HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   GDT: San Jose Sharks @ Los Angeles Kings - 01/11/10 - 7:30PM (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=723953)

johnjm22 01-11-2010 11:19 AM

San Jose Sharks @ Los Angeles Kings - 01/11/10 - 7:30PM

http://cdn.nhl.com/kings/images/logos/large.png
Los Angeles Kings
(25-17-3, 53 pts)

VS.

http://cdn.nhl.com/sharks/images/logos/large.png
San Jose Sharks
(28-10-7, 63 pts)

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo...ngs_hockey.jpg

7:30PM (PST) @ Staples Center Los Angeles, CA

TV Broadcast: FS-W (Home), CSN-CA (Away)
Radio Broadcast: KTLK 1150 AM, XM 207
Online Video Stream: ATDHE.NET, YAHOO

GAME PREIVEW
Last 10: San Jose 8-2-0; Los Angeles 4-6-0.

Season series: This is the fifth of six meetings between the teams. The Kings are 3-0-1 against the Sharks this season and most recently posted a 6-2 victory at San Jose on Jan. 4.

Big story: Los Angeles has won only four its past 10 games, but Terry Murray's club has experienced a tremendous amount of success against one of the top teams in the League this season. It will be interesting to see if the Sharks will bring out the best in the Kings once again on Monday night.

Team Scope:

Sharks: After winning eight consecutive games, San Jose has dropped two of its last three, including a 4-1 loss to the Detroit Red Wings at HP Pavilion on Saturday night. Patrick Marleau scored the lone goal for the Sharks, his League-leading 29th of the season.

"They did a lot of simple things to score four goals against us," Sharks coach Todd McLellan said. "They were disciplined. For some reason our team thought we had to play fancy and take risks. We haven't learned our lesson."

Kings: Los Angeles has followed a three-game winning streak with back-to-back losses. After dropping a 2-1 decision to Detroit on home ice Thursday night, the Kings fell to 0-2 on their seven-game homestand with a 4-3 loss against the St. Louis Blues on Saturday.

Their recent setbacks have dropped the Kings into eighth place in the Western Conference. They are just one point ahead of the surging Red Wings.

"We're coming back with a great homestand, the most critical point of the season, with seven home games," Murray said. "We go out on the road and play so many games to get to this point. We're a very good hockey club. We've won a lot of big games, critical games, come-from-behind games on the road, and that's the kind of effort that we have to bring home to play, right now. We didn't respond in the first period."

Who's hot: Marleau has scored in each of his last four games for San Jose. … Kings defenseman Rob Scuderi had his first multi-point game of the season on Saturday. It was the third of his career.

Stat pack: Sharks center Scott Nichol won all seven of his faceoffs against Detroit on Saturday. … Opponents have only scored five times in their last 46 power-play chances -- a span of 12 games -- against the Kings.

Puck drop: "We should have carried over the play, but we didn't. We dominated the Detroit Red Wings for pretty much, I'd say, 50 minutes of the hockey game. That should be exciting for us, and we should carry that over, not the frustration that we didn't score or whatever. We saw tonight. We flipped a couple more pucks at the net in the third, and a couple went in. That's just the thing that we've got to realize. Even though we lost the last game, we've got to build on that and push a little harder and just get it done." -- Kings center Anze Kopitar.

INJURIES
LOS ANGELES
Justin Williams - Leg IR. (Out until at least late March)
Davis Drewiske - Upper body (Questionable for Jan. 9 vs. St. Louis)
Andrei Loktionov - Shoulder IR. (Out until at least early March)
Matt Greene - Back (Day to Day)

SAN JOSE
No injuries reported.

