HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs pushing for lots of players (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=727429)

the goalie man 31 01-20-2010 12:15 PM

Habs pushing for lots of players

We all know Eklund and the BS he brings, but the rumors that he spreads are fun to discuss.

His latest update says that the Canadiens are looking at Kovalchuk, Selanne, Souray or Hannan, and Cogliano.

That would be a lot of money going out.

Discuss!

Source: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...--more/1/25622

couz 01-20-2010 12:25 PM

We have such crappy depth up front its ridiculous.

The drop off in talent from our current top 5 forwards to our bottom 6 forwards is so wide.

So I hope Gainey is looking at players....a lot of players.

WestIslander 01-20-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

We all know Eklund and the BS he brings, but the rumors that he spreads are fun to discuss.

His latest update says that the Canadiens are looking at Kovalchuk, Selanne, Souray or Hannan, and Cogliano.

Discuss!

I think that Montreal would love to bring Souray back and make him the captain and I think he would love it as well! He is exactly what this team needs and brings size, toughness, grit, a shot and leadership to the table.

To Montreal:

Sheldon Souray + Andrew Cogliano

To Edmonton:

Roman Hamrlik + Jaroslav Halak + Matt D'Agostini

In regards to Kovalchuk, Selanne and Hannan, I don't see it happening and I don't want to pay Kovalchuk the money he wants and Selanne won't come here is asked!

Habs 4 Life 01-20-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the goalie man 31 (Post 23305344)

Discuss!

Besides Kovalchuk none of the other guys would help this team.I don't think we have the players to trade for Kovalchuk either so I don't see a deal happening

usernam 01-20-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestIslander (Post 23305551)
I think that Montreal would love to bring Souray back and make him the captain and I think he would love it as well! He is exactly what this team needs and brings size, toughness, grit, a shot and leadership to the table.

To Montreal:

Sheldon Souray + Andrew Cogliano

To Edmonton:

Roman Hamrlik + Jaroslav Halak + Matt D'Agostini

In regards to Kovalchuk, Selanne and Hannan, I don't see it happening and I don't want to pay Kovalchuk the money he wants and Selanne won't come here is asked!

I don't think we need another (expensive) D who sucks in his own zone.

Ginu 01-20-2010 12:46 PM

Cogliano is irrelevant. What, is he going to play on our 3rd line? He can fit in my pocket. Metro and Moen are decent 3rd liners and Pacs is a young stud. Right now, our problem is in our 4th line. The third line is just in a slump. They were charged at the beginning of the season.

WestIslander 01-20-2010 12:46 PM

The way we can make the Kovalchuk deal work is if Atlanta takes Hamrlik or Gomez from us and since Hamrlik only has one season left on his contract, it would be him.

To Montreal:

Ilya Kovalchuk

To Atlanta:

Roman Hamrlik + Andrei Kostitsyn + Sergei Kostitsyn + Matt D'Agostini

dfk711* 01-20-2010 12:47 PM

I don't see Selanne leaving the Ducks regardless of where they are at the deadline.

Agnostic 01-20-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestIslander (Post 23305817)
The way we can make the Kovalchuk deal work is if Atlanta takes Hamrlik or Gomez from us and since Hamrlik only has one season left on his contract, it would be him.

To Montreal:

Ilya Kovalchuk

To Atlanta:

Roman Hamrlik + Andrei Kostitsyn + Sergei Kostitsyn + Matt D'Agostini

This is Kovalchuk for the proverbial bag of pucks. Atlanta needs to get a big piece of future to give up this guy. Montreal doesn't have the package to do it.

Oroku Saki* 01-20-2010 12:57 PM

To New Jersey:
Brian Gionta
Scott Gomez
Pleks

To Montreal:
1st round pick 2010
Matt Halischuk
Matt Corrente
Brian Rolston
3rd round pick 2011

:sarcasm:

Kjell Dahlin 01-20-2010 01:02 PM

In the current context if Gainey goes after a big name rental, Molson should throw him away on the street!
I think Gainey is bigger than Molson though… I am willing to help if necessary!

hototogisu 01-20-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB30104 (Post 23305975)
To New Jersey:
Brian Gionta
Scott Gomez
Pleks

To Montreal:
1st round pick 2010
Matt Halischuk
Matt Corrente
Brian Rolston
3rd round pick 2011

:sarcasm:

No Cormier? :sarcasm:

Monctonscout 01-20-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the goalie man 31 (Post 23305344)

Discuss!

I can see some of the others but the Souray one makes no sense. The biggest area he could help is on PP and we are fine there, so I can't see Gainey being crazy enough to take that contract. Swapping him and Hamrlik would be another step backward 5 on 5.

supertzar 01-20-2010 01:09 PM

To Montreal:

Kovalchuck

To Atlanta:

AK
SK
Hamrlik
PK Subban
1st?

Is that even enough? Hypothetically, if we didn't sign him after giving all that then we're screwed...but it wont happen anyway.

