HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Conference Finals: Detroit or Calgary? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=74131)

Spacemania 04-27-2004 12:52 AM

Conference Finals: Detroit or Calgary?

Seeing that the Sharks got this wraped up and will be in their first Conference finals (unless the Avs pull off a comeback almost a great as the Sharks had all year long), Who do you want to see paired up against the Sharks?

Red Wings: #1 team overall if you go by the regular season point total. They have a dominating team like Colorado but are a cut better. If the Sharks want to truely prove themselves cup worthy, a win over Detroit would cement that fact. If the Sharks could overcome Detroit, they most certainly could overcome any of the Eastern Conference teams.

Calgary: #6 seed in the Conference and is a team that is trying to do what the Sharks are doing, but without the offencive firepower as the Sharks. This would certainly make for a better rivalry, and a better game. It would come down to a lot of one on one battles. Daryel Sutter vs Ron Wilson, with Sutter trying to one up his former club and Ron trying to prove he's got the magic. Nabokov vs Kippersoff, Master vs student. Both trying to prove that there better than the other, with the Kipper trying to show up his own former club. Jarome Iginla vs Patrick Mearleau, Captin vs Captin, both having an awsome season, both trying to carry their team to the top. These teams would make games to be remembered.

Either way, both teams are very capable of putting the Sharks out and give a good run for our money. More importantly, we'd see some good old fashoned "Sharks Hockey" that is finally getting the recognition that it deserves.

Personally though, I wanna see San Jose Vs Calgary. I wanna see how well Kippersoff and Sutter really is against their old team ;)

mage23 04-27-2004 01:35 AM

Should the Sharks make it to the Western Conference Finals, I think the Sharks could make it past either team if they keep playing like this and get some guys healthy... but I'd rather see them go through Detroit for the legitimacy issue you mentioned, plus I think Detroit wouldn't be as physical in the series.

No doubt the Wings have a more balanced scoring attack, but I think they also have some slow players (both up front and on D) that could be exploited.

Of course, if Calgary gets by Detroit, the Sharks have home ice... and I certainly wouldn't complain about that either -- though I think it's almost easier to be the road team since you can feel good leaving the higher seed's city with one win in the first two.... course, the Sharks are also 5-0 at home... so they haven't had any problems taking care of those important first two games :)

So, what am I saying? I have no clue. I'd love to see the conference finals in SJ either way :)

Mr Brownstone 04-27-2004 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacemania
Seeing that the Sharks got this wraped up and will be in their first Conference finals (unless the Avs pull off a comeback almost a great as the Sharks had all year long), Who do you want to see paired up against the Sharks?

Don't count your chickens yet man. They've still got one more game to win.

I'd like to see Calgary in there, just for the fact that it would be a new face for the postseason. I'm feeling it will be Detroit however. I think San Jose matches up better with Detroit because they can exploit their veterans with the speed that SJ has. Calgary loves to hit and grind and that would play against SJ's style.

NEOhioHockeyFan 04-27-2004 07:12 AM

Interesting fact...

"Only two clubs in NHL history have come back from 3-0 deficits (Toronto against Detroit in 1942 and the New York Islanders against Pittsburgh in 1975)".

That being said, I think it's pretty unlikely the Sharks are going to lose and hopefully they can take it in 4. I think Colorado's spirit is pretty much crushed. They have always been a contender and they're being knocked out of the race by some "upstarts". I think they're going to be desperate next game and if the Sharks can capitalize on that, we can force them into a lot of mistakes and use that to our advantage.

As for a conference opponent, I'm kinda mixed. On the one hand, I think we would have our work cut out for us with Detroit. If they do win, they'll be hurting after playing Calgary. It would be great to play and eliminate a big time team like that. On the other hand, I think it would be a much more exciting series playing Calgary... more evenly matched.. excellent goaltending... the past history. Would be pretty cool, but a tougher series I think.. 6 or 7 games.

