HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Tootoo re-signed 2 yrs, $2.5 million (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=734733)

Seth Lake 02-05-2010 06:22 AM

Tootoo re-signed 2 yrs, $2.5 million

Quote:

The Predators appear to be making progress toward re-signing another one of their potential unrestricted free agents.

Craig Oster, the agent for forward Jordin Tootoo, has been in Nashville for the past couple of days and said Thursday he'd had productive talks with Predators General Manager David Poile.

"I think we're zeroing in on something,'' Oster said. "I'm not saying anything is imminent, but we continue to have good positive discussions and hopefully we can get to a conclusion in the near future.''
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...+talks+heat+up

Sounds like they are working towards a deal and that both sides are interested in each other. Poile really working aggressively to arrange extensions with his upcoming free agents before the Olympic break to know how to proceed at the deadline.

I'd bet that Poile is essentially telling the players and their agents that he is interested in working out an extension with them, but that there are no guarantees if we get to the break and your not signed...you might just wind up traded...

ZombPred 02-05-2010 06:53 AM

I'd have no problem with this. Think it's a great idea!

Enoch 02-05-2010 06:55 AM

Smart move. I think this may be the writing on the wall for Hamhuis. Considering the nasty negotiations we had with him in the past, and considering that he started poorly post-contract, gave us two very good years, and then turned in an absolutely horrible year thus far.....I would suspect he is gone. Either we trade him or he walks. I just don't see us resigning him.

barrytrotzsneck 02-05-2010 08:16 AM

I'm all for keeping him, but he's already overpaid by about 250K. You'd have to think he's going to ask for\get a raise.

On a team that has to count every dollar and harvests offense inconsistently, does it make fiduciary sense to spend 1.5-2 million per year on someone that might score 10 goals, if you're lucky?

predfan24 02-05-2010 09:19 AM

In reality i doubt he deserves a raise. However it's just natural to believe he might get a small raise. Let's just hope it really is SMALL.

Dave is a killer 02-05-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 23672365)
I'm all for keeping him, but he's already overpaid by about 250K. You'd have to think he's going to ask for\get a raise.

On a team that has to count every dollar and harvests offense inconsistently, does it make fiduciary sense to spend 1.5-2 million per year on someone that might score 10 goals, if you're lucky?

I'm with you ... he's getting overpaid I would imagine because he sells shirts/tickets, which is a shame

Seth Lake 02-05-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 23672365)

Agreed. If Tootoo is re-signed, I'm going to be really interested to see the numbers. While he was rounding into having a career year earlier this season, he was subsequently injured and that derailed his momentum. Last night he played a lot better and generated some quality scoring chances, but the question is...how much can we pay him on potential, rather than actual on-ice production???

I doubt Tootoo's fan popularity is playing more than a passing notion in these discussions. Poile is not going to pay Tootoo for marketing purposes. But with his raises and the escalation of his salary during his RFA years (10% raise minimum each contract), his salary has now gotten close to $1 million per season and I just don't see how Poile could give him any type of large raise...

IMO, this is one of Poile's most difficult decisions in terms of our own free agents...

utmfisher19 02-05-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 23673596)
I doubt Tootoo's fan popularity is playing more than a passing notion in these discussions. Poile is not going to pay Tootoo for marketing purposes.

I disagree. Some sports fans might come to watch the Predators win, but MOST come to games to be entertained. I think his popularity will play a GIGANTIC role in his re-signing.

worstfaceoffmanever 02-05-2010 09:54 AM

So what exactly is this article tell us? That we're talking to Tootoo but may or may not be anywhere near an extension? We could have figured that out on our own, I would think.

I'm not opposed to re-signing Tootoo, but it really depends on the numbers. If he makes north of $1.5M, we got ripped off.

BigFatCat999 02-05-2010 10:05 AM

My main concern is not his contract. Numbers wise it's better to overpay for a guy in the lower tax brackets than a 4.5 million contract. It's the roster spot he's taking. The only open forward spots were Tootoo and Belak. If Tootoo is re-signed then there really is only one open roster spot. O'Reilly is on a one way and I'm gambling he's gone at the trade deadline.

