HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Scott Hartnell? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=72833)

The Mars Volchenkov 04-21-2004 04:15 PM

Scott Hartnell?

I know people didn't like the idea of moving Havlat for Hartnell that I brought up a while ago, but I think it's a great move.

Everyone wishing for Morrow is insane, but really, is Morrow that much better than Hartnell? Hartnell is younger and bigger. Morrow had 49 points in 81 games, where Hartnell had 33 points in 59 games.

The only problem I have with him is the health issue, but I think if Nashville is willing to move Hartnell, the Sens should jump all over him.

John Holmes* 04-21-2004 04:19 PM

Which begs the question:

Why would Nashville move Hartnell?

The Mars Volchenkov 04-21-2004 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Holmes
Which begs the question:

Why would Nashville move Hartnell?

They already have lots of grit, but IMO, lack a gamebreaker like Havlat.

s7ark 04-21-2004 04:34 PM

Would you really prefer Hartnell to Smyth? I maybe called a homer but I would think that a perenial fixture on team Canada (sometimes as Captain) who plays a gritty game in front of the net and on the boards and is capable of anywhere from 25-40 goals a year when not hurt and depending on the calibre of players he is with (scored 39 with Weight one year) would be of more interest then Hartnell.

Cause The Oilers might be willing to part with him for Havlat. We are stacked on LW and short on RW.

The Mars Volchenkov 04-21-2004 04:40 PM

I would prefer Smyth, but something tells me Edmonton won't deal him. Just a hunch.

V for Voodoo 04-21-2004 04:44 PM

If Hartnell can play leftwing, I do this deal.

The Mars Volchenkov 04-21-2004 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo
If Hartnell can play leftwing, I do this deal.

He is indeed a left winger.

trentmccleary 04-21-2004 05:15 PM

I can't bare to trade Havlat.
I'd rather go cheap on a Tomas Holmstrom type, who could do the job we need him to do but not at such a high price (in $$$ and trade).

Zoo 04-21-2004 05:32 PM

I would rather us get Morrow.Havlat should be enough to get him. :dunno:

s7ark 04-22-2004 12:57 AM

I dunno, you could probably convince Oiler fans of Havlat for Smyth straight up. I am an Oilers fan and I would do it. General agreement on our board as well that we would do that trade.

The Hamburglar 04-22-2004 01:30 AM

Most people on the trade rumours seem to have no problem trading Isbister and Rita for Bonk. While Isbister has been kind of a let down, so has Bonk. I also believe Rita didn't have a real chance to show his skills. When he was drafted, he was seen as a kamizake wrecking ball that would hit anything and everying (aka could still make a great energy player). He also had the best shot out of his 1999 draft class (at the time, don't know anymore)

Zoo 04-22-2004 03:07 AM

Okay if the preds have to add anything to this Havlat - Hartnell deal.I would hope we ask for Adam Hall too.He's a big winger that drives to the net.

Strapping Jocks 04-22-2004 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
I dunno, you could probably convince Oiler fans of Havlat for Smyth straight up. I am an Oilers fan and I would do it. General agreement on our board as well that we would do that trade.

As an Oiler fan and a Sens fan, living in Ottawa, I'd love to see this trade, and think it benefits both teams perfectly. Plus I'd get to see more Smytty - and a stronger LW in Ottawa for that matter.

Hossa 04-22-2004 12:41 PM

Maybe it's just me, but there is no way I'd trade Havlat for Hartnell. Maybe I'm just not the biggest Hartnell fan, but IMO, you're dealing a point a game 22 year old stud for a third liner. It's not really an intelligent trade off.

Not saying Hartnell would be cheap, it's kind of like Fisher would be incredibly expensive to get off Ottawa even though he's not as valuable league wide as Havlat is. Why? Because Fisher/Hartnell types have more value to their own team than in a trade, so the Sens probably would have to significantly overpay to get Hartnell. It's a deal that Nashville has no interest in making, so we'd have to overpay just to get them to consider it.

My suggestion is to go get somebody like Smyth, who is much more available, who makes sense to be dealt out of Edmonton, and don't overpay.

Also, why is it that once again Havlat is the guy we are dealing? He's our third best forward by a wide margin. He's also 22 and IMO was our best player in the second half of the season.

True he wasn't great in the playoffs, but it took Hossa a few years to come around there too.

Deal Bonk, dump Bondra and sign a physical forward this summer, deal Smolinski and de Vries IF it is possible with their contracts. But I certainly wouldn't trade Havlat at this point, and certainly not for Hartnell. I don't see much offensive upside in the guy, beyond what Fisher brings in the 40 point range. Let's save a 22 year old all-star calibre talent and give up other, lesser assets for a gritty potential scoring line LW, preferably who is available rather than almost untouchable.