HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   if we dont advance (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=74123)

Artyukhin* 04-27-2004 12:08 AM

if we dont advance

look who else itsnt goin thru either...some pretty higyh payroll club who are good teams..so for us to make it just as far with a 45 million dollar payroll has to say something..all these team finnished ahead of us this year..

colorado avalance...massive payroll
toronto..(haha) massive payroll(just think are guys will go golfin after the playoffs ,and toronto's guys will go to the retirement home..lol)..j/k :joker:
ottawa
boston
new jersey
dallas massive payroll

the sharks and lightening are for real...there not they deserve to ovbiously be here..it was a fluke they finished where they both did..

all these team finished ahead of us this year...like i said if it doesnt work out in this series ,im happy to say we were not the first team on the golf course..playoff hockey in montreal will be a house hold word for many ,many years to come..this team will be one of the "sickest" teams in the leauge in 2 years ...

all the best

hey if we get struck by lightening and dont maker thru to the next round..im more than happy with how far we made it into the playoffs...

Tuggy 04-27-2004 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie

the sharks and lightening are for real...there not they deserve to ovbiously be here..it was a fluke they finished where they both did..

This doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me but I disagree with you when you said that it was a fluke where they finished. Its not always $$$ that gets you results. Both those teams are very well coached, hard working and have great goaltending. No fluke in my books.

Mike8 04-27-2004 12:28 AM

Tampa and San Jose aren't flukes, but they're teams that have caught a whole lot of breaks and won't continue at their current pace in my opinion. At least not the next two seasons.

tritone 04-27-2004 03:11 AM

Regardless of other teams, I stand proud as a Habs fan . We took out the Bruins and already surpassed all my expectations. Everything else was icing on the cake.
GO HABS GO!!!!

Tuggy 04-27-2004 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tritone
Regardless of other teams, I stand proud as a Habs fan . We took out the Bruins and already surpassed all my expectations. Everything else was icing on the cake.
GO HABS GO!!!!

It's hard to disagree with that. I am extremely proud of the way this team has come together and played this season. Its great to see some very promising youngsters showing their stuff this season(Ryder, Ribeiro, Komisarek to name a few). The future is definately a lot brighter now then it was say 3 years ago. And guys like Perezhogin and Higgins waiting in the wings. :D

tritone 04-27-2004 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy
It's hard to disagree with that. I am extremely proud of the way this team has come together and played this season. Its great to see some very promising youngsters showing their stuff this season(Ryder, Ribeiro, Komisarek to name a few). The future is definately a lot brighter now then it was say 3 years ago. And guys like Perezhogin and Higgins waiting in the wings. :D

The future's so bright we gotta wear shades!

felixd 04-27-2004 06:03 AM

Toronto's not out yet, but no matter who wins that series, a team with a 50 million + payroll is going home.

What about Detroit? Any of you think Calgary have a chance?

Munchausen 04-27-2004 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tritone
GO HABS GO!!!!

Yeah but I like icing so much! :cry:

:D

Habs 04-27-2004 10:21 AM

Quote:

Please explain how these teams are a 'fluke'?

Rahan 04-27-2004 02:52 PM

San Jose is the kind of team we'll be next year or the other one. I can't wait.
San Jose is a great team guys.. it's the one I cheer for out of the Habs, because they have Damphousse (he's been my favorite player for since I watch hockey), but also because they're like us, playing with heart, beating teams with bigger names than them, etc.

Capitano 04-27-2004 03:22 PM

Well tonight it's do or die obviously. Either way though, like everybody has pretty much stated, we beat Boston and MAN did that feel good :) Ontop of that we weren't expected to do anything this year and at least we got some fantastic playoff experience for our players.

I'm still not counting us out in this series though, we will go back to Tampa 2-2.

Cap

BruinsGirl 04-27-2004 03:25 PM

Quote:

look who else itsnt goin thru either...some pretty higyh payroll club who are good teams..so for us to make it just as far with a 45 million dollar payroll has to say something..all these team finnished ahead of us this year..

colorado avalance...massive payroll
toronto..(haha) massive payroll(just think are guys will go golfin after the playoffs ,and toronto's guys will go to the retirement home..lol)..j/k :joker:
ottawa
boston
new jersey
dallas massive payroll

B's had equal or less payrol this year. (i think it's less)

BJCOLLINS 04-27-2004 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahan
San Jose is the kind of team we'll be next year or the other one. I can't wait.
San Jose is a great team guys.. it's the one I cheer for out of the Habs, because they have Damphousse (he's been my favorite player for since I watch hockey), but also because they're like us, playing with heart, beating teams with bigger names than them, etc.

