HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Thinsg Habs have to do to Prepare for TB (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=72345)

SwiftyHab 04-20-2004 10:48 AM

Top 8 Things Habs have to do to Prepare for TB

#1 Practice the PP

Not scoring the whole series 5 on 4 is very troubling. We need to capitalize on the limited chances tha we're going to get against TB. CJ better spend a couple of sessions on PP puck movement.

#2 Build a legitimate 4th line

I feel really happy about Langdon scoring a goal, but realistically, he doesn't have the offensive talent or defensive know-how as Sundstrom. It's important that Sunny gets well over these next few days and is ready to start Game 1 or Game 2 on the fourth line with Begin and Perrault (who seems like he will occasionlly replace Dags on the 2nd).

#3 Ward needs to heal up quick

I like this guy but he has to learn to play with some pain. By now he should have been inspired by Thornton, Souray, especially Begin, and whoever else is hidiing their injuries that we dont know about. Ward is a good defensive player who just found his legs before he got injured, and was a key member of this team's 3rd line. He's jinxed, and will always get an odd injury just when he's peaking but he's got to start fighting through those if he wants to get all those question marks off him.

#4 Ryder has to regain his confidence and get a goal in one of the first two games.

Its no surprise anymore that we have a REAL first line. Well that's exactly what TB is going to be concentrating on in this series. Not only are we going to need offence from places we dont normally expect it from ie 3rd and 4th line, and the D-Men (hey maybe even Theo, 2 assists already this series). But more importantly, we need those players that we DO expect scoring from to do so.

# 5 Dagenais has to get into the spirit

This is it for Dags, the ultimate test for this player will come now in ROund 2. His biggest criticism is that he doesn't battle. Especially not for a guy his size. We need him, but more importantly, he needs to show that he has learned that he can't coast in the playoffs. He's already begun to be replaced by Perrault sporadically, and if he doesn't start playing with some sort of urgency, he wont continue on the 2nd line and he'll definetly be replaced next year most probably by a Plekanec, Perezhogin, Higgins, or maybe even Katstityn next year. Someobody remind him about whats on the line here.

#6 Defence needs to readjust to Speedy TB forwards

Samsonov plays a similar game to St. Louis, and our defence had a hard time figuring out how to handle this player. The Defence needs to come up with a game plan to neutralize some of TB speedy and shifty players. My guess is that we'll have to match up some of our speedy forwards against theirs. So Koivu's line vs St. Louis sounds about right.

#7 Komisarek has to get better

I love his big hits and he makes great first passes, but he's made a few coverage mistakes the past two games if anybody was watching his play outside of his highlight reel hits. He's got to continue hitting, particulalry Lecavalier like he did with Joe.

#8 Theo, and the 1st line have to continue their great play because they will be targeted now. There will be a lot more crashing into Theo, and a lot more hitting on the 1st line.

You guys can add your own here for whatever I missed.

Darz 04-20-2004 10:57 AM

I think the biggest thing Julien will have to do, is make adjustments on the fly based on what Tampa is doing.

I think the only line that will stay intact is the KKZ line. The Ribeiro line is going to have to provide some secondary scoring, as this series is going to see more scoring chances that the Bruins series. If they can't I could see Perreault seeing more and more ice time. Dagenais imo, is on the bubble and could be replaced quickly.

The PP of course needs to be addressed. I think that the best thing to do there, is too keep the plan simple. We have to learn to bring the puck over the line with speed. No more east/west passing just before we enter the zone. It slows down the entire team. Also if we are going to dump the puck, the players have to let their teamamtes buils up some speed. I think one PP goal in game one could turn the whole thing around.

The biggest factor, in this series, imo, is going to be goaltending. If Theodore can play every game like he did in game 7 versus the Bruins, we will be in good shape.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!

Dan K 04-20-2004 10:57 AM

I agree with most of what you said.
I hope Komisarek stays around in place of Quintal, cuz I was hoping they would make that switch even before the injury. i think Komi has stepped in and done an excellent job, probably even outplaying both Souray and Brisebois.

I'm a major Jason Ward fan and hope he can come back soon as well. He does a lot for this team, most of which goes unnoticed.
I don't really think we need Langdon so much in this series. Tampa is a much less physical team than Boston was, and as happy as I was to see Darren's goal, clearly he's on the team to scrap.

SwiftyHab 04-20-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
I agree with most of what you said.
I hope Komisarek stays around in place of Quintal, cuz I was hoping they would make that switch even before the injury. i think Komi has stepped in and done an excellent job, probably even outplaying both Souray and Brisebois.

Good point, but while I think he's been outhitting Souray, and making smarter passes than Brisebois, He still makes mental mistakes and gets caught out of position often. The only conceivable reason you could replace him with a slower Quintal is because Quintal defensive coverage is more sound. But I think the playoff pressure is a great teacher, and hopefully, just like Markov 2 years ago, Komi will learn quickly, gain some confidence and carry it over to next season.

