HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Larry Brooks: Send AA to the AHL During Olympic Break (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=729384)

RangerBoy 01-25-2010 06:04 AM

Send AA to the AHL During Olympic Break
 
Quote:

Understand, Anisimov is hardly the cause of the myriad problems the Rangers will tote into tonight's Garden match against the Penguins. Rather, his steady drip-drip-drip of a decline is more an effect of the dysfunction surrounding him on this uptight collection of athletes.
Quote:

But there will be serious repercussions if the promising Anisimov becomes a casualty of the infection spreading through the team. It is imperative that this year, this development year, be as constructive an experience as possible for the freshman. It is vital that Sather and Tortorella recognize this.

To that end, it is time for the Rangers to send Anisimov to the AHL Wolf Pack so that the kid can find his game, bring it to a consistently superior level against minor league opponents, and thus regain his confidence.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...fO5MHHKrMAHkLP

Larry proposes sending AA to Hartford until the Olympic break is over on March 1. The break begins three weeks from yesterday and last two weeks. Five weeks of development time. Maybe AA will get Grachev the puck and they can come up together to fill the holes when the Rangers conduct the sell off at the March 3 trading deadline:sarcasm:

The Rangers could fill the hole by moving Drury back to center. Prospal,Drury,Christensen and Boyle at center. Dubinsky could move back and forth between center and wing. Opens up a roster spot to "showcase" Kotalik,Brasher,etc until the deadline.

Look at the picture in the article,that's not AA. When did AA start shooting righty? It's Kotalik.

Torts is going to choke on his oatmeal reading "dysfunction" and "infection" in regards to his team.

The Rangers are suffering from the disease of "me,myself and I".

Vitto79 01-25-2010 06:17 AM

Anyone that can be sent down to Hartford should be. Who cares if AA and Gilroy are down working on there games and then back up when the Olympics are over?.......so sure for the Olympics only yea

blue68 01-25-2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 23401497)
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...fO5MHHKrMAHkLP

Larry proposes sending AA to Hartford until the Olympic break is over on March 1. The break begins three weeks from yesterday and last two weeks. Five weeks of development time. Maybe AA will get Grachev the puck and they can come up together to fill the holes when the Rangers conduct the sell off at the March 3 trading deadline:sarcasm:

The Rangers could fill the hole by moving Drury back to center. Prospal,Drury,Christensen and Boyle at center. Dubinsky could move back and forth between center and wing. Opens up a roster spot to "showcase" Kotalik,Brasher,etc until the deadline.

Look at the picture in the article,that's not AA. When did AA start shooting righty? It's Kotalik.

Torts is going to choke on his oatmeal reading "dysfunction" and "infection" in regards to his team.

The Rangers are suffering from the disease of "me,myself and I".

This sums up completely what a garbage paper the Post is and Brooks along with it. Quick to list Torts' faults endlessly (and I'm far from a Tortorella fan) yet maybe Brooks could pay more attention to putting forth "quality work" himself - ( and regardless as to who inserted the picture - his name is on the column)

Jarkko Immonen 01-25-2010 06:37 AM

Yes please. ;)

But really, not that AA has been playing bad, but I've been talking about this with my father. They did the same thing with Callahan (it worked) and Korpikoski (not so much). But with the Olympics coming up, you might as well send him down. God knows Hartford could use the help.

DutchShamrock 01-25-2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue68 (Post 23401553)
This sums up completely what a garbage paper the Post is and Brooks along with it. Quick to list Torts' faults endlessly (and I'm far from a Tortorella fan) yet maybe Brooks could pay more attention to putting forth "quality work" himself - ( and regardless as to who inserted the picture - his name is on the column)

Oh stop. Every paper screws up photos. It happens. Brooks makes a good point and he didn't rip Tortorella at all. Read the article before you open your trap.

I Eat Crow 01-25-2010 06:39 AM

Can't say I disagree. Few may agree with me, but I think he's still too slow for the NHL. His footspeed hasn't caught up with his skill yet. Give him another year and a half and we'll see what he's really capable of. In the meantime, I wouldn't be opposed to a short stint in Hartford over the Olympic break.

UAGoalieGuy 01-25-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 23401524)
Anyone that can be sent down to Hartford should be. Who cares if AA and Gilroy are down working on there games and then back up when the Olympics are over?.......so sure for the Olympics only yea

I'm agree with this, let the kids that can go down to the AHL go down and get some more playing time and (hopefully) gain somemore confidence when the Olympic break ends. Plus, isn't Hartford dealing with some injury problems right now as well?

