HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rumor: Pens Scouting Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=719181)

SprootsMasterFlex 12-29-2009 08:02 AM

Pens Scouting Kings
 
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matth...Wild/125/25182

Let the Trade Talks Continue: Scouts for Atlanta, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Toronto were in attendance tonight along with regulars from Boston and Dallas - Speaking to one of them following the game tonight, they believe the Kings will probably make a deal in the next few days. (my money is on Ponikarovsky or Hagman)

wej20 12-29-2009 08:19 AM

I'm guessing Poni and Stempniak. I'd rather have Poni at the deadline and look at Stempniak in the Offseason.

CertifiedPublicGuin 12-29-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 22890461)
I'm guessing Poni and Stempniak. I'd rather have Poni at the deadline and look at Stempniak in the Offseason.

These teams were scouting the Kings.

IMO nothing will come from this on our end. The Kings may make a deal sometime soon, seeing as how they're starting to slip, but the Pens don't really have the room to make a move, unless they're moving salary the other way.

Sotty 12-29-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CertifiedPublicGuin (Post 22890480)
These teams were scouting the Kings.

IMO nothing will come from this on our end. The Kings may make a deal sometime soon, seeing as how they're starting to slip, but the Pens don't really have the room to make a move, unless they're moving salary the other way.

... or the Wild. ;)

AgentM 12-29-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IEC (Post 22890490)
... or the Wild. ;)

Weren't there some guys around here hoping to acquire Andrew Brunette from Minnesota at the deadline this year?

SprootsMasterFlex 12-29-2009 08:38 AM

Actually, I recall Teddy Purcell being on the trade block this year. He'd be a great pickup. I could imagine Shero being interested in moving Fedotenko this year, if he continues his slump. Maybe the Kings would be interested in swapping them?

vyktor 12-29-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IEC (Post 22890490)
... or the Wild. ;)

That's what I was thinking, not like there aren't any connections between the 2 teams, but what would the Pens want from the Wild?

wej20 12-29-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex (Post 22890527)
Actually, I recall Teddy Purcell being on the trade block this year. He'd be a great pickup. I could imagine Shero being interested in moving Fedotenko this year, if he continues his slump. Maybe the Kings would be interested in swapping them?

if it's a choice between Feds and Purcell for the playoffs, it's Fed's every time.

SprootsMasterFlex 12-29-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 22890623)
if it's a choice between Feds and Purcell for the playoffs, it's Fed's every time.


I'd take advantage of that and use it as a bargaining tool @ the trade deadline. We need competent wingers who are relatively cheap (and hard to come by in this Salary Cap era).

Captain Hook 12-29-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentM (Post 22890510)
Weren't there some guys around here hoping to acquire Andrew Brunette from Minnesota at the deadline this year?

He's got another year left on his deal beyond this year. I don't think Shero wants any part of that. I don't see anything on Minnesota's roster that we'd be after, unless the Pens want Sykora back :sarcasm: or Owen Nolan.

JTG 12-29-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 22890623)
if it's a choice between Feds and Purcell for the playoffs, it's Fed's every time.

Yeah exactly. Every single time.

Purcell has done nothing to suggest he is even an NHL caliber player thus far in his career.

PKV Jungle Friends 12-29-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Hook (Post 22890811)
He's got another year left on his deal beyond this year. I don't think Shero wants any part of that. I don't see anything on Minnesota's roster that we'd be after, unless the Pens want Sykora back :sarcasm: or Owen Nolan.

I could see Owen Nolan happening. Another Billy G type of older, gritty guy that would be thrown out with Sid and passed off as a reasonable alternative to a real winger.

If Tkachuk didn't make so much money, then I would go after him.

Ugene Malkin 12-29-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends (Post 22892102)
I could see Owen Nolan happening. Another Billy G type of older, gritty guy that would be thrown out with Sid and passed off as a reasonable alternative to a real winger.

If Tkachuk didn't make so much money, then I would go after him.

He is only a 2.150 cap hit and .502 at the deadline.

Ugene Malkin 12-29-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 22890461)
I'm guessing Poni and Stempniak. I'd rather have Poni at the deadline and look at Stempniak in the Offseason.

I believe he was referring too the kings.

Kunitziwa 12-29-2009 12:47 PM

Dustin Brown for a second is fair right? Ill make a thread in the trade proposal section to be sure.

td_ice 12-29-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaalForOne (Post 22892952)
Dustin Brown for a second is fair right? Ill make a thread in the trade proposal section to be sure.

lol, good one.

While you're over there, see if you can get some sort of deal with Kaberle and Staal as the main components. Something new.

Jag68Sid87 12-29-2009 01:55 PM

Oscar Moller isn't playing much. Scott Parse has some game. Purcell is more meh in my eyes. Every now and again, these LA-Pit rumors pop up...there was that Malkin talk during draft day a few years back, the Jack Johnson-Jordan Staal rumors, the Dustin Brown-Jordan Staal rumors...ya gotta wonder if at some point there is some truth here.