Guy Caballero 04-20-2004 11:20 AM

Quote:

#2 Build a legitimate 4th line: I feel really happy about Langdon scoring a goal, but realistically, he doesn't have the offensive talent or defensive know-how as Sundstrom. It's important that Sunny gets well over these next few days and is ready to start Game 1 or Game 2 on the fourth line with Begin and Perrault (who seems like he will occasionlly replace Dags on the 2nd).
This is big. Sunny will be important against the Bolts. He would have been less effective against the Bruins, but TB isn't going to go 0/24 on the PP without him in the lineup.

Munchausen 04-20-2004 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwiftyHab
#1 Practice the PP

This should really be the main concern for the next few days.

The only way we can be succesful during our PP is when we put all our eggs in the same basket. Put all our best and hotest players on one PP unit that will remain there for about a minute and a half. If we want to generate some scoring, that's what we need to do and that's what we were doing when the PP was red hot at some point during the season.

Souray's struggling and Ribeiro needs to be exploited more during the PP where he has the room to maneuver at ease.

I'd like to see this:

PP1

Ribeiro - Koivu - Ryder
Markov - Kovalev

PP2

Bulis/Dagenais - Perreault - Zednik
Souray - Brisebois

CoupeStanley 04-20-2004 01:30 PM

Maybe Captain K doesn't like it.. But the PP was redhot when he was on D.

Ryder/Zednik-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Koivu-Souray

That's the best PP we can ice.

Mooch 04-20-2004 01:35 PM

I think the biggest thing will be adjusting our game to a speed game.

Tampa's all about speed. We have to make sure we contain that speed, because our D is not that quick.

Stefan_Latulippe 04-20-2004 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoupeStanley

Koivu-Souray

Yeah but with St-Louis playing on the PK for Tampa Bay, I thinj Julien will play two d-men on the PP.

Jo 04-20-2004 02:02 PM

In my mind the key will be the defensive matchup, like we all know TB is all about speed so if John Tortorella can put St-Louis and cie against Souray and Komisarek we are done. Cause Souray just SUC K so far in the playoff and Komi make to many coverage mistake.

The advantage we have is that we played a physical serie and that we will be able to carry that. If we hit Stlouis, Lecavalier, Richards, etc. They will be slowed down.

Thanx, sorry for the writing :)

Canadianteamfan 04-20-2004 02:48 PM

One thing we should all agree is that Ribeiro as to be behind Khabi's net on PP.I would like to se him pass in front to either Kovalev or Zednik and Koivu on the Blue line with anyone else than Souray.

SwiftyHab 04-20-2004 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadianteamfan
One thing we should all agree is that Ribeiro as to be behind Khabi's net on PP.I would like to se him pass in front to either Kovalev or Zednik and Koivu on the Blue line with anyone else than Souray.

Ya, the powerplay has to figure out ways to
1-Get into the zone and set up better.
Either make a GOOD dump in where the chaser has some speed, or let a player enter the zone with it, typically Koivu, Kovalev, Ribeiro, Ryder, Bouillon, Markov, Or Brisebois.

2- Once in the zone try to make the lateral passes and get Khabi moving from side to side, opening up the five hole and getting caught out of position.

3- Ribeiro is terrific behind the net, but he hasn't been seen there too often this series because we rarely have established ourselves in their zone. You can thank an aggresive Boston PK for that.

Benzaza 04-20-2004 03:02 PM

im fed up

being a super souray fan hence ill be a bit subjectif
but im fed up eveyrone around me sucks so far.... at least say suck to his standard cuz hes actually ok his wrist is sitll f***ed up.... have you seen souray vs samsonov sergei didnt do **** and about breakwood he crapped this series vs the hottest forward of the bruins and souray covered his ass good

laterz and good luck habs

Benzaza 04-20-2004 03:08 PM

i meant im fed up that eveyrone says souray sucks so far .and then the rest makes sense hahaa

SwiftyHab 04-20-2004 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzaza
i meant im fed up that eveyrone says souray sucks so far .and then the rest makes sense hahaa

Its obvious that his wrist is hurting him again. He rarely gets his shots on net like he was doing when he was hot in the middle of the season. Other than that, he's not playing bad, he's just having a problem playing as good as he was before he got injured.

He;s not a defensive reliability, he' averaging over 24 minutes a game, he managed 19 shots, 2 assists, and is a +3 all while playing injured. Id say thats pretty dam good

Benzaza 04-20-2004 03:42 PM

sweet :-)

thx for the confirmation

Slick Nick 04-20-2004 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoupeStanley

Koivu-Souray

Markov has to take Souray's place on the first PP. He plays like one of the top defencemans in the league right now. And Souray really hasn't recovered from his injury. His shots don't hit the net anymore...

Everytime Markov and Saku are on the ice together, something really good happens. Did you see the perfect pass to Ribeiro last night in the first period? The incredible pass to Saku in the third? He is habs best offensive Dman, and there's no doubt about that.

Kovalev on the other spot could be good to, so he could switch with Saku when he feels like going to the net...But he is left handed, so, you might want to have Brisebois out there.

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Markov-Brisebois