HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Prospect Info: Hamonic named #1 WHL Defenseman (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=728077)

crazy Kassian 01-21-2010 07:40 PM

Hamonic named #1 WHL Defenseman

Hamonic named best defenseman in the WHL by Hockeysfuture :handclap:

I hope he recovers from that injury and doesn't get hindered in anyway. Definitely can see a Shea Weber in him

Doug Height 01-21-2010 07:47 PM

Very nice. Can't wait to see him on the island.

TheBoss22 01-21-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgson (Post 23335718)

I hope he recovers from that injury and doesn't get hindered in anyway. Definitely can see a Shea Weber in him

Shea Weber is HUGE. Unless Travis puts on 30 lbs and grows 4". I see him as a good all around D-MAN but no All Star.

Hipster Doofus 01-21-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss22 (Post 23342666)
Shea Weber is HUGE. Unless Travis puts on 30 lbs and grows 4". I see him as a good all around D-MAN but no All Star.

Don't need size to play big. Lest we forget our own Potvin was 6'0". A midget to some here. He plays much bigger, you don't need mass to throw hits, you need technique and the willingness to do it.

RWWallpaper 01-21-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus (Post 23342850)
Don't need size to play big. Lest we forget our own Potvin was 6'0". A midget to some here. He plays much bigger, you don't need mass to throw hits, you need technique and the willingness to do it.

Excellent point. For our young fans here, ask Darius Kasparaitis if you have to be a big guy to throw HUGE hits.

Size does not throw hits...heart does.

Seph 01-22-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss22 (Post 23342666)

Not that I expect Hamonic to turn out as good as Weber, but size is hardly his biggest issue. Hamonic is 6'2" and 215lbs, whereas Weber is 6'4" 230lbs. Smaller, for sure, but the size difference is unlikely to to be the biggest factor in why Hamonic probably won't be as good as Shea Weber (though, I certainly hope he does).

TheBoss22 01-22-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Although Potvin was built like a Douglas Fir, guys are much bigger now. And the comparison, and my comment was to Shea Weber who is an elite defenceman in today's game. Let's not give Hammy the Norris yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWWallpaper (Post 23343728)
Excellent point. For our young fans here, ask Darius Kasparaitis if you have to be a big guy to throw HUGE hits.

Size does not throw hits...heart does.

That is a better comparison. But Hammy doesn't do the hip checks. He'll stand you straight up with a stiff arm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seph (Post 23344837)
Not that I expect Hamonic to turn out as good as Weber, but size is hardly his biggest issue. Hamonic is 6'2" and 215lbs, whereas Weber is 6'4" 230lbs. Smaller, for sure, but the size difference is unlikely to to be the biggest factor in why Hamonic probably won't be as good as Shea Weber (though, I certainly hope he does).

He looks small when watching him play in jrs/Subway Seriers/WJC. He needs at least 5 years to build the type of mass that Weber has.

mm11 01-22-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss22 (Post 23345328)
Although Potvin was built like a Douglas Fir, guys are much bigger now. And the comparison, and my comment was to Shea Weber who is an elite defenceman in today's game. Let's not give Hammy the Norris yet.

That is a better comparison. But Hammy doesn't do the hip checks. He'll stand you straight up with a stiff arm.

He looks small when watching him play in jrs/Subway Seriers/WJC. He needs at least 5 years to build the type of mass that Weber has.

among the numerous things I like about Hamonic ( i was going to say love but were talking hockey on a hockey board) is his booming 2 iron of a bomb from the point. he shoots right handed which is perfect to compliment left handed Streit and Dehaan to "souray" our PP one day. (hopefully)

BillD 01-22-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgson (Post 23335718)

Hamonic has a grade 3 AC seperation, will be out for 8 weeks.
Let us hope that there are no reocurrances or chronic problems.
Grade 3 is complete seperation of the clavicle from the joint-ligament.
Grade 1-3 are normally treated with rest, immobility of the joint and it heals naturally. Grade 4-6 normally requires surgery.
Surgery entails pins or other screws to bind the parts and is the more serious from a full recovery standpoint.
Still, that hit was dirty and unneccessary. Hamonic is a true top prospect, while not a monster liek Weber, very good NHL size, especially for NYI.

Doug Height 01-22-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goaljudge (Post 23347554)
Grade 1-3 are normally treated with rest, immobility of the joint and it heals naturally. Grade 4-6 normally requires surgery.
Surgery entails pins or other screws to bind the parts and is the more serious from a full recovery standpoint.
Still, that hit was dirty and unneccessary. Hamonic is a true top prospect, while not a monster liek Weber, very good NHL size, especially for NYI.

The injury actually wasn't as bad as first thought and it turned into a 4-5 week injury.

CrimsonBruin21 01-22-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Height (Post 23351258)
The injury actually wasn't as bad as first thought and it turned into a 4-5 week injury.

Let's certainly hope so.

Short-term (hopefully) health aside- he's turned into a big-time prospect for us... dare I say... a "blue chipper"?

I've mentioned this in other threads about Hamonic... but his big league heavy slap shop combined with his rapid ascendancy in the WHL and the fact that we grabbed him in the 2nd Round reminds me very much of Bryan McCabe at the same juncture. Maybe this organization will get a "mulligan" on one of those brain dead Milbury trades after all...

desmond 01-22-2010 02:06 PM

Congrats.