RECENT MEETINGS
01/04/10 - Kings @ Sharks 6-2 (Kings)
12/09/09 - Kings @ Sharks 5-4 (Kings, OT)
10/28/09 - Kings @ Sharks 2-1 (Sharks, SO)
10/06/09 - Sharks @ Kings 6-4 (Kings)
*Kings All Time Record against vs the Sharksw: 47-47-7-7

LEADING SCORERS
Forwards
http://kings.nhl.com/v2/photos/mugs/8471685.jpg........................http://sharks.nhl.com/v2/photos/mugs/8466138.jpg
Kopitar, LA...........................Thornton, SJ
43PTS (18G / 25 A, +0).................58PTS (11 G / 47 A, +13)

Defensemen
http://kings.nhl.com/v2/photos/mugs/8474563.jpg...........................http://sharks.nhl.com/v2/photos/mugs/8467096.jpg
Doughty, LA...............................Boyle, SJ
34PTS (9 G / 25 A, +8)................34PTS (8 G / 26 A, +3)

PROBABLE STARTING LINEUPS
LOS ANGELES
Frolov-Kopitar-Parse
Smyth-Stoll-Simmonds
Richardson-Handzus-Brown
Ivanans/Moller/Segal/Purcell

Scuderi - Doughty
Johnson - O'Donnell
Jones - Martinez

SAN JOSE
Marleau - Thornton - Heatley
Clowe - Pavelski - Setoguchi
Ortmeyer - Mitchell - McGinn
Shelley - Nichol - Staubitz

Murray - Boyle
Vlasic - Blake
Leach - Huskins

PROBABLE STARTING GOALTENDERS
http://kings.nhl.com/v2/photos/mugs/8471734.jpg...........................http://sharks.nhl.com/v2/photos/mugs/8460705.jpg
Quick, LA - 41 GP (25-13-3).......Nabokov, SJ- 39 GP (24-7-7)
GAA 2.60 / SV% .906.............GAA 2.36 / SV% .921

TEAM STATS
Goals Scored Per Game:
LA – 2.87 (8th)
SJ – 3.16 (4th)

Goals Given Up Per Game:
LA – 2.78 (15th)
SJ – 2.49 (9th)

Power Play %:
LA – 20.8 (7th)
SJ – 20.1 (9th)

Penalty Kill %:

LA – 80.5 (T-17th)
SJ – 86.3 (T-2nd)

WESTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS

NHL GAMES TODAY

hauspaint 01-11-2010 11:38 AM

Let's win this one boys!! GO KINGS!!!

btw, per Zad's request.
Attachment 37370
and of course whoever has the power to use gif as their avatar.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* 01-11-2010 11:54 AM

Go Kings Go

Butch 19 01-11-2010 01:07 PM

After the last 2 games, I'm not feeling the love for this game at all.

It could get ugly, fast. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Happy place, happy place: Kings 3-2 (in regulation, no less)

HYORI 1963 01-11-2010 01:09 PM

SJ looking for payback, Greene out and Ersberg in. I'm not liking, what I'm smelling.

JMFJ 3 01-11-2010 01:12 PM

I'm glad Ersberg is getting the start. He's looking for his 2nd win in as many games against SJS this season.

null33 01-11-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH63 (Post 23132875)
SJ looking for payback, Greene out and Ersberg in. I'm not liking, what I'm smelling.

On the other hand, the rest of the team may smell the same thing and decide to take it upon themselves to step it up.

JT Dutch* 01-11-2010 01:13 PM

... Hopefully the Kings win, if for no other reason that to curtail the hysterical "sky is falling" crap I've been reading over the past few days. I thought Kings' fans would be a little less soft than this, frankly.

JDM 01-11-2010 01:16 PM

Yeah this is the least excited I've been for a home game all season. Nevertheless, GO KINGS!

We do have the Sharks' number!

JDM 01-11-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Dutch (Post 23132957)
... Hopefully the Kings win, if for no other reason that to curtail the hysterical "sky is falling" crap I've been reading over the past few days. I thought Kings' fans would be a little less soft than this, frankly.

A highly frustrating loss followed immediately by a highly boring loss will have that effect.

HYORI 1963 01-11-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Well, that sky's been falling for many many years.

On a sidenote, way to antagonize Kings17. ;)

Sydor25 01-11-2010 01:29 PM

It's gonna be a bloodbath!

JT Dutch* 01-11-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 23133035)
A highly frustrating loss followed immediately by a highly boring loss will have that effect.

... Well, call me crazy, but I just don't find hockey boring. I guess that's why I decided to be a fan of the sport? But whatever, I suppose your mileage may vary on that one.

