HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Gallagher: SHHHHH... It's a Conspiracy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=722975)

Wetcoaster 01-08-2010 12:21 PM

SHHHHH... It's a Conspiracy

Tony Gallagher must have watched one to many repeats of Mel Gibson's "Conspiracy Theory" movie.

According to Gollum the officials are helping out the Coyotes to curry favour with their bosses and help the owners recoup some losses by getting the Coyotes into the post-season.
Quote:

NHL's pet Coyotes get all the calls
By Tony Gallagher, The Province January 8, 2010
Well, as long as the league continues to own the Coyotes franchise, every fan who doesnít like a call in any given game which favours Phoenix ó as many seemed to do early in Thursday nightís game ó is going to have every reason to wonder whether officials who are paid by the league are favouring a league property.

Knowing the officials and the integrity almost every one of them brings to their profession every night, you would like to think such a thing is impossible. But when you have a situation like there is in the NHL these days, where it is clear that having the Coyotes make the playoffs would be a clear advantage to the league in so many ways, everyone has to be wondering whether human nature isnít just taking over. And it tends to be human nature to try to give your boss what you know he wants, or maybe even needs, whether itís conscious or subconscious.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...898/story.html

To assist Tony with his future columns might I suggest:
http://wallstreetexaminer.com/blogs/...hat-755294.jpg

lush 01-08-2010 12:25 PM

I can't believe I wasted my time skimming that article. Really wish I had that 45 seconds of my life back.

Alan Jackson 01-08-2010 12:26 PM

Well, it's probably ridiculous, but the League has left itself open to this type of criticism.

The optics of a League owned team isn't great.

Mr. Canucklehead 01-08-2010 12:26 PM

I saw that article, and while the reffing last night certainly seemed tilted in favour of the Coyotes, it didn't even cross my mind that it could be because the NHL owned them. I think John Garrett likely had it right--it was the same refs that the Coyotes had had the previous game, that the Coyotes had complained about, and the refs might have been going a bit soft on the Coyotes as a result of the complaining. Garrett said that was a reason he didn't like officials calling the same team in back to back games.

Jack Tripper 01-08-2010 12:30 PM

classic tony gallagher

i guess he missed the phoenix-edmonton game earlier this week where the coyotes got the short end of the officiating

when it was announced that the same refs from the edmonton game were doing the vancouver game, boarders from the coyotes board couldn't believe it

sometimes i wonder how many games this guy watches outside of the canucks

Barney Gumble 01-08-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Tripper (Post 23081891)
classic tony gallagher

i guess he missed the phoenix-edmonton game earlier this week where the coyotes got the short end of the officiating

when it was announced that the same refs from the edmonton game were doing the vancouver game, boarders from the coyotes board couldn't believe it

sometimes i wonder how many games this guy watches outside of the canucks

I'm thinking you're giving Gallagher too much credit. I wonder how many hockey games he watches period.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 01-08-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Jackson (Post 23081820)

Yeah, I guess not. IMO any bias that might have been shown by the refs to the Coyotes (against the Canucks at least) has been negligible, and the sort of help they could theoretically give them isn't enough to win games consistently.

Was anyone complaining about officiating when MLB owned the Expos?

Serious question.

bottomlesspop 01-08-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Well, it's probably ridiculous, but the League has left itself open to this type of criticism.

Strongly agree. While there may not be any truth to these theories, why put yourself a position for such scrutiny in the first place. It just feels slightly crooked and wrong for the boss to be in the running for employee of the year.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 01-08-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottomlesspop (Post 23082738)
Strongly agree. While there may not be any truth to these theories, why put yourself a position for such scrutiny in the first place.

Perhaps you're aware of the mess that was made by the previous owner in Phoenix?

(I guess I should just ask whether you're pro-Balsillie or not upfront, since I can't be bothered getting into that whole discussion :P )

Wetcoaster 01-08-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roddy (Post 23082693)
Yeah, I guess not. IMO any bias that might have been shown by the refs to the Coyotes (against the Canucks at least) has been negligible, and the sort of help they could theoretically give them isn't enough to win games consistently.

Serious question.

I was - but like at HF Forums no one paid attention to me.:D

Not so serious an answer.

Wetcoaster 01-08-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

It was a logical outcome of the "ABB" (Anybody But Balsillie) Strategy employed by the NHL.

Bucky Katt 01-08-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

But when you have a situation like there is in the NHL these days, where it is clear that having the Coyotes make the playoffs would be a clear advantage to the league in so many ways, everyone has to be wondering whether human nature isn’t just taking over. And it tends to be human nature to try to give your boss what you know he wants, or maybe even needs, whether it’s conscious or subconscious.
So Tony, I guess we have to question whether sports editors, who want to continue to have access to professional sports teams, have reporters working under them who tend to give into human nature and report favourably on the local professional sports teams, whether it's conscious or subconsious, to give their boss what they want.

Moobles 01-08-2010 01:45 PM

Canucks have had games like the Coyotes; given tons of breaks and did nothing with them. It's just how the NHL goes.

Way to take one game and extrapolate it to...league-wide conspiracy!!!

BrockH 01-08-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucky Katt (Post 23083054)
So Tony, I guess we have to question whether sports editors, who want to continue to have access to professional sports teams, have reporters working under them who tend to give into human nature and report favourably on the local professional sports teams, whether it's conscious or subconsious, to give their boss what they want.

I think this is said tongue-in-cheek, but I really do think that's the way it is? I think we often have to question if sports writers (and news writers in general) are reporting for the sake of accuracy or for the sake of sales. I don't think this is a good example to disprove Tony's theory (even though I do agree, Tony's theory is way off).

RandV 01-08-2010 01:48 PM

Hey, in a league that will rig a lotto draft to give Pittsburgh Crosby and save that franchise, anythings possible!

Dogbert* 01-08-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roddy (Post 23082693)

Serious question.

Yes... Expos fans were, because MLB did everything in its power to screw us over.

xtr3m 01-08-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbert (Post 23083214)
Yes... Expos fans were, because MLB did everything in its power to screw us over.

Fans will be fans, but you have to admit this is not quite an ordinary situation here. I doubt there's a full fledged conspiracy, but Phoenix performance is quite surprising.

rune74 01-08-2010 02:00 PM

It is a distinct possibility that they are getting help from the league. The two games I have seen of them against the canucks they were getting alot of breaks(this does not mean just powerplays, I'm also talking about looking the other way such as dion on hordchuck). This is a business, and if they want to maximize profits(and they do) it is in their best interests to have a winning team.

One game, such as the one in edmonton where they got the short end of the stick(going by what people say) does not prove that the league plays them fairly. Any team owned by a league and pays for the refs will always be suspect.

rune74 01-08-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

They wanted that team out of canada, different circumstances.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 01-08-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Like the strike they organized in '94? :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by rune74 (Post 23083379)
They wanted that team out of canada, different circumstances.

My understanding is that they wanted that team out of MLB entirely but couldn't find an AL team to flush down the toilet at the same time.

Bucky Katt 01-08-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrockH (Post 23083169)
I think this is said tongue-in-cheek, but I really do think that's the way it is? I think we often have to question if sports writers (and news writers in general) are reporting for the sake of accuracy or for the sake of sales. I don't think this is a good example to disprove Tony's theory (even though I do agree, Tony's theory is way off).

It was tongue-in-cheek, but when it comes to sports reporting, one could argue that reporting favourably about the Canucks could lead to more access to the Canucks which leads to more sales.

I find it ironic that journalists have no qualms about questioning the credibility and integrity of others even to the point, in this case, that they suggest an unconscious bias. Yet journalists also act like they are beyond reproach and are serving the public by being the voice of uncompromising bias.

Jack Tripper 01-08-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rune74 (Post 23083357)
It is a distinct possibility that they are getting help from the league. The two games I have seen of them against the canucks they were getting alot of breaks(this does not mean just powerplays, I'm also talking about looking the other way such as dion on hordchuck). This is a business, and if they want to maximize profits(and they do) it is in their best interests to have a winning team.

One game, such as the one in edmonton where they got the short end of the stick(going by what people say) does not prove that the league plays them fairly. Any team owned by a league and pays for the refs will always be suspect.

no

plus it's a disservice to the coyotes to say they're in fourth place not because they're working well as a team but because the league is instructing officials to give them a break

just a dumb and baseless argument

BrockH 01-08-2010 03:09 PM

I thought that the Ice Edge bid was accepted or something to that effect (I know the NHL initially purchase the team after revising their courtroom auction bid, but I thought they since resold the team)? Did I miss something huge with that falling through? Or am I just remembering something that never happened?

Wetcoaster 01-08-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrockH (Post 23084559)
I thought that the Ice Edge bid was accepted or something to that effect (I know the NHL initially purchase the team after revising their courtroom auction bid, but I thought they since resold the team)? Did I miss something huge with that falling through? Or am I just remembering something that never happened?

A letter of intent was signed with the NHL back in mid-December 2009. However it has yet to be approved by the BOG and there is a little matter of re-negotiation of the lease with the City of Glendale.

In all likelihood it will not be until the summer before things could get to the approval stage. The Ice Edge Group is still pushing for some (5) home games in Saskatoon. A number of NHL owners are quite skeptical and I can see it being a tough sell to the NHLPA who would have to consent.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly has said:
"There is no timetable for board consideration or approval at this point."
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...n-the-prairies

orcatown 01-08-2010 03:43 PM

Stats don't seem to back up Gallagher's claim.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...Name=penalties

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...Name=penalties

In the game however Aucoin and Vander Meer got away with a lot of hooking - that was noticeable.