HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Rumor: Gauthier could target Brad Boyes, open to trading Sergei? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=742920)

Galchenyuk27 02-25-2010 04:03 PM

Gauthier could target Brad Boyes, open to trading Sergei?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESPN Insider info, by EJ Hradek
Montreal Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier is reportedly working on a handful of trades that would bring in young talent, not high-priced rentals, the Fourth Period reports.

They are rumored to be looking for a top-six forward and a defenseman, and they're willing to part with Sergei Kostitsyn, Matt D'Agostini and Ben Maxwell.

They could target the Panthers' Nathan Horton or the Blues' Brad Boyes -- both players who are rumored to be on the block -- but there are several options the Habs might take.

The Habs might also trade Jaroslav Halak at the deadline, even though Gauthier insists he's keeping both goalies. However, if Gauthier doesn't want to lose Halak for nothing, he'll have to work the phones and deal his stopper, who is on fire at the Olympics.

Not a good move if you ask me, especially if we give up Sergei, I think Gauthier would be crucified for that.

Thoughts anyone?

Ozymandias 02-25-2010 04:06 PM

This is the part we see that this writer doesn't know jack **** of what he is talking about :

""However, if Gauthier doesn't want to lose Halak for nothing, he'll have to work the phones and deal his stopper, who is on fire at the Olympics.""

Earth to EJ, Halak is RFA, not a UFA.

Maybe he got mistaken with Plex.

Markovskaya 02-25-2010 04:09 PM

It's Doughty we should be after, not Boyles.

JeromeHP 02-25-2010 04:10 PM

i do not want boyes

Bryson 02-25-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markovskaya (Post 24121779)

The article is talking about Brad Boyes the RW attacker from the St. Louis Blues not Dan Boyle the defenseman from the San Jose Sharks. I used to get these two mixed up all the time as well. I'd like Horton, Boyes not so much.

Forsead 02-25-2010 04:17 PM

I would love to see some change at the deadline, but IMO Boyes is not exactly what we need.

SooperSingh 02-25-2010 04:20 PM

I'd rather go after Horton as well, but Boyes will come a lot cheaper than Horton. He's had an off year, but he's not the guy i'd be comfortable going into the playoffs with, regardless the "big body" argument some might make.

Stradale 02-25-2010 04:23 PM

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-A. Kostitsyn

these are pretty much our top 6. I dont see where we could fit Boyes. Of course he will help our scoring but hes gonna play on the 3rd line at 4M$, its gonna be a waste of talent and money.

David Backes on the other hand is exactly what this teams needs but i really dont see why the Blues would trade him.

Mueller could be interesting aswell.

Bryzga lol* 02-25-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 24121746)
This is the part we see that this writer doesn't know jack **** of what he is talking about :

""However, if Gauthier doesn't want to lose Halak for nothing, he'll have to work the phones and deal his stopper, who is on fire at the Olympics.""

Earth to EJ, Halak is RFA, not a UFA.

Could still lose him to an offer sheet. Wouldn't be for nothing though, but if a team with no starter offers him 5m Montreal doesn't match (unless Halak pulls a miracle in the playoffs), and that doesn't get the habs that much compensation (around the same amount the Ducks got for Penner?).

Ozymandias 02-25-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryzga lol (Post 24121984)
Could still lose him to an offer sheet. Wouldn't be for nothing though, but if a team with no starter offers him 5m Montreal doesn't match (unless Halak pulls a miracle in the playoffs), and that doesn't get the habs that much compensation (around the same amount the Ducks got for Penner?).

Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally???????

wow

Optimus Price 02-25-2010 04:28 PM

If we grab Horton or Boyes and their 4 millions caphit, we can kiss Plekanec goodbye.

I'd rather keep Sergei at this point who is picking up his game lately, or offer more to grab Perron out of St. Louis.

Habsfan18 02-25-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markovskaya (Post 24121779)

It's Boyes, not Boyle.

And do you honestly think LA would even consider trading Doughty? Not a chance in hell...

Melvin Udall 02-25-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ (Post 24121705)
Not a good move if you ask me, especially if we give up Sergei, I think Gauthier would be crucified for that.

Thoughts anyone?

