HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Who won't be back? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=71865)

barrytrotzsneck 04-18-2004 06:23 PM

Who won't be back?

Make some guesses, and explain.

Greg Johnson- He's been good in his time here, but he's really always been a journeyman guy whose been thrown into the captain role. I think that Johnson is gone, Walker takes over the C, and Upshall takes his place. Besides, he makes an awful lot of money to be a third line center and second penalty-kill guy.

Jason York- was good for Dan Hamhuis...but Hamhuis plays a similar style game...but much better. Hammer won't be a rookie next year, and York makes 2 million dollars.

Denis Arkhipov- I know a lot might disagree, but I think a big statement was made when he didn't play in ONE playoff game. I think this year was his "okay, time to prove yourself" year...and he blew it.

some others that probably don't need much comment:

Zholtok
Allison

some maybes that I would like to see retained:

Stevenson
Hnidy
Bombardir

I think that only one of Upshall and Shishkanov will make the team...and I lean toward Upshall. I know that everyone wants to see Shish up next year...but I'd rather he got one more solid year in the minors before we do that. Maybe give him some more call up time...and use him in situations more conducive to his game...but let him develop one more year. I think Gamache has a decent shot of making the team, if he plays in camp the way he did in his limited call-up time. I think he has just as much shot of being a big-time scorer as Shishkanov. The size knock is applicable...but that's what they said about St. Louis, too. I'd hate to see us blow this guy...and have to feel what calgary feels.

hillbilly 04-18-2004 06:34 PM

it's hard to say whose forsure going to be gone and I don't know who is for sure under contract so I will say it's possible that

York
Murray
Johnson
Allison
Hnidy
Johannson
Bombardir
Zholtok
Stevenson(although I really hope not)
Orszagh(not hoping but it's possible)

darth5 04-18-2004 08:01 PM

I agree with some of your comments on the Vets, but you left out Murray-- maybe because he is obviously done.
I wonder about Upshall or Shish-- what a great problem to have-- but aren't their games different?

Maybe we should consider the question in terms of obvious need: Preds need centers who are solid in faceoffs (playoffs proved this). Hall may be moved to center, but if Arkhi and Zholtok aren't back, we need a couple of good centers in the lineup. York is weak and should go.

hillbilly 04-18-2004 08:08 PM

fill in the question marks I guess, does anyone know Orszagh's contract status

Sullivan-Legwand-Walker
Erat-?-Hartnell
?-Hall-Upshall
Tootoo-Stevenson-McKenzie

PredsFan77* 04-18-2004 08:33 PM

I wish we would get rid of McKenzie...

hillbilly 04-18-2004 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsFan77
I wish we would get rid of McKenzie...

I think Having McKenzie has been good for Tootoo, after this next year McKenzie will likely retire and Yablonski or some other young enforcer will take his place

Enoch 04-18-2004 09:31 PM

Stevenson, Hnidy, and Bombadir will all be here next season, as well Sullivan. Hnidy is only 27 and making a low 700k. He is the only physical dman we have right now that is NHL ready. Stevenson was handed too much of a role for me to believe he is gone. He recieved PP time and was given the start over Arkhipov....Didn't Bomber say he wanted to play for Nashville?!?! We would be crazy to not keep at least one experienced d-men other than Kimmo. York = gone. Terrible in games 5 & 6......his pay check is too high, especially considering his linemates are looking like they will be better than him for the remainder of his time here.

Arkhipov = draft day trade!?!? Not given one playoff game.....I have to believe that if a decent deal is offered, the kid is gone. Maybe Colorado will rip us another hole this off-season :cry:

Johnson.....2 million is too much. Sullivan will likely be given Greg's money. Its unfortunate as Greg had a decent playoff series, but for all intents and purposes....he was invisible for most of the season.

Zholtok = gone, unless he has some desire to stay in Nashville. Trotz didn't give him any type of role until game 5/6, and he does not have enough of a faceoff prescense for us to want to keep him on the payroll.

A.J. is the only one I really do not have a feel for. We need his scoring touch, but he would be expensive and injury prone......what to do?!?

Drury77 04-18-2004 10:07 PM

Here is a list of our FA's this offseason....

My thoughts are in red and their pay is also added.

Brad Bombardir, (III) maybe keeper - good vet, thought he fit in better as his time NAS went on $825K
Wade Flaherty, (III) Gone or Ads only
Tony Hrkac, (III) Ads Keeper
Andreas Johansson, (III) I think he goes, not very productive this yr. $900K
Greg Johnson, (III) gone $1,6 Mil
Jim McKenzie, (III) plz be gone $650K
Jason York, (III) not sure - Kinda expensive $2 Mil
Sergei Zholtok, (III) gone i think $1,225 Mil

Mathieu Darche, (VI) ads
Mike Farrell, (VI) ads
Jay Henderson, (VI) ads
Robert Schnabel, (VI) keeper
Ray Schultz, (VI) maybe keeper
Wyatt Smith, (VI) Ads / maybe keeper

Jamie Allison, (II) maybe keeper if cheaply $400K
Denis Arkhipov, (II) time to move on sir $1 Mil
Greg Classen, (II) ads?
Mark Eaton, (II) keeper - cheap even with raise $400K
Martin Erat, (II) keeper - he deserves a big raise $660K
Brian Finley, (II) keeper
Simon Gamache, (II) Ads / maybe keeper
Adam Hall, (II) keeper $685K
Scott Hartnell, (II) keeper $1,182,500 Mil
Shane Hnidy, (II) I like him - keeper - not very expensive $725K
Andrew Hutchinson, (II) keeper
David Legwand, (II) keeper??- Kinda expensive for lack of production/inconsistency $1,575 Mil
Chris Mason, (II) maybe keeper- played solidly when called on and very cheap too $400K
Vladimir Orszagh, (II) keeper $700K
Kiril Safranov, (II) ads / maybe keeper
Jeremy Stevenson, (II) keeper $400K
Steve Sullivan, (II) Please keep $3 Mil
Tomas Vokoun, (II) keeper $1,2 Mil
Marek Zidlicky, (II) keeper $500K

hillbilly 04-18-2004 10:43 PM

I'm not posotive but I think McKenzie has another deal on his contract

Enoch 04-18-2004 11:20 PM

I wouldn't call 1.5 million for 40+ points and great defensive play expensive, but I guess thats just me ;).

