HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Phaneuf for Lecavalier (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=731105)

Rooooooooooxxxanne* 01-28-2010 11:23 PM

Phaneuf for Lecavalier

Yes I am aware that Vinny has a NMC, but assuming he'd be willing to waive it to go to Calgary, would this be a deal that could satisfy both teams?

Thoughts?

HighLifeMan 01-28-2010 11:25 PM

No. :laugh:

I Hate Chris Butler 01-28-2010 11:25 PM

It leaves a pretty big hole on the Flames defense and pretty much screws the already bad PP.

Son of a Dawson 01-28-2010 11:37 PM

Change of scenery could potentially benefit both players. But I believe Dion has yet to hit his ceiling, whereas Vinny seems to be on the decline. No go.

The Overseer* 01-28-2010 11:54 PM

Tampa wouldn't do it. If they unload Vinny, it's to get rid of salary. Why would they take a similar contract and a worse player in return?

Miller Time 01-29-2010 12:01 AM

not a bad line of thinking...

could actually work for both teams, though I think works better with extra pieces added:

to TBL:
Phaneuf
Jokinen

to Cgy:
Lecavalier
Foster

Iginla gets his centre to play with, and someone else to carry the offensive burden.
Foster helps fill the hole of losing Phaneuf, at least short term.

Phaneuf rounds out Tampa's top four (Ohlund, Meszaros, Hedman, Phaneuf) into one of the best young d-corps in the league, Jokinen gives them a short term replacement to lecavalier that keeps them in the playoff race... if the fit is good, he can re-sign in the offseason (for much less than Vinnie) giving them a still solid 1-2 punch down the middle (Stamkos-Jokinen).
Perhaps most importantly, Phaneuf, while only 1M$ less of a cap hit, is due 4M$ less per season over the next 4 years, making it a much more appealing contract given the ownership issues/team sale going on. Lecavalier is a better player, 4M$ is a lot of money, and Phaneuf gives them a solid piece to continue building their team.

Butchered 01-29-2010 12:07 AM

No no and No.

sonny side up 01-29-2010 12:09 AM

Foster isn't going anywhere.. I want to see what the his streak is for shattering glass in games.. Everytime he takes a shot and he hits glass dead on, BOOM, broken.. Would be awesome if hes with the team next year and everygame he cracks glass.. atleast at home

CSampson 01-29-2010 12:10 AM

Looking from a Tampa POV I'm intrigued to say the least.

IdealisticSniper 01-29-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of a Dawson (Post 23482250)
Change of scenery could potentially benefit both players. But I believe Dion has yet to hit his ceiling, whereas Vinny seems to be on the decline. No go.

Im absolutely sick this comment. Vinny is on the decline yet he is on pace for 82-85 points. Which is about 10-15 points MORE than his career average.

And he is definitely getting his scoring touch and groove back in the last month or so.

And this trade is a joke. No way the Lightning do that.

Butchered 01-29-2010 12:27 AM

And let me follow up my previous post by saying my problem isn't the deal, it's that if the team deals off Lecavalier, that's going to be real hard to sell to those left in a quickly fading fanbase.

I think the value is there. I wouldn't do Lecavalier for Phaneuf straight across though, leaves too big of a hole in the top 6. The second deal I would do in a second but Jokinen>Foster so there would need to be a balance like in a pick or something. I know Calgary has Irving but I would do something like:

Phaneuf
Jokinen

for

Lecavalier
Foster
Riku Helenius/Mitch Fadden/Kevin Quick (whatever position Calgary would prize the most).

I would also rather have someone locked into a contract. I'd hate to have a large piece in the deal that takes Lecavalier out of Tampa the next year.

Lunatik* 01-29-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murderworks (Post 23483074)
And let me follow up my previous post by saying my problem isn't the deal, it's that if the team deals off Lecavalier, that's going to be real hard to sell to those left in a quickly fading fanbase.

I think the value is there. I wouldn't do Lecavalier for Phaneuf straight across though, leaves too big of a hole in the top 6. The second deal I would do in a second but Jokinen>Foster so there would need to be a balance like in a pick or something. I know Calgary has Irving but I would do something like:

Phaneuf
Jokinen

for

Lecavalier
Foster
Riku Helenius/Mitch Fadden/Kevin Quick (whatever position Calgary would prize the most).

I would also rather have someone locked into a contract. I'd hate to have a large piece in the deal that takes Lecavalier out of Tampa the next year.

What if you took Jokinen out and added Langkow? He is signed for a couple more years, is almost always good for 20g/50pts... i think you could also then remove the prospect on Tampa's side

HockeyThoughts 01-29-2010 12:59 AM

Thats actually not a bad idea. Offensively Calgary's blueline would suffer but adding another offensive threat is pretty much a dire need. Lecavalier centering Iggy on the first line with Jokinen manning his own line on the 2nd would be pretty potent. Regher and Bouwmeester would remain an amazing force on the blueline as well.

Salaries are about even, 1M~ difference, you can throw in a player on CGY's side and throw back a pick from the Tampa side.

