HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: Kovalchuk to Sharks? (MOD EDIT: to NJ w/Salmela for Oduya, Cormier, Bergfors, 1st) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=734282)

allworldcaucasn* 02-04-2010 02:12 PM

Kovalchuk to Sharks? (MOD EDIT: to NJ w/Salmela for Oduya, Cormier, Bergfors, 1st)

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The...try/view/54436

If you look at what DW responded with, it's exactly what he said before aquiring Heatley. Could someone like Seto be the centerpiece? Petrecki? Clowe?

Flicktron 02-04-2010 02:15 PM

It'd be more than Seto and Petrecki. Probably two NHLers and one prospect.

LadyStanley 02-04-2010 02:19 PM

See also general rumor thread that posted this link hours ago and the responses.

Karl with a C 02-04-2010 02:20 PM

Clowe, Mitchell, Shelley and Huskins would allow him to fit under the cap with $1,000,000 in cap space by my ****** calculations, but it is

NOT

GOING

TO HAPPEN

I want nothing more than Kovalchuk on this team. He's one of my favorite players in the entire league. He's a warrior and a beast, and instantly makes us the SC favorites, but it's just not going to happen. I do think he'll be in the division though (LA) by the deadline.

Gilligans Island 02-04-2010 02:20 PM

holy smokes, my head will explode if we get kovy.

ok - just to toss it out there...

clowe, mitchell, petrecki

maybe seto instead of mitchell but i wouldn't do that. i wouldn't even trade for kovy. if we're gonna high roll it, get a solid top 4 dman.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw 02-04-2010 02:32 PM

Can't see this happening in this thing called reality we have.

Ninja Hertl 02-04-2010 02:34 PM

I could see DW heavily pursuing Kovy just to drive the price up for the other contenders (Chicago, Detroit, LA, etc).

USF Shark 02-04-2010 02:42 PM

Doug Wilson would have to be the most stupid person in the world to trade for him.

HOOCH2173 02-04-2010 02:43 PM

Didn't Jersey have their hand in this too?

xMARCStheSPOT 02-04-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkohol (Post 23643242)
I could see DW heavily pursuing Kovy just to drive the price up for the other contenders (Chicago, Detroit, LA, etc).

:nod: I do as well.

one2gamble 02-04-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkohol (Post 23643242)

bingo

and if Atlanta bites then you might take it.

Spacemania 02-04-2010 02:44 PM

whats the cap space that we have at present vs the cap space he'd take?

allworldcaucasn* 02-04-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackholesun (Post 23643196)
Can't see this happening in this thing called reality we have.

There were dozens of replies like this when Heatley was rumored...

LadyStanley 02-04-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacemania (Post 23643482)

There's just a shade over $500k in cap space available.

allworldcaucasn* 02-04-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacemania (Post 23643482)

Not sure exactly, but someone mentioned Clowe, Murray, top prospect would get it done cap wise.

LadyStanley 02-04-2010 02:51 PM

from Spectors Hockey:
Quote:

USA TODAY'S Kevin Allen reported via Twitter there are unnamed "surprise teams" in the mix for Kovalchuk and the Thrashers will get a better return than that they got for Marian Hossa two years ago.
and
Quote:

TSN.CA: Bob McKenzie reports Kovalchuk at this point remains a rental player as Thrashers management still refuse to allow teams permission to talk contract with him so as not to transfer power into the hands of the Kovalchuk camp. GM Don Waddell has told teams he won't make this a "future considerations" trade as he wants to put bona fide NHL players in the lineup to keep their playoff hopes alive this season.

one2gamble 02-04-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP (Post 23643618)
Not sure exactly, but someone mentioned Clowe, Murray, top prospect would get it done cap wise.

Murray would be a tough one to swallow but maybe thats where the canes trade comes in.

Clowe
Murray
Mitchell
Ferrerio

CrazedZooChimp 02-04-2010 02:55 PM

I'd do Heatley for Kovy. That's about it. If DW ruins the depth of this team even more, he should be canned.

RammsteinGT 02-04-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp (Post 23643785)
I'd do Heatley for Kovy. That's about it. If DW ruins the depth of this team even more, he should be canned.

Haha, like DW is trading Heater back to Atlanta. And losing his 4 or 5 (or whatever) years left on his deal for a marginal RENTAL upgrade (Let's not kid ourselves, I think he's KHL bound).

I agree that Kovy is better, and I agree that our pool shouldn't be depleted further for a forward. That said...

Kovy won't be a Shark. If he is, I'll eat my hat.

renodave 02-04-2010 03:04 PM

Kovy to the Sharks will never happen. I doubt that the Thrashers are going to get anything substantial for him, given that he most likely will end up in Russia next year. No one is going to pay him anywhere near $10m+/yr with a long term deal. His offensive numbers are inflated playing on a mediocre team in a crappy division. If he plays in the west, his production would drop by 20% to 30%.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw 02-04-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP (Post 23643522)
There were dozens of replies like this when Heatley was rumored...

That's true. But getting Kovalchuk just seems even more absurd than getting Heatley was. Way more. I'll eat my hat too if it happens

one2gamble 02-04-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackholesun (Post 23644073)
That's true. But getting Kovalchuk just seems even more absurd than getting Heatley was. Way more. I'll eat my hat too if it happens

especially since the Sharks dont have the cap space to do it. IF the heater deal didnt happen I could see it but its a tough one to believe unless he has a man crush on nabby.

CrazedZooChimp 02-04-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RammsteinGT (Post 23643897)
Haha, like DW is trading Heater back to Atlanta. And losing his 4 or 5 (or whatever) years left on his deal for a marginal RENTAL upgrade (Let's not kid ourselves, I think he's KHL bound).

I agree that Kovy is better, and I agree that our pool shouldn't be depleted further for a forward. That said...

Kovy won't be a Shark. If he is, I'll eat my hat.

Heh, yeah, I was joking. Getting Kovy pretty much doesn't make sense to me. Of course, I thought getting Heatley made no sense, so maybe we'll all be eating hats.

deekortiz3 02-04-2010 03:15 PM

If it were Mitchell and Clowe going we would look something like this...

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Kovalchuk-Pavelski-Seto
McGinn-Malhotra-Ortmeyer
Shelley/McLaren-Nichol-Staubitz

Never gonna happen but that would be pretty sweet.

hockeyball 02-04-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deekortiz3 (Post 23644305)
If it were Mitchell and Clowe going we would look something like this...

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Kovalchuk-Pavelski-Seto
McGinn-Malhotra-Ortmeyer
Shelley/McLaren-Nichol-Staubitz

Never gonna happen but that would be pretty sweet.

Our 2nd line would rank up there as one of the best 1st lines lol.