HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   BG Only Needs to Tinker With Lineup! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=73817)

#1 Habitant 04-25-2004 01:42 PM

BG Only Needs to Tinker With Lineup!

I am also disturbed by the posts suggesting the number of current players who ought to be traded this summer. What's up with that? Is it because if the Habs don't win the Cup in 2004 that these individuals feel the team needs to overhauled?
As the old cliche goes, "patience is a virtue!" This team does not need to be traded away and rebuilt from scratch. As I see it, BG only needs to tinker with it a little at a time.
Goaltending: The Habs have perhaps the best 1-2 punch in net in the entire league. Most teams would die to have a starter and a backup with the skill of Theodore and Garon. We also have a few prospects sitting in the wings.

Defence: In this position the Habs have some good, young, quality players who can only get better. Markov (deemed the Bobby Orr of Russia a couple of years ago) is starting to come into his own; Komisarek is young but has improved dramatically this year and, man, can he hit! Rivet is solid top-4 dman; Brisebois had a great season even though he didn't score as in previous years - he also didn't make the mistakes as in previous years; Souray played great when healthy and there is no reason to believe that he will come to camp hurt. Having the summer off will help him to heal and strengthen the wrist; Boullion - a small man with a big heart, can skate and carry the puck - he will not hurt you; Hainsey - had a great year in the AHL and there is no reason to think he can't translate that into the NHL next year; Beauchemin also had a great year in the AHL. He is solid defensively and I can see him playing steady very soon on the Hab's d; and don't forget about the other developing d-men in the AHL/ECHL/CHL/OS such as Archer, Shasby, Flood, Glenn/Korneev/Korpikari/Linhart.

Forward: We have a great, young crew of players and prospects, many of whom will develop over the next couple of years. We are one of the youngest teams in the league as opposed to teams like Toronto and Philadelphia who are 35+ years.
Koivu is our leader, heart and soul. He is the Captain. Look at our other solid players such as Zednik, Bulis, Dowd, Juneau, Ribeiro, Ward, Kovalev, Ryder, Perreault, Begin, Sundstrom, Dackell.

In my opinion, BG only needs to tinker with his team, not overhaul it as some have suggested. BG needs to ...
1. resign Kovalev; 2. replace a couple of 3/4 liners; 3. perhaps add another solid d-man to replace Quintal (should he retire); 4. find and add a big 1/2 liner if they come at modest price.
I would not throw tons of money at UFA's but invest that money into the Hab's system and develop our prospects. And keep in mind, we are rated #1 overall in organizational strength relating to prospects. I believe BG is smart enough not to trade away our future no matter how tempting it may be for the moment. Look at the skill we have coming: Higgins, Plekanec, Katsitsyn, Korneev, Korpikari, Linhart, Shasby, Glenn, Flood, Danis, Michaud, Lapierre, Locke, Deveaux, Lambert, Urquhart, Stewart, Bonneau, Perezhogin, Hossa, Milroy, Ferland, O'Byrne, Marois, Larrivee Halak, Thinel, Archer among others. This is not to say that all of them will make the big team or have an impact at the NHL level. We all know that some will not, however, there is no denying that the future is bright. And who knows who will develop into what - I am sure that we will see plenty of surprises along the way to our next Cup.
Lastly, we have a great coach in Julien who knows the game. He is perhaps one of a dying breed - an old-style coach who doesn't along himself to get tangled up with systems but keeps it simple - the way hockey was meant to be played. He is honest with his players and in return he expects them to play his way. We also have the best front office in hockey today headed by: Bob Gainey, Andre Savard, Trevor Timmins and Pierre Gauthier. What more can we ask for?
Take heart, Hab faithful, we will win the Cup again very soon. GO HABS!

Traitor8 04-25-2004 01:51 PM

He doesn't really need to sign anybody but Kovalev.

OUT - IN
Juneau- Higgins
Dackell- Plekanec
Quintal- Hainsey
Dagenais- Hossa
Sundstrom- Perezhogin
Perreault- Kostsitsyn/Perezhogin

I wouldn't mind signing Primeau,Madden, but if he doesn't sign anybody then I wouldn't mind,we have the young guys who can come in.

#1 Habitant 04-25-2004 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8

OUT - IN
Juneau- Higgins
Dackell- Plekanec
Quintal- Hainsey
Dagenais- Hossa
Sundstrom- Perezhogin

I wouldn't mind signing Primeau,Madden, but if he doesn't sign anybody then I wouldn't mind,we have the young guys who can come in.

I agree with you that he doesn't really have to sign anyone but resign Kovalev and I would add Dowd to that list. However, if he can sign a UFA at a very reasonable price I would like to see him do it. But I wouldn't break the bank for any unless they are over-the-top guys.

felixd 04-25-2004 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8

OUT - IN
Juneau- Higgins
Dackell- Plekanec
Quintal- Hainsey
Dagenais- Hossa
Sundstrom- Perezhogin

As much as I would like that to happen, you're asking a whole lot from our young players. I think only one maybe two will make the team next year.

I think we can expect one of Barnaby/Simon to come to Mtl as well as one of Madden/Ricci/Nikolishin/Konawalchuk

Again, as long as we don't overpay for any of these players I am all for it.

jacklours 04-26-2004 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixd
As much as I would like that to happen, you're asking a whole lot from our young players. I think only one maybe two will make the team next year.

I agree with you there. I expect Hossa or Hainsey to be mature anough next year to realize they have a chance ar making the NHL and be part of the team for a long time. I can see them too making it and being somewhat key players. Maybe Higgins on a third line. But the rest of them, though they are offensive players will probably just play a few games on a non offensive line.

Mooch 04-26-2004 10:00 AM

The only guys i say we sign, are the guys who have worked well with our system so far. Kovalev, Dowd. Then sign sunny(second choice) or Laperier(first choice) Thats it, dont blow money untill we are real contenders imo.

Zednik, Koivu, Kovalev
Hossa, Ribs, Ryder
Higgins, Dowd, Ward
Sunny or Laperier(sp), Begin, Langdon= rotate with either Perezhogan or Pleks once in a while.

Markov, Komo
Souray, Breezy
Hainsey, Rivet

Theo, Garon