HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Edmonton Oilers move AHL franchise to Oklahoma City (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=736773)

HockeyFan4Life 02-06-2010 08:52 AM

OKC Oil Kings? moved to Edmonton Oilers move AHL franchise to Oklahoma City thread

UPDATE: Oklahoma City announcement Tuesday?

Edit - Press Conference announcing the move to OKC of the Oiler farm team:
OKC AHL Press Conference

Oilerdiehard 02-06-2010 09:09 AM

The junior team the Oilers own is already called the Oil Kings.

I was hoping they would go with something else. Though obviously there are much worse names than that.

I liked something of the rumoured names like Oil Barons, Roughnecks, 89ers (though I am not sure what this stands for?) and OKC Hawks.

HockeyFan4Life 02-06-2010 09:18 AM

The announcement will happen here on Tuesday at 4pm according to the local newspaper.

Hemsky4PM 02-06-2010 09:40 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Center

If this is where they will be playing, the Oilers may become the only major league sports team that plays in a worse arena than their minor league affiliate.

According to this site, the Ford Center was built for $89M and ground was broken in 1999. Those who hesitate...

HockeyFan4Life 02-06-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM (Post 23695642)

If this is where they will be playing, the Oilers may become the only major league sports team that plays in a worse arena than their minor league affiliate.

According to this site, the Ford Center was built for $89M and ground was broken in 1999. Those who hesitate...

No they will NOT be playing in the Ford Center, there is no way that the NBA Thunder will give it up. They will be playing in the Cox Convention Center Arena(a.k.a the Myriad).

Lease Details Between OKC and Prodigal Hockey

Oilerdiehard 02-06-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life (Post 23695827)
No they will NOT be playing in the Ford Center, there is no way that the NBA Thunder will give it up. They will be playing in the Cox Convention Center Arena(a.k.a the Myriad).

Lease Details Between OKC and Prodigal Hockey

They also are or already have renovated the Cox Center correct? That was one of the Oilers reservations about playing there originally.

Yeah I do not imagine an NBA team will share with an AHL team. Though I guess you never know. I believe the Staples Center in Los Angeles is the home of the LA Clippers, LA Lakers and the LA Kings of the NHL.

Edit - Nevermind I found a link about the Cox Convention Center renovations.

http://www.coxconventioncenter.com/n...-Approved.html

HockeyFan4Life 02-06-2010 10:58 AM

The MAJOR thing that needs to be replaced is the Ice Plant. The last time it was used a couple of seasons ago. And the plant quit working during the 3rd period.

frag2 02-06-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM (Post 23695642)

Maybe thats why its 89rs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard (Post 23695310)
I liked something of the rumoured names like Oil Barons, Roughnecks, 89ers (though I am not sure what this stands for?) and OKC Hawks.

it cost 89M to build?:laugh:

HockeyFan4Life 02-06-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frag2 (Post 23697164)
Maybe thats why its 89rs

The 89ers is for the Land Run of 1889, there was a Minor League Baseball team with that name. But the team was renamed the Oklahoma City Redhawks.

Oilerdiehard 02-06-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frag2 (Post 23697164)
Maybe thats why its 89rs

You might be right if they were playing in the Ford Center which cost 89M to build.

But they are playing in the Cox Convention Center which is an older building.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life (Post 23697250)
The 89ers is for the Land Run of 1889, there was a Minor League Baseball team with that name. But the team was renamed the Oklahoma City Redhawks.

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying that. It is good to see them considering some names of historical significance. I wonder if the OKC Hawks proposed name was a hat towards the Redhawks?

ThePresent83 02-06-2010 11:36 AM

Id like the RoadRunners back... but they could call the team the Oklahoma City Poop and i would just be happy they was change in the works

Tavaresmagicalplay* 02-06-2010 11:40 AM

I would call them something unrelated to the oilers. The 89ers or something commemorating their history would be good.

