HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   So what do we do with the 2nd line next year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=72988)

Natural Habs Fan 04-21-2004 11:54 PM

So what do we do with the 2nd line next year?

I know we're in the middle of a playoff run but I always like to look ahead. Even if we went on to win it all this year there are still things that can be done to make us an even better team.

So, assuming there is hockey & Kovalev comes back, there are a lot of other interesting UFA's coming up this summer that would look nice on the 2nd line. My pick would be Murray from Boston if he doesn't resign there. He'd be great with Ryder & Ribs. Or do we bring up some of our youth from Hamilton? Either option would be great. We could also do the same for lines 3 & 4.

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribiero-Murray or Perezhogin or Hossa
Bulis-Rolston or Perrault or Plekanec or Higgins-Dowd
Langdon-Begin-Ward

I'd let Juneau & Dackell go & leave Dags unprotected when the time comes. Perrault is always a tough choice for me cause I like the guy. He could be our 2nd line winger or 3rd line centre but would you want to take a chance on him over other UFA's? Sundstrom is there too and he's a good player, but I'd say there are better options.

As for the defence I think we don't need much work there. Everyone is competent and we have some young studs looking for more permanent work.

Markov-Rivet
Souray-Brisebois
Komisarek-Hainey
Boullion

I think Quintal will retire after this season.

Gainey has an interesting summer ahead no matter what happens. I am very excited to see how our team will look at the start of our next season. Even if there is a year off we'll still be in a good position because of our youth.

montreal 04-21-2004 11:58 PM

I'd bet money there's no season next year. It sounds very bad :cry: :mad:

But Hamilton will be great fun to go see. Hopefully Lambert, Urquhart, Flood, Kastsitsyn, Locke will make the team.

Raider917 04-22-2004 12:04 AM

it will likely depend on how much further we go this year. didnt gillette say that we had to get to the third round to break even? does that mean the 6 home game minimum that 3 rds would be or does it mean the third round with three 7 game series and 9 home games?

i think that kovalev has to be re-signed this season.i would really lie to see gainey go after a free agent defenseman moreso than a forward. it wouldnt be so bad if we didnt get murray, or another forward, and used perezhogin or another callup.

justicex 04-22-2004 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Ribiero-Murray or Perezhogin or Hossa
Bulis-Rolston or Perrault or Plekanec or Higgins-Dowd
Langdon-Begin-Ward

Kovi + Murray? heh you sent a 7 numbers check to Gillets yet? :joker:

Minos 04-22-2004 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider917
it will likely depend on how much further we go this year. didnt gillette say that we had to get to the third round to break even? does that mean the 6 home game minimum that 3 rds would be or does it mean the third round with three 7 game series and 9 home games?

They needed it to go 2 rounds - 4 home games were needed to break even. 3 of them have been played now and 2 more are a sure thing so we're in the black ink for sure :) If the series against T-Bay goes 6 games then we'll get 3 home games this series giving us some extra spending money. If we win the series, we can definitely look at adding a key free agent!

felixd 04-22-2004 05:43 AM

I wouldn't expect Gainey to sign any Murray type players. A name that wouldn't surprise me to see in Montreal would be John Madden. Just a thought.

All-Star 04-22-2004 06:22 AM

I like Ryder at RW, so we'll need to fill the LW position, and Hossa absolutely needs to play in the NHL next season or we risk losing him. I'd go with Hossa Ribeiro Ryder at the start of the season with Higgins on the 3rd or 4th lines, and, if Hossa can't keep up, I'd go with Higgins Ribeiro Ryder. I'd then move Hossa to the 3rd or 4th lines.

I say we should leave Perezhogin in the AHL one more season, or at least for the first half anyway, so he can help Kastitsyn adapt faster. If they can develop chemistry together it's that much better considering they both have first line upside.

