HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   When was the last time you heard audio from Sather? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=725281)

MSG the place to be* 01-14-2010 04:56 PM

When was the last time you heard audio from Sather?
 
I bring this up now because on tsn.ca I just watched a 12 minute interview with Leafs GM Brian Burke where he gives a lot of perspective on his team. I am not a leafs fan and I hate a lot of the moves that Brian Burke has made (Kessel, Komisarek, etc.) but I love the fact that he is so up-front with the media. I wish Sather would give us 1/10 of the exposure that Burke gives. Throughout the draft process he was vocal about wanting to trade up for Tavares. Right or wrong about letting your desires known, right or wrong about whether it would have been a smart move, at least he informs his fans of what his plan is. If you go to Leafs on demand on their official website and search "Burke" 80 videos come up. If you go to rangers on demand 12 videos come up for "Sather" and none since September 15th where he talks about the Dubinsky negotiations. Not to mention, Burke also has the added responsibility of managing team USA.

Not once has Sather been asked if he regrets signing Redden or Drury or Gomez. For my money the 3 worst moves that any franchise has made since the lockout. You could argue Gomez and Drury are on par with Campbell and Briere but its splitting hairs.

End of rant.

Carl Hagelins Flow 01-14-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG the place to be (Post 23195284)
Nothing new here but seriously, what does this guy do all day.

I bring this up now because on tsn.ca I just watched a 12 minute interview with Leafs GM Brian Burke where he gives a lot of perspective on his team. I am not a leafs fan and I hate a lot of the moves that Brian Burke has made (Kessel, Komisarek, etc.) but I love the fact that he is so up-front with the media. I wish Sather would give us 1/10 of the exposure that Burke gives. Throughout the draft process he was vocal about wanting to trade up for Tavares. Right or wrong about letting your desires known, right or wrong about whether it would have been a smart move, at least he informs his fans of what his plan is. If you go to Leafs on demand on their official website and search "Burke" 80 videos come up. If you go to rangers on demand 12 videos come up for "Sather" and none since September 15th where he talks about the Dubinsky negotiations. Not to mention, Burke also has the added responsibility of managing team USA.

Not once has Sather been asked if he regrets signing Redden or Drury or Gomez. For my money the 3 worst moves that any franchise has made since the lockout. You could argue Gomez and Drury are on par with Campbell and Briere but its splitting hairs.

End of rant.

Sather is known for how "invisible" he is to the media.

It's so rare for him to even open his mouth to the public that it becomes a news story when he does. That's how he's always been. This summer a lot of us joked "who kidnapped the real Glen and replaced him with this imposter?" because he was both vocal with the media, and made (mostly) good moves in the offseason -- Gabbo being the main one and moving Gomez. You don't expect to hear him say anything nor make good moves.

As for Burke... you are talking about Toronto. The Leafs to Toronto are like the Yankees to New York. The media in Toronto demands information like dogs on raw meat just like the media here is all over the Yankees and the other teams. The Rangers are important to New York but the baseball and football teams take most of the media pressure off the local hockey teams so that Sather, even in NY, can get away with not talking or revealing much to the public. Burke would probably be fired if he pulled the crap Sather does by not saying anything for months on end and then only a few words in a week and goes invisible again.

Unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

MSG the place to be* 01-14-2010 06:02 PM

His offseason was far from great. Gomez trade was amazingly incredible. I read the news as it broke and started screaming. My dad asked me what happened and I was like "The Rangers just traded their best player, yes!!!!!" Hes not a hockey fan so he couldnt possibly understand. But the truth remains that he signed Gomez to that albitross of a contract and its not like Higgins is producing. Basically it was flushing his mistake down the toilet but its not like a gold coin popped out of the toilet. The other moves like Brashear and Kotalik were god awful. Gaborik is a really good player, we all knew this, but we should expect this from a guy making so much. You cant judge the Gaborik move after 50 games because we all know about the risk with Marian.

Also I just looked up how many "Snow" videos there were on the Isles website - 57.

Carlos Ranger 01-14-2010 06:02 PM

Free agent signings, the Avery situation, the Kasparaitis situation, is really the only times he has talked post lockout.

bobbop 01-14-2010 06:44 PM

Is he still with us?

BrianNYR 01-14-2010 07:11 PM

Granted, In Toronto you're always going to have microphones and reporters in your face. But Burke eats it up. (The Yankees are a good example, bleedsblue)

Even with ANA, Burke was always open with the media in what his thoughts or plans were. He must love being in TOR with all the media exposure he gets now haha.

