HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   News Article: Interesting Info: Part IX (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=735705)

Samkow 02-07-2010 09:24 AM

Interesting Info: Part IX (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Here's an interesting question from the most recent chat.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...pts/index.html

Quote:

[KeepHitch] Think there is any chance Howson is let go and Hitch becomes the GM?

[Portzline] No way. Not going to happen. If Hitch were the GM, Brassard, Voracek, Stralman, Vermette, etc., would all have been traded for big lumberjack types. Mike Blunden would be a top six fixture. Hitchcock is way too temperamental. Even he admits this.

CBJSprague24 02-07-2010 09:37 AM

Has that new thread smell.

Picking up from the last thread, Re-sign Tico, Scotty.

Feicht 02-07-2010 10:14 AM

Good lord, Hitch as GM? Please Hockeygods, nooooo!

Viqsi 02-07-2010 11:04 AM

Hitch as GM = dear holy G-d we're doomed
Hitch as advisor = STANLEY CUP

pete goegan 02-07-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 23724382)

That's a scenario that I'd like to see, too. And I agree with Porty - Hitch is too emotional to be a good GM. Fortunately, Hitch is smart enough to know that, as well.

CBJSprague24 02-07-2010 02:24 PM

I wondered if Hitch could go into an advisor role as Scotty Bowman did & how well it could work. Might not be a bad piece to have in your front office arsenal.

Handyy 02-07-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

To be honest, I don't think he'd want to take a "minor" job like that. It would mean his days in the bright lights would be over and not really sure if he would be willing to accept it.

punk_o_holic 02-07-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 (Post 23723130)
Has that new thread smell.

Picking up from the last thread, Re-sign Tico, Scotty.

Hopefully he sticks around for a couple of more years. If he were to get traded, I heard that L.A., Montreal, and Ottawa are interested. Not sure if LA is really interested or if it was a idea by Nick Kypreos. I think it sounded more of a suggestion if they can't get Whitney. Daren Millard just mentioned Montreal and Ottawa and said that is what he is hearing but didn't get into details.

Inquiring Minds 02-08-2010 05:43 AM

Quote:

Don't you think that having him around in another capacity, the new HC would always be looking over his shoulder? CBJ does have a history of front office people stepping in and taking over the bench - **cough, cough, he-who-shall-not-be-named-EXGMDM, cough, cough**

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyy (Post 23735002)
To be honest, I don't think he'd want to take a "minor" job like that. It would mean his days in the bright lights would be over and not really sure if he would be willing to accept it.

He was quoted as saying that more than the contractual obligation, he made a personal promise to JHM to see the CBJ improve, and that promise isn't fulfilled yet. I think that he will accept any chance to help keep his promise.

EDM 02-08-2010 12:22 PM

Hitch is a pariah just like Doug. He will not help this team. He will destroy it. He will impose his old values in favor of big, slow Canadians. He can't help himself. He is who he is and doing it the "Hitch way' will NEVER get us where we want to go. And because Priest and JPMac seem to believe in Hitch almost as a religious experience, Hitch will always be able to undercut whoever is the new head coach if they want to do things differently than the "Hitch way". I am sure Hitch is sincere in wanting to help the franchise. but the best way he can help is to get as far north in Canada, preferably a place without phones, as possible.

Handyy 02-08-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds (Post 23744027)
He was quoted as saying that more than the contractual obligation, he made a personal promise to JHM to see the CBJ improve, and that promise isn't fulfilled yet. I think that he will accept any chance to help keep his promise.

I'm pretty sure his personal promise won't mean anything, if he is being offered a coaching job elsewhere.

Robert 02-08-2010 05:06 PM

I pray he gets a job in Canada... He would be awesome as a TV commentator but I'd rather see him coach a Western Conference team up there so we can measure our progress over the next few years.

Hipster Letestu 02-09-2010 08:48 AM

Article from HF circa 1994 I found while searching for something else. Good read if you can stop yourself from laughing long enough to read it.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ts_his_troops/

KeithBWhittington 02-09-2010 09:14 AM

Modin was at Dublin Methodist yesterday signing autographs and snapping pics and whatnot, I'm thinking he might have played his last game in a jackets uni....

skimp 02-09-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington (Post 23771586)
Modin was at Dublin Methodist yesterday....

Typical.

blahblah 02-09-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyy (Post 23753178)
I'm pretty sure his personal promise won't mean anything, if he is being offered a coaching job elsewhere.

I guess everything is a lie with him even when there is no reason for him to lie. I don't see any reason to doubt that he'll be very selective on his next job, but whatever.

Cambion 02-09-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington (Post 23771586)
Modin was at Dublin Methodist yesterday signing autographs and snapping pics and whatnot, I'm thinking he might have played his last game in a jackets uni....