Of course this is all my opinion, not Bob's. ;)

mcphee 04-22-2004 07:04 AM

The scenario we all want to see is for one of Hossa,Higgins,Perez,Kast/Pleks be so impressive in camp that CJ announdes that ---- has earned a job. 1 or 2 of the above could find himself on the ribeiro or Koivu line, depending on Kovalev. if Kovalev isn't signed, i would guess that someone else would be. I'm susprised that you mention Murray and Rolston. They didn't exactly impress with their intensity in the last series. If they had,we might not be where we are right now. I can't believe that BG didn't form a first hand opinion. The interesting question is Dagenais. Anyone of the above would probably play better than him, but over 80 games would they produce more ? I'd be surprised to see Dagenais start on that line next year, but they will consider his production when making decisions. I assume he will have a chat with CJ/BG at the end of the playoffs and they will explain that he will have to add a few things to his game to stick around, though at this point, you have to doubt it.

Guy LaFleur 04-22-2004 07:13 AM

Heh, funny story - I called the Kovalev trade a week before it happened. Well, not called it, per se, more of a "wow, that would be nice" type of thing.

I said that we could use a natural scorer and game breaker like Kovi, and lo and behold, Gainey got him. It was quite cool.

Hopefully we could get a big power forward. If Dallas goes on a selling spree like they seem aimed for, Guerin would be a very nice player to have. He'd be great to have with Ribs and Ryder; we'd have two excellent scoring lines. Then we could work on our other two to have defensive lines. Perreault centering the third with Sundstrom and Dowd on his wings. The on the fourth line we could have the grit line - Langdon-Begin-Ward.

Basically it'd look like this:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Guerin-Ribeiro-Ryder
Sundstrom-Perreault-Dowd
Langdon-Begin-Ward

Leave our prospects a bit more time to mature and bring up in the following year, where we could roll three offensive lines and a defensive line, which would match up against the top lines of other teams. I'd like to see Perezhogen and Kastsitsyn on the same line in Hamilton to make some chemistry. Have Plekanec center them. Then, in 05-06, bring them up to be our third line. Baptism by fire, as Bob would say.

Carbo N8 04-22-2004 08:15 AM

I also had considered Murray as a possible signing, but after watching him in the 1st round, I don't think so.

My lineup would go like this:

Zednick/Koivu/Kovalev
Hossa/Ribs/Ryder
Bulis/Dowd/Ward
Langdon/Begin/Laperriere
The 2 spare forwards would be Plekanic & Higgins or Pleks & one of Perrault or Sundstrom, if we can sign them for less than they make now. With injuries other young players will get their chance for some time with the big club. I think Hossa will make the step next year, just a gut feeling.

On defence, I would look at a guy like Keith Carney because of Souray's potential wrist injury. If the wrist has been re-injured, another surgery may be a long term problem( I hope not). If not a defense like this would look real good IMO:

Markov/Rivet
Souray/Komi
Carney/Brisebois
Bouillon

I think Hainsey becomes the center of a trade between now & October.

Mooch 04-22-2004 08:54 AM

Guerin is not a big fan of Canada. He mentioned a few years ago that he never wanted too play for any canadian team. I dont like the guy personally. I will admit though, he would be a h*ll of a pllayer on the second line. However i would rather see a Perezhogan, Hossa, or Higgins play on that line.

Habsaku 04-22-2004 10:14 AM

I wouldnt sign anyone other then Kovalev and maybe Dowd. I might look for grit but with Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Hossa, Kastitsyn, we have good depth and we should look at one stop on the 2nd and third/4th line for them. We really need a winger for Ribeiro and Ryder though.

Darz 04-22-2004 10:20 AM

First off, I agree with montreal, I really doubt we are going to have hockey (NHL) next year, and if we do, it will be a 28-35 game season or something goofy like that starting in January, so as far as free agents and stuff like that, things are going to be really mixed up.

IF there wasn't going to be a disruption next year, I would imagine outside of resigning current player, Gainey would not venture into the free agent market. This could chnage if Kovalev doesn't resign, but I'll assume he will.

