HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Would you sign......???? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=735374)

dethomas07 02-06-2010 03:03 PM

Would you sign......????

if we can trade rossi and maybe put redden in hartford... who would you want to sign and would you maybe consider signing a vet FA like Paul martin??? he is very mobile, can move the puck well, and plays solid defense.. would you want him??

Fitzy 02-06-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dethomas07 (Post 23703747)
if we can trade rossi and maybe put redden in hartford... who would you want to sign and would you maybe consider signing a vet FA like Paul martin??? he is very mobile, can move the puck well, and plays solid defense.. would you want him??

He would demand plenty of money but for the right price, sign me the hell up.

Course the only way Jersey lets him walk is if they sign Kovalchuk, which I dont think is going to happen.

Radek27 02-06-2010 03:07 PM

NO MORE DEVIL UFAS

It has never worked before.
It wont work now.
It won't work next year.

The idea of being crazy is trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result. You are crazy! :laugh:

HAPPY HOUR 02-06-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek27 (Post 23703857)
NO MORE DEVIL UFAS

It wont work now.
It won't work next year.

The idea of being crazy is trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Your crazy! :laugh:

:lol:

Martin is damn good though.

UAGoalieGuy 02-06-2010 03:13 PM

I've said this in like 5 other threads, but depending on his price, Anton Volchenkov would be ideal. Hard Hitter, very good defensively, blocks a ton of shots, a good PK'er, and log's a lot of minutes. Would be a great addition to the Rangers top 4.

Crazyhorse30 02-06-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

NO MORE DEVIL UFAS

It wont work now.
It won't work next year.

What about when we sign Kovalchuk over the summer? :D

polako 02-06-2010 03:17 PM

no change for change's sake.

Martin is not going to bring anything to this current crop of D that is really missing. If he had a booming shot, or was a heavy hitting crease clearer, then it would be a different story.

I expect Gilroy to play a bigger role next year. Hopefully he develops into it.

gotmonte 02-06-2010 03:29 PM

I would like to get rid of cap and stay under the cap for awhile.

I know you can not ice a team of rookies, but I also dont want vet's either. This team is not constructed correctly. Adding a piece here or a piece there really wont do much for us.

We have a solid goaltender (which can be rough at times but I will save this arguement for another day), a good young defensive corps with gilroy, staal, Michael Del Zotto, and a few guys in Hartford which are showing they can play.

We have good young players who can score (a few of them) with Gaborik, Grachev, MAYBE Stepan ect ect. but some of these kids arent ready to make it here yet.

I believe in having Gaborik here. Lundy here, the young kids on defense. But I also think we need to get HIGH draft picks that can make immediate impact on the NHL level. Once you have that going for you, then you sign vet's such as Paul Martin.

We need to stop trying to hang on to mediocricy at all costs. If we are a bad team, so be it. I dont think the fans mind so much as long as you are rewarded with a good young draft pick that can come in to training camp and make the team immediately.

When we get picks at 14 15 18 20 and so on so forth, those kids might be good players but we have to wait a few years for them to develop before they make the big club. This in turn makes us sign "vet" players for a stop gap. Which in return keeps getting us the 14 15 18 20 ect ect picks.

We need to own up to what we are. A garbage team with some really bright spots. They need young teamates that are very talented. I.E. Washington. LA, Chicago, Vancouver. ect ect.

Those teams were very bad for a long time but stockpiled great young high draft picks and now it is all being turned around with the mindset of a long future. Not a one or two year signing of a player hoping his legacy can spark some magic for a quick moment. We need to have a bright future. We need to have a bright present. We need to stop kidding ourselves. We need to own up to what we are and move forward.

But with Glenn Sather here. I guess that will not happen. I was happy when we first signed Sather way back when because his beliefs were that spending a ton of money should not be done and win with a smaller pricetag'ed club. The big Apple got to him and he spends to the ceiling every year.

I just wish the Rangers would get it already. Having the highest pricetag doesnt mean you will have the highest season. I.E. Every year since 1997

Inferno 02-06-2010 03:34 PM

i never want another player who hasn't established himself outside of NJ. sorry, not willing to go that way again.

