HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ales Kotalik (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=726487)

I Am Chariot 01-18-2010 01:24 AM

Ales Kotalik
 
was he kicking for the Chargers on Sunday?

Captain Monglobster 01-18-2010 01:28 AM

I'm getting used to him being in the same group as Lisin, Voros, Brashear.

Dredden 01-18-2010 01:33 AM

I didnt know he was that bad. For 3 million a year hes a big waste: no chemistry with anyone really, bad passer, horrible D. Anyone else see him being traded for a pick or whatever at the deadline? His value must be low but maybe a team with need of PP help would take a chance on him...

I Am Chariot 01-18-2010 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SI Ranger (Post 23259435)
His value must be low but maybe a team with need of PP help would take a chance on him...

You mean like the Rangers?

RyanBozak 01-18-2010 01:40 AM

I think his effort is there, I just don't think he's cut out for it. It looks like the guy honestly tries.. which no one can blame him for.. he's just not fitting here. He takes stupid penalties. He can't control himself on the point anymore. He's had horrible giveaways. He cannot adjust to back checking. I mean, if he seriously worked on getting his game together he'd be worth it. The guy has a shot that we've all witnessed, he definitely is speedy when he wants to be, has a nice hand for the shootout (not recently). If the rest fell together and he was actually consistent then he'd live up to his contract. If not, like stated above, hopefully someone could grab him off our hands.

Dredden 01-18-2010 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chariot (Post 23259447)
You mean like the Rangers?

Yup we took a chance on him and once again Sather fails. And if im not mistaken i believe Torts actually pushed for the signing.

Draft Guru 01-18-2010 02:10 AM

Remember when everyone said he was better than Zherdev? ;)

trilobyte 01-18-2010 02:10 AM

I knew he was bad before he got to NYR.

Where's the surprise?

OverTheCap 01-18-2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trilobyte (Post 23259732)
I knew he was bad before he got to NYR.

Where's the surprise?

I have a feeling some people didn't watch Kotalik a lot prior to his signing with the Rangers. They just looked at his stats and said "oooo 20 goals per season" and that was that.

I expected the inconsistency and unwillingness to play physical, but I didn't anticipate his poor attitude. How many times does this guy need to be a healthy scratch before he gets it?

Vitto79 01-18-2010 06:30 AM

Without Kotalik for the first 10 games they would'nt of started so well. His PP shot is great but he just stinks 5 on 5.................Yea it would of better to just pay Zherdev 4 million over 1 yr even if it's too much than Kotalik over 3

He will get back in though, he has to at his price or he will be moved for another underachiever

still think Edmonton may have a fit with guys like Horcoff, Nillson, O'Sullivan,Grebeshkov making too much.......problem for problem

ck20 01-18-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 23260550)
Without Kotalik for the first 10 games they would'nt of started so well. His PP shot is great but he just stinks 5 on 5.................Yea it would of better to just pay Zherdev 4 million over 1 yr even if it's too much than Kotalik over 3

He will get back in though, he has to at his price or he will be moved for another underachiever

still think Edmonton may have a fit with guys like Horcoff, Nillson, O'Sullivan,Grebeshkov making too much.......problem for problem

just like the rest of the rangers, right? :deadhorse

Melrose_Jr. 01-18-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SI Ranger (Post 23259540)
Yup we took a chance on him and once again Sather fails. And if im not mistaken i believe Torts actually pushed for the signing.

How did it fail? Last year's Rangers had the 3rd worst PP in the league, so they got a PP specialist. The guy STILL is 2nd on the team in PP points, a whopping 4 points shy of Gabby's total with the man advantage.

If you expected him to come in, be a wonder at ES, defensively competent, add "intangibles", then I'm just going to go ahead and say you don't know a thing about Ales Kotalik. He's doing exactly what he's always done.

jas 01-18-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. (Post 23261270)
How did it fail? Last year's Rangers had the 3rd worst PP in the league, so they got a PP specialist. The guy STILL is 2nd on the team in PP points, a whopping 4 points shy of Gabby's total with the man advantage.

If you expected him to come in, be a wonder at ES, defensively competent, add "intangibles", then I'm just going to go ahead and say you don't know a thing about Ales Kotalik. He's doing exactly what he's always done.

Which makes him not worth $3 million per for three years at age 32.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-18-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas (Post 23261336)
Which makes him not worth $3 million per for three years at age 32.

The most curious thing about the deal is I'm really not sure who Sather was bidding against.

Emptyvoid 01-18-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 23261354)
The most curious thing about the deal is I'm really not sure who Sather was bidding against.

