HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   How did you decide left or right stick handed? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=741758)

SpringfieldSkins 02-22-2010 07:39 PM

How did you decide left or right stick handed?

I'm going to start playing hockey in a novice league soon. It's something I've always wanted to do but never had the means to do it. I am now financially stable enough to play hockey. I've been skating since I was very young, so my skating technique is pretty sound. I can go forwards, backwords, turn in both directions and hockey stop on a dime with my right foot forward (need some improvement with my left foot forward). For a novice league, I think my skating will probably be better than most.

I bought some skates and the rest of my equipment will come soon. My main problem is deciding whether I should shoot lefty or righty. It's a huge conundrum to me.

I am right handed. Every sport I've played, I've done it right handed. Logic says I should play hockey right handed. The problem is, I've always (meaning: dating back to childhood) seen myself playing hockey left handed. I've always held a hockey stick left handed and it feels more natural controlling the stick with the right hand at the top and rolling the left hand around.

Any advice? Should I buy both and see what one feels better or is more effective?

CanadaBacon 02-22-2010 07:43 PM

I just thought shooting right felt better, that is just a guess because i was 4 and i honestly have no idea. It could have been cuz i only had a right handed stick.

What ever feels "right" to you i guess

Skraut 02-22-2010 07:46 PM

I'm very right hand dominant, play golf, tennis, archery everything right handed.

except I play hockey left handed. Why, I like my right hand at the base of my stick. Like you, I just recently started, and how I picked was I went to the NHL hall of fame on a trip to Toronto, an they had an area where you could shoot on synthetic ice. It was dead the day I went there and I spent about 2 hours playing around with all the sample sticks they had. Left just felt "right"

However I play on an beginner hockey team, everybody says they are right handed, and they all shoot right. I'm the only "lefty" on the team.

sillygoose 02-22-2010 07:46 PM

if your right handed, it might be better to shoot lefty, because then your power will come from your top hand, and generally your right arm will be stronger. but i started around 4-5 and my dad bought a stick that had a straight blade, i went to right handed, how i swing a baseball bat.

Reverend Mayhem 02-22-2010 07:54 PM

I read that the right way to shoot for Americans, or the way most of them do it anyway, is right-handed shoot right and left-handed shoot left. But if the way you shoot is left and is comfortable for you then do it, otherwise just go with both and see what the better shot is!

The way I learnt to shoot was because I like to handle the puck, so my dominant hand is on the bottom for more control and comfort. That way I became the more unpopular way to shoot for Canadians, right-handed shooting right.

Anyways, bro it's all about what is comfortable for you. The logical choice is right-handed but if you are comfortable left, that's the way it is. As I mentioned before, try both and the better shot wins out! Have fun playing the best sport in the world!

Gino 14 02-22-2010 07:54 PM

How do you use a shovel? I felt more comfortable with my right hand on top and that's what felt best for hockey. With 6 horses to take care of, I get plenty of shovel work.

CanadaBacon 02-22-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem (Post 24059495)
I read that the right way to shoot for Americans, or the way most of them do it anyway, is right-handed shoot right and left-handed shoot left. But if the way you shoot is left and is comfortable for you then do it, otherwise just go with both and see what the better shot is!

The way I learnt to shoot was because I like to handle the puck, so my dominant hand is on the bottom for more control and comfort. That way I became the more unpopular way to shoot for Canadians, right-handed shooting right.

Anyways, bro it's all about what is comfortable for you. The logical choice is right-handed but if you are comfortable left, that's the way it is. As I mentioned before, try both and the better shot wins out! Have fun playing the best sport in the world!

I dont know man, i think there are tons more righthanders shooting right then left.

SpringfieldSkins 02-22-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 24059504)
How do you use a shovel? I felt more comfortable with my right hand on top and that's what felt best for hockey. With 6 horses to take care of, I get plenty of shovel work.

I never thought about it this way but that is a great bit of advice.

I hold a shovel like a lefty. Right hand at the top and left hand on the shaft. With all the snow we got in DC this year, my shoveling technique is top notch.

I get the point about having more control with the right hand on the shaft. What makes me think the lefty style is better for me is that I'll be able to have better stick position with my right hand up top.

quoth the Raven 02-22-2010 08:08 PM

I'm confused... I play with my right hand on the bottom, my left at top. Am I playing righty or lefty?

EDIT: I think I'm playing righty. I shoot pool this way too... holding the stick in my left hand and propping it up with my right, which is weird because my left hand is otherwise useless to me, I feel like it's so weak.

CanadaBacon 02-22-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 (Post 24059691)
I'm confused... I play with my right hand on the bottom, my left at top. Am I playing righty or lefty?

EDIT: I think I'm playing righty. I shoot pool this way too... holding the stick in my left hand and propping it up with my right, which is weird because my left hand is otherwise useless to me, I feel like it's so weak.

righty

SpringfieldSkins 02-22-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 (Post 24059691)

You are playing righty.

quoth the Raven 02-22-2010 08:21 PM

Awesome, thanks guys. Is this not the recommended way for right-handed people? I read online that your dominant hand should go on top, but holding the stick that way feels so unnatural.

BadHammy* 02-22-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 24059522)
I dont know man, i think there are tons more righthanders shooting right then left.

