HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Colin Wilson's Development (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=726952)

jlsg 01-19-2010 08:06 AM

Colin Wilson's Development
 
In Glennon's blog he reports that Wilson is spending time at wing and having success. This could accelerate his path to Nashville since we seem to have a glut of centermen. Glennon Blog.
The idea in the comments about an O'Reilly, Hornqvist, Wilson line is interesting as well as Trotz's comments about a Legwand, Ward, Wilson line.

thejlb* 01-19-2010 09:14 AM

I love the idea of both lines. Wilson does alot of things well. His ability to create space with his skating will add an a little to both lines.

Roman Yoshi 01-19-2010 09:53 AM

I was always hoping for an Erat Wilson Hornqvist line, but a Wilson Legwand Ward line sounds nice. I am curious to see how Wilson and Horqvist would do together...

worstfaceoffmanever 01-19-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsg (Post 23281785)
In Glennon's blog he reports that Wilson is spending time at wing and having success. This could accelerate his path to Nashville since we seem to have a glut of centermen. Glennon Blog.
The idea in the comments about an O'Reilly, Hornqvist, Wilson line is interesting as well as Trotz's comments about a Legwand, Ward, Wilson line.

But moving a center to the wing is bad. :sarcasm:

OpenWheel 01-19-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 23283144)
But moving a center to the wing is bad. :sarcasm:

As you've been instructing us since the close of last season whenever someone suggested that one of our Milwaukee centers or a center acqusition could make the team... ;)

BigFatCat999 01-19-2010 11:34 AM

Behave children.

If Wilson can play wing and can improve the team, do it. With a full roster where would he play?

Sully-Arnott-Hornqvist
Erat-Legwand-Wilson
Ward-Goc-Jones
Tootoo-Smithson-Spaling
Belak


I know I'm missing someone

JR303 01-19-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 23284072)
Behave children.

If Wilson can play wing and can improve the team, do it. With a full roster where would he play?

Sully-Arnott-Hornqvist
Erat-Legwand-Wilson
Ward-Goc-Jones
Tootoo-Smithson-Spaling
Belak


I know I'm missing someone

Dumont.

Of course, he's been somewhat forgettable this season.

BigFatCat999 01-19-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR303 (Post 23284522)
Dumont.

Of course, he's been somewhat forgettable this season.

Thanks, how could I forget the French Canadian in the group. Mea Culpa to my Quebecor heritage.

I just wonder if Wilson does come would he be willing to play 3rd line? With Sully-Arnott-Dumont-Erat-Legwand-Ward-Hornqvist-Wilson-Goc. You can have so many Trotz line combos that ALL would work. Hell, you could throw in Jones, Tootoo, and Smithson and it still would work.

thejlb* 01-19-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 23284072)
Behave children.

If Wilson can play wing and can improve the team, do it. With a full roster where would he play?

Sully-Arnott-Hornqvist
Erat-Legwand-Wilson
Ward-Goc-Jones
Tootoo-Smithson-Spaling
Belak


I know I'm missing someone

I actually really like the sound of these lines. Now where to put dumont???

braindead 01-19-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejlb (Post 23286348)
I actually really like the sound of these lines. Now where to put dumont???

In the Eastern conference? Seriously, Dumont is the streakiest of streaky players so I'd say he is due for a 15 game scoring binge but I wonder if trading him is one way to address our budget for next year as well as work in Wilson.

As to the real question, I'd like Wilson on a line with a shooter; I'm worried Wilson Legwand Ward has Ward as the primary shooter. I'd prefer him with Hornqvist, who shoots more than Pete Maravich in his heyday.... more than a herion addicted lottery winner... more than Annie Oakley at a Wild West Show... more than- nevermind.

token grinder 01-19-2010 10:13 PM

i like:

hornquist-arnott-erat-net crasher/floater/playmaker
jones-goc-dumont-net crasher/floater/playmaker
sullivan-legwand-ward playmaker/floater/netcrasher---also is shutdown line
tootoo-smithson-wilson-netcrasher/floater/playmaker---better be pure energy too!

belak
spaling back to the A, not becasue of his play, but we need him to continue to develop

pk pair-erat/legwand, smithson/ward, goc/tootoo. suter/bouillon/klein/hamhuis

pp1
horn-net, arnott-dot, dumont-half boards. weber point, suter qb
pp2
jones-net, wilson-dot, sully half boards franson point, klein qb

gives everyone a role on special teams too

Soundgarden 01-20-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by token grinder (Post 23298564)
i like:

hornquist-arnott-erat-net crasher/floater/playmaker
jones-goc-dumont-net crasher/floater/playmaker
sullivan-legwand-ward playmaker/floater/netcrasher---also is shutdown line
tootoo-smithson-wilson-netcrasher/floater/playmaker---better be pure energy too!

belak
spaling back to the A, not becasue of his play, but we need him to continue to develop

pk pair-erat/legwand, smithson/ward, goc/tootoo. suter/bouillon/klein/hamhuis

pp1
horn-net, arnott-dot, dumont-half boards. weber point, suter qb
pp2
jones-net, wilson-dot, sully half boards franson point, klein qb

gives everyone a role on special teams too

That looks great, but I'd switch Legwand and Ward with Goc and Dumont.

jlsg 01-20-2010 10:28 AM

I think if you put Wilson on the 4th line with 3 or 4 minutes a game you'd be wasting the potential. Playmaking skills would be worthless. He's got a lot more talent then 4th line minutes.

utmfisher19 01-20-2010 11:11 AM

Just because Goc has been EXTREMELY solid and played a bit over his head does NOT mean he DESERVES a 3rd line spot. If you have Wilson or O'Reilly ready to go, Goc needs to be on the 4th line playing good hockey down there and let the young ones produce more than him on the 3rd.

WartracePred 01-20-2010 05:26 PM

Can't see that Wilson is going to produce more than Goc, AND play solid two-way hockey this season. Maybe with a year under Wilson's belt at Milwaukee he is a better option on the 3rd line than Goc. I think he just lost too much development time with his injury this year.

Paranoid Android 01-20-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utmfisher19 (Post 23305287)
Just because Goc has been EXTREMELY solid and played a bit over his head does NOT mean he DESERVES a 3rd line spot. If you have Wilson or O'Reilly ready to go, Goc needs to be on the 4th line playing good hockey down there and let the young ones produce more than him on the 3rd.

I disagree with this line of thinking. I understand the logic in it though.

If Goc is producing, you leave him there. Wilson and O'Reilly didn't do anything on a scoring line, so why would we try to force it? Sometimes you play what works, not what looks better on paper or what is better for an individual's development.

utmfisher19 01-21-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predanerd (Post 23312506)
I disagree with this line of thinking. I understand the logic in it though.

If Goc is producing, you leave him there. Wilson and O'Reilly didn't do anything on a scoring line, so why would we try to force it? Sometimes you play what works, not what looks better on paper or what is better for an individual's development.

I understand your line of thinking, 'if he is producing, leave him there'. Just because a guy is putting up 40 points, does not mean we can't replace him with a guy that will put up 50...

But O'Reilly DID do something on a scoring line -- 3 points in 4 games, actually. Also, i said IF you have Wilson or O'Reilly ready to go in the NHL, then you move Goc to the 4th. All based on IF they are ready to make the jump.


*Note: I like having Goc on the 3rd line under Trotz because it gives us two options for shut-down lines

Fortheloveofthegame 01-21-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predanerd (Post 23312506)
I disagree with this line of thinking. I understand the logic in it though.

If Goc is producing, you leave him there. Wilson and O'Reilly didn't do anything on a scoring line, so why would we try to force it? Sometimes you play what works, not what looks better on paper or what is better for an individual's development.

To be fair, When Wilson was with Nashville the whole team was not producing. Erat did not have a point and Sullivan had one assist. The team was struggling as a whole so to assess his play during that time is not a great gauge.
I think Goc has more than earned a regular spot in the Preds line up, but I also think, after the Olympics they would be wise to bring Wilson up and give him more experience at the NHL level! Whether at center or wing.

goalscorer 01-24-2010 09:16 PM

I wonder with O'reilly and Wilson getting called up, if we'll see Colin take Wards spot and Cal take Goc's or vice versa?

I'd like to see Colin get some time on the wing during this stint. He seems to be a pretty responsible center,but I'd like to see what he can do offensively without having that defensive responsability. Although I'd prefer his size over Cals in front of the net.

