HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   QMJHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   Expention. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=719408)

yanokovich 12-29-2009 09:26 PM

Expention.
 
Why not having 20 teams,city like Fredericton,Trois-Rivieres(the mayor want to build a new arena)Sherbrooke or a city in new-england.to bring the Q to 20 teams.

BobbyRyan9 12-29-2009 09:36 PM

I think you mean expansion? Well as of right now, there are a couple of teams who aren't faring too well (Lewiston and Bathurst). So it would maybe sound more reasonable to relocate rather than expand right now, especially with the way the economy has been. I know Fredricton doesn't want a junior team because of the UNB. Lewiston was trying to relocate there last season but couldn't because of this. Sherbrooke might work as they have the population to support a team, but teams have failed there in the past. With the way Lewiston is going right now with low attendence records, putting another team in New England probably wouldn't work. There wouldn't be much of a following in the New England region anyways, the AHL is much more established and known in the area. My guess is there won't be any expansion in the near future, but relocation is always possible.

yanokovich 12-29-2009 09:38 PM

They prefers UNB then junior major?

BobbyRyan9 12-29-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanokovich (Post 22903317)
They prefers UNB then junior major?

In Fredricton they do, they really back their university team. It would usually be the other way around in most cities, but I guess the demographic is different there. It would make a good rivalry with the other New Brunswick teams if they did get a team though.

wjhl2009fan 12-30-2009 07:05 AM

I could see cornwall or hawkesbury joining some time in the next few years.

yanokovich 12-30-2009 07:54 AM

Why not 2 teams,in fredericton,UNB and junior major?Return to St-John Newfoundland?I no that a group some 2-3 years ago want a team in Sept-Iles.

rick1042 12-30-2009 08:31 AM

I am more for the idea of eliminating two teams.

Although many very good players are coming out from the maritime provinces, there are less youngsters playing hockey in Quebec. Furthermore, more of them are choosing to play in U.S. colleges. I think this has diluted the product a little.

A few journalists that cover the QJMHL have commented to me that the quality of the games have dropped quite a little in the last few seasons and lack of depth in most the teams has been a major reason. I believe this has hurt the development of some of the players.

yanokovich 12-30-2009 09:04 AM

The ploblem was we dont have enough American players vs what the west and Ontario have.

yanokovich 12-30-2009 09:07 AM

WHL:39 Americans
OHL:59 Americans
Q:5 Americans

rick1042 12-30-2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanokovich (Post 22907738)
The ploblem was we dont have enough American players vs what the west and Ontario have.

That is not about to change anytime soon i believe. I don't see many Americans wanting to come to Quebec to play in Val D'or, Rouyn-Noranda, etc.

It's just another reason why i believe the answer lies in contraction more than expansion.

BobbyRyan9 12-30-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanokovich (Post 22907204)
Why not 2 teams,in fredericton,UNB and junior major?Return to St-John Newfoundland?I no that a group some 2-3 years ago want a team in Sept-Iles.

I know a lot of people want the return of a team to St. John's due to how quickly they left before. But there is always the travel issues and the costs that go with it. It isn't the easiest location to work with, but it is definitely possible to put a team there again.

Frankie 12-30-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyRyan9 (Post 22908758)
I know a lot of people want the return of a team to St. John's due to how quickly they left before. But there is always the travel issues and the costs that go with it. It isn't the easiest location to work with, but it is definitely possible to put a team there again.

a q team is currently tentatively sold to a group from st.john's, pending a lease agreement with mile one centre.

wjhl2009fan 12-30-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 22911664)
a q team is currently tentatively sold to a group from st.john's, pending a lease agreement with mile one centre.

Do you know which team.

QcS 12-30-2009 12:35 PM

My guess would be Lewiston?

Frankie 12-30-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan (Post 22911743)
Do you know which team.

no i don't know...but i'm pretty sure its a team currently based in quebec. its not lewiston.

yanokovich 12-30-2009 12:43 PM

Any city in the u.s,could be interested?

james bond 12-30-2009 12:47 PM

Does anyone know what the Lewiston team has done to promote the team or the sport? Have they given it a earnest effort? Sportsmaniac guy, you must know.

wjhl2009fan 12-30-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 22911926)
no i don't know...but i'm pretty sure its a team currently based in quebec. its not lewiston.

I hope its not gatineau.

yanokovich 12-30-2009 01:08 PM

Newfoundland players could where they whant,since they have no team?

CH4 12-30-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick1042 (Post 22907465)
I am more for the idea of eliminating two teams.

Although many very good players are coming out from the maritime provinces, there are less youngsters playing hockey in Quebec. Furthermore, more of them are choosing to play in U.S. colleges. I think this has diluted the product a little.

A few journalists that cover the QJMHL have commented to me that the quality of the games have dropped quite a little in the last few seasons and lack of depth in most the teams has been a major reason. I believe this has hurt the development of some of the players.

This.

Calibre is already diluted enough as it is.

plus many teams have low attendance and struggle to succeed.

why add 2 teams into a league that struggles, attendance are on a constant downgrade?

just a bad idea, not feasible economically.

Canadienjet 12-30-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan (Post 22912220)
I hope its not gatineau.

Ill go with Baie Comeau...

CH4 12-30-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfiehabsfan (Post 22912843)
Ill go with Baie Comeau...

probably. their attendance have been brutal recently.

BobbyRyan9 12-30-2009 01:44 PM

Any possibility that Val-d'Or would me moved to St. John's? I would of mentioned Acadie-Bathurst as a potential mover to the rock, but obviously they're not from Québec. As far as Lewiston goes, I think they are here to stay for atleast a few more seasons. The failure of relocation last season made them think twice about trying to move again. They are trying hard to improve the team this season with advertising and what not.

CHRDANHUTCH 12-30-2009 02:05 PM

there are also rumblings that Hamilton ownership are looking at St. John's if the lease isn't agreed UPON with HECFI.....

Canadienjet 12-30-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyRyan9 (Post 22913313)
Any possibility that Val-d'Or would me moved to St. John's? I would of mentioned Acadie-Bathurst as a potential mover to the rock, but obviously they're not from Québec. As far as Lewiston goes, I think they are here to stay for atleast a few more seasons. The failure of relocation last season made them think twice about trying to move again. They are trying hard to improve the team this season with advertising and what not.

Val'Dor or Baie Comeau are the only two team I can think of that are in Quebec and are in serious trouble.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.