HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Pre-Game Talk: 3rd highest scoring team in the league (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=725829)

Spamhuis 01-16-2010 03:41 AM

3rd highest scoring team in the league
 
We trail the blackhawks and the capitals for goals per game. Why are we so low in the standings? Discuss....

Dolemite 01-16-2010 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Kesler (Post 23223678)
We trail the blackhawks and the capitals for goals per game. Why are we so low in the standings? Discuss....

Swiss cheese defense (full of holes).

Mike NHL 01-16-2010 03:51 AM

Raycroft's let us down in some close games

Lowkey 01-16-2010 03:52 AM

Luck.

MTechnik 01-16-2010 05:43 AM

Health.

me2 01-16-2010 06:07 AM

the same reason you can lose a tennis match despite never having your serve broken and breaking the other guys quite a bit.

6-7 6-0 6-7 6-0 6-7

Velociraptor 01-16-2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluninja (Post 23223938)
Health.

/thread

Dolemite 01-16-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluninja (Post 23223938)
Health.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velociraptor (Post 23224082)
/thread

No way. The Canucks have depth to fill injury spots. They couldn't stop pucks from going into the net for a while there.

Dado 01-16-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Kesler (Post 23223678)
We trail the blackhawks and the capitals for goals per game. Why are we so low in the standings? Discuss....

Because Luongo lets in too many, obviously.

west in the east 01-16-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolemite (Post 23224087)
No way. The Canucks have depth to fill injury spots. They couldn't stop pucks from going into the net for a while there.

While I agree the goal tending has been suspect at points, no team has depth to replace Lou and Daniel. Losing those two hurt what is usually a strong november.

Also, the canucks are blowing teams out a lot more this year. Not since (or even then) the peak WCE years have canucks beat team by a score of 3 or 4 - 1 or more. We've also had a number of blowouts against.

LiveeviL 01-16-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dado (Post 23226076)
Because Luongo lets in too many, obviously.

Well, he isn't bad and I ain't bashing. But we haven't seen him save the day as much as he did during the two previous seasons. But then again, perhaps it is because he don't have to do that this season...

Dado 01-16-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveeviL (Post 23226143)
Well, he isn't bad...

I agree. Overall, he's still been a high quality goalie. Just not as good as expectations or pay level would suggest, letting in 3+ nearly half the the time over the past 20 games.

Regardless, for the same position in the standings, I would rather have a team that scores a bunch and lets in a bunch than a 2-1 overtime machine.

Moore Money 01-16-2010 12:05 PM

Win blowout games and lose 1 goal games...

parabola 01-16-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluninja (Post 23223938)
Health.

Yep. That's about it.

Luongo out D Sedin out... win more of those games and we'd be good.

Dolemite 01-16-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west in the east (Post 23226130)
While I agree the goal tending has been suspect at points, no team has depth to replace Lou and Daniel. Losing those two hurt what is usually a strong november.

Also, the canucks are blowing teams out a lot more this year. Not since (or even then) the peak WCE years have canucks beat team by a score of 3 or 4 - 1 or more. We've also had a number of blowouts against.


It's not the goaltending, it's mistakes in their defensive zone coverage that's led to goals. I'm not saying that goaltending is free from blame. However, the Canucks play in their defensive end is the one of the main reasons for not having a better record.

Hedberg 01-16-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolemite (Post 23226580)
It's not the goaltending, it's mistakes in their defensive zone coverage that's led to goals. I'm not saying that goaltending is free from blame. However, the Canucks play in their defensive end is the one of the main reasons for not having a better record.

Canucks are 8th in the league in goals against, so defence isn't that much of a problem.

canuckerfan 01-16-2010 01:02 PM

a lot of lop-sided victories. take away some of those extra goals and put them in games where we lost and we'd get at least an extra point out of the current losses. but that's okay. the way I see it is that there's no shootout in the playoffs so as long as they make it they are a legitimate threat.

Dolemite 01-16-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AugerLovesBurrows (Post 23226841)
Canucks are 8th in the league in goals against, so defence isn't that much of a problem.

They may be now. However, I was referring to earlier in the season.

Peter Griffin 01-16-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Kesler (Post 23223678)
We trail the blackhawks and the capitals for goals per game. Why are we so low in the standings? Discuss....

Parity. Win two more games, and the Canucks are top 8 league wide.

Wetcoaster 01-16-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Kesler (Post 23223678)
We trail the blackhawks and the capitals for goals per game. Why are we so low in the standings? Discuss....

Fewer points.

opendoor 01-16-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoolChamp (Post 23226272)
Win blowout games and lose 1 goal games...

This is it in a nutshell. It's got little to do with goaltending or defense; the Canucks are a top 10 defensive team, are 3rd in 5-on-5 F/A, and have a fantastic goal differential. It's not like they're giving a lot of goals up. What they haven't done is demonstrated an ability to consistently win close games.

Hooker 01-16-2010 01:46 PM

Raycroft was amazing when Luongo was hurt. That's not the problem at all. I'm going to blame Mr. October.

opendoor 01-16-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dado (Post 23226190)
I agree. Overall, he's still been a high quality goalie. Just not as good as expectations or pay level would suggest, letting in 3+ nearly half the the time over the past 20 games.

You talk like that's unusual for a top goalie. Luongo's let in 3+ goals in 8 of his last 20 starts. Brodeur's let in 3 or more in 9 of his last 20; Miller in 7 of his last 20; and Bryzgalov in 8 of his last 20.

Other goalies like Kiprusoff and Lundqvist are doing a little better right now but if you applied the same range 5 games ago, they'd have had similar numbers.

Pure West 01-16-2010 02:05 PM

We have a great goal differential, and Bill James would certainly have us with a better pythageron expectation. However, we aren't getting enough games to OT, as those close 1 goal games have usually ended up being regulation losses. We've only had 4 OT games, which I am not positive, but is probably lowest in the league, or close to it. The league average is about 1 in 4 games, while the CanuckThs are averaging an OT game every 12. The point system favours those teams that hang in close games and push them to OT. We should know, we had that kind of team in 07 and 08 where it seemed like every game we played went to OT and it seemed to help prop us up a little higher than where we should have been in the standings.

timorousme 01-16-2010 02:22 PM

as long as we're playing well i'm happy


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.