HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Pavel Kubina (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=736850)

Jeffler 02-09-2010 08:14 PM

Pavel Kubina

Just curious, what is the Thrashers fan consensus on him?

He's my favourite player in the NHL, and I'm still not over Burke trading him, personally. Thought he was the Leafs best D the previous 2 1/2 seasons. Been trying to keep up with him as a Thrasher, but I must admit that I haven't been entirely successful in accomplishing that :laugh:

What say you guys?

GetPucksDeep 02-09-2010 08:20 PM

He's very good. I think the Thrashers will try and re-sign him, but may not be successful.

ThrasherMinion 02-09-2010 08:25 PM

according to Waddell at the Town Hall meeting, he said he has already started talking to his agent and is hopeful that an extension can be worked out. Kubina is evidentally one of the team leaders in the locker room. Best D-man we've ever had.

BreakTheWallsDown 02-09-2010 08:27 PM

He's awesome. Our best defenseman this season without a doubt. Hope we can keep him.

RoyalAir 02-09-2010 08:28 PM

Kubina's great. Would love to re-sign him, but if he won't agree, I'd like to ship him to Washington for a first-rounder and a prospect maybe. (Caps fans idea, not mine). Three first rounders this year should be fun to play with.

DungeonK 02-09-2010 09:41 PM

Amazing player, I'm not sure what happened to him in Toronto, but this isn't the bum from Tampa I remember. Would re-sign him in a heartbeat, plays solid top-4 minutes on the PK, PP, and ES.

MatthewT 02-09-2010 10:00 PM

If he were made available at the deadline I would love for Murray to try and acquire him.

John Cena* 02-09-2010 10:38 PM

1st round pick should do it... maybe 1st + prospect ... i'd like to re-sign him though.

Toque-trick 02-09-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewT (Post 23789495)
If he were made available at the deadline I would love for Murray to try and acquire him.

You sure you didn't mean Hainsey? Think hard, don't be hasty. There you did mean Hainsey right?

Hockey Biltong 02-09-2010 11:40 PM

Kubina is an excellent value to the Thrashers.
He is an older chap and it will be interesting to see what price he will ask us to deliver and for how long.
I'd like to see him for 2 or 3 more years. I think he is about 30 years old now.

CaptainKishimoto 02-10-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DungeonK (Post 23788954)
Amazing player, I'm not sure what happened to him in Toronto, but this isn't the bum from Tampa I remember. Would re-sign him in a heartbeat, plays solid top-4 minutes on the PK, PP, and ES.

Toronto traded him (more like his salary) in order to make room for Komisarek. Worst trade ever. =[ But since I'm a Thrashers fan, I love you Burke! I wonder if Kubi will stick around though (especially with the team being so young and acquiring IV).

Lux Aurumque* 02-10-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky17 (Post 23786072)
according to Waddell at the Town Hall meeting, he said he has already started talking to his agent and is hopeful that an extension can be worked out. Kubina is evidentally one of the team leaders in the locker room. Best D-man we've ever had.

*cough*Enstrom*cough*

JawandaPuck 02-10-2010 02:53 AM

Kubina is going to be looking for a very long term deal that pays him on average $4M+ per season. Waddell is going to scoff at that because he has three vets already on long term deals each well over three million bucks a piece, as well as a hot shot sophomore who is going to need a new $4M deal in a little over a year. Waddell is also going to feel comforted by his growing crop of very promising blueline prospects including the new four horsemen, in Vishnevskiy, Kulda, Postma and Valabik.

Thus, Kubina and ATL will part ways probably at the TDL and the top suitors for his services will be WSH and NJD. Expect no less than a first rounder and a warm body. The bidding should be intense.

DungeonK 02-10-2010 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainKishimoto (Post 23792068)
Toronto traded him (more like his salary) in order to make room for Komisarek. Worst trade ever. =[ But since I'm a Thrashers fan, I love you Burke! I wonder if Kubi will stick around though (especially with the team being so young and acquiring IV).

Yeah, I knew about the cap implication surrounding the deal, I meant what happened to him skillwise... pre-TO Kubina would get destroyed by post-TO Kubina. He was a big part of their cup run, but he never impressed me like he has this season. Maybe our guys constantly scoring right in his face influenced my opinion :laugh:

B72Thrashers 02-10-2010 04:37 AM

If DW wants this team to make the play offs, he can't afford to trade away Kubina at the deadline. I think he will get offered around a 3/4 year deal with similar money to what he's making just now.

AtlantaWhaler 02-10-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky17 (Post 23786072)

I thought I read Wads is going talk to his agent over the Olympic break.

Hurt 02-10-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainKishimoto (Post 23792068)

Actually it was Beauch AND Komisarek. So I don't think it's the worst trade ever. I'm glad he's doing well in Atlanta though, I always liked him on the Leafs.

odgersfan83 02-10-2010 11:38 AM

I really think that Kubina's future in Atlanta depends on what happens over the next 3 games leading into the Olympic break.

If we enter the break and we're in a playoff spot, or within a point of being in, and the the team is looking unified and motivated...then I think we gamble and keep him for the rest of the year to make a playoff run.

If we tank the next three games and go into the break 5 or 6 points out...he'll be shipped off.

vomer 02-11-2010 08:07 PM

Big Kubina fan. I've been to every home game, and he rarely disappoints.

brownvm 02-11-2010 08:26 PM

I think we acquired Oduya to ease losing Kubina. Re-signing Kubina would push Bogosian, Oduya, or Hainsey to the third pairing. Just seems silly, and I think our money is better spent on a Centerman.

Shameus 02-11-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownvm (Post 23839686)
I think we acquired Oduya to ease losing Kubina. Re-signing Kubina would push Bogosian, Oduya, or Hainsey to the third pairing. Just seems silly, and I think our money is better spent on a Centerman.

:huh:

We have Antro, Pevs, and Reasoner all under contract for next season. We have 2 "bottom 6" center prospects playing in Chicago right now. I think you meant wing.

brownvm 02-11-2010 08:59 PM

No, Center. Antropov should be playing Wing. Peverley should be getting second-line Center time, like he's getting, and we need to spend the money Kovalchuk wanted on a Center. Reasoner is also fine where he is.

thrashtoast 02-11-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownvm (Post 23841115)
No, Center. Antropov should be playing Wing. Peverley should be getting second-line Center time, like he's getting, and we need to spend the money Kovalchuk wanted on a Center. Reasoner is also fine where he is.

I disagree re: Antro...he is playing great at center and is phenomenal on defense. Keep him there.

Rhodes 81 02-11-2010 10:32 PM

i don't know about best defenseman ever(what is enstrom chopped liver?) but he is certainly very good and worth 5 million if that is what i takes to re-sign him.

as it stands we have about 10 million in cap space plus zhitnik's buyout number coming off next season and likely armstrong's 2.4 million gone and kozlov's 3.6 million. after that the highest salary besides kubina's 5 million is hedberg's 1 million. we could easily afford to re-sign him and still be an active player in free agency if our owners are willing to again like we were last season.

-let's say that little gets a raise to about 2-2.5 million
-bergfors get's 1.5 million or so, no idea how much he may want but this is probably a close guess.
-afinogenov is re-signed for 3 million(probably what it would take to keep him here after he has reestablished himself, but over 2 million and i would let him walk
-slater is resigned at 1 million
-boulton igets current contract
-kubina is re-signed at 5 million
-pavelec gets 2 million
-hedberg gets 1 million

our lines
bergfors(1.5)-antropov(4.0)-little(2.0)
kane(3.1)-peverley(1.3)-afinogenov(3.0)
white(2.3)-slater(1.0)-machacek(0.8)
boutlon(0.6)-reasoner(1.1)-thorburn(0.6)

enstrom(3.7)-kubina(5.0)
bogosian(3.3)-oduya(3.0)
hainsey(4.5)-valabik(0.7)
kulda(0.5)

pavelec(2.0)
hedberg(1.0)

total-44.46 million.
still leaves plenty of room to sign a quality free agent if possible and remain well under the salary cap. hopefully we could move hainsey and white for an upgrade in the top 6, maybe buffalo would be willing to give us vanek for them if we added new jersey's first. who knows. it's not like we have to clear any salary though.

brownvm 02-11-2010 10:34 PM

Okay, well let's keep Antro at Center and just not let him take faceoffs anymore.....

And we absolutely cannot give Afinogenov $3 Mill. He won't sign here anyways.