HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Eagles trade up to 16 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=73624)

blah 04-24-2004 01:51 PM

Eagles trade up to 16 (OT)

Grabbed Shawn Andrews, offensive tackle.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/d...player?id=7748

GKJ 04-24-2004 06:58 PM

:shakehead

FlyersGuy69 04-24-2004 07:16 PM

LOL! :lol

ObeySteve 04-24-2004 08:46 PM

Our offensive line was extremely unreliable last season....to the point that McNabb had to roll out on every plan to avoid immediate pressure from the defensive line that often plowed through with ease.

Unfortunately, fans are sitting around complaining, as if the O-Line was doing just fine. Just because we didn't lose any of our lineman to free agency this year means little. The offensive line was just as big of an issue as linebackers and cornerbacks.

The only bad thing at all about this pick is linemen often take a year or two to get completely adjusted to the NFL system....but that's about it. I'm happy with the Eagles picking the 2nd best offensive lineman avaliable in the entire draft.

blah 04-24-2004 08:48 PM

I am too. The Eagles allowed 43 sacks last season. Way too many.

Nice, Matt Ware dropped to them in the 3rd.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/d...player?id=7277

ObeySteve 04-24-2004 08:56 PM

And just for the people whining about the CB position, the Eagles just picked Matt Ware, a overlooked CB who could easily be an impact player.

Edit: Dammit dude, stop stealing my thunder. :joker:

Quellet The Dogs Out 04-24-2004 11:13 PM

The more I read about Matt Ware the more I am impressed.

In the ESPN draft preview they said he would "Be a great value in the 2nd round" and we got him in the 3rd!

He also plays outfield for the Seattle Mariners minor league team...very impressive, sounds like an outstanding athlete.

bobbyboucher24 04-25-2004 08:29 AM

I think I heard that he actually played for the Marlins, but either way, he and his agent said he will stick to football.

ObeySteve 04-25-2004 08:41 AM

Ummm....

If he's coming out of college, he didn't play for the Marlins.

FlyersHomer DM03 04-25-2004 09:15 AM

it could of been worse.

you guys trade up to get a player...my packers give up the 6th pick in the 4th round and a 5th to get another 3rd round pick, and grab a punter.

we also drafted two cornerbacks who won't start---something eagle fans are accustomed to

Pantokrator 04-25-2004 09:23 AM

Ignorant Football Question

I missed the draft so I don't know the circumstances surrounding the trade up to 16th.

Did the Eagles make the trade with the purpose of selecting this particular OT, or did they make the trade earlier and 'got stuck' with this player, if that makes sense.

blah 04-25-2004 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantokrator
I missed the draft so I don't know the circumstances surrounding the trade up to 16th.

Did the Eagles make the trade with the purpose of selecting this particular OT, or did they make the trade earlier and 'got stuck' with this player, if that makes sense.

Reid builds from the OL/DL out. Should've been obvious in hindsight that he would only trade up to get a lineman. Andrews was projected to go 16th to the 9ers in most mocks so it's really not a surprising pick or anything. Andrews is the 2nd best OT in the draft but will probably be moved to OG and replace Mayberry after this season. If they trade Welbourn then Andrews will probably be the top backup on the OL. I think this is the guy they targeted.

lol McGillis that sucks. I think McKenzie might be on his way out? ESPN said he was unhappy or something like that.

-Traded Welbourn to KC for a 5th in 04 and a 4th in 05.

bobbyboucher24 04-25-2004 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Ummm....

If he's coming out of college, he didn't play for the Marlins.

Why would that make a difference? Ricky Williams was playing minor league ball for the Phillies while attending and playing football for the Texas Longhorns.

FlyersFan10* 04-25-2004 09:38 PM

I'm a 'Skins fan, so I have to say that the Stinks did all right this past off-season. Of course, we're going to be in salary cap trouble in the next few years......

Pantokrator 04-26-2004 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
Reid builds from the OL/DL out. Should've been obvious in hindsight that he would only trade up to get a lineman. Andrews was projected to go 16th to the 9ers in most mocks so it's really not a surprising pick or anything. Andrews is the 2nd best OT in the draft but will probably be moved to OG and replace Mayberry after this season. If they trade Welbourn then Andrews will probably be the top backup on the OL. I think this is the guy they targeted.

lol McGillis that sucks. I think McKenzie might be on his way out? ESPN said he was unhappy or something like that.

Thanks for the information!

dedalus 04-26-2004 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah

The 4th rounder is conditional. If Welbourne takes 50% of the snaps, it becomes a 3rd rounder.

I'll be hoping for many minor injuries on the KC offensive line.

blah 04-26-2004 07:55 PM

Yeah I heard and thought exactly that :)

fan mao rong 04-27-2004 04:58 PM

Yeah, let's recall all those fairly high draft choices traded away for; Mike Mamula, Antone Davis, Bobby Williams, Kevin Allen, Jerome McDougle, and others too numerous to recall, and so it continues.

GKJ 04-27-2004 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan mao rong
Yeah, let's recall all those fairly high draft choices traded away for; Mike Mamula, Antone Davis, Bobby Williams, Kevin Allen, Jerome McDougle, and others too numerous to recall, and so it continues.

Jon Harris