HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Summertime: What happens in goal then? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=729470)

1865 01-25-2010 10:53 AM

Summertime: What happens in goal then?

Emery's back and doing pretty well, but do we stick with him long-term? It's quite a crucial summer again with two of our three goalies becoming UFA's again whilst there are a decent amount of young talent reportedly available. Rinne and Hiller are pending UFA's, Halak looks set to be jettisoned in favour of Price and the same applies for Schneider for Luongo and Harding for Backstrom. Vokoun's probably going to be gettable too.

For me, i'd sign up Emery to another year or two and make a move for either Schneider or Harding as back-up. Let Emery walk at the end and make the other our starter all being well.

Bouch and Leighton have done a decent job, but they're both ageing and i think we really ought to take advantage of a few real young talents available right now. Too long have we made do with good enough rather than dominating.

L-train* 01-25-2010 10:56 AM

How much cap room will the Flyers have this summer?

RoDu 01-25-2010 10:57 AM

I'll let you know in the summertime

sa cyred 01-25-2010 10:58 AM

Personally I dont want to think about it, but I am iffy on Josh Harding. It is shown this year that without the defensive play, he is an average goalie (watched a few games he has played in). Schneider also hasnt looked that good in the few games he has gotten. Also in the AHL he has been doing average.

I'd be more up for either Rinne or Hiller, but they might command some money which we dont have. It all comes down to the money... which we are already close to the cap on.

sa cyred 01-25-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-train (Post 23403937)
How much cap room will the Flyers have this summer?

10.3 mil if we dont resign anyone.

We would need 4 forwards, 2 d-men and a goalie

Jester 01-25-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 23404025)

See, everything's fine.

chimrichalds18 01-25-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 23404078)
See, everything's fine.

What are you going to do?

UseYourAllusion 01-25-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

and we'd be looking at replacing/resigning the likes of Danny Carcillo, Blair Betts, Arron Asham, Braydon Coburn, Darroll Powe, Mika Pyorala, OKT, and Danny Syrvet.

sa cyred 01-25-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 23404078)
See, everything's fine.

Maybe if we depended on the farm for our forwards and d-men we will be fine, but we are talking about Homer here. He'd rather take people from outside of our system then anything else.

Of course goalie wise we are screwed. I wonder what goalie he will try to get for cheap. Also it all depends on how we do this year. What if we (which I dont think will happen) miss playoffs or lose in the first round. Do you really re-sign the whole roster and roll with the same team again? I, personally, would rather see someone like Matsumoto/Legein/Lehtivuori/Marshall/Bourdon get a shot then bringing in players for 1 year, like he always does.

sa cyred 01-25-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion (Post 23404132)
and we'd be looking at replacing/resigning the likes of Danny Carcillo, Blair Betts, Arron Asham, Braydon Coburn, Darroll Powe, Mika Pyorala, OKT, and Danny Syrvet.

I know they arent the goal scoring type of players, but they will most likely ask for alittle more money... which is alot even for us.

Lab Monkey 01-25-2010 11:12 AM

I am putting money on it we get Biron back for next year

JSTAFF 01-25-2010 11:13 AM

I personally want Halak. Don't care who we have to give to get him.

UseYourAllusion 01-25-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 23404179)
I know they arent the goal scoring type of players, but they will most likely ask for alittle more money... which is alot even for us.

Of them I'd like to see Carcillo, Betts, and Powe back at forward.

Maybe Parent depending on his heath, and Coburn, depending on the price.

sa cyred 01-25-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lab Monkey (Post 23404187)
I am putting money on it we get Biron back for next year

I keep saying this but PASS. The Biron era has passed. Rather resign Emery then Marty. Marty's inconsistency killed me. We had about 3 goalie controversies last year. Even though the Isle's d-men arent the greatest, some Isle fans have gone to said that Biron has lost them games single handedly at times. We dont need that.

buff 01-25-2010 11:19 AM

Emery for another year.... I really think and hope Nicola Riopel would be our future #1!!!