Also, was Wyatt Smith not claimed off waivers?

hillbilly 04-18-2004 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
I wouldn't call 1.5 million for 40+ points and great defensive play expensive, but I guess thats just me ;).

Also, was Wyatt Smith not claimed off waivers?

Smith was not claimed

Enoch 04-18-2004 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly
Smith was not claimed

I guess I'm just thinking of Jason Morgan, and mixing in fears of losing another guy to waivers :blush:

hillbilly 04-18-2004 11:46 PM

Quote:

I guess I'm just thinking of Jason Morgan, and mixing in fears of losing another guy to waivers :blush:

perhaps we should have just traded Morgan to Chicago for Niemenen, atleast then he couldn't have cheap shotted Hnidy. I can't wait for a couple games next season there is some major pay back to be issued against Calgary and Detroit

ohlund2.2 04-19-2004 12:43 AM

Quote:

perhaps we should have just traded Morgan to Chicago for Niemenen, atleast then he couldn't have cheap shotted Hnidy. I can't wait for a couple games next season there is some major pay back to be issued against Calgary and Detroit

We'll take care of the Calgary payback tomorrow night. ;)

hillbilly 04-19-2004 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohlund2.2
We'll take care of the Calgary payback tomorrow night. ;)

As much as I dislike certain Calgary players my dislike for Bertuzzi, Cooke, Allen, and Ruutu is more then that of the entire Calgary team

barrytrotzsneck 04-19-2004 02:07 AM

Quote:

As much as I dislike certain Calgary players my dislike for Bertuzzi, Cooke, Allen, and Ruutu is more then that of the entire Calgary team

i'm a big Vancouver fan in that series. I only hope Auld can hold up in game seven...because I'd be very nervous if I were Canucks fans. His five hole is big enough to drive a truck through.

hillbilly 04-19-2004 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
i'm a big Vancouver fan in that series. I only hope Auld can hold up in game seven...because I'd be very nervous if I were Canucks fans. His five hole is big enough to drive a truck through.

Given a chance I'd try and drive a truck over 1/3 of the Vancouver players ;)

triggrman 04-19-2004 07:40 AM

I read that Mark Eaton was not going to the World's so he could stay and complete another training session like he did last season. If he makes half the jump this summer he did last summer he'll be by far our best defenseman, I'd like to see Hamhuis work out with him.

Enoch 04-19-2004 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
I read that Mark Eaton was not going to the World's so he could stay and complete another training session like he did last season. If he makes half the jump this summer he did last summer he'll be by far our best defenseman, I'd like to see Hamhuis work out with him.

As long as Hammer's speed doesn't diminish, then I'm all for him adding some weight. Dan isn't that fast right now, and I would hate to see him lose a lot of foot mobility for some extra muscle.

triggrman 04-19-2004 07:51 AM

I like his mobility, and his speed, and Eaton didn't lose a step

SmokeyClause 04-19-2004 07:59 AM

Quote:

I like his mobility, and his speed, and Eaton didn't lose a step

Eaton seems very committed to his weight program. You don't gain 10+ pounds in the offseason unless you are committed to something. I'd love to see him put another 10 pounds at the most on. Maybe he can drop a touch more fat (if it's possible) and pack on some more muscle in the upperbody. It's touch and go with lower body and skating ability. You don't want them to bulk up too much or they can quickly become ineffective skaters. With the upperbody, increased strength can decrease stickhandling and the like. But I would like to see him get bigger up there. He needs to be able to toss around some of the smaller to medium sized players.

As for Hammer, he needs a nice trip to the weight room. He gained quite a bit of weight from last year to this one and I'd like to see him at 215. You don't always have to be stronger, just smarter. Doug Gilmour is a twig but could muscle some bigger players around. Dan will learn to use his head as much as his strength to move people around.

And neither has great speed. I think Bombardir is the only skater we have with good speed. Eaton is above average and Hammer is about the same. Both make up for it with sound positioning and excellent skating skills. But it would be nice to have a Dman with Neidermeyer or Jovo speed.

triggrman 04-19-2004 08:03 AM

I wasn't saying either was fast but both have good speed and good mobility. Other than Hnidy, Allison and York I'd say all of oiur defensemen are really good skaters and York would be average.

SmokeyClause 04-19-2004 04:18 PM

Quote:

I wasn't saying either was fast but both have good speed and good mobility. Other than Hnidy, Allison and York I'd say all of oiur defensemen are really good skaters and York would be average.

Agreed. We have a very, very good skating D-Core. Allison and Hnidy are your typical bangers who can't skate. York is efficient if not spectacular. Hamhuis, Eaton, Bombardir, and Timonen can skate with most anyone (just not in a straight line).

Enoch 04-19-2004 04:37 PM

Hnidy is not THAT bad a skater. He isn't a Marian Gaborik, but he isn't a Peter Worrel either.

Joe T Choker 04-19-2004 04:38 PM

Quote:

Hnidy is not THAT bad a skater. He isn't a Marian Gaborik, but he isn't a Peter Worrel either.

Now Worrell, that guy is a TERRIBLE skater...why is he employed in the NHL again? :shakehead :D :teach: