HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Broken Stick Salvage??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=739505)

Elshupacabra 02-15-2010 10:37 PM

Broken Stick Salvage???

Picked up a broken Easton S11 at my beer league tonight, looks like it's still salvageable to me, very few scuff marks. I figure if I can get a new blade for 30, 40, 50 dollars it will still be a deal :dunno:

What would I have to do to go about putting on a new blade for this stick? Where would I cut it, so on so fourth.

eberleclone 02-15-2010 11:59 PM

Make sure you pick up a tapered blade. And as for where to cut the stick, it can be kind of hit or miss if you haven;t cut a tapered shaft before. Make a cut lower down on the shaft and if you need to, move up about an inch or so and try there (keep doing this until you find the spot where the blade will fit in). Itll probably be best to have an extra wooden plug as well since it could end up being rather short.

nyrangers10 02-16-2010 01:54 AM

I'm pretty sure you're only choice is to flip it around and put a standard blade in the top. The new line of stealths have the "elliptical" taper which doesn't allow you to cut it and put in a tapered blade.

RangersAM99 02-16-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrangers10 (Post 23935494)
I'm pretty sure you're only choice is to flip it around and put a standard blade in the top. The new line of stealths have the "elliptical" taper which doesn't allow you to cut it and put in a tapered blade.

this is exactly what you should do, just cut down where the blade was broke, flip it around and put in a 20 doller bottem, you shouldn't have to spend 30+ dollers on a tapered blade

IniNew 02-16-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersAM99 (Post 23939751)
this is exactly what you should do, just cut down where the blade was broke, flip it around and put in a 20 doller bottem, you shouldn't have to spend 30+ dollers on a tapered blade

Any other stick and I'd strongly disagree with you. Flipping the stick messes with the flex, and flex-points of a stick. However, because this is a Stealth stick its your only option because of the elliptical taper the stick has.

RangersAM99 02-16-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IniNew (Post 23940032)
Any other stick and I'd strongly disagree with you. Flipping the stick messes with the flex, and flex-points of a stick. However, because this is a Stealth stick its your only option because of the elliptical taper the stick has.

when ever i broke a blade and flipped the stick around and put a bottom in, i did not notice any change in the flex and flex points

Webernaut 02-16-2010 03:27 PM

Throw it out... lol Just get a new stick, the S11 is like $60 new. What stick could you possibly have now that a S11 cut and flipped would out perform? lol

Jarick 02-16-2010 03:52 PM

The S11 doesn't seem to have the same extreme taper as the S17, you could give it a shot with a tapered blade. You'll probably have to add a plug though.

blueberrydanish 02-16-2010 04:01 PM

As many have said...only chance you have is flipping it with the newer Easton's elliptical part of the shaft.

I have heard of a guy locally who just did it, pretty damn good player, and he says he can tell a difference in the kick etc....if you want to go through the effort though and spend a little on replacement blade no reason not to give it a shot.

timbitca 02-17-2010 07:42 AM

You CAN tell a difference in kick points when flipping sticks over, but that difference is not worth the price tag of a new stick.
Posted via Mobile Device

RangersAM99 02-17-2010 10:18 AM

if you're gonna use the stick to play pick up roller games or open hockey im sure it'll be fine, but if you're gonna be playing a high level beer league or any other competive leagues just buy a new stick

AIREAYE 03-07-2010 08:31 PM

Im going to bring up an old thread instead of starting a new one. I broke my Bauer Vapour X:40 tonight when it almost impaled me against the boards. The blad snapped off near the heel.

Does this warrant a standard or tapered blade?
Where should I cut it?
What effects will this have on the flex/shooting ability etc. of the stick?
Which blades under $45 have the best puck feel (assuming tapered blades)?

Socastee09 03-07-2010 09:25 PM

when i broke my s11, i flipped it and used a easton s15 blade with the same curve (sakic) i had on it before it broke and it works fine. you will notice a difference in the flex point but i travel on an all star team and its working just fine for me.

HowToHockey 03-08-2010 03:22 AM

Yup, you have to flip it around and use the other side. Some say it will change the performance of the stick as some have different "kick points" but other people will not notice. At the very least you can give it to a kid to use.

Hockeyfan68 03-08-2010 01:06 PM

I would chuck it back in the trash, it is virtually useless now. That funky taper it has and flipping the blade does change the flex point.

Not worth the effort honestly.

Socastee09 03-08-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 (Post 24376474)
I would chuck it back in the trash, it is virtually useless now. That funky taper it has and flipping the blade does change the flex point.

Not worth the effort honestly.

true, but for someone who only has say 50 bucks and needs a blade it will work, ive been using mine the s11 and the easton s15 blade and its fine. i mean yeah it changed and i noticed it, i didnt think it would work either but thats my favorite stick now to use over my other OPS's. JMO...

AIREAYE 03-09-2010 07:26 PM

A blade might fit if i cut it up high enough...might try a RBK 1K or Easton ABS for use on ice and street. any thoughts on those 2?

Socastee09 03-09-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 24401034)
A blade might fit if i cut it up high enough...might try a RBK 1K or Easton ABS for use on ice and street. any thoughts on those 2?

if you do that you might have an insane flex afterwards, meaning its going to be pretty high if your going to try to stick the standard blade into it, but if you just flip it it will fit a standard blade and you will still have the length of the stick with the same flex, food for though man.

StrykerB 03-10-2010 05:45 PM

That S-11 is not an elliptical taper. Your best option is a tapered blade. If it broke above the taper, you can get away with buying a standard blade, but you may need to install an endplug to get it to the length that you like.

If you flip it, you'll be putting the flex up in the grip area which is a good thing, but it's better to have that taper flex near the blade.

backhander 03-10-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IniNew (Post 23940032)

this...broke my flipped over stick on the first few shots...now have a new synergy...hey at least i have a new stick

backhander 03-10-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webernaut (Post 23944151)
Throw it out... lol Just get a new stick, the S11 is like $60 new. What stick could you possibly have now that a S11 cut and flipped would out perform? lol

yep...listen to this :nod:

Socastee09 03-24-2010 09:23 PM

old thread, but i just broke my s11, so i cut it long as i could at first, flipped it and put in a easton s15 sakic blade in it, and i have two games tomorrow, guess we will have the verdict on it haha.

Crosbyfan 03-24-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 24401034)

In which case you might as well just flip it.

RJC 03-24-2010 11:25 PM

Broken S11 really isnt worth keeping

Socastee09 03-25-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJC (Post 24711792)
Broken S11 really isnt worth keeping

maybe, maybe not. who knows lol. but right i had a new blade sitting in the closest and its game time tonight so i couldnt really order a new stick and have it here in a night without insane shipping costs...