On this note, I think it has become painfully clear Dion Phaneuf is in need for a change of scenery. He has become utterly ineffective over the past 2 seasons, scoring a combined 20G-68pts over the past 134 games. This following a 82 game season which saw him net 17G-60pts in the one season! Phaneuf is an offensive defenseman first, and everything else second. If he's not scoring, or improving the PP hes a relatively ineffective player on the team. Therefore they either need to get someone on his pairing to spark him, or try something new with him because what their doing right now is not working.

Butchered 01-29-2010 01:00 AM

What's he making? Without seeing the numbers I think I'd be ok with that.

Langkow seems like (and I don't follow him directly so correct me if I'm wrong) a guy that would need to play with big players to produce his numbers which Tampa has, even if Lecavalier were gone.

It would worry me a bit to not get a top line foward back but you have to give to get and I'm sure we could fill in via another trade or during the offseason from the FA pool.

Calgary downgrades at defense and improves at forward, Tampa downgrades at forward and improves on the defensive end.

JohnHodgson 01-29-2010 01:06 AM

Flames are just going back to square one with this trade, which is not a bad idea.

They're risking a ton though. Lecavalier has an awful contract.

They coulda just kept Cammalleri and signed for Bouwmeester instead of going for Jokinen... :dunno:

Rooooooooooxxxanne* 01-29-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C For Choke (Post 23482040)
It leaves a pretty big hole on the Flames defense and pretty much screws the already bad PP.

Trading Phaneuf leaves a hole on defense when there is Jay-Bo and Regehr there?

Have you seen the hole in the #1 center position?

Rooooooooooxxxanne* 01-29-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murderworks (Post 23483455)
What's he making? Without seeing the numbers I think I'd be ok with that.

Langkow seems like (and I don't follow him directly so correct me if I'm wrong) a guy that would need to play with big players to produce his numbers which Tampa has, even if Lecavalier were gone.

It would worry me a bit to not get a top line foward back but you have to give to get and I'm sure we could fill in via another trade or during the offseason from the FA pool.

Calgary downgrades at defense and improves at forward, Tampa downgrades at forward and improves on the defensive end.

I think Calgary would be all for something like

Langkow
Phaneuf

for

Lecavalier
Foster

Langkow would be a good 2nd line center for the lightning, and Stamkos I think it's fair to say he's ready to be the undisputed #1 center on that team.

I Hate Chris Butler 01-29-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooooooooooxxxanne (Post 23485616)
Trading Phaneuf leaves a hole on defense when there is Jay-Bo and Regehr there?

Have you seen the hole in the #1 center position?

Regehr has been terrible this season and Bouwmeester doesn't provide anywhere near the offense Phaneuf does.

I'd rather not trade the guy who, imo, Sutter is going to build the Flames around in the future.

CGYPUKSUX 01-29-2010 09:19 AM

I doubt Lecavalier waives his NMC to go to Calgary. Someplace in the southern United States, possibly, but I doubt be heads north of the US winter golf belt.

dubey 01-29-2010 09:20 AM

Tampa is going to try and cut salary before the team is sold again. They aren't going to take Phaneuf's contract.

Halifaxhab* 01-29-2010 09:20 AM

Hey guys, come on now! Haven't you heard that the Lightning are for sale. You know this means Vinny is going to Montreal...AGAIN!
:sarcasm:
:laugh:
:shakehead

Rooooooooooxxxanne* 01-29-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C For Choke (Post 23485659)
Regehr has been terrible this season and Bouwmeester doesn't provide anywhere near the offense Phaneuf does.

I'd rather not trade the guy who, imo, Sutter is going to build the Flames around in the future.

Have you watched the flames at all this season?

Phaneuf has what, 3 more points than Jay-Bo? I wouldn't say thats exactly not "anywhere near" Phaneuf.

Regehr is still one of the best shut-down d-men in the league, and out of the 3 Phaneuf is the one who is the biggest liability on D.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* 01-29-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Van Whalen (Post 23485690)
I doubt Lecavalier waives his NMC to go to Calgary. Someplace in the southern United States, possibly, but I doubt be heads north of the US winter golf belt.

Did you read the OP?

I Hate Chris Butler 01-29-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooooooooooxxxanne (Post 23485707)
Have you watched the flames at all this season?

Phaneuf has what, 3 more points than Jay-Bo? I wouldn't say thats exactly not "anywhere near" Phaneuf.

Regehr is still one of the best shut-down d-men in the league, and out of the 3 Phaneuf is the one who is the biggest liability on D.

Phaneuf's having an off year (as is the rest of the team [you'd know this if you actually watched the Flames]).

Phaneuf at his best is going to outscore Bouwmeester by 20-25 points. Phaneuf had 47 points while he had an injured shoulder, injured ribs, and for a short time a concussion. That's 1 higher than Bouwmeester's career best.

Bouwmeester doesn't provide anywhere near the offense Phaneuf does.

CGYPUKSUX 01-29-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooooooooooxxxanne (Post 23485725)
Did you read the OP?

Yeah, I read it, and I'm telling you he won't waive it to go to Calgary. /thread