Mr Islander 01-22-2010 02:22 PM

Just saw the "hit" from behind on YouTube, what a cowardly push into the boards from that opposing player.

Titan124 01-22-2010 02:38 PM

Is Hamonic an overager?

Belarus 01-22-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goaljudge (Post 23347554)

I had Grade 3 AC ligament tear in my left shoulder. Pain was brutal for a week. Doctor said the exact same thing that Grade 3 does not require surgery. It healed completely, with a little bump on my shoulder as a reminder of trauma. Hopefully, Travis heals 100% too.

Mr Wentworth 01-22-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Peca

FLYLine24* 01-22-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titan124 (Post 23352669)
Is Hamonic an overager?

Nope.

BillD 01-23-2010 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithtown31 (Post 23351480)
Let's certainly hope so.

Short-term (hopefully) health aside- he's turned into a big-time prospect for us... dare I say... a "blue chipper"?

I've mentioned this in other threads about Hamonic... but his big league heavy slap shop combined with his rapid ascendancy in the WHL and the fact that we grabbed him in the 2nd Round reminds me very much of Bryan McCabe at the same juncture. Maybe this organization will get a "mulligan" on one of those brain dead Milbury trades after all...

With all of his natural and physical gifts, I have a feeling that Travis is a highly motivated young man partly due to his life experiences of losing his dad at a very young age. A Dad in a boys life is such an important personage and Travis has overcome that loss to excel to where he is now. Sometimes that is a hidden part of the DNA to succeed, the hunger to be better. Not all athletes have that drive, they get by on gifts alone. I think that Travis has that extra motivation which will make him a blue chip prospect. He's known hard times already in his life. We may have hit the jackpot with Hammy.

mm11 01-23-2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goaljudge (Post 23362808)
With all of his natural and physical gifts, I have a feeling that Travis is a highly motivated young man partly due to his life experiences of losing his dad at a very young age. A Dad in a boys life is such an important personage and Travis has overcome that loss to excel to where he is now. Sometimes that is a hidden part of the DNA to succeed, the hunger to be better. Not all athletes have that drive, they get by on gifts alone. I think that Travis has that extra motivation which will make him a blue chip prospect. He's known hard times already in his life. We may have hit the jackpot with Hammy.

no doubt this could be a huge motivator for Hammy. Personally what has me thrilled he is a NYI prospect is the fact he was drafted as a d man first, a shut down down, tough rugged western farm boy from the plains of Manitoba I think. This kid knows what tough is, had to man the farm along with his older brother after his dad passed away at a teenager time in his life.

So what does Travis do? mans up, takes care of business and devotes hockey as his therapy. Now we seeing him becoming a mainstay for Team canada at the WJC, dominating the DUB with well over a point a game while being a pyshical force he was drafted to be. he fights, skates, has a bomb of a shot, great size, great attitude and is tough as nails.

This kid was hand picked by past Isles enforcer Eric Cairns himself. Let's hope this shoulder injury does not slow him down too much but after experiencing what Hammy went through in life this will be nothing.

kid is on the fast track to the NHL. great pick NY Isles

CrimsonBruin21 01-23-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goaljudge (Post 23362808)

I didn't know that about him and makes him all the more impressive IMHO. Also provides evidence that Snow and Jankowski aren't just giving "lip service" to their "character" quotient in finding players.

You have to wonder where he would go in a 2008 Draft "do over". That was the draft of the "Big 4 defensemen" (Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo and Schenn). At the very least- I think it would be re-tabbed as the draft of the "Big 6 defensemen" with Hamonic and Myers joining the party... He'd probably still be 5th or 6th off the board out of that group... BUT no way he gets out of the first round again.

A complete steal by the Islanders... :yo:

BillD 01-23-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithtown31 (Post 23364464)
I didn't know that about him and makes him all the more impressive IMHO. Also provides evidence that Snow and Jankowski aren't just giving "lip service" to their "character" quotient in finding players.

You have to wonder where he would go in a 2008 Draft "do over". That was the draft of the "Big 4 defensemen" (Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo and Schenn). At the very least- I think it would be re-tabbed as the draft of the "Big 6 defensemen" with Hamonic and Myers joining the party... He'd probably still be 5th or 6th off the board out of that group... BUT no way he gets out of the first round again.

A complete steal by the Islanders... :yo:

When drafted Hamonic was considered a defensive defenseman but not exactly in the class of the big 4. He had not yet developed or shown the improvement that he has in the offensive side of his game. In addition, he was a very average 6'0" 200 lbs at the time.
Since the draft, he has grown 2" and added 15 lbs along with continued improvement of his offensive game.
We kind of got a little lucky here.

redbull 01-23-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithtown31 (Post 23364464)

You have to wonder where he would go in a 2008 Draft "do over".

Instead, can we have a simple "close your eyes and swap" in the 2003 draft? only the first round and only one player.

Le Golie 01-25-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoss22 (Post 23345328)

http://www.whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=23498

hgo 01-25-2010 02:53 PM

While I'm glad that Hamonic has emerged as a great WHL defender, let's not call him "a complete steal" until he proves his worth at the NHL level.