Honestly, that's because of ignorance in the United States, generated by those with limited knowledge who only played baseball thinking hockey is the same. Consequently, many beginners grip a hockey stick the same way as a baseball bat:help: Point being, most right handed people I've presented with the choice when they begin hockey, without anyone suggesting it to them (I hand them both side sticks and they choose), pick a "LH" stick. Right hand on top makes sense for probably 60-70% of right handed people. The huge misnomer is that people assume players "who have their dominant hand down low will shoot harder" just shows a lack of hockey understanding. Hands don't generate real shooting power, proper weight transfer does. However, I have consistently seen that beginner adults who use their dominant hand on top are substantially more proficient stick handlers.

Keep in mind this is NOT true of ALL people, it's just a bit of a majority. There are many "right handed" people who were naturally born left hand dominant and forced to use their right hand in daily life, I've encountered many of these people and they feel more comfortable using "RH" sticks, and I think it's a good idea. The bottom line is try out both with a clear mind and decide.

CanadaBacon 02-22-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donGjohnson (Post 24059902)
Honestly, that's because of ignorance in the United States, generated by morons who only played baseball thinking hockey is the same. Consequently, many beginners grip a hockey stick the same way as a baseball bat:help: Point being, most right handed people I've presented with the choice when they begin hockey, without anyone suggesting it to them, pick a "LH" stick. Right hand on top makes sense for probably 70% of right handed people. The huge misnomer is that people assume people who have their dominant hand on top just shows a lack of hockey understanding. Hands don't generate real shooting power, proper weight transfer does.

I have never thought about the why's and what not, i just notice a lot more righties then lefties.

SpringfieldSkins 02-22-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 (Post 24059893)
Awesome, thanks guys. Is this not the recommended way for right-handed people? I read online that your dominant hand should go on top, but holding the stick that way feels so unnatural.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donGjohnson (Post 24059902)
Honestly, that's because of ignorance in the United States, generated by morons who only played baseball thinking hockey is the same. Consequently, many beginners grip a hockey stick the same way as a baseball bat:help: Point being, most right handed people I've presented with the choice when they begin hockey, without anyone suggesting it to them (I hand them both side sticks and they choose), pick a "LH" stick. Right hand on top makes sense for probably 70% of right handed people. The huge misnomer is that people assume players "who have their dominant hand down low will shoot harder" just shows a lack of hockey understanding. Hands don't generate real shooting power, proper weight transfer does. However, I have consistently seen that beginner adults who use their dominant hand on top are substantially more proficient stick handlers.

Keep in mind this is NOT true of ALL people, it's just a bit of a majority. There are many "right handed" people who were naturally born left hand dominant and forced to use their right hand in daily life, I've encountered many of these people and they feel more comfortable using "RH" sticks, and I think it's a good idea. The bottom line is try out both with a clear mind and decide.

I always assumed that righties played right because you'd have more puck control with the right hand on the bottom. I never thought about generating shot power. Playing lefty for me was more about what I thought would be natural.

BadHammy* 02-22-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 24059930)
I have never thought about the why's and what not, i just notice a lot more righties then lefties.

Everyone needs to be given a LH and RH stick when they begin and be told to hold it in their hands and try to stick handle with it a little, skate with it, even take a few shots, then decide with no outside influence...

Ozz 02-22-2010 08:30 PM

I'm right dominant and just picked up a RH stick when I was a kid and never gave it a second thought. I can't even imagine shooting lefty.

CanadaBacon 02-22-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donGjohnson (Post 24059989)
Everyone needs to be given a LH and RH stick when they begin and be told to hold it in their hands and try to stick handle with it a little, skate with it, even take a few shots, then decide with no outside influence...

agree with that.

BadHammy* 02-22-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaBacon (Post 24060002)
agree with that.

This is why they should still make plenty of straight sticks... It'd solve the problem instantly.

densetsu 02-22-2010 09:32 PM

At the age of 4 or so, I was given a straight stick and apparently held it left-handed. So when I started organized hockey the next year, I was given a left-handed stick. I'd assume most people who play hockey have had a similar experience.

There are arguments for either way, and there's no "right" stick handedness. What you feel is right, is what's right for you. You may want to just borrow a couple sticks and try them out at an outdoor rink. See what feels more natural to you, and go from there.

blueberrydanish 02-22-2010 09:49 PM

I picked up a stick, bladow I was a righty. Just was comfortable for me when I occasionally picked up a stick as a kid. Now having started to play seriously in my 20s it was an automatic choice, just felt very natural.

Hockeyfan68 02-22-2010 11:24 PM

I firmly believe it isn't a decision .... you should know your hand right away once you try it naturally just like everything else from writing to batting in baseball.

Ti-girl 02-22-2010 11:38 PM

I had a flat blade stick whne I was 3...and then my dad noticed that I shot left.

In my family we have 2 righties, 2 lefties. The people who shoot left are right handed and the people who shoot right are left handed.

Rickety Cricket 02-22-2010 11:48 PM

I'm left handed and it just felt more natural when I started playing

Badger36 02-22-2010 11:52 PM

I play golf right handed, so for me shooting right handed just feels more natural. Ive also found that when shopping for hockey sticks that there is more selection in right handed sticks.