If Tootoo is signed then both Hamhuis and O'Reilly are gone. Who else would you consider gone?

Basher 02-05-2010 10:46 AM

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/6512/...leFacePalm.jpg

thejlb* 02-05-2010 11:11 AM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo

jstreet 02-05-2010 12:27 PM

I hope we keep him, just cheap

jstreet 02-05-2010 12:38 PM

Toots Extended

2 years, 1.15 mil, then 1.35 mil

via section303 twitter update

Seth Lake 02-05-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstreet (Post 23677182)

Yup, Glennon confirming it too...not up on the Predators site yet though...guessing afternoon press conference. Ellis sent his congrats on Twitter already...

Quote:

The Predators have signed forward Jordin Tootoo, who could have become an unrestricted free agent this summer, a two-year contract extension.

He will earn $1.15 million for 2010-11 and $1.35 million for 2011-12.
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...+Tootoo+s+deal

BigFatCat999 02-05-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstreet (Post 23677182)

Per Capgeek this puts the Preds at about 37 million for 15 players. Wilson makes it 39 million for 16 players. 2 goalies, 3 defenders and 1 forward left to sign.

BigFatCat999 02-05-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 23677399)
Yup, Glennon confirming it too...not up on the Predators site yet though...guessing afternoon press conference. Ellis sent his congrats on Twitter already...

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...+Tootoo+s+deal

God I need to sign up for twitter. Part of me would feel filthy though....

thejlb* 02-05-2010 01:16 PM

My problem with this is he hasn't been playing his style of hockey for a while, Pretty sure I heard him talking about that he was asked to tone it down a bit and try to contribute with points. I want to like Tootoo just can't get over the fact he's keeping players in Milwaukee. I get he's a fan favorite and all and brings people to the game so please don't start flaming me for my opinion.

dulzhok 02-05-2010 01:19 PM

Probably would have gotten slightly more on the open market. Remember, he was going to be UFA. I'm sure a lot teams would've been more than willing to give him 1.25m/yr. And probably a couple that would've given him slightly more.

dulzhok 02-05-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejlb (Post 23678023)
My problem with this is he hasn't been playing his style of hockey for a while, Pretty sure I heard him talking about that he was asked to tone it down a bit and try to contribute with points. I want to like Tootoo just can't get over the fact he's keeping players in Milwaukee. I get he's a fan favorite and all and brings people to the game so please don't start flaming me for my opinion.

He's primarily playing on the 4th line. I don't think he's taking anyone's opportunity. First off, our players in Milwaukee aren't that good, except Wilson. And he doesn't need to be buried on the 4th line in the NHL. Spaling could see some time, but his spot to take is Smithson's.

PredsChik 02-05-2010 01:27 PM

Speaking of Smithson, isn't he a UFA this year? Does he stay too?

Seth Lake 02-05-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsChik20 (Post 23678286)

No, Smithson has another year left at $762,500...

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=19

BigFatCat999 02-05-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsChik20 (Post 23678286)

Smithson still has one more year on his contract.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=19

EDIT: Geez SLake, why do you have to be so fast? LOL!

dulzhok 02-05-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 23674042)
My main concern is not his contract. Numbers wise it's better to overpay for a guy in the lower tax brackets than a 4.5 million contract. It's the roster spot he's taking. The only open forward spots were Tootoo and Belak. If Tootoo is re-signed then there really is only one open roster spot. O'Reilly is on a one way and I'm gambling he's gone at the trade deadline.

If Tootoo is signed then both Hamhuis and O'Reilly are gone. Who else would you consider gone?

I'm not concerned about our 3rd-4th line.

Hopefully Poile can find away to peddle off one of players in the higher tax bracet (Sullivan, Legwand, Dumont). I would've said Erat a few months ago, but he's finially getting it and has been a game breaker.

Our top two lines is where we need to make improvements. Wilson might eventually be part of the answer. Maybe Radulov comes back. Or maybe Poile can find it in him to make a meaningful trade or signing for our top 2 lines. But for that to happen, we've got to move the mediocrity.

BigFatCat999 02-05-2010 01:42 PM

Arnott and Dumont have NTC's. Sully could be moved. Maybe