BTW, I want NO part of Alexei Ponikarovsky. Burke will want quite a bit for his top-six winger, but he is far better suited to being on the third line. He's not a finisher. Period.

Owen Nolan is starting to sound intriguing to me. Andrew Brunette would be great. And, as you all know, I'm a big Guillaume Latendresse fan but I doubt Chuck Fletcher wants to part with him at this point.

I wonder if Fletcher still has his eyes on Fedotenko and Lovejoy, from that rumor way back during draft week?

cassius 12-29-2009 02:03 PM

Purcell seems to be a likely target.

- top 6 skills
- definitely has size going for him
- right handed shot
- fallen out of favor with the kings lineup
- could be acquired for a modest price
- low risk / high reward

AgentM 12-29-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends (Post 22892102)
I could see Owen Nolan happening. Another Billy G type of older, gritty guy that would be thrown out with Sid and passed off as a reasonable alternative to a real winger.

If Tkachuk didn't make so much money, then I would go after him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by odds (Post 22892541)
He is only a 2.150 cap hit and .502 at the deadline.

I'm not sure why some people are so against Tkachuk around here. I'd be okay with Nolan as a rental but would prefer Tkachuk:

Owen Nolan - RW
Games Played - 35
Goals - 9
Assists - 7
Cap hit $2.75m

Keith Tkachuk - LW/C
Games Played - 36
Goals - 8
Assists - 13
Cap hit $2.15m

Tkachuk is also good at faceoffs which would help on Geno's line. Nolan is a righty though and some people will drool over that :laugh:

SprootsMasterFlex 12-29-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassius (Post 22894122)
Purcell seems to be a likely target.

- top 6 skills
- definitely has size going for him
- right handed shot
- fallen out of favor with the kings lineup
- could be acquired for a modest price
- low risk / high reward

I agree. My reasoning was giving up next to nothing to get him. This would be more along what Shero is looking for.

Ugene Malkin 12-29-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentM (Post 22894693)
I'm not sure why some people are so against Tkachuk around here. I'd be okay with Nolan as a rental but would prefer Tkachuk:

Owen Nolan - RW
Games Played - 35
Goals - 9
Assists - 7
Cap hit – $2.75m

Keith Tkachuk - LW/C
Games Played - 36
Goals - 8
Assists - 13
Cap hit – $2.15m

Tkachuk is also good at faceoffs which would help on Geno's line. Nolan is a righty though and some people will drool over that :laugh:

Nolan pass.

Tkachuk
Don't get me wrong here because I am not a big fan of him now in his twilight years but if they do pick him up I would not balk at it and he would not be my first choice.

When I look around, I see one player who is young enough and skilled enough who comes very cheap, is Poni. He is my choice over all others in my mind and if Selanne would drop his NTC and came here would be my first over Poni. The biggest difference is that they have a better chance of retaining Poni on July 1st.

So if anyone would ask me, Poni would be my pick at the deadline and for our UFA signing for next year. Just makes too much sense.IMO

Darth Vitale 12-29-2009 03:44 PM

Nolan is a dewshbag. No way I'd want him in our locker-room. When it comes to the old guy goal scorers, I think we have the right one and the only one that fits here, mostly because of his personality. Guerin, and even he was a bit of a risk IMO. It panned out OK so let's not push our luck. Even Tkachuk has been known to be a PITA at times, though he may have mellowed? Anyway, no thanks. Youngish talent or don't make a trade IMO. We don't need any additional "slowing down but still talented" guys.

Ugene Malkin 12-29-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex (Post 22895611)
I agree. My reasoning was giving up next to nothing to get him. This would be more along what Shero is looking for.

An unproven RFA for a playoff push, sure it would not be some kind of veteran or more proven player on a down slide?

Jag68Sid87 12-29-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippo (Post 22895681)
Nolan is a dewshbag. No way I'd want him in our locker-room. When it comes to the old guy goal scorers, I think we have the right one and the only one that fits here, mostly because of his personality. Guerin, and even he was a bit of a risk IMO. It panned out OK so let's not push our luck. Even Tkachuk has been known to be a PITA at times, though he may have mellowed? Anyway, no thanks. Youngish talent or don't make a trade IMO. We don't need any additional "slowing down but still talented" guys.

Guerin had the same reputation Nolan has before he joined us. Both have been known to be a little uncaring at times, and yet both have been NHL captains. And both have a history of being good snipers.

I'm not saying we need a second Guerin, but I wouldn't completely rule it out on the cheap.

Cairbre 12-29-2009 04:35 PM

I'm actually a big fan of Nolan. I think he's a good team guy.

I remember a game last year he actually the gloves with Orr to stick up for his team. I don't think he's anyone's first choice, but I'm not ready to rule him out. Just my opinion, though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.