It is as curious as it is downright horrifying if you ask me.

jas 01-18-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 23261354)
The most curious thing about the deal is I'm really not sure who Sather was bidding against.

Exactly...Kotalik didn't appear to be one of the more sought after UFAs.

Melrose_Jr. 01-18-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas (Post 23261336)
Which makes him not worth $3 million per for three years at age 32.

I thought this was a discussion about a player's performance, not the NYR payroll office.

Oh.......wait.......EVERY discussion is about the NYR payroll office. :dunce:

KreiMeARiver* 01-18-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Guru (Post 23259725)
Remember when everyone said he was better than Zherdev? ;)

Yeah, another great move by Sather. Here's Sather's logic:

Score for us, we let you go to go sign more garbage ie:

Nylander, Jagr, Zherdev. In Jagr's case, he brought the franchise back from the dead. God, I hate Sather.

Celestial Black 01-18-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trilobyte (Post 23259732)
I knew he was bad before he got to NYR.

Where's the surprise?

Same here, which is why I didn't want him to be signed.

jas 01-18-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. (Post 23261402)
I thought this was a discussion about a player's performance, not the NYR payroll office.

Oh.......wait.......EVERY discussion is about the NYR payroll office. :dunce:


No, it's about constructing a team that has to face salary cap implications with every move it makes. How many times do the Rangers have to be slapped in the face with the reality that you cannot overpay mediocre players in the salary cap era? I was on record saying it was a bad signing the day it happened and I remain firm in that belief. Salary will continue to enter in the discussion of a player's performance when that player has a salary that affects decision the team has to make going forward, especially that player's performance has been a healthy scratch on numerous occasions over the course of the season.

Melrose_Jr. 01-18-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas (Post 23261684)
No, it's about constructing a team that has to face salary cap implications with every move it makes.

What about the on-ice implications?

The woeful powerplay literally derailed any chance the '08/'09 Rangers of surpassing the efforts of previous teams. The organization set an objective of improving it in the offseason and did so by signing a player known for his prowess with the man advantage. It's pretty tough to argue with the logic even if you don't care the choice or the terms.

I think it's pretty shortsighted to gripe about the PP specialist who, even as the most maligned member of the squad, still has more PPP than Crosby, Malkin, Nash, Datsyuk, Iginla, etc, etc, etc, while Brashear earns half as much to be used as an "ice mop" by opponents on the rare occasions he even sees the ice.

Ales Kotalik is not hurting the NYR's cap position.

I Am Chariot 01-18-2010 10:30 AM

It's no good..... wide

ThisYearsModel 01-18-2010 10:33 AM

Kotalik and Redden should be in Hartford.

kennglin13 01-18-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. (Post 23261939)
What about the on-ice implications?

The woeful powerplay literally derailed any chance the '08/'09 Rangers of surpassing the efforts of previous teams. The organization set an objective of improving it in the offseason and did so by signing a player known for his prowess with the man advantage. It's pretty tough to argue with the logic even if you don't care the choice or the terms.

I think it's pretty shortsighted to gripe about the PP specialist who, even as the most maligned member of the squad, still has more PPP than Crosby, Malkin, Nash, Datsyuk, Iginla, etc, etc, etc, while Brashear earns half as much to be used as an "ice mop" by opponents on the rare occasions he even sees the ice.

Ales Kotalik is not hurting the NYR's cap position.

So this off season when we cannot sign a playmaker for 3 million because Kotaweak is eating up the money, you don't think there will be any pain? The guy was just a healthy scratch... healthy scratches for 3 million?!?!?

jas 01-18-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. (Post 23261939)
What about the on-ice implications?

The woeful powerplay literally derailed any chance the '08/'09 Rangers of surpassing the efforts of previous teams. The organization set an objective of improving it in the offseason and did so by signing a player known for his prowess with the man advantage. It's pretty tough to argue with the logic even if you don't care the choice or the terms.

I think it's pretty shortsighted to gripe about the PP specialist who, even as the most maligned member of the squad, still has more PPP than Crosby, Malkin, Nash, Datsyuk, Iginla, etc, etc, etc, while Brashear earns half as much to be used as an "ice mop" by opponents on the rare occasions he even sees the ice.

Ales Kotalik is not hurting the NYR's cap position.

$3 million per for three years for a player who has become a healthy scratch is NOT hurting the Ranger cap situation? Really?

Oh, and Brahear was an awful signing, also...that doesn't make the Kotalik signing any better.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.