San Jose has 13 1st round picks in their lineup with big strong d-men and solid heart & soul players all thru the lineup........we are further than one year away from that teams outlook.

English Hab 04-27-2004 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
Yeah but I like icing so much! :cry:

:D

Yeah Munchausen... whos says we've finished making cake?????? EXACTLY!!!! ;)

English Hab 04-27-2004 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS
San Jose has 13 1st round picks in their lineup with big strong d-men and solid heart & soul players all thru the lineup........we are further than one year away from that teams outlook.

Not too poop on your comment.. but heres 13 1st rounders for you....

Alex Buturlin '99
MAtt Higgins '96
Terry Ryan '95
Eric Choiunard '98
Brad Brown '94
David wilkie '92
Brent Bilodeau '91
Lindasy Vallis '89
Eric Charron '88
Mark Pederson '86
Tom Chorske '85
Jose Charbonneau '85..

Okay just 12 then.. But still 1st rounders don't equal success.. look at Hossa and Hainsey... still not with us... But Yes i do agree that San jose have got a good team.... though i don't think we're that far away from them....

BJCOLLINS 04-27-2004 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by English Hab
Not too poop on your comment.. but heres 13 1st rounders for you....

Alex Buturlin '99
MAtt Higgins '96
Terry Ryan '95
Eric Choiunard '98
Brad Brown '94
David wilkie '92
Brent Bilodeau '91
Lindasy Vallis '89
Eric Charron '88
Mark Pederson '86
Tom Chorske '85
Jose Charbonneau '85..

Okay just 12 then.. But still 1st rounders don't equal success.. look at Hossa and Hainsey... still not with us... But Yes i do agree that San jose have got a good team.... though i don't think we're that far away from them....

sorry but IMHO 1st rounders obviously equal success for SJ.........note that not all of the 1st rounders were SJ property but aquired thru trades = good GM......I do see what you are getting at but our selection of picks has been putrid at best = bad GM........SJ looks like they will be a good team for some time VS the Habs and we will be a good team in some time.

felixd 04-27-2004 05:25 PM

Alex Buturlin was a 2nd round draft pick. That was the year we gave a 1st for Linden.

Mike8 04-28-2004 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS

We'll see next year. My guess: SJ struggles to make the playoffs.

Yeah, they play a great system right now. As did Anaheim last year. And Carolina a few years ago. There's a few real high quality defensemen there (namely Rathje, Hannan and McLaren). But the offensive depth is just abysmal. The defensive depth with players like Marshall isn't a whole lot better.

Right now San Jose's riding a hot goalie and playing an excellent system with a whole lot of confidence. They're overachieving.

Tampa Bay's in a similar boat.

Both teams are getting every break they need to win. That's wonderful. Both organizations are deserving. Both teams have solid foundations and could be very good teams in the future if the right moves are made. But as it stands they're playing well above their heads and will be back to reality next year in my opinion.

Tuggy 04-28-2004 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8

Right now San Jose's riding a hot goalie and playing an excellent system with a whole lot of confidence. They're overachieving.

I still can't see where people are making this assumption. The Sharks are not just "riding" a hot goalie. They finished second in the Western and third in the NHL. Far crys from what the Ducks and Canes did.

Also they are more then just a good system. They have a great blueline and depth up front. As someone mentioned they have 13 first round picks in their lineup. Their success has come from building through the draft and making smart deals.

AND they have done this well in the playoffs without Sturm or McCauley. AND Scott Thornton just last game very early.

Of course right now it's all "ifs" but I think the Sharks are going to be a mainstay atop the Western Conference.

Parrothead 04-28-2004 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8

Tampa Bay's in a similar boat.

I would disagree with the assertion that San Jose is over-achieving. You gotta remember, San Jose managed only four (4) wins in their first twenty (20) games.
Since that time (late November) they've gone 39 wins, 12 losses, 5 ties and 6 OT losses.

That's pretty consistent hockey if'n you ask me. Without a doubt, they're coming outta the west and will more than likely take the Cup (which is a shame because it should NEVER be south of the border!!!!!!!

s7ark 04-28-2004 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by English Hab
Okay just 12 then.. But still 1st rounders don't equal success...

You know who's scary to look at? Ottawa. No digs about how they got beaten by the Leafs... they're an awesome team. Look at some of their first round picks:
http://www.ottawasenators.com/team/e...ns-alltime.aro
Even the big name first rounders they don't have anymore turned into Redden, Chara and a shot at Spezza. Funny what you can do with four or five top 3 picks!

Mike8 04-28-2004 07:47 AM

Quote:

I still can't see where people are making this assumption. The Sharks are not just "riding" a hot goalie. They finished second in the Western and third in the NHL. Far crys from what the Ducks and Canes did.

Not exactly. Anaheim was phenominal in the second half of the season. I believe they were the best team in the league by a wide margin. Anyhow, regular season means very little. You can have a team that catches a lot of breaks and overachives the entire year, then breaks down and plays to their level in future seasons.

Quote:

Also they are more then just a good system. They have a great blueline and depth up front. As someone mentioned they have 13 first round picks in their lineup. Their success has come from building through the draft and making smart deals.

I like their blueline with Rathje, Hannan and McLaren leading the way. Stuart and Preissing are also both great younger defensemen. I think highly of Ehrhoff, but Marshall's stepped in and played their system better.

But in order to be a legitimate contender the team needs some offense. And I don't see it in San Jose. It gets very thin after Marleau.

Cheechoo is fun, Damphousse a seasoned vet, McCauley and Sturm are excellent two-way players, and Dimitrakos I've always thought had tremendous potential, but none of them are offensive catalysts. Marleau's the only catalyst offensively. That isn't enough to make a team a consistent contender.

We're starting to see several teams each season that get a hot goalie, get a system that works with their roster, and the team's confidence grows the rest of the way. Then in the playoffs they wreak some havoc, and like clockwork: fall back to earth the next season. It doesn't mean it was a fluke necessarily. San Jose's got a talented group. It just means they played above themselves for a long period of time, got the right breaks and their confidence grew.

Tell me: do you think Calgary will be anywhere near as good next season as they were this season and playoffs?

DMXATF23 04-28-2004 07:52 AM

Im just amazed by the denial that exists on this forum. The Lightning are a fluke and/or can't continue their success next year, right? So what makes you guys posture that the Candiens will not be the same thing?

-chris

Mike8 04-28-2004 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMXATF23
Im just amazed by the denial that exists on this forum. The Lightning are a fluke and/or can't continue their success next year, right? So what makes you guys posture that the Candiens will not be the same thing?

-chris

Denial has nothing to do with my opinions. I don't think the Canadiens will necessarily be all that great either.

Most Hab fans tend to believe the Lightning are a great team. Take a look at this thread and most others on this forum about the team. Frankly, I'm amazed by the fact that you'd presume that just because a loudmouth like me believes the Lightning aren't all that hot of an organization that every other Hab fan agrees with me (which isn't the case!). :D

And my opinion is not that the Lightning are a miserable franchise that is overachieving. This is a team I know quite well from attending their training camps in previous years and knowing their system fairly well. I think very highly of Richards, Lecavalier, St.Louis and Afanasenkov (one of my favourite prospects in recent years).

There's a lot of quality on this team and I like how the team is built based on speed, tenacity and quick transition. It's a winning formula, especially in an NHL looking to change its image. In fact, if the NHL enforces obstruction as they've began to do with a little more regularity, Tampa Bay could very well be the team representing the future of the NHL with its speed and high-tempo style of hockey.

However--and this will be unpopular with the Lightning fans--I feel Tampa's defense is grossly overachieving. This is a fairly miserable defense in my opinion. Aside from Kubina and Cullimore who have both developed and taken a step forward in their games, the team struggles mightily in down low coverage. A team that cycles better than Montreal or NYI would expose the Lightning down low in my opinion, and we've seen bits of how that can happen in Game Three when Montreal got going.

What worries me most about Tampa's defense is that there's not a heck of a lot in the system that can help the defense any time soon.

On the flip side, Tampa's forwards are excellent at collapsing and supporting their defense. Since they're quick on transition offense the forwards can force the opposition defense to play it safe and not pinch in which does hinder the cycle game.

If you disagree, that's perfectly fine. But don't think this opinion is tainted by bias from the current series. :D