HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Back Yard Ice Rinks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=719953)

Leaf Lander 12-31-2009 02:35 AM

Back Yard Ice Rinks
 
Ok folks (Admins feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum)


Does any one here have a back yard rink?
Do you have the land for one?
Are yah interested in learning how to make one?

BTW what province or state are yah in

Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia here.

If you have one I have a group on fb for backyard ice hockey rinks

I am not advertising for home back yard rink kits I buy my materials from my lumber yard. I get way more material for a smaller price.

If you build a back yard rink please add a pic of it to my group here.

And if you want to learn how to build a back yard rink join as well!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...id=37945169062

Dr Grant 12-31-2009 02:39 AM

I was hoping to build one this winter, but the weather here in Windsor has been terrible for the most part.

Leaf Lander 12-31-2009 02:41 AM

too hot or too cold?


It is winter it will only get colder

and if it is too warm then hopefully it will only last for a few days the n get cold enough to refreeze the man made backyard ice rink

Dr Grant 12-31-2009 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Lander (Post 22928537)
too hot or too cold?


It is winter it will only get colder

and if it is too warm then hopefully it will only last for a few days the n get cold enough to refreeze the man made backyard ice rink

Too warm. Snow hasn't lasted more than a day here. I wouldn't be complaining if the weather was really cold.

vivianmb 12-31-2009 02:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i had a great backyard rink in connecticut. but here in winnipeg the park down the block has three outdoor rinks so i don't really need my own .

Leaf Lander 12-31-2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivianmb (Post 22928558)
i had a great backyard rink in connecticut. but here in winnipeg the park down the block has three outdoor rinks so i don't really need my own .

sweet

I tried to get my area councilor here in ns to build rinks for the kids to curb them away from drugs and other societal ills

Did she help no.


She told me they can pay 200 to get into minor hockey(But that is only twice a week)Backyard hockey is a daily event!

Hockey is fun, relatively safe and a life long exercise for anyone who is able to play,

It is a key ingredient to my healthy lifestyle and I think everyone should have a chance to live the dream:)

vivianmb 12-31-2009 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Lander (Post 22928581)
sweet

I tried to get my area councilor here in ns to build rinks for the kids to curb them away from drugs and other societal ills

Did she help no.


She told me they can pay 200 to get into minor hockey(But that is only twice a week)Backyard hockey is a daily event!

Hockey is fun, relatively safe and a life long exercise for anyone who is able to play,

It is a key ingredient to my healthy lifestyle and I think everyone should have a chance to live the dream:)

we have four community clubs in our part of winnipeg.each has at least one outdoor rink.
winnipeg has i'm going to guess 75-100 outdoor rinks .it really is great.

vivianmb 12-31-2009 03:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the first winter in winnipeg i froze the yard over.(no liner)we used snow as boards

Leaf Lander 12-31-2009 03:01 AM

Wow I am jealous. The Population here where I live is 20 000 there are zero outdoor rinks. Though there is a few outdoor ponds or sugar bowls to play on for free.


my kid is in minor hockey but i want him to get the extra ice time that he and my other son will need to take over the hockey world;)

Leaf Lander 12-31-2009 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivianmb (Post 22928619)
the first winter in winnipeg i froze the yard over.(no liner)we used snow as boards

ahh interesting but liner is so cheap and some yards are sloped so when yah flood them the water may keep going to your neighbours backyard or even worse your neighbours back entrance to their basements;)

vivianmb 12-31-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Lander (Post 22928634)
ahh interesting but liner is so cheap and some yards are sloped so when yah flood them the water may keep going to your neighbours backyard or even worse your neighbours back entrance to their basements;)

with the amount of snow on the ground a little water wont make much of a difference.
in connecticut the ground didn't get cold enough to NOT use a liner. here it freezes as your spraying it .although the liner gives you a MUCH better surface.

Hollywood Burrows 12-31-2009 03:43 AM

Growing up in Vancouver makes a backyard rink pretty much impossible. Makes me so sad :(

Leaf Lander 12-31-2009 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivianmb (Post 22928711)
with the amount of snow on the ground a little water wont make much of a difference.
in connecticut the ground didn't get cold enough to NOT use a liner. here it freezes as your spraying it .although the liner gives you a MUCH better surface.

my back yard ws once somebody garbage burning area so I am going to cover it with card board boxes and then ducktape them together so I have a nice cushioned barrier that will protect the liner for the pond.

vivianmb 12-31-2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Lander (Post 22928788)
my back yard ws once somebody garbage burning area so I am going to cover it with card board boxes and then ducktape them together so I have a nice cushioned barrier that will protect the liner for the pond.

water weighs A LOT.old carpet worked for me under my liners.

