HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs in on Kovalchuk (Yes, for Halak) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=726147)

Ford Prefect 01-17-2010 01:33 AM

Habs in on Kovalchuk (Yes, for Halak)

Remember when you used to propose Halak + insert scrub player + 2nd = Superstar player? Well, apparently if you repeat something often enough, it may come true. Eklund is reporting the Habs are in on Kovie as a rental, and apparently Halak is the centerpiece. Don't shoot the messenger:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...alMore/1/25574

LeMAD 01-17-2010 01:40 AM

Pure Eklund crap.

The real rumor is Halak to Dallas for Turco...yes Turco.

totalrecall 01-17-2010 01:46 AM

oy vey

Peacock 01-17-2010 01:47 AM

Halak + D'agostini + 2nd

for

Gretzky + time machine
e4

Turboflex* 01-17-2010 01:50 AM

why not?

I think people really overestimate the trade value of rentals.

1 or 2 roster players + draft pick and/or prospect should be enough judgeing by what a similar high profile winger (Hossa) got a couple of years ago.

If Atlanta wants a long term goaltending solution, Halak could easily be the main part of that trade. All this depends on what other bidders do as well.

hototogisu 01-17-2010 02:01 AM

Atlanta already has Pavelec. So of course it makes total sense they'd want Halak as the centrepiece.

:rolleyes:

At least try to use some logic Eklund.

Adam91 01-17-2010 02:06 AM

Why the hell would Montreal get Kovalchuk? the only reason to even consider it is a sign and trade. He'll go to a legit contender, something the Habs are not.

Turboflex* 01-17-2010 02:06 AM

Pavelec is hardly a sure thing.

Darth Joker 01-17-2010 02:07 AM

I know that Eklund has a very bad reputation here, and for good reason, but this particular rumor actually makes some sense.

Consider the following...

1) Montreal is currently a playoff bubble team. It is unlikely that Gainey would be willing to play the role of seller after totally remaking the team in the offseason. It would be pretty much admitting that he screwed up (that's how the media would likely spin it, anyway). Getting a player of Kovalchuk's caliber could potentially salvage the season (i.e. at least secure us a playoff spot).

2) A Top 6 winger with size and a goal scorer's touch is precisely what we need right now. Kovalchuk obviously provides that. ;)

3) Atlanta may or may not be happy with their goaltending situation right now. Hedberg is over 35 and has only played over 60 NHL games one season in his entire career; Pavelec's numbers are a far cry from Halak's. If they're not happy, going for Halak makes sense of course.

4) The Habs have big contracts on D that could make the trade work salary cap wise. A good veteran defenseman or two could help Atlanta's D. Such a defenseman could also be an insurance policy in case of losing Kubina as an UFA in the off-season (unless Kubina signed a contract extension, and I missed it - if so, I stand to be corrected).

5) Dropping a big contract on a long-term for Kovalchuk would enable us to sign Pleks in the off-season... or sign Kovalchuk himself possibly.

So...

A big contract D
A good prospect or young roster player (of which we have many)
Halak
and a pick

for

Kovalchuk
Hedberg

Could be a good trade for Montreal and Atlanta.

hototogisu 01-17-2010 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turboflex (Post 23242023)
Pavelec is hardly a sure thing.

So the logic is to acquire another unsure thing?

Quarantesix 01-17-2010 02:11 AM

No I think this time he's right:sarcasm:

Why the trade between Montreal and the Oilers didn't work, it's because Atlanta want Halak and Montreal will have Kovalchuk. How the **** this is suppose to make sense. hahaha he really need hit on his website this month

Habs Junkie 01-17-2010 02:14 AM

No no, it's not for Kovalchuk straight up, it's a 3way blockbuster with Dallas sending us Turco too, all for Halak, D'agostini and a 3rd round pick

Shmuffalo 01-17-2010 02:24 AM

the trade doesnt make sense, hell even the sabres cant figure out if he is necessary. why would the habs throw away their players just for a rental.

Habit11 01-17-2010 02:31 AM

Doesn't the cap implications every come into trades?

FlyingKostitsyn 01-17-2010 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Prefect (Post 23241804)
Remember when you used to propose Halak + insert scrub player + 2nd = Superstar player? Well, apparently if you repeat something often enough, it may come true. Eklund is reporting the Habs are in on Kovie as a rental, and apparently Halak is the centerpiece. Don't shoot the messenger:

I'd rather say "It may be picked up by Eklund the internet fraud"

Why people still go on hockeybuzz to read this guy's rumors is beyond me. If people want to discuss silly trade rumors then they might as well listen to Lapierreforcaptain or Gamblor, they have about as much credibility.

the vinyl version 01-17-2010 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eklund
I am told that he really doesn't want to commit to an extension this season and would rather not be traded. However he of course understands that Atlanta has little choice. Bottom line is not that Ilya is being a jerk here. He is very serious about wanting to help the Thrashers make the place. You get the sense that he really feels a sense of responsibility for the franchise and if he is to move on he would like to do something great first for them...

Brilliant writing.

Lapierre for captain 01-17-2010 09:17 AM

Kovalchuk to habs for

Halak, Weber, Emelin, Kostitsyn bros, Hamrlik/Spacek conditional 1-3 if kovy resigns

BaseballCoach 01-17-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 23242040)
So the logic is to acquire another unsure thing?

Halak is a better player than any of the guys Atlanta received for Hossa.

A deal centred around a young #1 goaltender with no history of injury is definitely plausible.

Halak, Spacek, Fischer, D'Agostini, 2nd round pick
for
Kovalchuk and Hedberg, and 3rd round pick.

sampollock 01-17-2010 09:33 AM

not a fricken chance,

if bob pulls this off, he will be a major player

but i can't see it, too much for kovo, and other teams would give way more

Kimota 01-17-2010 09:36 AM

Two UFAs, Kovalchuk for Plekanec.

RoyBoyCoy 01-17-2010 09:42 AM

Atlanta is literally the last team I would think would be interested in Halak.

JHabs 01-17-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy (Post 23243672)
Atlanta is literally the last team I would think would be interested in Halak.

Same here, shocked by this rumor once again.

sampollock 01-17-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yarfangor (Post 23243875)
Same here, shocked by this rumor once again.

just more fodder

Kafka 01-17-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Prefect (Post 23241804)

Don't shoot the messenger: you bet we will!

PLEASE REMEMBER GUYS THAT EKLUND ISN'T A JOURNALIST MORE THAN YOU GUYS ARE. SO PLEASE LEAVE HIM IN HIS OWN WORLD.

Tuggy 01-17-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam91 (Post 23242022)
Why the hell would Montreal get Kovalchuk? the only reason to even consider it is a sign and trade. He'll go to a legit contender, something the Habs are not.

Not that I think the Habs will get Kovalchuk but I think if they did he would make them a contender in the East.