HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Pre Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=724179)

thedoc1019 01-11-2010 09:20 PM

Pre Hockey

Has anyone ever taken this type of class?If so what did you get out of it because I'm a beginner to ice hockey and I'm thinking of taking this class but I'm wondering what I can get out of it.

Gino 14 01-12-2010 06:23 AM

If the class is like most, you should come out of it with the basics of puckhandling, shooting, positioning. The basics of how to play the game and and how to skate and shoot.

XweekendwarriorX 01-12-2010 04:55 PM

is there a website or someone you can ask for any details that would be your best bet.

trisgale 01-12-2010 06:02 PM

Do you already know how to skate and wanna learn the hockey as in positioning/strategy?

or beginner as in don't know how to skate yet.

I guess my adult hockey class is a pre hockey class for beginner skaters. I love it because the coaches give you the correct way to do things. My class is geared toward proper skating techniques, body position. For example, I searched how to correctly do a hockey stop on the web and still couldn't do it correctly just by reading it. One class with a hands on instructor and I got it down in one class, built my confidence quickly. And you can't beat extra ice time to help you out. More ice time = more improvement. My adult hockey class is a 10 weeks and I look forward to going every time.

thedoc1019 01-12-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trisgale (Post 23156644)
Do you already know how to skate and wanna learn the hockey as in positioning/strategy?

or beginner as in don't know how to skate yet.

I guess my adult hockey class is a pre hockey class for beginner skaters. I love it because the coaches give you the correct way to do things. My class is geared toward proper skating techniques, body position. For example, I searched how to correctly do a hockey stop on the web and still couldn't do it correctly just by reading it. One class with a hands on instructor and I got it down in one class, built my confidence quickly. And you can't beat extra ice time to help you out. More ice time = more improvement. My adult hockey class is a 10 weeks and I look forward to going every time.

your in the same position as me, I still have trouble with my hockey stop and I just can't figure it out, so that's a plus, because I know how to skate I just need help on stuff like stopping, and backwards crossovers.I'm probably going to sign up for this class,it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for :naughty::D

Also a plus about this class is that its 8 weeks and it gets me free public skating to any session during any day as long as I'm enrolled in the class

Johan Santana 01-13-2010 04:47 PM

I have been doing an adult skating class to touch up on my skating for hockey. The instructor I have has been teaching me pretty much 1 on 1 about how to gear my skating towards hockey.

bigreid 01-13-2010 05:44 PM

I am starting Beginning Hockey tonight at 5:30, it should be interesting. It is offered at our local university, University of Alaska-Anchorage, and taught by a former minor league player.
It will be fun, my 7 year old is in his 4th season playing and my 5 yr old is in his second season. I figured the class would be fun and I would learn a lot.
I am taking it with a buddy of mine who really can't skate well, neither can I. The best part is that we both played college basketball, I am 6'8" and 250lbs and he is 6'6" and 275lbs. It is a long ways down to the ice and it is going to hurt! I got a feeling I won't be able to walk tomorrow!