Seth Lake 01-24-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goalscorer (Post 23397477)
I wonder with O'reilly and Wilson getting called up, if we'll see Colin take Wards spot and Cal take Goc's or vice versa?

I'd like to see Colin get some time on the wing during this stint. He seems to be a pretty responsible center,but I'd like to see what he can do offensively without having that defensive responsability. Although I'd prefer his size over Cals in front of the net.

Interesting thing is that Wilson has been playing on O'Reilly's wing the past couple weeks...

Fortheloveofthegame 01-25-2010 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=SLake;23397921]Interesting thing is that Wilson has been playing on O'Reilly's wing the past couple weeks...[/QUOTE]

Wilson played wing with O'Reilly the last three games. Before then he was playing center.
In Manitoba, when he had a huge weekend, he played center with Ovechki and Mueller. They started Friday nights game with the same lines against Chicago, but when things went badly....6-1, they switched lines and put him on wing with O'Reilly to shake things up

Seth Lake 02-01-2010 03:45 PM

Colin Wilson named AHL Rookie of the Month for January
 
Quote:

The American Hockey League announced today that Milwaukee Admirals center Colin Wilson has been named the Reebok/AHL Rookie of the Month for January. In 17 games during a busy month, Wilson tallied seven goals and 13 assists for 20 points along with a plus-5 rating.

Wilson entered January with just five points in his first 16 AHL games, but by month’s end he had cracked the league’s top 20 among rookie scorers for the season. Wilson notched his first multiple-point game as a pro on Jan. 3 at Hamilton, registering a goal and two assists in a 6-4 loss to the Bulldogs. He had an assist in three straight games from Jan. 7-10, and then went off for five points (1g, 4a) in Milwaukee’s 6-2 win at Manitoba on Jan. 16, at the time tying an AHL season high. Wilson wrapped up the month on a five-game scoring streak, including a goal and an assist on Jan. 31 vs. Hamilton.

In recognition of his achievement, Wilson will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Admirals home game.
http://theahl.com/wilson-named-rooki...-month-p140452

Wilson will probably be left in Milwaukee through the Olympic break and recalled thereafter if he continues at this pace. Colin could make for a great late season addition and keep some of our assets intact not having to go after a second forward at the deadline...

glenngineer 02-01-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 23564848)
http://theahl.com/wilson-named-rooki...-month-p140452

Wilson will probably be left in Milwaukee through the Olympic break and recalled thereafter if he continues at this pace. Colin could make for a great late season addition and keep some of our assets intact not having to go after a second forward at the deadline...

I suspect you're right. If he continues to light it up, he'll be a call up in March. I think what Poile and Trotz wanted to see was some consistency in his game and I think he's doing that now. He does that for another month and he'll be playing with the big boys. If that's the case, O'Reilly may be sent packing for some depth if we decide to use Wilson at center. If not, Smithson seems like a likely candidate to get bumped off the line with Ward and Legwand and replaced by Wilson.

smitty10 02-01-2010 06:31 PM

It's good to see that you guys are developing him properly. I can see the Leafs rushing Kadri straight into the NHL. I want to see him in the AHL for most of a year like Wilson and give him a few chances to get his feet wet in the NHL.

BigFatCat999 02-02-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 23564848)
http://theahl.com/wilson-named-rooki...-month-p140452

Wilson will probably be left in Milwaukee through the Olympic break and recalled thereafter if he continues at this pace. Colin could make for a great late season addition and keep some of our assets intact not having to go after a second forward at the deadline...

I wonder if the plan is, using Joe's rumor which usually can be solid, of Hamhuis to Ottawa.

Hamhuis to Ottawa for Picard and pick

O'Reilly and pick to Toronto for Poni

Bring up Wilson


Right now Nashville's is respectable. 16th as I type this. And the defense is coming around, 15th in the league. It would almost seem like too much change. The forward situation is interesting. Most feel Tootoo is coming back but to be honest HOW? You have two forward spots opening up with Tootoo and Belak. O'Reilly is on a one way next year and Wilson is ready. If O'Reilly is traded, I would not be surprised.

Even with a trade that only leaves one spot open unless the management does what was once unthinkable and starts to trade off Sully, Arnott, and Dumont.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.