HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Malek (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=74083)

amonte11 04-26-2004 08:08 PM

Malek
 
Where does the Roman Malek situation stand? Are we going to get him in the states anytime soon?

Brad* 04-26-2004 08:12 PM

I think he becomes trade bait considering how Antero Niittymaki has played in the AHL, and how Robert Esche is playing in the NHL.

Though, I would like to see Burke out of here and Niittymaki backing up Esche next season, but I don't think Malek wants to play in the AHL.

flip588 04-26-2004 08:27 PM

I thought I read somewhere that he regretted not signed a deal, even if it meant he had to play in the AHL. Maybe I'm dreaming . . .

RoDu 04-26-2004 10:20 PM

are any of our young goalies ready for the Phantoms yet? I think we should ship Malek off while we can still get somthing for him, we have younger kids emerging here and there, Esche and Nittymaki stopping everything, no room for him

Winston Wolf 04-26-2004 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip588
I thought I read somewhere that he regretted not signed a deal, even if it meant he had to play in the AHL. Maybe I'm dreaming . . .

No, you're correct, he actually did say that.

augster 04-27-2004 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers guy
No, you're correct, he actually did say that.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that

Winston Wolf 04-27-2004 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by augster
Interesting, I hadn't heard that

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=45993
It talks about it in this older thread, but I'm positive I read an article explaining that he regretted not signing a two way contract, but I can't find it. :banghead:

The Seeker 25 04-27-2004 05:02 AM

Malek has to regret it, as I'm sure Clarke has totally broken off talks with his agent after the way Esche and Nittmaki have played.

Malek may have burned his bridges to Philly, but maybe Clarke could deal his rights. I just don't know how much of a market there will be for him, as most team's goaltending appears to be steady, with decent prospects waiting in the wings.

Pantokrator 04-27-2004 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Seeker 25
Malek has to regret it, as I'm sure Clarke has totally broken off talks with his agent after the way Esche and Nittmaki have played.

Malek may have burned his bridges to Philly, but maybe Clarke could deal his rights. I just don't know how much of a market there will be for him, as most team's goaltending appears to be steady, with decent prospects waiting in the wings.

If he is willing to sign a two-way contract, I say bring him over to see what he has. It could go two ways (no duh!): Either he comes over and is great, giving us a good goal-tending controversy, or he stinks and we get nothing for him in a trade. We could trade him now and get a draft pick, I guess a mid-rounder, but I always fear a Hasek situation where a trade happens with a player who never really had a chance and then they go off and are phenomenal (like Martin St. Louis too). I know this rarely happens, but I don't want to be the team that traded away "one of the greatest goalies ever". Hence, sign him, play him, then make a decision.

GKJ 04-27-2004 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Seeker 25
Malek has to regret it, as I'm sure Clarke has totally broken off talks with his agent after the way Esche and Nittmaki have played.

Malek may have burned his bridges to Philly, but maybe Clarke could deal his rights. I just don't know how much of a market there will be for him, as most team's goaltending appears to be steady, with decent prospects waiting in the wings.

Florida could be a good spot. Yes they have Luongo, but after that it is a journeyman backup and less-than-stellar goalie prospect. They have room for goalies to be had.

The Islanders and St. Louis are other possible destinations.

Steve L* 04-27-2004 08:34 AM

If Burke doesnt resign, bring him over and let him and Niity battle it out to be backup to Esche.

rework 04-27-2004 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
If Burke doesnt resign, bring him over and let him and Niity battle it out to be backup to Esche.

Do you really think there is any chance Burke won't take that $4.25 M player option he has?
I don't. We can safely expect Burke to be back next year... Whether we want him or not...

Steve L* 04-27-2004 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rework
Do you really think there is any chance Burke won't take that $4.25 M player option he has?
I don't. We can safely expect Burke to be back next year... Whether we want him or not...

It depends, he may not like the abuse from Philly fans, he may have not even sold his home in Phoenix and want to go back there.

I think he will take it but I *really* hope he doesnt. Maybe Clarke can try and let slip that hes going to take the $4.75m option and Burke figures he wont take his and will get the extra $1/2m but Clarke was just bluffing.

Well I can dream, cant I?

Golbez 04-28-2004 08:59 PM

Malek will take the guaranteed $$ and prestige of a job with a Russian team (which he's already committed too) and will not likely want to go to North America with no guarantees. Plus, playing in North America would mean a loss of his national team status for the most part. It's a shame, b/c my hometown Canucks could use a real goaltender...

RoDu 04-28-2004 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golbez
Malek will take the guaranteed $$ and prestige of a job with a Russian team (which he's already committed too) and will not likely want to go to North America with no guarantees. Plus, playing in North America would mean a loss of his national team status for the most part. It's a shame, b/c my hometown Canucks could use a real goaltender...

just for fun, what would you offer for the guy?

Rex88 04-28-2004 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golbez
Malek will take the guaranteed $$ and prestige of a job with a Russian team (which he's already committed too) and will not likely want to go to North America with no guarantees. Plus, playing in North America would mean a loss of his national team status for the most part. It's a shame, b/c my hometown Canucks could use a real goaltender...

I agree with your post - but I think you mean the Czech league?

Golbez 04-29-2004 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex88
I agree with your post - but I think you mean the Czech league?

No, I mean the Russian League... the oil barons pay big $$ for good talent. Jiri Slegr made $1,000,000 US to play about a dozen games (not to mention the tax advantages). I'm not sure of his status, but he was negotiating with Novokuznec(sp) last I heard.

The Canucks can offer Brent Sopel for Malek...please, take him! :)

SaveByHexy 04-29-2004 12:48 AM

What's with the anti-Burke movement? The guy is the backup (despite what Barry Melrose will tell you), he played well towards the end of the year, and he and Esche are real good friends. Why not keep a backup who is reliable and your best friend, instead of making Niittymaki the backup. If Esche plays a bad game or two, everyone will be clamoring for Niittymaki to play, because they were enamored with his 3 game stretch of good hockey this year. For Esche's sake, I say keep Burke.

Plus, Burke is like 38, he'll retire in a few seasons. You make it sound like we're stuck with him for 10 years.

Pantokrator 04-29-2004 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
just for fun, what would you offer for the guy?


I'd offer a 3rd round pick if I were a team looking to take a chance.

Yertle The Turtle 04-29-2004 02:25 PM

i think we should sign him and give him limited play in the ahl to show teams how he can play.

Yertle The Turtle 04-29-2004 02:27 PM

he did say he regreted not signing with the flyers to play in the ahl righ :dunno: t?

Rex88 04-29-2004 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golbez
No, I mean the Russian League... the oil barons pay big $$ for good talent. Jiri Slegr made $1,000,000 US to play about a dozen games (not to mention the tax advantages). I'm not sure of his status, but he was negotiating with Novokuznec(sp) last I heard.

The Canucks can offer Brent Sopel for Malek...please, take him! :)

Thanks, I had not heard that. I would do that swap in a heartbeat by the way.

Rex88 04-29-2004 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfreak941
i think we should sign him and give him limited play in the ahl to show teams how he can play.

The problem was he would not take a two way contract. Wanted NHL or nothing.
Not to mention he is in a league of men - not the NA rink but a very solid league and his play should translate well over here as well - ala Roman Cech who was in the same league and had similar numbers.

Peter Griffin 04-30-2004 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex88
Thanks, I had not heard that. I would do that swap in a heartbeat by the way.

Canucks wouldn't though. ;)

Pantokrator 05-03-2004 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfreak941
i think we should sign him and give him limited play in the ahl to show teams how he can play.

ThAt's what I would do, if he would agree to a two-way contract.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.