Considering that Gauthier gave up a 2nd round pick for Dominick Morre (guys like this are available every July 1st by the truck load - for nothing) - anything seems possible!

:help:

Stradale 02-25-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

If a team is crazy enough to sign Halak at 5$, believe me, Habs will get a good compensation back.

Habsfanatical 02-25-2010 04:33 PM

Amount
Compensation Due

$863,156 or less
None

$863,156 - $1,307,812
3rd round pick

$1,307,812 - $2,615,625
2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,437
1st and 3rd round pick

$3,923,437 - $5,231,249
1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,249 - $6,539,062
Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,062 or more
Four 1st round picks

Theres your comp chart.. 1 - 1st, 1 - 2nd and 1 - 3rd.. Done deal.. where do I sign?

Erik Estrada 02-25-2010 04:34 PM

I like Horton. Boyes? Really depends how much we're giving up...

Forsead 02-25-2010 04:46 PM

Byfuglien, Ott, Bernier, Ladd, Berglund, Backes, Umberger, Hunter, Armstrong, Glencross, Moss, Fehr, Hartnell, Hanzal, Mueller

These players are more in the mold of what we need.

Kriss E 02-25-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

If a team wants to sign Halak to an offersheet of 5M, I think most Habs fans will be ******* in their pants, that includes PG.

I think it would be a big mistake to trade Sergei without having given him a chance to play with his brother. Seriously, I'd be really disappointed. These two are made to play together and if Martin wasn't our coach I'm sure they would have started the season along side Plekanec and they'd have much better seasons.

maci4life 02-25-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 24122013)
Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally???????

wow

You're mocking him, yet you're the one in the wrong.

NewHabsEra* 02-25-2010 04:48 PM

I dont know if there is any thruth in this but I remember Cammalleri and Boyes having some incredible chimestry togheter at the WJC years ago.. It has been a long time but you never know, it could be a nice risk to take.. S.Kost has incredible vision but tends to play too much cute and definitely lacks strength, I find he plays too much on the soft side and if you recall PG press conference correctly, he wants his guys to play a north south type of game, what isnt exactly S.Kost cup of coffey.. S.Kost is still pretty young, can improve his overall game but I think Boyes for S.Kost is something that makes alot of sense personally and I wouldnt be surprised if it happens cause I think we would be the clear winner of that deal short term.. Gauthier still believe in this team and wanna make the playoffs so..

What I want to add is that I think Sergei's value is at an interesting rate at this point, thats why I think thats a deal that could work..

FlyingKostitsyn 02-25-2010 04:50 PM

Horton would be good, I wouldn't mind Boyes. As others have stated it'll make it harder to fit Plekanec under the cap until we severely cut our defense payroll (something we should do).

Erik Estrada 02-25-2010 04:55 PM

If Sergei's not in the team's plans, they're better off to get something back. They'll likely get less skill in return but also less headaches.

The potential to be a trade that prima facie ends up looking very bad is compounded by the minimalist use made by JM of Sergei. I'm crossing my fingers...

Iwishihadacup 02-25-2010 04:55 PM

The fail in this thread is trusting ESPN

Stradale 02-25-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 24122295)
If a team wants to sign Halak to an offersheet of 5M, I think most Habs fans will be ******* in their pants, that includes PG.

I think it would be a big mistake to trade Sergei without having given him a chance to play with his brother. Seriously, I'd be really disappointed. These two are made to play together and if Martin wasn't our coach I'm sure they would have started the season along side Plekanec and they'd have much better seasons.

:handclap:

I completely agree. Having both brother in a team is a luxury. Espescially that almost everytime they were put on a same line or simply finding themselves on the ice on the same shift, they always provokes something offensively. I would be a major mistake if Sergei is traded without having the chance to play with his brother on the same line for a long period.

Sergei does not hurt our salarial cap, he's a great replacement if one of our top 6 is injured, he could be even better if he's paired with his brother. He is good offensively and defensively.. I wouldnt risk to trade him so soon.

Rookie Chargers 02-25-2010 04:57 PM

If there would be an offer sheet I think Halak = $2,615,623 - $3,923,437
1st and 3rd round pick

Somebody could try but I doubt it.