HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Do you guys think NHL players should play in the next olympics? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=744351)

Wayne Simmonds* 02-28-2010 11:04 PM

Do you guys think NHL players should play in the next olympics?
 
Do you guys think NHL players should play in the next olympics? i think they should, i mean they stop the season for the all star game..they should for something more important, like the olympics.

Thoughts?

Inferno 02-28-2010 11:05 PM

yes, without a doubt.

i want to see the best of the best competing.

Wayne Simmonds* 02-28-2010 11:07 PM

couldnt agree more, but with bettman in charge you never know...

darko 02-28-2010 11:07 PM

Definitely. You want the best players in the world to be there.

Inferno 02-28-2010 11:10 PM

with a few exceptions here and there, the Olympics were more exciting than the Stanley Cup playoffs. I don't have rooting interests in most of these games, and I don't in the playoffs sans the Rangers games (and those are usually over in the first around anyway)...

the hockey is so intense, and so awesome to watch...the heart some of the underdog teams, like Norway or the Swiss displayed was absolutely incredible.

TheHotRock 02-28-2010 11:13 PM

without a question

17futurecap 02-28-2010 11:14 PM

Yes, and the only thing I hate is we go from watching the best in the world today back to watching the Rangers on Tuesday haha. I thought I would hate the deadline being so close after the Olympics, but it gets me excited for the last 20 game stretch.

OverTheCap 02-28-2010 11:17 PM

Yes.

I was a little wary before the Olympics because of injuries and stuff, but I've changed my mind.

I think this has been the best Olympic hockey since professionals have been allowed to play. All the games that went to OT/SO, USA blowing away everyone's expectations and winning the silver medal, Slovakia's surprising run, the return of ex-NHL greats such as Jagr and Forsberg, a North American gold medal game. I understand Bettman's concerns but to deprive us of such entertainment is almost criminal.

XLJ 02-28-2010 11:19 PM

I hope so it was a great tournament. Its once every 4 years its not really that big of a deal shuttting down the nhl for 2 weeks. Look at how much promotion some of the nhl players got. People who are not big hockey fans know who Ryan Miller is now.

USA will have a strong team in 2014. A lot of our really good young players will be entering there prime of there careers 4 years from now.

Inferno 02-28-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverTheCap (Post 24191322)
Yes.

I was a little wary before the Olympics because of injuries and stuff, but I've changed my mind.

I think this has been the best Olympic hockey since professionals have been allowed to play. All the games that went to OT/SO, USA blowing away everyone's expectations and winning the silver medal, Slovakia's surprising run, the return of ex-NHL greats such as Jagr and Forsberg, a North American gold medal game. I understand Bettman's concerns but to deprive us of such entertainment is almost criminal.

Couldnt agree with you more brutha. :yo::handclap:

I Am Chariot 02-28-2010 11:29 PM

nah that was boring....








psyche..... yes they must play....no turning back now. The KHL and other Euros will want to play right. It would just mess the whole competition up if some NHL guys skip. I say some because there will be quite a few that say f it and go anyway.

Today was AWESOME for the NHL in my opinion.

Awesome for Hockey = Awesome for the NHL

TheHotRock 02-28-2010 11:36 PM

in sochi we're gonna have a lot of 9 am, noon, 3pm est starts....thats gonna be fun....and i'm not being sarcastic.

edit: also in sochi, hockey plays you

nhl players must go

we want cup 02-28-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chariot (Post 24191581)
psyche..... yes they must play....no turning back now. The KHL and other Euros will want to play right. It would just mess the whole competition up if some NHL guys skip. I say some because there will be quite a few that say f it and go anyway.

If not for that fact I'd say no. There's just something about seeing the kids play (like at the WJCs) that I just find more exciting.

Wayne Simmonds* 02-28-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHotRock (Post 24191730)
in sochi we're gonna have a lot of 9 am, noon, 3pm est starts....thats gonna be fun....and i'm not being sarcastic.

edit: also in sochi, hockey plays you

nhl players must go

LOL:handclap:

bobbop 02-28-2010 11:44 PM

They will. What you are hearing from Bettman is a lot of negotiating posture. Deep down, he's just another lawyer. The NHL wants to get something from the Olympic committee (i.e. NHL network on site, replays of games) and something from the players (contract givebacks) before they agree.

Brooks was spot on when he said that many high profile players would sign in Europe or sit out 2013-14 NHL season to play in the Olympics. As more contracts come up, it will become a negotiating issue. Caps owner Ted Leonsis has already says that Ovechkin should be in Sochi.

