HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Am I the only one ready to and comfortable with dumping Threeormore? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=719065)

Mr Gone 12-28-2009 09:33 PM

Am I the only one ready to and comfortable with dumping Threeormore?

If things go well the next month with Varlamov”s health. I am ready to dump Theodore. We have seen what Neuvirth can do. And the extra cash can go to deadline player rentals.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 12-28-2009 09:33 PM

I think you should live up to your name.

Darkproducer 12-28-2009 09:35 PM

i didnt see 2night's game, but I wouldnt be all that angry if gmgm traded him. I know a lot of people support him but he will prolly be benched in the PO's anyway so why keep him around ;)

Fallschirmyager 12-28-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkproducer (Post 22884329)
i didnt see 2night's game, but I wouldnt be all that angry if gmgm traded him. I know a lot of people support him but he will prolly be benched in the PO's anyway so why keep him around ;)

i only got to see the 3rd and frankly, it looked like the team was playing like sh**. goal #5 was terrible. He's not building any confidence with anyone.

Mothra 12-28-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Gone (Post 22884263)
If things go well the next month with Varlamov”s health. I am ready to dump Theodore. We have seen what Neuvirth can do. And the extra cash can go to deadline player rentals.

The two rookies have a total of 27 career regular season NHL starts between them

Foy 12-28-2009 09:44 PM

I'm fine with letting him go in the offseason provided we get back an acceptable mentor/backup (Like say . . . Brent Johnson?) but I'm not going into the playoffs with two rookies.

TheFountainhead 12-28-2009 09:47 PM

The team didn't show up at all for the first period. You can't do that against any NHL, irrespective of their record, and expect to win consistently. With that said, Theo did have one of his games where he looked like he'd never played goal before in his life. The fifth goal was embarrassing. He didt just drop to his knees on the initial shot attempt, he freaking belly flopped. Inexcusably bad goaltending there.

BPMrules 12-28-2009 09:51 PM

I'll say that he isn't doing anything positive for this team right now, imo. He is starting to complain about his lack of starts(his comments after practice the other day, re: Neuvirth getting the start), and when he is, isn't playing very good, lately. With the uncertainty of the return of Varlamov, I'd say that he probably is going to get another couple games off. If that's the case, I look forward to more whining, and with the departure of Chris Clark, I don't think that'll be good for the composure of our locker room. The guys are obviously reeling enough as it is, having Threeormore spinning around the room in a complaint tornado isn't gonna help.
After watching the game tonight, I'll say that the boys weren't exactly playing inspired hockey in front of him, but it doesn't help either when you're giving up a good amount of rebounds, either. Both are to blame for tonight, but the rest of the season, a lot of it is on him.
However, not having an experienced goaltender in the playoffs, whether he is starting or not, can hurt a team trying to get the Cup. I don't know that I trust the Varly/Neuvy combo in net, even though Varly did so well for us last year.
What it comes down to is that he needs to get it together, or he's probably going to wind up being benched or dealt.

TheFountainhead 12-28-2009 09:52 PM

My last post should read "NHL team." I still can't edit from my Blackberry. My apologies.

DrPP 12-28-2009 09:56 PM

Theodore is consistently inconsistent. Every ******* time I think he's ******* turning the ******* corner, he ******* plays like tonight. If the Caps goalie makes a couple big saves, they'll be in the game. About half the time, Theodore doesn't make those big saves or gives up soft ones. It's too ******* bad because I was really ******* pulling for him.

Look at his game log. 20 games played with 10 good games and 10 bad games. Not much in between.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...eason=20092010

mcvey 12-28-2009 10:40 PM

Dump Theo? Hahahah no. Let's not do that.

Yeah let's dump our veteran goalie who is far and away one of the best "backups" in the NHL at the moment and rely on two absolute rookie goalies for the playoffs. That's a winning forumla right there. We have a legitimate shot at the Cup this year, let's not screw it up.

Real. Good. Idea.

Alex28* 12-28-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcvey (Post 22886253)

Yeah let's dump our veteran goalie who is far and away one of the best "backups" in the NHL at the moment and rely on two absolute rookie goalies for the playoffs. That's a winning forumla right there. We have a legitimate shot at the Cup this year, let's not screw it up.

Real. Good. Idea.

Didn't realize how important his benchwarming was in the playoffs last year.

Duke33 12-28-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Gone (Post 22884263)

You can't dump him, but he's definitley going to be fighting Neuvirth for 3rd string now. The guy isn't good. Listening to the people defending him on the post game show coming home from the game made me shake my head. How many excuses are going to be made for this guy? His GA and save % speak for themselves. Sure the defense was terrible tonight, and overall the whole team was. But it's not like Theodore's been a solid goaltender all year then he gets screwed by a bad defense every now and then.

He gives up soft goals and rebounds like he's passing out candy. He makes comments at practice about not getting a particular start the other day, then gets a start against the worst team in the league and has a bad game. Way to show Boudreau he was wrong Theo.

It's probably safe to think that the team is going to be going with either the young guys at combo next year, with maybe another cheaper vet brought in. Like I said originally, you can't dump Theo but they can certainly start phasing him out.

mcvey 12-28-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex28 (Post 22886302)

I'd rather have the option of throwing to him than Neuvirth if Varlamov is hurt in the playoffs. We got extremely lucky with Varly last post season and the way he handled the pressure but it sure helped we were facing a pretty offensively inept NYR team in the first round. I just wouldn't feel comfortable giving that role to Neuvirth. If you're going to dump Theo, do it right now and give Neuvirth as much experience as you can without looking back.