After that... how sweet would a Tampa Bay - San Jose final be? To me the best thing about it would be that all these "great" teams that everyone (esp. Barry Melrose) predicted to win... are gone. I mean that guy had his lips permanently attached to Brodour's butt all season long. I think that final would be much like a Calgary series, pretty touch, but definitely entertaining. Anyway, just my thoughts.

landshark 04-27-2004 07:45 AM

I think it's a win-win situation either way. Detroit is the old guard, an all-star/hall of fame laden team. Facing them in the Conference Finals would be great. After St. Louis and then the Avs, beating Detroit and passing the final test to win the west would be quite a coup for the Sharks after last years rebuild. Calgary on the other hand, would keep the Sharks on home ice as well as have Sutter v. Wilson and Nabby v. Kipper. I'll just be happy that the Sharks finally made it to the conference finals. Too bad Lombo didn't get a GM job with Calgary. heh.
:jump:

Strizzi 04-27-2004 07:50 AM

A win against Detroit would certainly bring more credibility than a win against Calgary. Otherwise people could come and say that Calgary already did the hard work, but was just tired when facing the Sharks yadayadayada... (all provided that the Sharks would come so far of course).

But it's hard to say which series would be thougher, as many of us seem to have been pretty far off with our pessimism regarding the Avs already.

Spacemania 04-27-2004 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLBaronsFan

how sweet would a Tampa Bay - San Jose final be? To me the best thing about it would be that all these "great" teams that everyone (esp. Barry Melrose) predicted to win... are gone. I mean that guy had his lips permanently attached to Brodour's butt all season long. I think that final would be much like a Calgary series, pretty touch, but definitely entertaining. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Agreed! I thought about that myself. Don't it seem Tampa and Shaks had a simular path? Both fairly new teams, arround the same age, and had a horribly terrible first few years? I mean, it seemed like only yesterday that Tampa was the team you'd think would never amount to anything, just like how much of the NHL viewed the Sharks - untill now. Having a pairing of two teams who "shouldn't" be in the finals, with such a history, would make for quite the game. The goalie matchups would just be awsome on its own ^^

but as for me saying that the Sharks got this one wraped up, I'll just note that I'm well aware that the game ain't over till it's over. Hence the disclaimer at the top :p However history simply does not favor teams that are down 3-0... but then again, The Avs still got bite. Game 4 will either be the hardest game for the Sharks to win, or the easiest. It all depends on how Granato (Or Granola as they like to call him on the Avs forum XD) responds.

agentfouser 04-27-2004 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLBaronsFan
That being said, I think it's pretty unlikely the Sharks are going to lose and hopefully they can take it in 4. I think Colorado's spirit is pretty much crushed. They have always been a contender and they're being knocked out of the race by some "upstarts". I think they're going to be desperate next game and if the Sharks can capitalize on that, we can force them into a lot of mistakes and use that to our advantage.

After that... how sweet would a Tampa Bay - San Jose final be? To me the best thing about it would be that all these "great" teams that everyone (esp. Barry Melrose) predicted to win... are gone. I mean that guy had his lips permanently attached to Brodour's butt all season long. I think that final would be much like a Calgary series, pretty touch, but definitely entertaining. Anyway, just my thoughts.

colorado was desperate last game and it got them nowhere. by the end of the game they were disorganized and basically in shambles. the only way that series is extended is if the sharks don't show up to game 4.

as for the conference finals, what great discussion, all things i was thinking of yesterday evening. this season really seems like it may be a watershed moment for the league as the young teams begin to truly contend with, and defeat, the old guard. nashville gave a great account of themselves, calgary, even if they lose to detroit, has done the same, and san jose has destroyed two of the best western conference teams of the last 5 + years. with that in mind, i would love for calgary to beat detroit, both to complete the defeats of the traditional top teams and because sharks v flames would be such an intense matchup. however, i am skeptical, detroit is by far the toughest of the powerhouse western teams, and its no surprise that they're still around. my guess is that it will be a san jose v detroit conference finals - and i'm hoping for a repeat of 1994.

as for tampa bay v san jose in the finals, that would be tremendous, and a great thing for hockey.

VP and GM 04-29-2004 12:06 AM

I'm rooting for the Flames over Det. The Wings are looking their age and I like to
see the underdog do well against a top team - so long as it's not the sharks.