INsiDE 01-20-2010 01:10 PM

I would give up allot for Ilya Kovalchuk .... this guy is a super star !!! IMO !

Been here 5 years and I only have 113 posts just hmmmm... I guess I LIKE TO WATCH ahaha... Go Habs GO !

PacoXIII 01-20-2010 01:12 PM

Keep PK Subban out of this thread please.

King Woodballs 01-20-2010 01:12 PM

I wouldnt give up anything for him.
The Habs are not able to sign him next year.
So why waste what little assests they have to give

Monctonscout 01-20-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertzar (Post 23306184)
To Montreal:

Kovalchuck

To Atlanta:

AK
SK
Hamrlik
PK Subban
1st?

Is that even enough? Hypothetically, if we didn't sign him after giving all that then we're screwed...but it wont happen anyway.

I think it's enough if not too much...but why the heck would the Habs trade all that for a rental. Plus by taking AK46 and Hamrlik out of the lineup, the short term net gain is not that big...yeah Kovalcuk will score 4-5 more goals than AK in the last 25 games but losing Hamrlik will lead to more GA, this year he's our best defensive d-man.

...that's not even mentionning the long term loss of AK, PK and the 1st or the ridiculous cap hit Kovalchuk would have. At an 8-9 mil cap hit he SHOULDN'T cost any player assets.

Marc-E- 01-20-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 23305948)
exactly,come deadline time the Habs are always in on everybody:laugh:

Ah well it gives us something to talk about...

Specially when Gainey will present in front of media:"I like our team and I think we can compete. That's why I didn't move today."

supertzar 01-20-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 23306361)
I think it's enough if not too much...but why the heck would the Habs trade all that for a rental. Plus by taking AK46 and Hamrlik out of the lineup, the short term net gain is not that big...yeah Kovalcuk will score 4-5 more goals than AK in the last 25 games but losing Hamrlik will lead to more GA, this year he's our best defensive d-man.

...that's not even mentionning the long term loss of AK, PK and the 1st or the ridiculous cap hit Kovalchuk would have. At an 8-9 mil cap hit he SHOULDN'T cost any player assets.

I completely agree. I was just proposing something that ATL fans might consider valuable in a trade.

At the same time..this is what it might cost to get a superstar winger or centerman. Until we give something like this up, we wont have a superstar to build a team around because we sure as hell can't sign one and we're never crappy enough to pick in the top 3.

Monctonscout 01-20-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertzar (Post 23306421)
I completely agree. I was just proposing something that ATL fans might consider valuable in a trade.

At the same time..this is what it might cost to get a superstar winger or centerman. Until we give something like this up, we wont have a superstar to build a team around because we sure as hell can't sign one and we're never crappy enough to pick in the top 3.

I don't consider Kovalchuk a superstar. To me he is a star and an impact player/game breaker...but would he really change our team that much.

In my opinion a guy like Markov makes as much of an impact on the game as he does(when healthy) and Price has the same level of talent(though he has not yet hit his prime).

Up front we have a lot of good pieces, but we need more depth so we are not always relying on 3-4 players, especially when injuries hit.

supertzar 01-20-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 23306535)
I don't consider Kovalchuk a superstar. To me he is a star and an impact player/game breaker...but would he really change our team that much.

In my opinion a guy like Markov makes as much of an impact on the game as he does(when healthy) and Price has the same level of talent(though he has not yet hit his prime).

Up front we have a lot of good pieces, but we need more depth so we are not always relying on 3-4 players, especially when injuries hit.

In a nut shell..and I'm going to be captain obvious here...this team needs a lot more talent to rise from the last 15 years (aside from a few outliers) of mediocrity it has been stewing in.

The Gal Pals 01-20-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by couz (Post 23305494)
We have such crappy depth up front its ridiculous.

The drop off in talent from our current top 5 forwards to our bottom 6 forwards is so wide.

So I hope Gainey is looking at players....a lot of players.

I don't necessarily believe that. The problem is that the bottom 6 forwards are NOT playing their roles properly. If you're on the checking line (MOEN, LAPIERRE) be a checker! That sort of thing.

shutehinside 01-20-2010 02:03 PM

If Montreal wants Kovalchuk, even as a rental, Atlanta said they want a simliar package as the one they got from Pittsburgh. Therefore:

1st rounder pick
2nd rounder pick
A. Kosty (scoring winger)
S. Kosty, Webber or Max Pac (young prospect)

Kovalchuk - Gomez - Gionta
Cammy - Plex - Pouliot
Moen - Metro - Patches/ S. Kosty
BGL - Lapierre - MAB

Looks pretty good to me. Expensive but good

After this type of package you'd then have to find the money to sign him to something like a 10 year $9-10M per for $90-100 Million.

If anyone thinks Burke droped the ball with the Kessel trade, this would be double the size of that move.

Something along these lines is whay I think Atlanta would be looking for imo.

Habsfan18 01-20-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PacoXIII (Post 23306225)
Keep PK Subban out of this thread please.

Agreed.