007 02-28-2010 11:48 PM

I'm glad to see that everyone so far agrees that they should go.

I understand Bettman's position that the NHL wants some more marketing tie-ins, but I don't think he's going to get what he wants. The IOC is really protective of its branding and if the NHL gets a favour, then the KHL will want it, etc. etc.

SupersonicMonkey* 03-01-2010 12:01 AM

Absolutely.

This Olympic hockey tournament was INCREDIBLE.

Best hockey EVER.

I absolutely loved the international game on NHL sized rinks.

Who knows what it'll be like overseas again, may not be the same, but, you have to represent the sport with the best players the world has to offer.

Its just unfortunate it will probably be difficult for us in North America to watch. We will be seeing replays at night, instead of seeing it live.

We were very spoiled this past two weeks.

Absolutely fantastic hockey. And Vancouver is beautiful.

I love the Olympics. Both summer and winter.

Rust Heisenberg 03-01-2010 12:08 AM

without a doubt.

bettman is threatening holding out the nhl players because its bad for nhl revenue. but what was better for gaining more fans to watch the nhl than today's finals game? it was insane!

either that or bettman has it in for russia.

and who is to say that gary bettman should have the right to prevent players from playing in the olympics? after all the olympics are made for the athletes, therefore they should have the final say. if bettman attempts to prevent them then i believe they could easily disregard that decision and play nonetheless. bettman would probably be fired in that scenario so that works out well too:naughty:

I Am Chariot 03-01-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by we want cup (Post 24191821)
If not for that fact I'd say no. There's just something about seeing the kids play (like at the WJCs) that I just find more exciting.


REALLY? More exciting?

I love wjc and am very thankful for nhlnetwork and online access to such great tourneys but these guys are still the best the world has to offer vs the best.

Each country should be able to send THEIR BEST ATHLETES to compete.

So if the NHL doesnt send players and a Juniors and College team goes over they play against the KHL and Euro vets?

Theres a reason why they call 1980 the miracle on ice.

I Am Chariot 03-01-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjets36 (Post 24192361)
without a doubt.

bettman is threatening holding out the nhl players because its bad for nhl revenue. but what was better for gaining more fans to watch the nhl than today's finals game? it was insane!

either that or bettman has it in for russia.

and who is to say that gary bettman should have the right to prevent players from playing in the olympics? after all the olympics are made for the athletes, therefore they should have the final say. if bettman attempts to prevent them then i believe they could easily disregard that decision and play nonetheless. bettman would probably be fired in that scenario so that works out well too:naughty:

Bettmans issue is three fold

1. Are the Olympics good for building the NHL BRAND?

2. Is the disruption to the NHL season worth the exposure the Olympics bring to the NHL Stars

3. Is bailing on the next Olympics going to cause bad blood with other friendly hockey organizations?


He needs to way all these things out.

2010 was a non issue, but largely because the games were in Vancouver

2014 There are concerns because the games will be held in Sochi Russia. The time difference is a big issue. Will the games be as well received and watched here in the states? I suppose they have data to help them make this call and its probably on the fence. No doubt they lose many casual sports fans.

Than again he's the one always talking about global branding of the NHL.

Plus now that Canada won 2010 there will be pressure to play 2014 out of fair sportsmanship.

Inferno 03-01-2010 12:30 AM

most of the euros have said that they will go regardless of whether they are allowed to or not. to them its more important than the NHL, and i dont disagree...that was so amazing to watch.

Callahan Auto 03-01-2010 12:44 AM

Unless the NHL takes a sudden leap to the forefront of major sports, I don't see any reason at all for players not to be there. This tournament was the biggest thing for hockey in a very long time.

Hobgoblin Steve 03-01-2010 12:57 AM

The problem with not letting NHL players play is that you'll end up seeing alot of 3 year contracts, so at the end of their three they go to the K or wherever so they can be named to the Olympic team. In some cases you may see players leaving entirely.
Imagine if players like Thornton, Kane, Crosby and Ovechkin all left to play in another league so they could play in the Olympics for a year.

Fact of the matter is that with NHL players in the Olympics, it helps the NHL. Regular non hockey people that watch the Olympics(hockey) will start noticing, and after games like todays, start watching and becoming fans.

TheHotRock 03-01-2010 01:03 AM

i wonder if the nhl will see a ratings spike. it seemed like everyone became a hockey fan last week.

The Lunatic Fridge 03-01-2010 02:29 AM

The Soviet russia jokes will become unbearable that year but i still want the olympics to keep ALL players allowed to go.That being said.

In soviet russia , Waldo finds you!
In soviet russia , terms of service violates you!

Ok im done.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.