Carl Hagelins Flow 01-14-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG the place to be (Post 23196256)
His offseason was far from great. Gomez trade was amazingly incredible. I read the news as it broke and started screaming. My dad asked me what happened and I was like "The Rangers just traded their best player, yes!!!!!" Hes not a hockey fan so he couldnt possibly understand. But the truth remains that he signed Gomez to that albitross of a contract and its not like Higgins is producing. Basically it was flushing his mistake down the toilet but its not like a gold coin popped out of the toilet. The other moves like Brashear and Kotalik were god awful. Gaborik is a really good player, we all knew this, but we should expect this from a guy making so much. You cant judge the Gaborik move after 50 games because we all know about the risk with Marian.

Also I just looked up how many "Snow" videos there were on the Isles website - 57.

The OP didn't ask about the quality of Sather's moves last summer and I knew if I mentioned the moves that someone was going to harp on that. I said "(mostly) good" because getting Gabby and dumping Gomez were two things that we thought were impossible. Yeah it was his mistake for the Gomez contract in the first place, and I'm not happy about the Brash signing nor Kotalik or Higgins but you have to admit that it was one of his better seasons. You say you can't judge Gabby after 50 games but you can then judge the others? It's one or the other.

I don't want to derail the topic anymore about Sather's moves.

The point is, you shouldn't expect to hear anything from Glen -- he's a hands off GM and is a "behind closed doors" type of guy... kinda like our current president....:laugh:

Dagoon44 01-14-2010 09:15 PM

@@@@ Rumor @@@@
Rangers are planning on dropping Sather during the Olympic break and have contacted a few NHL former GM's about coming Back. Former Cup winning GM Neil Smith has signed to coach in the ECHL but may be a leader to return. Take it for what it is worth but got it from the same source I got Brasher signing here 2 days before he signed.

Diehardfan419 01-14-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagoon44 (Post 23202626)
@@@@ Rumor @@@@
Rangers are planning on dropping Sather during the Olympic break and have contacted a few NHL former GM's about coming Back. Former Cup winning GM Neil Smith has signed to coach in the ECHL but may be a leader to return. Take it for what it is worth but got it from the same source I got Brasher signing here 2 days before he signed.

Bro, Im begging you to be right, cause this **** has gone on long enough

hlundqvist30* 01-14-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagoon44 (Post 23202626)
@@@@ Rumor @@@@
Rangers are planning on dropping Sather during the Olympic break and have contacted a few NHL former GM's about coming Back. Former Cup winning GM Neil Smith has signed to coach in the ECHL but may be a leader to return. Take it for what it is worth but got it from the same source I got Brasher signing here 2 days before he signed.

Was this the same source as the Renney firing?

BroadwayBlues 01-14-2010 09:52 PM

Isn't he in Florida fishing?? That's what I heard before.

Edge 01-14-2010 10:22 PM

The title of this thread made it seem like we were waiting for an audio tape from Bin Laden.

I Am Chariot 01-14-2010 10:41 PM

The only actual quote I remember from Sather this season was when he admitted the Rangers were interested in Forsberg and would be watching him closely.

It was very out of character for him. One to speak and two to actually tip his hand. Some feel he did it to F with the other teams such as the Flyers. Subterfuge...

SouvenirCity 01-15-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagoon44 (Post 23202626)
@@@@ Rumor @@@@
Rangers are planning on dropping Sather during the Olympic break and have contacted a few NHL former GM's about coming Back. Former Cup winning GM Neil Smith has signed to coach in the ECHL but may be a leader to return. Take it for what it is worth but got it from the same source I got Brasher signing here 2 days before he signed.

I'd want Jay Feaster. Not only for his Torts connection, but listening to him interviewed every week on NHL live (as well as various other commentaries), has made me really appreciate not only how much he knows about the world of hockey, but how passionate he is about every single facet of the game. Also, really don't want any part of Neil Smith. He built this team to a cup winner, and then hung on way to long to the glory days. We need a breath of fresh air, not a blast from the past.

Trottier 01-15-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbop (Post 23197246)
Is he still with us?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 23204908)
The title of this thread made it seem like we were waiting for an audio tape from Bin Laden.

:laugh:

That sound you just heard was somene hysterically in San Diego. :clap:

MSG the place to be* 01-15-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR (Post 23202385)
You say you can't judge Gabby after 50 games but you can then judge the others? It's one or the other.