Leaf Lander 12-31-2009 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivianmb (Post 22928812)
water weighs A LOT.old carpet worked for me under my liners.

as long as nothing is pointing straight up i hope I'll be safe

doubt ill find old carpets or even want them haha

vivianmb 12-31-2009 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Lander (Post 22928836)
as long as nothing is pointing straight up i hope I'll be safe

doubt ill find old carpets or even want them haha

yeah i was lucky enough to have done some major renovating one october so i saved all of the ripped out carpet. the next years we saved all of the leaves we raked in bags, then spread them out as a "bedding" for the liner.what type of liner are you using. . because i always found small holes that needed to be patched . nothing like going barefoot in 6 inches of freezing water to patch a hole in the liner.
www.nicerink.com
they have all of the supplies you'll need. including "liner tape" this stuff fixes holes with out glue. it's amazing.
glace bay. i worked wqith a buch of boys form sydney last summer in thompson ,manitoiba. great bunch, we had a pissa'(fun time).

Teppo 12-31-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivianmb (Post 22928599)
we have four community clubs in our part of winnipeg.each has at least one outdoor rink.
winnipeg has i'm going to guess 75-100 outdoor rinks .it really is great.

75-100 seems really low...unless it has changed a lot since I grew up there in the 70's. Within 2 miles of where I grew up I can think of about 15 outdoor rinks. That has to translate to several hundred at least city wide. My guess would be 300 city wide.

DarrenBanks56 12-31-2009 09:54 AM

i'm in the process of making one.
I have it all framed with 2x6's. Its 30' wide by 40' long.

I just have to shovel all the snow out of the enclosed area, so that it wont rip the plastic liner when i put it down. I havent gotten to shoveling yet because it was 0 F here the past 2 days and the snow was like a rock.

vivianmb 12-31-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 (Post 22930402)
i'm in the process of making one.
I have it all framed with 2x6's. Its 30' wide by 40' long.

I just have to shovel all the snow out of the enclosed area, so that it wont rip the plastic liner when i put it down. I havent gotten to shoveling yet because it was 0 F here the past 2 days and the snow was like a rock.

the snow is perfect. soak it till it mushy. then put in the liner.

jefff 12-31-2009 12:26 PM

What do you guys use for liners and where do you get your liners?

Leaf Lander 12-31-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefff (Post 22932463)
What do you guys use for liners and where do you get your liners?

lumber yard

40 by a 100 water proof plastic sheet

vivianmb 12-31-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefff (Post 22932463)
What do you guys use for liners and where do you get your liners?

www.nicerink.com

Hockeyfan68 12-31-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivianmb (Post 22928619)
the first winter in winnipeg i froze the yard over.(no liner)we used snow as boards

I did that too for most of it, I used a white tarp for the lowest corner to help retain water.

-------------------------------------------------

Good luck with your backyard rink original poster! ... I made one for about 4 years straight until I realized using the local ones was easier since they were bigger and they had a firehose to make the ice.

My rink had a small garden hose which took a beating during the cold weather and would spring leaks.

Anyway this is how mine came out, it was decent sized for practice but not really big enough for adults to play on without having collisions.

I think it was about 30 by 60 feet.

Anyhew .... good luck with yours. The only advice I will give you is to use patieince, a rushed rink will never be good to you. Spray in layers about every 3 hours because if you don't your ice will be brittle and give out when making tight turns be chippy and have air pocket holes all over the place.

Patience patience patience .... I know people wish to have a rink in one day but it doesn't work that way.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...b455b19bad.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...66442e240b.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...bdbb30592c.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...a8bb22af84.jpg

jefff 01-01-2010 12:21 PM

Here is a photo of my back yard rink. It has been cold here in New Brunswick for the last week which has enabled me to get a good start. As long as the weather cooperates I will be able to increase its lenght. Each year I try to increase the size of the rink to meet the kids needs. My little guy is in Novice 1 this year and it looks like I will have to increase the size from 25 x 40 to about 30 x 60 for next year. The only problem is I'm running out of room in the back yard. I have lots of lenght but only about 40' width.

Leaf Lander 01-01-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivianmb (Post 22943719)

Expensive!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.