HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Larry Brooks: Sather will look to improve Rangers at deadline (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=739558)

RangerBoy 02-16-2010 06:40 AM

Sather will look to improve Rangers at deadline

That's the title of the Larry Brooks article in today's Post but if you read it...

Quote:

So, unless Sather is somehow able to pull off cap acrobatics of an unforeseen nature -- or is willing to divest the Rangers of Wade Redden's $6.5 million cap hit by waiving him to the minors, a move there is no indication the GM is considering -- trade deadline changes are more likely to be made around the fringes, as they were last Friday when Jody Shelley replaced Donald Brashear on the roster
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0fhZ8MeKh

LB brings up Sheldon Souray(again)as a possible target even though he won't return until 2-3 weeks after the March 3 deadline but Sather has no room to add that cap hit without sending Michal Rozsval in return or wheeling him off to a third team and taking back zero money. Not happening during the season.

The Rangers two game winning streak means Sather won't sell off Prospal and Jokinen. He can't be a buyer either. No cap space. 1 SPC left.

FUBAR.:help:

dank 02-16-2010 06:42 AM

whyyyyyyyyyyyy

LetsGoBlueshirts 02-16-2010 06:54 AM

Seems like speculation on LB's part, no quotes from Sather or facts to back it up.

However, if I were to bet I would say that slats will be a buyer at the deadline. :shakehead

Blueblood 2 02-16-2010 06:58 AM

Surprised Brooks didn't suggest that the improvement should be dumping the "out of control" coach. I guess Sather will be the next one he bashes for whatever he does or does not do at the deadline. PPFT!

Melrose_Jr. 02-16-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts (Post 23936430)
Seems like speculation on LB's part, no quotes from Sather or facts to back it up.

Yah, I'm almost tempted to change the thread title. The headline writer really missed the bus on this one.

Not seeing a potential Souray deal myself. Just too much of a change in direction, particulary for the PP that now looks much better with the addition of Jokinen.

IceBear86 02-16-2010 07:09 AM

You just can't give away Prospal. One of the very few who actually show some PASSION and moreover, are able to be effektive.

alkurtz 02-16-2010 07:37 AM

Simple really: the definition of a successful season is making the playoffs; the definition of an unsuccessful season is not.

I know, I know.....short term planning always leads to long term failure but in sports, it's mostly about the moment. It doesn't matter what we hard core fans think or want about building for the future, acquiring young assets, and trading liabilities; was there ever really any doubt that if the Rangers were in playoff contention that they would do almost anything (within reason; I'd like to think we are beyond trading youth for older players) in give them the best short at making the playoffs?

C'mon guys....we knew it would come to this.

chosen 02-16-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkurtz (Post 23936605)
Simple really: the definition of a successful season is making the playoffs; the definition of an unsuccessful season is not.

I know, I know.....short term planning always leads to long term failure but in sports, it's mostly about the moment.

Close.

It's about MSG being lit up or dark during the postseason, in other words, the immediate cash flow.

pwoz 02-16-2010 07:50 AM

We can't blame Sather any more for deadline deals. It's all DOLAN and his a$pirations for post season games, that's it. He wants those 2 playoff games, and then he doesn't care!

alkurtz 02-16-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwoz (Post 23936684)
We can't blame Sather any more for deadline deals. It's all DOLAN and his a$pirations for post season games, that's it. He wants those 2 playoff games, and then he doesn't care!

Goes without saying that a successful season means the playoffs and the revenues it brings; even if it is, an minimum, 2 home games and a first round sweep where we get knocked out.

offdacrossbar 02-16-2010 08:00 AM

dejavu all over again

lemme make sure i got it straight....

ok, so we make a little run here before the break and win 2 games without our best player and our young dman with an attitude problem :laugh: and then of course sather says.... "were still in it" or did he say that before when we were losing games pretty much every night...anyway, the other teams ahead of us pretty much suk so there not gonna runaway from us which of course makes our suking look a little bit less suky.

so after the olympics, we'll all either be on a high with hank bringin home the gold- doubt that this year with a so-so squad from sweeeeeeeden or the tre kroners will get blown out and either way, just like global warming, slats will spin that and make that a positive and thus find a reason- like $$$$ from a 1 round playoff series- to push for this band of misfits to somehow back into the playoffs. and that means....

hell be BUYING after the olympics. :handclap: hoooray for slats.

yes folks, he will purchase some shlub named souray or antropov for a 2nd round pick - that would be nice to have and use at the friggin draft !!!! and well somehow manage to back into the playoffs on the last day of the season so we can face the penguins, the caps or the devils who will crap all over us.

well get to sit through another playoff series where well be outshot 20-2 in the first period, hank will stand on his head and hold the opposition to 2 goals and somehow will manage dominate the last 5 minutes of the 3rd period scoring a goal to get it within 1 only to "run out of clock" and then capt dreary will say we "deserved better"....

and on draft day, well watch all the other teams draft talented young players and well draft in the middle and take a kid named huge specimin..... wait. nevermind.