Who would be eligable to do so? AA, Gilroy, MDZ I think are the only ones that can go down.

I'm not saying play them every single game because they would end up playing 82 games in the NHL and like 15 or so games extra in the AHL during the break.

Jarkko Immonen 01-25-2010 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Eat Crow (Post 23401566)
Can't say I disagree. Few may agree with me, but I think he's still too slow for the NHL. His footspeed hasn't caught up with his skill yet. Give him another year and a half and we'll see what he's really capable of. In the meantime, I wouldn't be opposed to a short stint in Hartford over the Olympic break.

Oh no, not this again. ;)

Jarkko Immonen 01-25-2010 06:46 AM

Also I don't think MDZ can be sent down because he's 19. It's either the NHL or his junior team, right?

RangerBoy 01-25-2010 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen (Post 23401592)
Also I don't think MDZ can be sent down because he's 19. It's either the NHL or his junior team, right?

MDZ could only play in HFD on a conditioning stint. Say London's season ends in late March(when the OHL season ends),MDZ could be assigned to HFD because his junior eligibility would be up.

RangerBoy 01-25-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy (Post 23401577)
I'm agree with this, let the kids that can go down to the AHL go down and get some more playing time and (hopefully) gain somemore confidence when the Olympic break ends. Plus, isn't Hartford dealing with some injury problems right now as well?

Who would be eligable to do so? AA, Gilroy, MDZ I think are the only ones that can go down.

I'm not saying play them every single game because they would end up playing 82 games in the NHL and like 15 or so games extra in the AHL during the break.

The players are getting paid over the Olympic break and taking up cap space. Sending down a player to the AHL during the break saves cap money.

The break begins February 15. Rangers last game is February 14. Roster freeze is February 12. Gold medal game is February 28(Sunday) which is the same day the roster freeze ends.

Non Olympic players report to their teams 5 days before the Gold Medal game.

Everyone reports on March 1(Monday). Rangers play a game on March 2. Trading deadline is March 3.

Insane schedule. Roster freeze is 18 days away. Trading deadline is 3 days after the Gold Medal game. Essentially 21 NHL days until the trading deadline. Crazy.

NYR Sting 01-25-2010 07:13 AM

I think Brooks is absolutely right, and it's something that's been running through my head for about a week now. There's no harm in it and it's not like the Rangers need him right now. He's not doing anything and neither are they.

pld459666 01-25-2010 07:22 AM

.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 23401601)
MDZ could only play in HFD on a conditioning stint. Say London's season ends in late March(when the OHL season ends),MDZ could be assigned to HFD because his junior eligibility would be up.

I think that players can be sent to the Minors for 2 conditioning stints with the 2nd one the player has to agree to if I'm not mistaken.

I would think that if playing the games is going to allow him to continue playing well and staying sharp, all three guys would be chomping at the bit to get down there.

It would also give the Wolf Pack a nice shot of talent to help them and their struggles.

blue2noise 01-25-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 23401497)
The Rangers could fill the hole by moving Drury back to center.

I'd love to fill a hole with Drury

tjs252 01-25-2010 08:25 AM

I think a big part of development is confidence. It's not always just about production. I'm not sure the demotion would be the best for his confidence, but I'm not opposed to the theory of "go down now, get the PT and come back after the Olympics."

94now 01-25-2010 08:40 AM

Frankly, I cannot believe my eyes.
When I joined this board quite some time ago everyone (or almost everyone) was saying that youth has to be played instead of superstars that were aging. The agreement was we rather live through disappointments of growing pains, than see the washed up veterans. Brooks was one of the proponents of such approach. The conclusion was that Slats and Dolan will never do that. Now when we all were proven wrong and Rangers ice the young and promising (or not so promising) players Brooks as well as board want to send them to minors and wait till they rich the ripe age.
I am just shocked...:help:

nyr2k2 01-25-2010 08:43 AM

Send him down. Let him build confidence. Call up Byers. Your centers are Dubinsky-Drury-Chirstensen-Boyle, in some order. Byers can bang and agitate and replace Anisimov's non-existent offensive production.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94now (Post 23402173)
Frankly, I cannot believe my eyes.
When I joined this board quite some time ago everyone (or almost everyone) was saying that youth has to be played instead of superstars that were aging. The agreement was we rather live through disappointments of growing pains, than see the washed up veterans. Brooks was one of the proponents of such approach. The conclusion was that Slats and Dolan will never do that. Now when we all were proven wrong and Rangers ice the young and promising (or not so promising) players Brooks as well as board wants to send them to minors and wait till they rich the ripe age.
I am just shocked...:help:

No one is advocating sending him down because they don't like him or don't want to deal with his growing pains. We're advocating sending him down temporarily to build a little bit of confidence, and to keep him from being tainted by the group of bull****ters at the NHL level.

