HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rumor: Ray Whitney to Pens Imminent (MOD EDIT: No, ESPN just wants you to pay them money) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=726658)

Oxide 01-18-2010 01:53 PM

Ray Whitney to Pens Imminent (MOD EDIT: No, ESPN just wants you to pay them money)

I saw on the ESPN rumor page that the Pens acquiring Ray Whitney is imminent. So I wonder if the demotion of Caputi and Lovejoy have something to do with it?

regard 01-18-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensFan93 (Post 23266556)
I saw on the ESPN rumor page that the Pens acquiring Ray Whitney is imminent. So I wonder if the demotion of Caputi and Lovejoy have something to do with it?

Itd be nice to see something happen, something that could breathe some life into the team.
I wouldnt have expected it so soon, but if his pro-rated salary is affordable to us then good.
Or maybe they send along Dupuis, Guerin or Fedentenko as a contract dump too.

Anyway no idea which rumors if any are reliable so we'll see.

kmillzy5 01-18-2010 02:04 PM

It honestly wouldnt surprise me. Shero is not the type of GM to watch him team struggle and not do anything to help. Ray Whitney would be excellent.

Dick Sledge 01-18-2010 02:06 PM

I think that would be more of a deadline deal as opposed to being imminent from the point in the season we're at now.

Gooch 01-18-2010 02:08 PM

I am kind of getting a little tired of the constant reliance upon the trade deadline to acquire a rental to motivate this team. This just screams like a huge waste of assets when many of the times very similar players can be obtained without giving up picks or prospects via free agency.

Especially this last offseason where there were still some quality wingers out there without huge contract demands that we absolutely couldve fit in but didnt pursue them.

WVP 01-18-2010 02:08 PM

Imminent, eh?

Deadbolt401 01-18-2010 02:09 PM

Hmm, WVP, Awesome avatar.

A trade sure would be interesting.

cassius 01-18-2010 02:11 PM

Wouldn't surprise me - it would be a great move by Shero

Being Gene Malkovich 01-18-2010 02:13 PM

We are in danger of falling to 5th place in the conference, and the only way to truly avoid a 1st round matchup starting on the road, would be to get back into the race for 1st in the division. We need to make up 8 games on the Devils and we will be back in the hunt.

Maybe Kunitz isn't being seen as returning when they had previously expected.

I'd make a move as soon as possible.

AgentM 01-18-2010 02:15 PM

TIOPS had this up on their site before 9am today, is this where ESPN got the rumor? If so we can all forget it.

Muscles4Malkin 01-18-2010 02:21 PM

Yeah. Too bad it isn't from reliable source.

Oxide 01-18-2010 02:25 PM

I doubt ESPN would use tiops as one of their sources.

Muscles4Malkin 01-18-2010 02:27 PM

"Whitney could move

I'd be willing to bet $20 that Carolina Hurricanes winger Ray Whitney, who will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1, will wind up in Pittsburgh, playing with either Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin, at the deadline. In 2006, the Penguins sent Mark Recchi to Carolina for two prospects and a second-round draft when he was 38, and he helped the Hurricanes win a Cup. Maybe there could be some reciprocity?"

Some thoughts from Edmonton journal.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...716/story.html

UnderratedBrooks44 01-18-2010 02:32 PM

Wow we're getting Whitney AND Ponikarovsky according to all the information that's out there! :shakehead

cassius 01-18-2010 02:33 PM

I don't consider ESPN.com all that unreliable - they are at least a reputable sports outlet who is respected in the business of sports, not some Blog site started by a crazy in his basement.

If ESPN is reporting it, it has a legit chance of happening.

vecens24 01-18-2010 02:36 PM

Its using that Edmonton Journal piece as its source here. It also connects Whitney to the Bruins, Kings, and Blue Jackets. False alarm. Nothing imminent.

UnderratedBrooks44 01-18-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassius (Post 23267603)
I don't consider ESPN.com all that unreliable - they are at least a reputable sports outlet who is respected in the business of sports, not some Blog site started by a crazy in his basement.

If ESPN is reporting it, it has a legit chance of happening.

I actually agree with you. To me, the only legit sources are TSN and ESPN regardless of what baseless shots people take at ESPN. On the other than their "rumors" section is just that, rumors. I'm just not a fan of them in general because it's easy for anyone to just throw a bunch of them out there that make some sense but will probably never happen. Not saying ESPn does that, but in short rumors aren't to be taken seriously.

hpheikki 01-18-2010 03:09 PM

Whitney would be a great fit with Crosby, it would be Crosby with the two old timers, Guerin and Whitney. When Kunitz returns, he might be able to create Malkin the space he needs, second line of Kunitz-Malkin-Fedotenko (I would prefer Rupp here) would work quite well too, keep the third line as it is and Dupuis, Talbot, Rupp, Adams and Godard would battle for a spot in the fourth line. Or maybe you could trade Talbot for JMFJ and a prospect, right Eklund? :sarcasm:

Jaded-Fan 01-18-2010 03:14 PM

What would the cost be? That is what worries me. Teams overpay at the deadline by a lot.

Ziggyjoe21 01-18-2010 03:15 PM

Rather have Ruutu

johnniewalker 01-18-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 (Post 23267735)
I actually agree with you. To me, the only legit sources are TSN and ESPN regardless of what baseless shots people take at ESPN. On the other than their "rumors" section is just that, rumors. I'm just not a fan of them in general because it's easy for anyone to just throw a bunch of them out there that make some sense but will probably never happen. Not saying ESPn does that, but in short rumors aren't to be taken seriously.

ESPN owns a 20% stake in TSN, and I think they are effectively the same source of information. Anyone that finds TSN reliable but thinks ESPN is not would be mistaken.

kovy1335 01-18-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin (Post 23267427)
"Whitney could move

I'd be willing to bet $20 that Carolina Hurricanes winger Ray Whitney, who will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1, will wind up in Pittsburgh, playing with either Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin, at the deadline. In 2006, the Penguins sent Mark Recchi to Carolina for two prospects and a second-round draft when he was 38, and he helped the Hurricanes win a Cup. Maybe there could be some reciprocity?"

Some thoughts from Edmonton journal.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...716/story.html

Implying that they owe us something? I don't see that at all. This is a business, and no one wants to give up $5 for $1.

I'd love to see Ray Whitney on the team. He has at least one more run in the tank, probably more... There's going to have to be some salary going the other way, though, and that means the Canes are probably going to want some draft picks as compensation.

Hugh Madbrough 01-18-2010 03:46 PM

I've wanted the Pens to acquire Whitney for awhile. I think he'd really jumpstart the powerplay.

Captain Hook 01-18-2010 03:47 PM

Not imminent since it isn't happening right now. Could happen at the trade deadline. He'd be about the maximum salary we could take on at the deadline. We might even have to make a small move with the recent call-ups to make the cap room for him. Trading for Whitney isn't a bad idea. My guess for us to acquire at the deadline this year has always been Poni though and I'm sticking to it for now.

Neeeeaaaal 01-18-2010 03:54 PM

I think you're all crazy. We don't need Ray Whitney. Adding isn't the key at this point. We can't just buy our way out of a tough spot every time we get in one. it gets old. It's like the team feels that they can't do anything on their own, and they need an injection of something new every so often to kickstart them. Hopefully that will wear off once the team gets older and more consistent, but God help us until then.