SELL

The Thomas J.* 02-16-2010 08:05 AM

I really hope Sather doesn't trade for Souray. :shakehead

TheHotRock 02-16-2010 08:09 AM

i think larry just needs something to write about during the break.

offdacrossbar 02-16-2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thomas J. (Post 23936785)
I really hope Sather doesn't trade for Souray. :shakehead

he will. and we all know it.

im sure rozy is a gonner, hes played just well enough for slats to sell him to someone looking for a guy who can turn the puck over up the middle and shy away from contact in the corners.

its time to all realize the fastest way to improve the team long term is to sell off the following players and move on

rozy
girardi
prospal
jokinen
dubinsky

and dump mary lou redden already

those guys will fetch a decent return in picks and perhaps a decent young power forward type.

clear some space, call up the kids and let them play, finish out the season, go to the draft with a boatload of 2nd rounders and possibly move up if need be, and get to july and see what happens.

thats the plan that will work.

slats will, of course, do the opposite.

mullichicken25 02-16-2010 08:15 AM

Brooks seems to indicate that its possible to get a 1st rounder for vinny or jokinen, is that really possible?

if a team is offereing that and sather turns it down he should be taken out back and shot

Trxjw 02-16-2010 08:15 AM

I don't think we'll be making any big moves, but I can't see us being sellers considering we're still in the playoff race.

The headline is definitely misleading.

mullichicken25 02-16-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offdacrossbar (Post 23936827)
he will. and we all know it.

im sure rozy is a gonner, hes played just well enough for slats to sell him to someone looking for a guy who can turn the puck over up the middle and shy away from contact in the corners.

its time to all realize the fastest way to improve the team long term is to sell off the following players and move on

rozy
girardi
prospal
jokinen
dubinsky

and dump mary lou redden already

those guys will fetch a decent return in picks and perhaps a decent young power forward type.

clear some space, call up the kids and let them play, finish out the season, go to the draft with a boatload of 2nd rounders and possibly move up if need be, and get to july and see what happens.

thats the plan that will work.

slats will, of course, do the opposite.

even though im possitive you put his name here just to get a rise out of people and stirr up some *****, he shouldn't be on that list

he's not pending freee agency

his contract is not hurting the team

his play is not hurting the team

and let me guess, we should sign lisin for next season, right?

offdacrossbar 02-16-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullichicken25 (Post 23936879)
even though im possitive you put his name here just to get a rise out of people and stirr up some *****, he shouldn't be on that list

he's not pending freee agency

his contract is not hurting the team

his play is not hurting the team

and let me guess, we should sign lisin for next season, right?

he has value and could bring us back something we need

a young scorer

move him in the right deal.

SML 02-16-2010 08:33 AM

This team is like a never ending toilet flush. We never have the patience to wait for our kids to become "Proven" scorers, so we always unload them for the proven guys. Except the proven guys are usually past their prime and already had their best season, so we're really getting depreciating assets for young players on the rise. Sound Strategy.

Bleed Ranger Blue 02-16-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBear86 (Post 23936474)
You just can't give away Prospal. One of the very few who actually show some PASSION and moreover, are able to be effektive.

I couldnt disagree more. If we are selling, and we should be, Prospal is the ideal person to go.

Hes not coming back for 1.15 million and with Dominic Moore and Matt Cullen returning 2nd round picks, I bet we could get a first for Vinny.

I love the guy too, but considering his age, his cap hit, and our situation, it would be wise to unload him.

mullichicken25 02-16-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offdacrossbar (Post 23936900)
he has value and could bring us back something we need

a young scorer

move him in the right deal.

i feel like teams would want him as part of a package for a verteran

thats something i don't see happening at the deadline without giving up picks/prospects in the process

so i dont see us getting much of an improvement over dubinsky without sacraficing a lot of our future

mullichicken25 02-16-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 23936997)
I couldnt disagree more. If we are selling, and we should be, Prospal is the ideal person to go.

Hes not coming back for 1.15 million and with Dominic Moore and Matt Cullen returning 2nd round picks, I bet we could get a first for Vinny.

I love the guy too, but considering his age, his cap hit, and our situation, it would be wise to unload him.

agreed, and if he's happy here theres no reason he wouldn't try to sign with the rangers in the offseason

the guys been bustin his nuts out there all season....id love to see him get a ring with us getting a 1st in the process

offdacrossbar 02-16-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullichicken25 (Post 23937063)
i feel like teams would want him as part of a package for a verteran

thats something i don't see happening at the deadline without giving up picks/prospects in the process

so i dont see us getting much of an improvement over dubinsky without sacraficing a lot of our future

rather than try to pawn our garbage off and get back garbage in return, we need to realize that you need to give something to get something back.

dubi is that guy.

he held out so there that latent anger still there i believe

he was mentioned in deals over the summer so hes been in play before

his name is always brought up now, so hes in play again now i believe

he got paid this year to produce and inspite of prime time minutes, really hasnt

there are some under rumblings of his maturity level

he lacks top end offensive ability and his hockey iq is average

he seems to be another 3rd liner/ 2nd liner who has 40 point potential. thats not gonna cut it when we already have ryan callahan who is a better player than dubi right now.

hes a 3c really and we have dreary already and arty and now with ec playing well, dubi is expendable. not to mention stepan 1-2 yrs away perhaps.

hes really the only guy who we could package say with girardi or rozy and maybe sangunetti to attract a team to move a young power forward type.

hes in play and he has value. if it will make us better in the future, you gotta do it.

Bleed Ranger Blue 02-16-2010 08:51 AM

Lundqvist, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal, and Del Zotto should be part of the solution.

Its counterproductive in my mind to start selling off pieces of the core in an attempt to improve a cap****ed team. Show some patience, unload toxic contracts when you can, and build around this solid group, none of whom is older than 27.

offdacrossbar 02-16-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullichicken25 (Post 23937124)
agreed, and if he's happy here theres no reason he wouldn't try to sign with the rangers in the offseason

the guys been bustin his nuts out there all season....id love to see him get a ring with us getting a 1st in the process

would love to see what a package of prospal, dubinsky and sanguinetti would bring us.

then move rozy and jokinen for a couple 2nd rounders.