HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Sun: Jokinen on Phaneuf (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=734809)

HocusPocus 02-05-2010 11:14 AM

Jokinen on Phaneuf

Coming from a guy recently shipped out of the same dressing room as Phaneuf, apparently he was not a problem personality as has been suggested.

Quote:

Jokinen strongly rejected the notion that Phaneuf was shipped to Toronto last Sunday because he was a cancer in the Flames dressing room.

"No, no, no. Not at all. He's a great teammate," Jokinen said.

"I would go to war with that guy any time. I would go to dinner with that guy any time. Yes, he's very intense. He gets that angry, mean look on his face that people take the wrong way. But what's wrong with wanting to win?"
The article goes on to suggest that it might have been disgruntled fans that caused him to be traded. I'm not sure I really believe that at all but at least dressing room problems don't seem to have been the big issue with Phaneuf in Calgary.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc...49296-sun.html

p.l.f. 02-05-2010 11:17 AM

too bad we couldnt have gotten jokinen as well

mooseOAK* 02-05-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f. (Post 23675400)
too bad we couldnt have gotten jokinen as well

I don't think that rentals are on Burke's shopping list.

MeowLeafs 02-05-2010 11:26 AM

That's it, make the guy our captain already. NOW NOW NOW.

Sundin that is.

The Magic Man 02-05-2010 11:26 AM

Apparantly it was a rift of cliques. If it was true, maybe Olli was with Dion. I don't really care either way, as long as it helps the team win. I also don't mind intense people, and can be short fused myslef. If teammates are gonna whine enough and not compete to get rid of an intense or even irritating individual, then they aren't real competitors in my opinion. Wasn't there a rift between Roberts/Domi and Tucker/Corson? That never affected their play. Of course haveing level headed guys like Niewy and Sundin surely helped.

p.l.f. 02-05-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseOAK (Post 23675469)
I don't think that rentals are on Burke's shopping list.

true
unless it wouldnt have cost only a few more bugs on a rug

but a 2 yr guy would be nicer, agreed

i wouldnt be surprised if sutter mentioned Joki's the name when chatting with Burke

Stephen 02-05-2010 11:27 AM

I wonder if Jokinen was one of the Phaneuf faction guys that Regehr and co. apparently had problems with? Just wondering aloud..

noobman 02-05-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseOAK (Post 23675469)
I don't think that Europeans are on Burke's shopping list.

Fixed :laugh:

akiberg* 02-05-2010 11:28 AM

Funny quote. I'm having a hard time picturing Jokinen 'going to war'.

Rifleman 02-05-2010 11:29 AM

well at least Calgary got rid of two cancers :sarcasm:

cynicism 02-05-2010 11:34 AM

In Eliotte Friedman's latest blog he states that Phaneuf has never been a problem in the dressing room and did a lot to help Giordano along over the years. It seems to me this flack of Phaneuf being bad in the dressing room is a transparent attempt by the Sutter camp to make himself look better.

RangerRed 02-05-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akiberg (Post 23675657)

Worth nothing here, Finns are one of the few people to beat Russians in a land war in the winter.

Brozak 02-05-2010 11:38 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_29WRBdtyz6...okinenreal.jpg

Jokinen at war.

Rifleman 02-05-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akiberg (Post 23675657)

have you seen the guy fight?

"insert Jokinen fight pic here"

Falon 02-05-2010 11:39 AM

Excellent comment by Jokinen. Already trying to sell himself to Burke in the offseason. Assuming Sather doesn't resign him (I don't think he can). "I love Phaneuf." "He wants to win" "So do I" "Give me an inflated contract to come to Toronto Burke".

ThinMcWhistle 02-05-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rifleman (Post 23675908)
have you seen the guy fight?

"insert Jokinen fight pic here"

At least he fights.. May not be the toughest guy on the block but he does stand up for teammates.

I am the Liquor 02-05-2010 11:47 AM

Jokinen talking about cancer in the dressing room is like Tiger Woods vouching that his buddy isnt an adulterer.

Ohio Jones 02-05-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falon (Post 23675923)
Excellent comment by Jokinen. Already trying to sell himself to Burke in the offseason. Assuming Sather doesn't resign him (I don't think he can). "I love Phaneuf." "He wants to win" "So do I" "Give me an inflated contract to come to Toronto Burke".

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

But honestly, Toronto could do worse...

dubey 02-05-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 23676099)
Jokinen talking about cancer in the dressing room is like Tiger Woods vouching that his buddy isnt an adulterer.

Which team do you play for? Florida, Phoenix or Calgary?

BlueAndWhite 02-05-2010 11:53 AM

I'd take Jokinen for less than he's making now and on a short term.

ThinMcWhistle 02-05-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite (Post 23676220)
I'd take Jokinen for less than he's making now and on a short term.

If there's one person who knows that he is not playing up to his current salary, it's O.J.

He will probably sign again for around $3 mill a season if he is being realistic.

BlueAndWhite 02-05-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiNsKa (Post 23676237)
If there's one person who knows that he is not playing up to his current salary, it's O.J.

He will probably sign again for around $3 mill a season if he is being realistic.

7 million for 2 years.

Rifleman 02-05-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiNsKa (Post 23676026)
At least he fights.. May not be the toughest guy on the block but he does stand up for teammates.

my point is his face.

Ohio Jones 02-05-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiNsKa (Post 23676237)

YEah... I'm sorry, I just don't see that happening. Yes, he's been a disappointment the last couple of seasons. But he has been a ppg player in teh league, he's not old, and he's a big body down the middle. The *least* I see him signing for is $4.5 million, and I expect he'll probably get offered over $5 million from someone.

NewFang 02-05-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynicism (Post 23675809)
In Eliotte Friedman's latest blog he states that Phaneuf has never been a problem in the dressing room and did a lot to help Giordano along over the years. It seems to me this flack of Phaneuf being bad in the dressing room is a transparent attempt by the Sutter camp to make himself look better.

What about the story about him and Iginla squaring off in the dressing room. So many BS stories and people here eat it up.