HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   TSN: Now Tortorella is the one on a leash (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=723013)

Carlos Ranger 01-08-2010 02:08 PM

Now Tortorella is the one on a leash
 
No more swear-filled post games..

Quote:

Whether the salty language comes from Tortorella, another NHL coach, or team personnel, the National Hockey League has had enough and today issued the following memo, acquired by TSN, to remind teams and club representatives there may be consequences.

"Recently, we have had several instances of team personnel using inappropriate and profane language in media interactions and, in particular, in press conference settings. We appreciate the intensity and passion with which you approach your jobs, however, what is said publicly, and how it is said, reflects directly on the images of your respective organizations, the National Hockey League, and the game of hockey generally. In this context, profanity in public areas or where likely to be overheard by members of the media and/or general public is clearly inappropriate and unacceptable and, as previously advised in a memorandum to Clubs dated April 28, 2006, will be deemed a violation of the Media Regulations, NHL By-Law 17.4(a) (prohibiting statements "prejudicial to the welfare of the League or the game of hockey or of a Member Club"), and Article 6.3(j)(1) of the NHL Constitution (prohibiting conduct "detrimental to the League or the game of hockey"). Please be reminded that any such violations will subject both the individuals involved and their Clubs to potential fines."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305246

FLYLine24 01-08-2010 02:12 PM

Nice! The John Tortorella rule!

Carlos Ranger 01-08-2010 02:13 PM

I think it was more triggered by Ron Wilson's stunt the other day, but yea it is basically the Torts rule.

Bluenote13 01-08-2010 02:14 PM

I can understand when a coach uses it once and awhile. But some guys use it as part of their 'bravado' and it becomes almost an every postgame occurrence.

Hockey Team 01-08-2010 02:16 PM

BULL----

They're going to crack down on a swearing in a game loaded with violent checks and fighting?

Please NHL...

Fitzy 01-08-2010 02:17 PM

Don't be a pottymouth, somebody might get offended.

Im all for cleaning up the game. But not allowing the coaches to express themselves is a little ridiculous.

nyr2k2 01-08-2010 02:17 PM

Torts is certainly good for some lulzy pressers.

Dagoon44 01-08-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2d (Post 23083600)
BULL----

They're going to crack down on a swearing in a game loaded with violent checks and fighting?

Please NHL...

What sport are you watching ? That hasn't been in the NHL since Gary Butthole took over

silverfish 01-08-2010 02:19 PM

Thread title led me to believe that his job was in jeopardy which:

1) got me super excited because I thought Sather had spoken to the media.
2) made me "WTF" since this isn't really the best time to put the coach on the line after getting points in 10 out of 11 games.

But anyway I don't know how for this new rule I am but I guess I can see where they're coming from.

OverTheCap 01-08-2010 02:30 PM

Once again, the NHL is acting a little hypersensitive and is overreacting to something that would not be an issue in the other professional sports leagues.

First it was the "sloppy seconds" comment, which was essentially an excuse to suspend Avery, and now the profanity ban. I don't think the NFL was freaking out over Jim Mora's or Dennis Green's profanity-laced tirades.

It would be nice if Bettman exercised the same diligence in making an effort to curb hits to the head as he does with silly things like "sloppy seconds" and cursing. :shakehead

Hockey Team 01-08-2010 02:34 PM

That's the messed up thing.

If avery slashed the guy in the neck and sent him to the hospital, he probably would've gotten a lesser suspension then what he got.

ogie 01-08-2010 02:38 PM

The nhl swear jar ...all proceeds will go to keep unnamed teams in their southern american cities.

OverTheCap 01-08-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2d (Post 23083926)
That's the messed up thing.

If avery slashed the guy in the neck and sent him to the hospital, he probably would've gotten a lesser suspension then what he got.

Yup.

Avery got a 6 game suspension for saying "sloppy seconds" while rarely do players get that many games for an intentional hit to the head or a knee-on-knee. Normally they'll get in the neighborhood of 2-4, maybe 5, games.

It still bothers me. What an awful precedent to set.

nyr2k2 01-08-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverTheCap (Post 23083993)
Yup.

Avery got a 6 game suspension for saying "sloppy seconds" while rarely do players get that many games for an intentional hit to the head or a knee-on-knee. Normally they'll get in the neighborhood of 2-4, maybe 5, games.

It still bothers me. What an awful precedent to set.

Bettman is a lawyer who probably has never taken a shift in a game at any point in his life. Not that you need to be a former player to be an effective leader, but sometimes it seems like the game is foreign to him and his priorities are way out of order.

Hockey Team 01-08-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverTheCap (Post 23083993)
Yup.

Avery got a 6 game suspension for saying "sloppy seconds" while rarely do players get that many games for an intentional hit to the head or a knee-on-knee. Normally they'll get in the neighborhood of 2-4, maybe 5, games.

It still bothers me. What an awful precedent to set.

Even bertuzzi would've gotten a lesser suspension then 6 games for what he did. Only reason he got suspended for so long is because the results were disastrous.

Yeah it was a really ******** thing for avery to say on national TV, but a suspension for it? If anything they should've just not called instigator on the other guy if he chooses to take it up personally on the ice...

BroadwayBlues 01-08-2010 02:46 PM

This sucks. lol Torts is funny when he's pissed and starts cussing. Oh well...
Be interesting to see how he fights himself when he's really angry as he tries to avoid foul language.

Hockey Team 01-08-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 23084099)
Bettman is a lawyer who probably has never taken a shift in a game at any point in his life. Not that you need to be a former player to be an effective leader, but sometimes it seems like the game is foreign to him and his priorities are way out of order.

Yeah, be a guy who's gotten slashed in the face and suddenly words on TV don't seem that bad

Bluenote13 01-08-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverTheCap (Post 23083831)
Once again, the NHL is acting a little hypersensitive and is overreacting to something that would not be an issue in the other professional sports leagues.

First it was the "sloppy seconds" comment, which was essentially an excuse to suspend Avery, and now the profanity ban. I don't think the NFL was freaking out over Jim Mora's or Dennis Green's profanity-laced tirades.

It would be nice if Bettman exercised the same diligence in making an effort to curb hits to the head as he does with silly things like "sloppy seconds" and cursing. :shakehead

Actually Mora never cursed in that tirade, and Green said Bull-**** twice. Not really 'laced'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverTheCap (Post 23083993)
Yup.

Avery got a 6 game suspension for saying "sloppy seconds" while rarely do players get that many games for an intentional hit to the head or a knee-on-knee. Normally they'll get in the neighborhood of 2-4, maybe 5, games.

It still bothers me. What an awful precedent to set.

Actually it was a great precedent. This isn't the WWE, that kind of 'smack talk' doesnt belong in pro sports, if you allow it imagine what kind of precedent THAT sets.

nyr2k2 01-08-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 23084149)
Actually Mora never cursed in that tirade, and Green said Bull-**** twice. Not really 'laced'.



Actually it was a great precedent. This isn't the WWE, that kind of 'smack talk' doesnt belong in pro sports, if you allow it imagine what kind of precedent THAT sets.

If the league is going to penalize players for vulgar comments, fine, whatever, I may not agree with the severity of it but I understand. But to make words appear more serious than violent actions on-ice seems misguided at best and ludicrous at worst.

Hockey Team 01-08-2010 02:54 PM

should've been a 1 game suspension + fine max, just to send a message that it's inappropriate.

That's already pretty severe for just saying something.

nyr2k2 01-08-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2d (Post 23084276)
should've been a 1 game suspension + fine max, just to send a message that it's inappropriate.

That's already pretty severe for just saying something.

Yeah. As it was, 1 game for being vulgar, 5 games for being Sean Avery.

LamoTheKid 01-08-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues (Post 23084130)
This sucks. lol Torts is an embarassment when he's pissed and starts cussing. Oh well...

fixed it for you.

Though I agree with the second part of your statement. Clenched tight lips and a rising red face. HE'S GONNA BLOW HIDE BEHIND BROOKSIE!!!

Hockey Team 01-08-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 23084149)


Actually it was a great precedent. This isn't the WWE, that kind of 'smack talk' doesnt belong in pro sports, if you allow it imagine what kind of precedent THAT sets.

Ok, If you're a player, would you rather have a guy talk crap about you on TV? Or would you rather have him slash you in the face with his stick?

This is setting a precedent that the latter is more acceptable then the former.

Melrose_Jr. 01-08-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverTheCap (Post 23083831)
Once again, the NHL is acting a little hypersensitive and is overreacting to something that would not be an issue in the other professional sports leagues.

I disagree.

This has everything to do with the way you want the game perceived and the way sponsors want to be perceived as supporters of it. Neither wants to be associated with loose-cannon vulgarity artists who can't control their own emotions. This isn't John Tortorella losing his mind on his free time, in his house. He's doing it while representing the game, the team and the sponsors on the wall behind him during these press conferences.

LamoTheKid 01-08-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2d (Post 23084312)
Ok, If you're a player, would you rather have a guy talk crap about you on TV? Or would you rather have him slash you in the face with his stick?

This is setting a precedent that the latter is more acceptable then the former.

The more dangerous precedent being set is not letting players police themselves and arbitrary suspensions/fines handed out by Buttman and Colon. Players get mad, if you dont let them fight, its McSorley or Bertuzzi all over again (also see: instigator rule). But this is another discussion all together so i wont get into it anymore in this thread).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.