I would assume the first line would remain Koivu, Kovalev, Zednik, and the second line would have Ribeiro and Ryder on it. The third member of that line would be the big question mark.
I would think management would want to see one of the youngster grab that spot. Higgins might be given a shot at it, as well as maybe Perezhogin, Kastitsyn, and maybe even Hossa. If management felt that none of those players could fill the role, I could see it being given to Dagenais, or a low priced free agent for at least the first month or so of the season.

417 04-22-2004 10:21 AM

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Higgins-Ward
Langdon-Plekanec-Dowd

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Brisebois
Hainsey-Rivet

Bouillon/Beauchemin

Out of all our prospects Plekanec IMO is the most NHL ready and he deserves a spot in the lineup next year, same with Higgins...I think though that this off season, we'll see a trade involving Plekanec, although he is a solid prospect, i get this feeling management doesn't feel they have room for him...maybe we'll end up getting that big 3rd line center we all wanted for Plekanec? but until then, i'll pencil him in next years lineup

Mooch 04-22-2004 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Higgins-Ward
Langdon-Plekanec-Dowd

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Brisebois
Hainsey-Rivet

Bouillon/Beauchemin

Out of all our prospects Plekanec IMO is the most NHL ready and he deserves a spot in the lineup next year, same with Higgins...I think though that this off season, we'll see a trade involving Plekanec, although he is a solid prospect, i get this feeling management doesn't feel they have room for him...maybe we'll end up getting that big 3rd line center we all wanted for Plekanec? but until then, i'll pencil him in next years lineup

That line up is great but where is our mini warrior, BEGIN. LOL!

I dont think Pleks will play next season, i just dont see room for him. Begin will probably be in his place. That or we dont sign Dowd, and place begin on the 4rd line wing so Pleks can play at the C. Or finally, we take Langdon right outa the line up, so Begin, Dowd, and Pleks can all play. Tuff choice.

417 04-22-2004 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
That line up is great but where is our mini warrior, BEGIN. LOL!

I dont think Pleks will play next season, i just dont see room for him. Begin will probably be in his place. That or we dont sign Dowd, and place begin on the 4rd line wing so Pleks can play at the C. Or finally, we take Langdon right outa the line up, so Begin, Dowd, and Pleks can all play. Tuff choice.

OOps my bad...then I don't know, i'll leave it up to BG and CJ this time :D

NewHabsEra* 04-22-2004 11:00 AM

Zednik/Koivu/Kovalev (no more to say)

Higgins/Ribeiro/Ryder (you add grit and speed to this line)

Hossa/Plekanec/Perezhogin (actual Bulldogs first line that work extremmely well)

Langdon/Begin/Ward

I honestly think that our line-up could look like this next season because IMO those 4 kids are ready to contribute for the big team! The third line could look risky to you but Hossa has some NHL experience and Plekanec is already a great and mature all around center that will acclimate easily to the next level IMO!

We would have 3 dangerous lines very fun to watch that wont hurt us defensively... Bulis does'nt figure longer with us IMO going by 3 offensively minded lines, could be traded..

The other way I see it is going with a checking line for another season:

Zednik/Koivu/Kovalev

Hossa/Ribeiro/Ryder

Bulis/Plekanec/Ward (Less dangerous offensively but better to shut down opponents)

Dwyer/Begin/Langdon (outch)

Habber 04-22-2004 11:13 AM

I don't think BG is going to sign a free agent to play in the top 6, and I hope he doesn't. IMO there should be a spot on the top 6 for a rookie next year. Whether it be Perez, Higgins, Hossa, Pleks or whoever, I don't really care but I would hope and expect that at least one of them will step it up and grab a spot.

Hopefully Kovy resigns and the Zed-Koivu-Kovy line can stay together and then have a Ryder-Ribs-Rookie 2nd line. Sundstrom should get resigned (if it’s cheap) and Juneau, Dackell, Perrault let go which gives us:

Zed-Koivu-Kovy
Ryder-Ribs-Rookie
Bulis-Begin-Ward
Sundstrom-Rookie(Higgins/Pleks?)-Langdon

Pretty damn solid if you ask me.