Taking a "play the kids" attitude doesn't mean you want to see the kids playing in the NHL at all times, regardless of whether or not you think it's beneficial to their development.

Callahan benefited from this, as did Gilroy to an extent. It's not some philosophical shift, it's one player and it's in an attempt to jump start him...not to let him rot while handing his spot to an underachieving veteran because we're thinking short term.

NYR Sting 01-25-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94now (Post 23402173)
Frankly, I cannot believe my eyes.
When I joined this board quite some time ago everyone (or almost everyone) was saying that youth has to be played instead of superstars that were aging. The agreement was we rather live through disappointments of growing pains, than see the washed up veterans. Brooks was one of the proponents of such approach. The conclusion was that Slats and Dolan will never do that. Now when we all were proven wrong and Rangers ice the young and promising (or not so promising) players Brooks as well as board wants to send them to minors and wait till they rich the ripe age.
I am just shocked...:help:

He wants one player sent to the minors for 3 weeks. Stop trying to turn it into some epic change of direction. Artie clearly has lost some confidence. Let him try and get it back, like Callahan did.

94now 01-25-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting36e (Post 23402211)
He wants one player sent to the minors for 3 weeks. Stop trying to turn it into some epic change of direction. Artie clearly has lost some confidence. Let him try and get it back, like Callahan did.

Then he would have wrote it differently. The impression is that current stewardship is unable to handle the youth, in general.

Trxjw 01-25-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94now (Post 23402356)
Then he would have wrote it differently. The impression is that current stewardship is unable to handle the youth, in general.

Did you even read the article?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Brooks
If Anisimov were to go to Hartford now, he'd have a solid five weeks until the end of the Olympic break to re-establish himself and put himself in position for a meaningful recall when the Rangers' season resumes on March 2, following the 15-day break that commences Feb. 15.

There's no "hidden message" in there. It's about as straight forward as you can get.

nyr2k2 01-25-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94now (Post 23402356)
Then he would have wrote it differently. The impression is that current stewardship is unable to handle the youth, in general.

Well the impression that you're getting seems to be different than the impression everyone else is getting, so maybe the issue is on your end rather than how Brooks wrote the article.

RangerFan10 01-25-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchShamrock (Post 23401565)
Oh stop. Every paper screws up photos. It happens.

No, not really. What's even worse is they could do a quick fix online by now, and haven't.

NYR Sting 01-25-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerFan10 (Post 23402553)
No, not really. What's even worse is they could do a quick fix online by now, and haven't.

Yes, really. And who is going to complain? Take it from someone with some newspaper experience: No one gives a **** about hockey at these papers. Sometimes, not even the guys writing the hockey stories.

Fletch 01-25-2010 09:19 AM

I think it's a great idea for Anisimov to go down, get more ice time and regain his confidence and be ready for what is hopefully a March run to the playoffs, enabling him to be more productive to the effort and gain valuable experience.

RangerFan10 01-25-2010 09:23 AM

the first quote by the OP from Brooks suggests that things are so messed up here that it's actually going to hurt AA's development to continue to play here. His main point may be that it'd be good for AA's confidence and that you could do it during the olympic break, but not without a subtle jab to this team. Not to say it isn't dsyfunctional, but I always think writers and readers both tend to baby along rookies when it comes to how they develop. Anisimov's a big boy, just like Del Zotto, and Gilroy, and any other rookie you want to talk about. If they're anywhere close to levelheaded they'll understand this team is not your ideal team and not let it alter how good they're going to be in the future.

Some people make it seem like if there's a handful of players on the Rangers that don't care, AA's going to say to himself "Well, I guess this is how the NHL is" and start not giving a crap. It's not the first time any of these guys have played on a team before.

That being said, it makes perfect sense to send AA, Gilroy, and anyone else that's eligible to go down to Hartford, to hartford for the break. I'm not sure if the salary cap would be affected at all either, but we saved some money on Gilroy's cap hit by sending him down earlier this year...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.