L-train* 01-25-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Carcillo - $1m
Betts - $850k
Powe - $750k

Syvret - $750k
Parent - $1m
Coburn - $1.5m

That's... $5.85m right there, leaving you with $4.15m for a goalie and a forward. I'm pretty sure Coburn can be had for less than $1.5 for 2 years as well, he certainly hasn't earned a raise. Carcillo and Betts I could see getting maybe an extra 250k each. Any more would be an overpayment.

Regarding the blank spots, I'd trade Gagne for picks and a prospect or something, which frees up $5.25m, sign Rinne for... $4.5m per? That leaves you with $4.9m to fill in two forward spots. Give Patty Maroon a shot to make the team, and if he makes it, that's $555k on the cap, leaving you with $4.345m. Sign someone for maybe $3m a year and keep the extra mill in cap space for an emergency.

RIPRichardsCarter 01-25-2010 11:24 AM

I'd personally like to have Emery back. I'm assuming he'll want around 2 years, 6-7 mil?

Jester 01-25-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-train (Post 23404314)
Carcillo - $1m
Betts - $850k
Powe - $750k

Syvret - $750k
Parent - $1m
Coburn - $1.5m

That's... $5.85m right there, leaving you with $4.15m for a goalie and a forward. I'm pretty sure Coburn can be had for less than $1.5 for 2 years as well, he certainly hasn't earned a raise. Carcillo and Betts I could see getting maybe an extra 250k each. Any more would be an overpayment.

Regarding the blank spots, I'd trade Gagne for picks and a prospect or something, which frees up $5.25m, sign Rinne for... $4.5m per? That leaves you with $4.9m to fill in two forward spots. Give Patty Maroon a shot to make the team, and if he makes it, that's $555k on the cap, leaving you with $4.345m. Sign someone for maybe $3m a year and keep the extra mill in cap space for an emergency.

For all his struggles, I think that's a large dose of wishful thinking there. It would be one thing if he was buried on the third pairing, but he's still playing 20 minutes a night for us.

L-train* 01-25-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 23404580)
For all his struggles, I think that's a large dose of wishful thinking there. It would be one thing if he was buried on the third pairing, but he's still playing 20 minutes a night for us.

So what do you pay him? $2m a year? He certainly hasn't earned $3m yet. Frankly, if he wants more than $2m per year, I consider letting him walk. He is an RFA, so we would receive compensation.

Jester 01-25-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-train (Post 23404650)
So what do you pay him? $2m a year? He certainly hasn't earned $3m yet. Frankly, if he wants more than $2m per year, I consider letting him walk. He is an RFA, so we would receive compensation.

He can go to arbitration, and he'll almost definitely get a bit of a raise out of it.

On the open market...I wouldn't be shocked if someone offered him $3M a year or more. Defensemen get crazy money every offseason.

L-train* 01-25-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 23404681)
He can go to arbitration, and he'll almost definitely get a bit of a raise out of it.

On the open market...I wouldn't be shocked if someone offered him $3M a year or more. Defensemen get crazy money every offseason.

Going by last years numbers that's a first and a third.

SOLD! :)

sa cyred 01-25-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-train (Post 23404730)

Now we see Homer's plan? :sarcasm:

If anything on the goalie sitution, I think we should find a plan for a 3 year deal (for Emery or even Rinne). Maybe by then we could have a solid young goalie like Eriksson or someone who could turn out to be clutch.

jb** 01-25-2010 12:08 PM

It will be another cheap alternative or emery back on a 2 year deal. I have no problem with emery but I cant see the market being that great for him at all as a starter. Give him a raise to maybe 3mm. Cant see Shooter spending on a goalie. If not Esche is available.

FlyHigh 01-25-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-train (Post 23404730)

Somebody making a 3 mill+ offer for Coburn would be really nice for a number of reasons.

RJ8812* 01-25-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion (Post 23404132)

Carcillo and Powe are the only ones I'd resign for sure...Parent too I guess

Betts and Asham, depends on what they want

Pyorala, OKT & Syvret are easily replaceable, so they can walk

As for Coburn, I'd like to see him moved if we can get a good return.

As for Emery, he's probably our only option. $3-$3.5m for 2 years is all we can really offer him