V-2 Schneider 04-22-2004 11:54 AM

We have a power forward in the system, name Marcel Hossa, and all he has to do is play with greater intensity, al al John LeClair.Be strong on his skates, be horse in front of the net, and shoot from everywhere.The Habs could upgrade at 2nd C, if the right deal comes along, and I for one would deal Ribeiro in a flash if the deal was right.A R shooting D man, a steady, physical force, would also be a need, such as Jason Smith.

It would be absurd to deal Hainsey, as we'd just have to draft another kid like him, and fast.Give up on smooth skating, intelligent, good first pass young D men so soon? Hey, it's a Habs fan tradition to dump the prospects so soon...geez

Natural Habs Fan 04-22-2004 12:36 PM

Just a comment on people who say they wouldn't want Murray based on his playoff performance. What about Kovalev? He had tough times in New York but look at him now. Murray is about 6'4" & 230 lbs and he can score. He would be great on our team. He wasn't that bad in the series, got a couple goals & the game winner in game 4.

Mooch 04-22-2004 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
OOps my bad...then I don't know, i'll leave it up to BG and CJ this time :D

Good idea :D

417 04-22-2004 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
Just a comment on people who say they wouldn't want Murray based on his playoff performance. What about Kovalev? He had tough times in New York but look at him now. Murray is about 6'4" & 230 lbs and he can score. He would be great on our team. He wasn't that bad in the series, got a couple goals & the game winner in game 4.

Murray is a horrible skater and is soft and just showes up when Joe Thornton shows up...no thanks!

Rscorpio 04-22-2004 01:11 PM

we need to add Laperriere for sure :yo:

Hab-Dawgs 04-22-2004 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbo N8
If not a defense like this would look real good IMO:

Markov/Rivet
Souray/Komi
Carney/Brisebois
Bouillon

I think Jack Todd of the Montreal Gazette said it best when he called Boullion a mini-tank.

Seriously, this guy's a keeper. You can see him working so hard. He's got super-human upper-body strength as you can see almost every game as he stops guys twice his size with a straight-arm to the chest.

He's a fast skater and he's got some good moves. I think he should try playing forward, Rivet-style.

He should be with us for a while.

Duster 04-22-2004 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
I don't think BG is going to sign a free agent to play in the top 6, and I hope he doesn't. IMO there should be a spot on the top 6 for a rookie next year. Whether it be Perez, Higgins, Hossa, Pleks or whoever, I don't really care but I would hope and expect that at least one of them will step it up and grab a spot.

Hopefully Kovy resigns and the Zed-Koivu-Kovy line can stay together and then have a Ryder-Ribs-Rookie 2nd line. Sundstrom should get resigned (if itís cheap) and Juneau, Dackell, Perrault let go which gives us:

Zed-Koivu-Kovy
Ryder-Ribs-Rookie
Bulis-Begin-Ward
Sundstrom-Rookie(Higgins/Pleks?)-Langdon

Pretty damn solid if you ask me.

I agree. With Hossa and Hainsey having to clear waivers next year, I would think Hossa, in particular, will be given every chance to succeed before an alternative is considered. BG did say he would build from within. I don't think that has changed.

It's debatable if the quality of the UFAs forwards available beyond Kovalev and perhaps Palffy are worth the big bucks anyway. Murray and Rolston did not impress me. I think Karya is Group V this year (not sure), is he worth it?

I haven't done the exact math, but I'm guessing that Kovalev at aprox. $6M per and the raises for Ryder, Ribs, Souray etc... would keep the payroll more or less the same. With the dollar exchange now a little better and playoff revenue, the team can afford to maintain the payroll as is IMO.

Plekanec didn't look out of place when he was called up. I could see him replacing Juneau and inserted gradually on the third or fourth line, depending on the opposition. I'd like to see Dowd back for another year. He's effective on faceoffs, good on the forecheck and positionally sound. He would be a good mentor to Plekanec. If he is, I see the third and fourth lines next year as:

Bulis-Dowd/Plekanec-Sunny
Langdon-Begin-Ward