I don't want to derail the topic anymore about Sather's moves.
:

The difference is pretty obvious. You can judge the Kotalik and Brashear deals because they are bad players with too much cap hit. You can't judge the Gaborik deal because the guy is a superstar but it all comes down to health. No GM dislikes the way Gaborik plays. He came to NY though because Sather offered him the most money because he was forced to bring in a scorer because his previous signings bombed because the signings were made by Glen Sather.

I liked the Gaborik signing under the circumstances that we were in. We needed a scorer so badly. But signing a guy who had the history that Gaborik had to such a big deal is a HUGE desperation move. Hate to say it but an organization that knows what its doing does not sign the free agent to a top 10 nhl contract that has missed that many games. Who created that mess again?

RangerBoy 01-15-2010 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG the place to be (Post 23195284)
I bring this up now because on tsn.ca I just watched a 12 minute interview with Leafs GM Brian Burke where he gives a lot of perspective on his team. I am not a leafs fan and I hate a lot of the moves that Brian Burke has made (Kessel, Komisarek, etc.) but I love the fact that he is so up-front with the media. I wish Sather would give us 1/10 of the exposure that Burke gives. Throughout the draft process he was vocal about wanting to trade up for Tavares. Right or wrong about letting your desires known, right or wrong about whether it would have been a smart move, at least he informs his fans of what his plan is. If you go to Leafs on demand on their official website and search "Burke" 80 videos come up. If you go to rangers on demand 12 videos come up for "Sather" and none since September 15th where he talks about the Dubinsky negotiations. Not to mention, Burke also has the added responsibility of managing team USA.

Not once has Sather been asked if he regrets signing Redden or Drury or Gomez. For my money the 3 worst moves that any franchise has made since the lockout. You could argue Gomez and Drury are on par with Campbell and Briere but its splitting hairs.

End of rant.

Burke sounded like an idiot. According to Burke,everything is fine in Leafs Land. Baghdad Brian. Burke was better off keeping his mouth shut. He had made the Leafs worse. Burke rep is taking a hit when he opens his mouth.

Jaromir Jagr 01-15-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdEye (Post 23204641)
:laugh:

I hope Dagoon is right. Even if it won't help us immediately, for the sake of the long-run at least

Unfortunately, a new GM wouldn't help us get rid of all the overpaid players on this team.

How wouldn't it? Sort of like what Burke did when he came into Toronto, an immediate shuffle. It's similar to a coaching change - implementing a new style.

I think a GM change (especially around the trading deadline or just before July 1st), would prompt immediate moves. No fear moves.

LamoTheKid 01-15-2010 09:35 AM

Whelp, if we get Neil Smith, say good bye to our prospects! (I really want to insert a sarcasm smiley here, but I just get a sinking feeling about Smith).

I want some new blood! Someone who knows how to build with youth and with the cap. Who that person is, i have no idea. But enough of the Oilers/90s management.

HockeyBasedNYC 01-15-2010 09:39 AM

Do we really need 3 Sather threads?

This guy is bad enough screwing up the Rangers, lets not let him clog up our board too.

RangerFan1587 01-15-2010 09:48 AM

Its Ice Fishing season in Bamph, Alberta, why would Sather want to be in New York running his NHL franchise? ha

ogie 01-15-2010 10:34 AM

Burke and Sather are not a good comparison. Toronto is alot different when it comes to hockey than NY. A better comparison would be the GM of the BlueJays and Sather.

ck20 01-15-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG the place to be (Post 23208788)
The difference is pretty obvious. You can judge the Kotalik and Brashear deals because they are bad players with too much cap hit. You can't judge the Gaborik deal because the guy is a superstar but it all comes down to health. No GM dislikes the way Gaborik plays. He came to NY though because Sather offered him the most money because he was forced to bring in a scorer because his previous signings bombed because the signings were made by Glen Sather.

I liked the Gaborik signing under the circumstances that we were in. We needed a scorer so badly. But signing a guy who had the history that Gaborik had to such a big deal is a HUGE desperation move. Hate to say it but an organization that knows what its doing does not sign the free agent to a top 10 nhl contract that has missed that many games. Who created that mess again?

i agree, gaborik should never have even been considered. :loony:

nyr2k2 01-15-2010 10:50 AM

Sorry guys, we've two other Slats threads going right now. Please continue the discussion on one of the others.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.