And the Kings lost one game by one goal where they dominated, but an opposing player lost control of the puck and somehow it found its way into their net -- followed by another one-goal loss, where one of the goals allowed was an extremely fluky one that came 13 seconds into the game.

And that's just the way it goes. Remember what I said about one-goal games? It was silly for me or anyone to expect the Kings to continue winning over 70% of them; that just doesn't happen. The Kings being #1 in the conference for a hot second was built on that one-goal game record. The Kings were bound to lose some of those games. It doesn't mean they're not a solid team, because any team that's in the playoff race in the West has to be solid.

Maybe the Kings have lost a bit of their sense of urgency or their feeling of being underdogs. Perhaps they DO need a bit of time out of the playoff race to re-capture that. I certainly think that many of them have been reading their press clippings, and paying too much attention to the glowing praise that was prematurely directed their way by the media idiots and a few perspective-less fans. One of the true axioms of sports is that you're never as good as you look when you're on a roll, and never as bad as you look when you're in a slump. They have the potential to be a second-tier playoff team, and they have 37 more games to realize that potential. The sky isn't falling for a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH63 (Post 23133052)
On a sidenote, way to antagonize Kings17. ;)

... I only antagonize the short-sighted.

EDIT: VVV Basically, yeah.

Butch 19 01-11-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Based on what, history?

JDM 01-11-2010 02:24 PM

JT,

Do you find every hockey game equally exciting? Come on, some games are more boring than others. This is true in all sports, no matter how big a fan you are.

And the sky is not falling, I know this. I just mentioned those games because it has put a sour taste in our mouths FOR THE MOMENT.

If we aren't allowed to openly ride the emotional roller coaster, the highs aren't as good and what is the point of fandom?

I don't appreciate your mileage comment or the insuation that comes with it. If you really are so wise and such a long-standing hockey supremist, you should be well aware that fans of all teams rant and rave between wins when the losses are heartbreaking.

Speaking of boring, there is nothing more boring than an even-tempered fan.

See, I can play too. ;)

KingsRule 01-11-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

why dont you go be a wings fan then. Just dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

JT Dutch* 01-11-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 23134099)
Speaking of boring, there is nothing more boring than an even-tempered fan.

... Hey, maybe there isn't. I'm not sure whether I'm even-tempered, I guess I just celebrate the victories more than I mourn the defeats. Being a Kings' fan for a good length of time has taught me a few things -- with the first being that wins don't come very often, so enjoy them. Some losses are easier to shake off than others, but I usually find some positives in them anyway. Cases in point, the dominating play for about 75% of the Detroit game and the way they didn't give up in the St. Louis game.

And I apologize if I did insinuate anything more than just being sick of people coming on and saying that game after game is somehow boring. My fault. Honestly I don't see any aspect of the sport as dull, guess that's just me. I didn't find the St. Louis game boring, and I found the excitement in the last ten minutes of the game to be as great as the last time the Kings played the Blues in L.A. It nearly had the same result as well, with the Kings tying up the game late, but Kopitar had the puck bounce over his stick and ... that's the way it goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingsRule (Post 23134188)
why dont you go be a wings fan then. Just dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

... Awww, how adorable. Not very original, though.

Butch 19 01-11-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Dutch (Post 23134400)
Some losses are easier to shake off than others, but I usually find some positives in them anyway. Cases in point, the dominating play for about 75% of the Detroit game and the way they didn't give up in the St. Louis game.

Let's try character-building for zero points, Alex.

JT Dutch* 01-11-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch 19 (Post 23134448)
Let's try character-building for zero points, Alex.

... If you don't think there's anything to be gained in certain losses, I strongly disagree with you.

Haven't there been games where the Kings won, despite being outplayed?

Kurrilino 01-11-2010 03:07 PM

if this lineup is correct
the Sharks will have their revenge :handclap:

1 game closer to a hockey coach

RightKinger 01-11-2010 03:31 PM

I don't know about this one...ummm Kings win 4-3 in a SO.

kingsholygrail 01-11-2010 05:44 PM

It's gonna be ugly.

FrozenKing18 01-11-2010 06:03 PM

oh god

lak4ever 01-11-2010 06:15 PM

:help:

sueroe 01-11-2010 06:33 PM

Go Erik, and Go Kings!!:handclap: