HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Speculation: Is coaching the problem? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=730599)

Habsfan18 01-27-2010 08:37 PM

Is coaching the problem?
 
I'm not one to overreact, but I'm now 100% positive I want Martin gone. Will it happen? I doubt it, because we're only 50something games in and he's on a multi-year contract. But seriously, we can't create ANYTHING offensively. We look completely lost out there..it's embarrassing. Losing is one thing, but to lose in boring games where we show absolutely NO passion is ****ing frustrating as hell. We look lifeless out there. I think a coaching change would wake this team up.

And what about this "puck possession" style that we're supposed to play?

I really don't think Martin is the right man for the job.

Now bash away..

InglewoodJack 01-27-2010 08:38 PM

A problem, not the problem. Gainey did it wrong. He picked the coach then the players. He should of either gotten players that are suited to Martin, or gotten a coach suited to the players.

Andrighetto Fabolous 01-27-2010 08:39 PM

He was one of the main things I was looking forward to this season, finally an experienced coach who could help our young guys mature.

**** was I ever wrong, I would honestly rather have Carbonneau back...

HabsDood 01-27-2010 08:41 PM

There's something in this room that needs taking care of..

They won't play for Price.. Seemingly

Rgolt 01-27-2010 08:42 PM

yes he is the problem
only thing is, he has a multi year contract and theres absolutely no chance he gets fired during his 1st season
sucks i no

Sebaldian 01-27-2010 08:43 PM

If you're not a part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
Or something.

TheHMan 01-27-2010 08:43 PM

Martin hasn't done much in post-lockout hockey. I don't think he's the right coach for the Canadiens.

That said though, the mix of players they have is just not right. Cammelleri and Gionta were good pickups. Gomez and Spacek were not. To be honest, if the Habs are going to start scoring with more consistency, they need to bring in a couple Top 6 forwards with a bit of grit and the ability to work the boards extremely well.

Just my 2 cents...

Chomsky 01-27-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsDood (Post 23458109)
There's something in this room that needs taking care of..

They won't play for Price.. Seemingly

What the **** are you babbling about? Did they play for Halak last night? No.

This is a ******** theory.

scottyG 01-27-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsDood (Post 23458109)
There's something in this room that needs taking care of..

They won't play for Price.. Seemingly

Ya they played so hard for Halak yesterday...

Chili 01-27-2010 08:45 PM

I like Jacques Martin...For me one problem is the passive strategy. Would be interesting to see them play more agressive in the offensive zone.

But the depth on the lower lines is non existant.

The d in general is slow and doesn't create alot of offense.

The goaltending has probably masked some of the real problems.

The effort the last two games is troubling.

LeMAD 01-27-2010 08:47 PM

Coaching is way overrated.

The team doesn't have enough talent.

Coldplay 01-27-2010 08:48 PM

Guy Boucher.

Etienne 01-27-2010 08:48 PM

Waaaaaaay too early to say.

Summer 07: Boston hires Claude Julien
2007-2008: Boston is inconsistent all year long, squeak into the 8th place and get beaten by the Habs
2008-2009: With an almost identical team, Boston rips the East apart, finishing 1 point behind league-leaders Sharks. Julien wins Jack Adams.

People have to chill the **** out. 50 games is not enough to make a team gel or see the rewards of a better work ethic/training program.

Am I completely satisfied with Martin? No. I wish he'd learn about forechecking but it's just to early to judge his work.

BlancHabs 01-27-2010 08:49 PM

Gainey hired a defensive coach for an offensive team. It doesn't make sense. Even though he hired Martin before most of the signings, he could have at least got players suited for the style.
I also wish Martin had more character behind the bench, he has to personality and shows absolutely no emotion (just like Gainey).

MathMan 01-27-2010 08:56 PM

Yes. The coach is absolutely a big part of the problem. This is a badly underachieving team and the blame has to be laid squarely at his feet.

Martin came here carrying a reputation for strong 5-on-5 play, efficient transition based on quick short passes, defensive excellence, and excellent team preparation, and said he would implement a puck possession system.

I feel like there ought to be some consumer board I should be able to file a complaint for outright fraudulent advertising. We've pretty much been treated to the complete opposite of the above.

This team has actually gotten worse as the year's gone on, but the goaltending has been better and papered over the deficiencies. They were better before Martin got a chance to instill his system. And they're going to get worse and worse.

Saddest part? Those who thinks he needs a chance are going to get their wish, because for a variety of reasons (contract, short tenure, need for stability) he's going to get at least this season and next before replacing him is considered. Expect the Habs to wallow in mediocrity for at least this long. I think they may even get worse as players start giving up.

Kriss E 01-27-2010 08:57 PM

No Martin is not the problem. Look at the 3rd and 4th line, tell me what they bring to this team. The answer to that question is the problem.

We could have a completely different system, it wouldn't change much. Our defense wouldn't be faster and, our 3rd/4th line still just as useless and small.

Martin is not the problem. It's easy to hate him now because we're not winning and to make matters worse our team is boring.

The 3 favorite excuses in Mtl..the Coach, the GM and the Goalies.

Kriss E 01-27-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habs11 (Post 23458307)
Gainey hired a defensive coach for an offensive team. It doesn't make sense. Even though he hired Martin before most of the signings, he could have at least got players suited for the style.
I also wish Martin had more character behind the bench, he has to personality and shows absolutely no emotion (just like Gainey).

Funny because the offensive players are doing just fine.

Habs10Habs 01-27-2010 08:59 PM

Of course the coach is part of the problem when things go bad. Just like he's part of the solution when things are going well.

Personally I think we have too many players that really need to look in the mirror.

MathMan 01-27-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 23458560)
Funny because the offensive players are doing just fine.

Montreal is one of the lowest-scoring teams in the league, and the very worst 5-on-5 scoring team in the NHL.

The offensive players are doing all right on the PP, but the system stifles five-on-five offense. (Except Cammy, who accounts for about a quarter of the Habs' 5-on-5 goals).

couz 01-27-2010 09:01 PM

The Gm is the problem.

Gainey has no vision, he is not good at building hockey teams.

Just look at how many similar players we have.

Habsfan18 01-27-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 23458585)
Personally I think we have too many players that really need to look in the mirror.

This I think we all can agree with.

Kirk Muller 01-27-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 23458521)
No Martin is not the problem. Look at the 3rd and 4th line, tell me what they bring to this team. The answer to that question is the problem.

We could have a completely different system, it wouldn't change much. Our defense wouldn't be faster and, our 3rd/4th line still just as useless and small.

Martin is not the problem. It's easy to hate him now because we're not winning and to make matters worse our team is boring.

The 3 favorite excuses in Mtl..the Coach, the GM and the Goalies.

so you are saying player personnel is the problem. And whose in charge of that?

Kyosuke 01-27-2010 09:02 PM

I am sick and tired of this ****!!! I don't want to see any trades, call-ups or whatever until Martin is shipped the **** out!!! :rant:

Kingbobert 01-27-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etienne (Post 23458297)
Waaaaaaay too early to say.

Summer 07: Boston hires Claude Julien
2007-2008: Boston is inconsistent all year long, squeak into the 8th place and get beaten by the Habs
2008-2009: With an almost identical team, Boston rips the East apart, finishing 1 point behind league-leaders Sharks. Julien wins Jack Adams.

People have to chill the **** out. 50 games is not enough to make a team gel or see the rewards of a better work ethic/training program.

Am I completely satisfied with Martin? No. I wish he'd learn about forechecking but it's just to early to judge his work.

where are the bruins now with a team Julien knows alot better than last year?
06-07 we miss playoffs by a point
07-08 we head into playoffs first and beat the bruins that squeaked in
08-09 roles reversed with the bruins
09-10 slowly but surely playing our way out of the playoffs

Kyosuke 01-27-2010 09:05 PM

Potential new head coaches??
 
Right now, and as it has been since the start of the season.. ANYBODY BUT MARTIN! GTFO :rant:

Honorable mentions:
Guy Boucher
Pierre McGuire


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.