Boozers 02-06-2010 11:49 AM

love the name It fits just like here

surshot* 02-06-2010 01:21 PM

I liked the roughnecks name.

HockeyFan4Life 02-06-2010 01:34 PM

What's going to being interesting is how the structure of the organization is going to shake out.

Oilerdiehard 02-06-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life (Post 23700512)
What's going to being interesting is how the structure of the organization is going to shake out.

Yeah I have been wondering a little about that as well. I mean obviously the Oilers will be in charge of the players, player procurement, the coaching staff and that sort of thing. But I wonder how it works beyond that? I know some clubs like say the Hershey Bears the local group makes good money and actually kick extra money above and beyond their affiliation fees to the Washington Capitals. Which is used to go after high profile AHL free agents and probably other operating perks for the team. So in essence Hershey is paying for at least a couple of the players themselves and probably have some say in who to get. I am just not sure how that sort of thing works and probably differs somewhat between team to team. It seems like when the parent club actually owns the AHL team they are pretty heavily involved in everything. As opposed to for example Springfield where the local group owns the AHL team. They had minimal input into the team on the ice but also could not afford to pay anything towards player salaries.

HockeyFan4Life 02-06-2010 01:59 PM

My impression is that Prodigal just may run the day to day operations with Edmonton running the rest of the show.

Oilerdiehard 02-06-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life (Post 23701374)
My impression is that Prodigal just may run the day to day operations with Edmonton running the rest of the show.

Yeah that is sort of what I figured. Like dealing with concessions, tickets, event staff and that type of thing. I think the Oilers will be pretty hands on with just about everything else.

I am interested to see what kind of schedule they work out. From some fans comments the Falcons play the same close teams all the time to save money on travel. Maybe the Oil will spring for more travel and variety of opponents. Though I guess you do not want to over do the travel and have no practice time either. A delicate balance I suppose.

HockeyFan4Life 02-06-2010 02:12 PM

And it works out for not only OKC, but Houston,Texas, and San Antonio too. Hopefully that some cable coverage is in order..

deanmoriarty 02-06-2010 02:23 PM

It doesn't seem fair that Calgary got a team in Abbottsford. Couldn't the Oilers have found somewhere less than 3000k's away, or a more desirable city to visit?

Narnia 02-06-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanmoriarty (Post 23702104)
It doesn't seem fair that Calgary got a team in Abbottsford. Couldn't the Oilers have found somewhere less than 3000k's away, or a more desirable city to visit?

Edmonton does not want to invade WHL territory.

hockeyaddict101 02-06-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyFan4Life (Post 23696687)
The MAJOR thing that needs to be replaced is the Ice Plant. The last time it was used a couple of seasons ago. And the plant quit working during the 3rd period.

I am pretty sure that I posted an article which talked about renovations, including the ice plant a while back.

They made a deal with the City of Oklohoma.

Oilerdiehard 02-06-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanmoriarty (Post 23702104)

Well the Oilers have been searching for a long time for the right place to put the team. OKC had better attendance numbers for a CHL team than most AHL clubs can muster. They are renovating their building. It seems like a really good situation with a solid fan base in place. I believe I heard it is about 1,000 miles closer than Springfield. It is not much but they even get a little closer.

Maybe I am not as picky as you are. But OKC seems like it would be a fine city to visit on a trip down there.

From what I hear Abbotsford have not been that terribly supportive of the AHL team (according to the owner of the ECHL Salmon Kings when asked if they would convert to an AHL team recently). It remains to be seen whether that will be a good fit besides anything more than geographically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 (Post 23702310)
I am pretty sure that I posted an article which talked about renovations, including the ice plant a while back.

Yep. Check out the link I posted above.

HockeyFan4Life 02-06-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 (Post 23702310)

I know they are going too, amongst other things that will be redone.

Moreaupheus 02-06-2010 03:11 PM

I'd likethe name to be Oil Barons rather than the Roadrunners.