CapitalsCupFantasy 12-28-2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcvey (Post 22886253)

Real. Good. Idea.

Even when Varly stumbled in the playoffs last season, Theo wasn't called into duty.

Why do we need a vet goalie who is stinking like yesterday's fish? We need a vet cheerleader??

Theo hasn't responded at all since he lost the starter's job. I'm not sure how anyone can defend keeping a guy who does nothing but hurt the team. Waive his ass to Hershey and recall him if needed.

CapitalsCupFantasy 12-28-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molseed (Post 22886425)
You can't dump him, but he's definitley going to be fighting Neuvirth for 3rd string now. The guy isn't good. Listening to the people defending him on the post game show coming home from the game made me shake my head. How many excuses are going to be made for this guy? His GA and save % speak for themselves. Sure the defense was terrible tonight, and overall the whole team was. But it's not like Theodore's been a solid goaltender all year then he gets screwed by a bad defense every now and then.

He gives up soft goals and rebounds like he's passing out candy. He makes comments at practice about not getting a particular start the other day, then gets a start against the worst team in the league and has a bad game. Way to show Boudreau he was wrong Theo.

It's probably safe to think that the team is going to be going with either the young guys at combo next year, with maybe another cheaper vet brought in. Like I said originally, you can't dump Theo but they can certainly start phasing him out.

I felt the same way. Sometimes the D makes mistakes. Sometimes the goalie just needs to make some stops. He has to find a way. I doubt Theo had more than 5 tough stops all night.

Mothra 12-28-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex28 (Post 22886302)

im not surprised you didnt

JawandaPuck 12-28-2009 10:59 PM

The best true backup (not some #1 in waiting) in the biz is the Moose in ATL, And he may become available as a cheap rental if ATL becomes a seller at the deadline.

Mothra 12-28-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 (Post 22886610)
Even when Varly stumbled in the playoffs last season, Theo wasn't called into duty.

Why do we need a vet goalie who is stinking like yesterday's fish? We need a vet cheerleader??

Theo hasn't responded at all since he lost the starter's job. I'm not sure how anyone can defend keeping a guy who does nothing but hurt the team. Waive his ass to Hershey and recall him if needed.

last season was last season....besides that they had already made their goalie move. Im not sure going back to Theo was ever an option after they went with Varly after 1 game.

Im not trying to defend him but the idea of going into the playoffs with 2 rookies who between them have barely 1/4 of a full NHL season of games under their belts just isnt a good idea. Theo did have a pretty solid Oct, and thats an important month to play well too. We just saw one of the rookies play an equally as bad game a couple weeks ago.

Mothra 12-28-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BPMrules (Post 22884877)
having Threeormore spinning around the room in a complaint tornado isn't gonna help.

Is there any possible way you can exaggerate this just a little bit more

Icexoke 12-28-2009 11:16 PM

Varlamov:
35 total NHL games
21 years old

Neuvirth:
10 total NHL games
21 years old

It does not make sense to ride two twenty one year olds into the playoffs. Varlamov proved himself last year, but who knows what can happen. What if he reinjures his groin?

We would be playing Neuvirth a 21 year old who currently has 10 NHL games experience. He has not "proven" anything. He has never been in a high pressure situation like the NHL playoffs. Don't forget his first two games this season-

DEC 12 '09 WSH @ TOR L 6 36 30 .833
NOV 20 '09 MTL @ WSH L 3 22 19 .864

This is not a knock on Neuvirth, but I feel more comfortable with Theodore as the back up (if he doesn't win the starting job back).

Duke33 12-28-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothra (Post 22886826)
last season was last season....besides that they had already made their goalie move. Im not sure going back to Theo was ever an option after they went with Varly after 1 game.

Im not trying to defend him but the idea of going into the playoffs with 2 rookies who between them have barely 1/4 of a full NHL season of games under their belts just isnt a good idea. Theo did have a pretty solid Oct, and thats an important month to play well too. We just saw one of the rookies play an equally as bad game a couple weeks ago.

The playoffs don't start tomorrow. Ideally Varlamov will get most of the starts between now and the end of the reg. season once he's healthy, that will get a lot more experience under his belt. If he can win a playoff series and then take Pittsburgh to 7 games as a raw rookie, I'm fine with him being the guy in the playoffs with 3/4 a season of experience. Especially since I think the Caps are a better team this year and hopefully will use some of the $$ they've freed up to improve the defense as well.

CapitalsCupFantasy 12-28-2009 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothra (Post 22886826)

Don't get me wrong....Neuvirth makes me nervous, but Theo is a detriment on the ice right now. I understand that the guy has had a horrible year off ice, but maybe he should take a month off and come back with a new look on things. Dunno...he's clearly not the answer.

BrooklynCapsFan 12-28-2009 11:45 PM

I don't get the "can't go into the playoffs with 2 rookies" reasoning.

There's no doubt about who the postseason starter is. And if Varly lays an egg, I have little faith that Theo picks it up and carries us to the Cup. Basically if it gets to the point where the backup starts in the postseason, we're screwed no matter who it is.

I doubt we move Theo, but if we do, I'm not any more worried than if we keep him.

sillygoose 12-29-2009 12:00 AM

i like theo, and as long as he isn't a problem in the lockerroom i would hope they keep him, but if they did manage to move him i wouldn't mind. that said, they don't really need him to move him for cap space i don't think, they got enough i assume. BRING IN KOVY MOVE THEO!!!!!!!!!!!.