+++1

CapnCornelius 02-09-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astall35 (Post 23771249)
Article from HF circa 1994 I found while searching for something else. Good read if you can stop yourself from laughing long enough to read it.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ts_his_troops/

You know, one of the things that jumps out at me is that Doug was very much attempting to do what Detroit does. Look at the number of Euro players he went after. Heck, if Moyzakin had actually come over here he might have been a solid NHL player with a 9th round pick. (I died laughing when Doug suggested Moyzakin was definitely interested in playing here.)

Problem was, I'm not convinced our Euro scouting was ever as good as Detroit's, so it was all a shot in the dark.

A smart ownership/management that wants to employ that strategy would build a European scouting department as good or better than Detroit's. Otherwise you are better to stick to North America.

Handyy 02-09-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnCornelius (Post 23772882)
Problem was, I'm not convinced our Euro scouting was ever as good as Detroit's, so it was all a shot in the dark.

A smart ownership/management that wants to employ that strategy would build a European scouting department as good or better than Detroit's. Otherwise you are better to stick to North America.

Yeah, at least one (and only) scout in Finland for the Jackets at the time had other jobs, which doesn't really make a great start for scouting. Meanwhile, at least Chicago had one full-time scout here, who travelled around Europe watching different leagues and players. I met him once and saw the Chicago scouting database, it was pretty cool how they were doing their business. Would have been interesting to see what Jackets had then... Or now.

jacketsgeek 02-09-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds (Post 23744027)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyy (Post 23753178)

To many people a personal promise means something. I don't want to associate with anyone who doesn't think so. I will be greatly disappointed if that is the case with Hitch. Of course, no matter what circumstances lead to his departure from the Jackets, his haters will say, 'See...he didn't care about the promise he made.'

Handyy 02-10-2010 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacketsgeek (Post 23784219)
To many people a personal promise means something. I don't want to associate with anyone who doesn't think so. I will be greatly disappointed if that is the case with Hitch. Of course, no matter what circumstances lead to his departure from the Jackets, his haters will say, 'See...he didn't care about the promise he made.'

Well, it's cool if he has made such a promise IF he keeps it. But I just find it very hard to believe, that any head coach, not just Hitchcock, would rather stay to fulfill "more than the contractual obligation" promise than take another job as a head coach. If he denies a job, then a lot of kudos to him. If he won't, then it's just another broken promise from him.

Skraut 02-10-2010 09:34 AM

I keep running this article through Babelfish trying to get it into English, and Babelfish keeps claiming it is English.

Not exactly what you would call well written.

http://myopenuniversity.com/blog/201...columbus-blue/

Quote:

As the end of the regular season gets close and the many Franchises start to visualise about Stanley Cup success and the chance of lifting the cup. We will peek at these Low Cost Franchise and find out how they have begun from Franchises For Sale, marketed across the world to the massive Franchises of the NHL today. The NHL franchise market in the past has been biased for a lot of years from a lot of franchises in financial struggles, to a lot of franchises being able to land million dollar contracts. At this current moment the NHL franchise market is much more balanced as huge amounts of dollars are being held within as the crisis has hit the hockey market. All of the Franchises are cutting costs and running with what they have, which is having a business gain to the idea of Franchises For Sale in the market. Many investors for a lot of years have looked upon their franchise as a Home Based Franchise, they work with their club on a hourly basis and they take it with them wherever they go. This is much like any Home Based Franchise in the current climate and as a result beneficial to a future investor looking for a Franchises For Sale in the NHL field. The backer will have the confidence that the club has been well organised and looked after as if it were a Home Based Franchise.

Columbus has had a history of professional hockey going to 1966. But the NHL did not make an arrival until the Columbus Blue Jackets were established as Columbus, Ohio got a National Hockey League expansion franchise in the summer of 1997. Franchise owner John McConnell revealed the choice of the club name in the winter of 1997. The Blue Jackets name pays duty to Ohio’s input to American history. Through the Civil War, Ohio made major contributions to the Union Army and several of the uniforms worn by the Union soldiers were made in Columbus. The club logo was centred on an insect exemplifying merits like hard work and resourcefullness that the community wished to highlight.

... on and on...

Viqsi 02-10-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skraut (Post 23795316)
I keep running this article through Babelfish trying to get it into English, and Babelfish keeps claiming it is English.

Not exactly what you would call well written.

http://myopenuniversity.com/blog/201...columbus-blue/

It's apparently an open information exchange "university" for Asian business executives. The blind leading the blind.

The title of that article is pretty impressive, too:
"The American NHL Franchises Are Coping With The Current American Economy In What Appears To Be A Dreadful Period For Sports Across The Business Sector Including A Concise History Of The Columbus Blue Jackets."

I'm kind of the longwinded rambling type, and yet even I'd insist on trimming that one down.

skimp 02-10-2010 10:10 AM

Prolix! Prolix! Nothing a pair of scissors can't fix.

Skraut 02-10-2010 01:16 PM

Just gotta love news aggragation. Here's the same story as above but at a "US Brecession Buster Prices" site

http://usbrecessionbusterprices.com/?p=292

Dunno what a Brecession is, why it needs busting, but they're talking Jackets...