Radek27 02-06-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy (Post 23704044)
I've said this in like 5 other threads, but depending on his price, Anton Volchenkov would be ideal. Hard Hitter, very good defensively, blocks a ton of shots, a good PK'er, and log's a lot of minutes. Would be a great addition to the Rangers top 4.

I would much rather this guy as well. Volchenkov is a physical force and can play.

Brooklyn Ranger 02-06-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

NO MORE DEVIL UFAS

It wont work now.
It won't work next year.

The idea of being crazy is trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result. You are (sp) crazy! :laugh:

Exactly what I thought.

Plus, Martin has been out for what 3 months now with the broken arm? Let's not be the team that signs him to a long term contract and then discovers lingering problems from the injury.

TheHotRock 02-06-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek27 (Post 23705114)
I would much rather this guy as well. Volchenkov is a physical force and can play.

i am on the 'get volchenkov' bandwagon as well.

he should be priority 1.
secondary scoring next.
i'd love to have ilya, but i'd be just as happy if we got one of sharp/versteeg and another 25 goal scorer.

Stugots 02-06-2010 04:02 PM

If we can't get Kovalchuk 2 guys we should consider are Frolov and Plekanec. Both are only 27 and would be great secondary scorers.

UAGoalieGuy 02-06-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stugots (Post 23705863)
If we can't get Kovalchuk 2 guys we should consider are Frolov and Plekanec. Both are only 27 and would be great secondary scorers.

plekanec is too streaky (in terms of seasons). he's in a contract year and those numbers are usually inflated. last year he only had 39 points, the year prior 69, and the year before that 47. kinda looks like prospals numbers over the coarse of his career. i mean depending on the money he is looking for i'd consider him, but he is more then likely going to be looking for $5 + million.

kings fans have nothing but bad things to say about frolov and his work ethic has been questioned. no thanks.

ECL 02-06-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

NO MORE DEVIL UFAS

It wont work now.
It won't work next year.

The idea of being crazy is trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result. You are crazy! :laugh:

Martin is a grade A stud.

I would take Martin 5 years @ 5M, but I think he gets more.

ECL 02-06-2010 04:30 PM

Anyone saying they wouldn't want Martin is just insane.

pwoz 02-06-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

NO MORE DEVIL UFAS

It wont work now.
It won't work next year.

Holik was a good Ranger. Contract was hilarious though.

Nyrvana 02-06-2010 04:31 PM

No more Russians that don't end in "kin" or "chuk"

TheHotRock 02-06-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 23706615)
Anyone saying they wouldn't want Martin is just insane.

but for the money, wouldn't you rather go for volchenkov?

satrabyk 02-06-2010 05:39 PM

no he is not what we need. We need a little toughness with skill back there. Hard to get, but we have MDZ and some other puck moving guys getting paid entry level, why would you bring a guy like Paul Martin in, makes no sense. We would over pay for him and NJ would just get some other young D man just as good, as they seem to not have trouble doing.

UAGoalieGuy 02-06-2010 05:51 PM

I posted this in the "looking ahead" thread:

In an ideal world (in my dreams) the following happens:

- Drury realizes he can't hack it anymore and retires.
- Sather swallows his pride and demotes Redden to Hartford.
- Roszival and Brashear are traded to Columbus for Husalius.
- Rangers sign Kovy to a 12 year $100 million contract, an about $8 million cap hit.
- Rangers sign Volchenkov at about $4 million per year.
- Re-sign Staal to 3 year contract at a cap hit of $3 million.
- Re-sign Girardi to a contract with a cap hit of $2 million.
- Re-sign Prust to a 2 year contract with a cap hit of $600K.
- Re-sign Prospal to a 1 year $2 million contract.
- Re-sign Jokinen to a 2 year contract with a cap hit of $4.5 million ($5.5 this season and $3.5 next).
- Bring up one of Sangs/Sauer/McD/Heikkanen for the last D spot, I put Sangs in for numbers sake.

