HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The improvements since Laviolette took over (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=730049)

MsWoof 01-26-2010 03:27 PM

The improvements since Laviolette took over

Let's make a list.

When is the last time we got called for Too Many Men? Remember how many of those we used to get?

Skating, skating, skating. This is the biggie for me.

Add your improvements!

Terence Peterman 01-26-2010 03:30 PM

Focused aggression is probably at the top of my list.

CantSeeColors 01-26-2010 03:39 PM

Facial expressions.

McNasty 01-26-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woof (Post 23429150)
Let's make a list.

When is the last time we got called for Too Many Men? Remember how many of those we used to get?

Skating, skating, skating. This is the biggie for me.

Add your improvements!

The forecheck/the active defenseman in the offensive zone are the biggest things I have noticed. There also seem to be less offensive zone penalties but that might just be my imagination.

ShawnTHW 01-26-2010 03:40 PM

How bout that we are actually playing in a system where as Stevens would say, "**** it! Just go ape **** and see if you can score a goal."

UseYourAllusion 01-26-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantSeeColors (Post 23429375)
Facial expressions.

Though, we should not forget Carcillo's impact on this.

FlyHigh 01-26-2010 03:41 PM

High pressure hockey. Most of us have been saying for years that this team was ideally suited for it, so it's nice to see it working.

Bernie Parent 1974 01-26-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McNasty (Post 23429378)
The forecheck/the active defenseman in the offensive zone are the biggest things I have noticed. There also seem to be less offensive zone penalties but that might just be my imagination.

YES, they are EXCITING to watch now [even in Sun's loss]

Valhoun* 01-26-2010 03:49 PM

The team being in shape to play an uptempo system.

The team having a system.

curtisinpa 01-26-2010 03:57 PM

Less cakes

DrinkFightFlyers 01-26-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McNasty (Post 23429378)
The forecheck/the active defenseman in the offensive zone are the biggest things I have noticed.

This. And the winning.

Scoopyten 01-26-2010 04:08 PM

I am most happy that, on most nights, they are a difficult team to play against. I see far fewer games lost because of lack of effort

Jester 01-26-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woof (Post 23429150)

May have to take this up with JXC. Last I checked he was sarcastically quoting me commenting on our propensity for that penalty through the first half of last year.

As to what's happened under Laviolette...better forecheck system, with a real neutral zone defensive scheme behind it (left-wing lock, who has heard of that!), and a much improved gap control (in general) with better breakouts resulting...leading to less time stuck in our own zone.

CanadianFlyer88 01-26-2010 04:13 PM

It's still a little early to tell, since the team has had one long stretch of playing poorly and one long stretch of playing well, but...

- Sustained offensive zone pressure and the forecheck, while noticeably better at the beginning of the season under Stevens, have been consistently improving under Laviolette.

- As mentioned, the active defensemen has been a clear tactical difference between Stevens and Laviolette.

- Collapsing around the net to clear away loose pucks in the defensive zone has also been better since Lavi took over.

Lab Monkey 01-26-2010 04:13 PM

Carcillo's stache, its gotten much more thrilling

CS 01-26-2010 04:21 PM

We don't rely on "chaos" in the offensive zone (randomly trying to create chances starting from a central positioning by passing wherever whenever to score a goal). Instead we're now a reactionary offensive attack that works to free up one thing and reacts a specific way to free up more opportunities depending on how the defense reacts.

TheKingPin 01-26-2010 04:31 PM

Noticed all the things mentioned here. Also noticed that we always get a fwd back in our zone on the back check. Very important with the O system we have. I think it was improving under stevens but faceoffs have been a lot better.

Undisciplined penalties are waaaay down. Hartnell seems like a new player.

Also noticed more individual creativity from the skilled players like JVR and Giroux. Danny is starting to show what he can do also just needs that last push.

Cleary84 01-26-2010 04:48 PM

Head coach that constantly yells, "let''s ****ing go!"

Valhoun* 01-26-2010 04:57 PM

The newspaper delivered to the coach's office often now gets its crossword puzzle completed rather than having the Jumble completed in some kind of personal retard language.

dbr2 01-26-2010 05:11 PM

We don't play pond hockey anymore.

We have a game plan and stick to it.

Lavi will call a timeout when he sees his sink shipping.

mm6492 01-26-2010 05:16 PM

Timeouts are actually used when they need to be, not with 2 minutes left every game, regardless of the score.

fire bettman 01-26-2010 05:18 PM

My absolute favorite thing is that when the team is slacking and showing no effort, he let's them know it. And when he calls a time out for that reason the team actually pays attention to him, unlike Stevens who might as well have been talking to himself because all the players are staring in the opposite direction from him.

I also like how he doesn't pick on certain players or favor certain players like Stevens did (ex: Downie, Hartnell, Kukkonen). It seems like under Laviolette, if you skate your ass off and give 100% every night he's gonna stand behind you completely.

Oh, and.... we actually have a system now.

This team is just 110% better off with Laviolette behind the bench.

RoDu 01-26-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhoun (Post 23430807)
The newspaper delivered to the coach's office often now gets its crossword puzzle completed rather than having the Jumble completed in some kind of personal retard language.

http://r.xtarsia.net/roph/img/random/1149023710097.jpg

UseYourAllusion 01-26-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fire bettman (Post 23431158)
My absolute favorite thing is that when the team is slacking and showing no effort, he let's them know it. And when he calls a time out for that reason the team actually pays attention to him, unlike Stevens who might as well have been talking to himself because all the players are staring in the opposite direction from him.

I also like how he doesn't pick on certain players or favor certain players like Stevens did (ex: Downie, Hartnell, Kukkonen). It seems like under Laviolette, if you skate your ass off and give 100% every night he's gonna stand behind you completely.

Oh, and.... we actually have a system now.

This team is just 110% better off with Laviolette behind the bench.

Hard to say he doesn't play favorites considering the short time he's been here. Not saying it will be as bad as some say Stevens was, but all coaches play favorites.

thevoice 01-26-2010 05:24 PM

Leadership. My appreciation for good coaching has been reborn. The results are night and day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhoun (Post 23245522)
Conditioning, discipline, and putting forth 60 minutes of solid effort are problems with many teams every single season. As we see constantly with the NFL and NBA, "professional" is often merely an economic distinction with no other bearing in terms of discipline or professionalism.

Sure, there has been a lack of heart at times over the last several years. But if you don't think that the best coaches/GMs throughout the league don't understand that there is a constant battle to keep conditioning, discipline, and effort at 100%, then I guess you just don't pay attention to teams around the league.

As soon as the special teams got cold, all of the issues with Stevens' system were exposed to even those trying to be purposefully blind to them. Stevens let the team get weak and undisciplined. They didn't magically get heart when Laviolette arrived. They magically got held accountable by a discipline oriented coach. And it took a long damn time. Even though many of us said this right after the firing, in hindsight it is absolutely clear that Stevens should have been fired before training camp. If that happens the Flyers are in a much better position right now.

It's about leadership. It doesn't matter if its professional athletes, professional soldiers, or professional businessmen. Unguided talent will never reach its potential. And this team was lacking guidance from a number of places, not just coach, for a long time.