If the cap stays the way it is right now, the total salary would be $56.2 million with around $600K in cap space. The roster would look like so:

Prospal - Jokinen - Gaborik
Kovalchuk - Dubinsky - Husalius
Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Voros - Boyle - Prust

Staal - MDZ
Volchenkov - Gilroy
Girardi - Sangs/Sauer/McD/Heikkanen

Lundqvist
Johnson

Again, this is in my dreams and probably has 0.001% chance of happening, but hey, a guy can dream.

And so I can show you how the salary works, here is the capgeek breakdown:

FORWARDS
* Ilya Kovalchuk ($8.300m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / * Kristian Husalius ($4.750m)
* Olli Jokinen ($4.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / * Vaclav Prospal ($2.000m)
Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / Aaron Voros ($1.000m)
Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / * Brandon Prust ($0.600m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
* Anton Volchenkov ($4.000m) / * Marc Staal ($3.000m)
* Daniel Girardi ($2.000m) / Matt Gilroy ($1.750m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Bobby Sanguinetti ($0.855m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Chad Johnson ($0.850m)

wa2k99 02-06-2010 05:52 PM

Sather is too incompetent to do anything like that

UAGoalieGuy 02-06-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wa2k99 (Post 23708478)
Sather is too incompetent to do anything like that

During the Fire Sather Rally on March 7th, there should be a joint rally to "Hire UAGoalieguy" lol. I'll get things done.

Rangerfan4life90 02-06-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy (Post 23708457)
In an ideal world (in my dreams) the following happens:

- Drury realizes he can't hack it anymore and retires.
- Sather swallows his pride and demotes Redden to Hartford.
- Roszival and Brashear are traded to Columbus for Husalius.
- Rangers sign Kovy to a 12 year $100 million contract, an about $8 million cap hit.
- Rangers sign Volchenkov at about $4 million per year.
- Re-sign Staal to 3 year contract at a cap hit of $3 million.
- Re-sign Girardi to a contract with a cap hit of $2 million.
- Re-sign Prust to a 2 year contract with a cap hit of $600K.
- Re-sign Prospal to a 1 year $2 million contract.
- Re-sign Jokinen to a 2 year contract with a cap hit of $4.5 million ($5.5 this season and $3.5 next).
- Bring up one of Sangs/Sauer/McD/Heikkanen for the last D spot, I put Sangs in for numbers sake.

If the cap stays the way it is right now, the total salary would be $56.2 million with around $600K in cap space. The roster would look like so:

Prospal - Jokinen - Gaborik
Kovalchuk - Dubinsky - Husalius
Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Voros - Boyle - Prust

Staal - MDZ
Volchenkov - Gilroy
Girardi - Sangs/Sauer/McD/Heikkanen

Lundqvist
Johnson

Again, this is in my dreams and probably has 0.001% chance of happening, but hey, a guy can dream.

And so I can show you how the salary works, here is the capgeek breakdown:

FORWARDS
* Ilya Kovalchuk ($8.300m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / * Kristian Husalius ($4.750m)
* Olli Jokinen ($4.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / * Vaclav Prospal ($2.000m)
Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / Aaron Voros ($1.000m)
Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / * Brandon Prust ($0.600m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
* Anton Volchenkov ($4.000m) / * Marc Staal ($3.000m)
* Daniel Girardi ($2.000m) / Matt Gilroy ($1.750m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Bobby Sanguinetti ($0.855m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Chad Johnson ($0.850m)

I actually wouldn't doubt this scenario besides for one thing..Drury retiring

UAGoalieGuy 02-06-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 (Post 23708792)
I actually wouldn't doubt this scenario besides for one thing..Drury retiring

I didn't think the Rangers would be able to trade Gomez, but somehow they were able to. Here's to hoping! May be he'll feel like he doesn't want to end his career on an even worse note then this season. lol But he'll never retire and give up making $8.0 million in real money next season.

That would be a very strong line-up, up and down the roster. And with the possibility of the cap going up a bit, the Rangers could have around $2.5 million in cap space.

Could trade use some of that cap space to sign a solid #5-6 guy if the Rangers feel on of the rook's are not ready for NHL duty yet.

EDIT: May be Mike Van Vyn