HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   World Junior Championship (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Al Michaels: Hockey played at its best is THE best. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=744563)

HH 03-01-2010 01:25 PM

Al Michaels: Hockey played at its best is THE best.

Anyone catch that on NBC? Bob Costas told Al Michaels not to put down Super Bowls and World Series but that this game was the best sporting event he ever went to and Al Michaels responded by saying that ''hockey played at its best is THE best''

Very nice to listen.

Giuseppe Sallo 03-01-2010 01:28 PM

I agree. As a casual hockey fan, this tourney was out of this world. there was six games that were classic games but the rivalry between USA/Canada is like no other. I also like to commend the canadian fans last night, such an atmosphere. Either than that, I'm still gutted, pissed.... no words to describe.

NyQuil 03-01-2010 01:29 PM

I really can't say enough about the US media personalities in terms of how gracious they were at this Olympics with respect to Canada and their athletes.

I watched a few segments before the Closing Ceremonies and they spent as much time talking about some of the top Canadian stories as they did about their own athletes.

I'll remember this for the next time the US hosts the games.

Unlike those bitter British.

Giuseppe Sallo 03-01-2010 01:36 PM

British?? What happened??

NyQuil 03-01-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vilela (Post 24200714)
British?? What happened??

Their media has been slagging the games from the beginning.

I think they're trying to set the bar low for their London games.

It would help if they were a relevant international winter sporting nation.

Brodie 03-01-2010 01:40 PM

I doubt they were setting the bar low... knowing the British press, they'll complain about the London games, too. It's how they sell papers.

FolignoQuantumLeap 03-01-2010 01:41 PM

Isn't Al Michaels a huge hockey/Rangers fan?

The Man in White 03-01-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyQuil (Post 24200523)
I really can't say enough about the US media personalities in terms of how gracious they were at this Olympics with respect to Canada and their athletes.

I watched a few segments before the Closing Ceremonies and they spent as much time talking about some of the top Canadian stories as they did about their own athletes.

I'll remember this for the next time the US hosts the games.

Unlike those bitter British.

Agreed.

Never caught the first Brokaw piece from the Opening Ceremonies but saw this one. Thought it was wonderful.

NyQuil 03-01-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodie (Post 24200816)
I doubt they were setting the bar low... knowing the British press, they'll complain about the London games, too. It's how they sell papers.

You're probably right.

SC2008 03-01-2010 01:55 PM

Hockey is my favorite sport, but which sport is the best at its best is tough.

I've seen some amazing games/series. Just off the top of my head here are a few from other sports.

Baseball:
Twins/Braves '91 WS
Diamondbacks/Yankees 01 WS

Football:
Patriots/Giants '08 SB
Bills/Oilers "The Comeback" playoff game
USC/Notre Dame "Bush Push"
USC/Texas '05 BCS Champ
Boise St/Oklahoma '07 Fiesta Bowl

Basketball:
Bulls/Jazz '98 Finals
UCLA/Gonzaga "Morrison crying game"
Handful of Laker games.

They're all good to me. Impossible for me to pick which sport is the best at its best.

Brodie 03-01-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Free Agents (Post 24201072)
Agreed.

Never caught the first Brokaw piece from the Opening Ceremonies but saw this one. Thought it was wonderful.

I love that piece. It really sums up what those of us in places like Southeast Michigan, Western New York and Washington State have known forever... Canada and it's people are the best the world has to offer.

Eukaryote 03-01-2010 02:08 PM

Hope the TV ratings aren't too big in the US. They have a large minor hockey program in even Dallas now. Dallas of all places. SoCal is even cranking out good players; a team from there PWND at the midget tournament.

I don't like this.

Philly85 03-01-2010 02:16 PM

Yeah the US media have been pretty much awesome in discussing Canada, our culture and our various athletes, and it seems like at every opportunity they've particularly emphasized how great the sport of hockey is, especially when it's played at that spectacular level. Quite simply there is nothing better, and it was evident to even the casual sports fan.

FolignoQuantumLeap 03-01-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eukaryote (Post 24201559)
Hope the TV ratings aren't too big in the US. They have a large minor hockey program in even Dallas now. Dallas of all places. SoCal is even cranking out good players; a team from there PWND at the midget tournament.

I don't like this.

I'm more worried about China 20 years down the road.

Brodie 03-01-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

I don't like this.

Yep, the WHL is seeing the first wave of Stars, Sharks, Ducks and Gretzky-era Kings influenced kids now. In 10 years, the OHL might see players from other transplant heavy areas with new NHL teams like Atlanta, Nashville and Carolina.

Look out, Canada.

The Man in White 03-01-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap (Post 24201774)
I'm more worried about China 20 years down the road.

Top5 popular words: 1 #nowplaying 2 March 3^ Canada 4^ Team USA 5^ YouTube http://china.twirus.com

Edit:

Top5 popular words: 1 #nowplaying 2 March 3^ Chile 4^ Team USA 5 Canada http://china.twirus.com
twirus_china - 14:30:33

matt trick 03-01-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2008 (Post 24201230)
Hockey is my favorite sport, but which sport is the best at its best is tough.

I've seen some amazing games/series. Just off the top of my head here are a few from other sports.

Baseball:
Twins/Braves '91 WS
Diamondbacks/Yankees 01 WS

Football:
Patriots/Giants '08 SB
Bills/Oilers "The Comeback" playoff game
USC/Notre Dame "Bush Push"
USC/Texas '05 BCS Champ
Boise St/Oklahoma '07 Fiesta Bowl

Basketball:
Bulls/Jazz '98 Finals
UCLA/Gonzaga "Morrison crying game"
Handful of Laker games.

They're all good to me. Impossible for me to pick which sport is the best at its best.

Ammo had like 40 points in that game, but damn that was one of the most depressing finishes I have ever seen.

Hemskyfanboy83 03-01-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

I don't like this.

I would gladly give up winning in the olympics and being the best country if it meant the talent level of the NHL significantly increased.

Angels for Everyone 03-01-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyQuil (Post 24200739)
Their media has been slagging the games from the beginning.

I think they're trying to set the bar low for their London games.

It would help if they were a relevant international winter sporting nation.

why should canada be immune?

the british press piss and moan about everything...

we could win 100 golds in 2012 and they'd still moan about the ones we didn't win

NextBigThing 03-01-2010 02:46 PM

2004 ALCS>>>>>>>>anything

'Nuff Said.

Blue Liner 03-01-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

I don't like this.

USA Hockey is improving, no doubt, but I don't think any of you north of the border have anything to worry about. You're always going to be there, just now you're getting a little more competition. It's good, makes things interesting and makes rivalries legit. The one thing NHL expansion/relocation did do for the better was increase interest in the game at the youth and grassroots levels, as another poster pointed out here. A lot of "Gretzky Kings-Era" kids are coming to the surface. Canada's got nothing to worry about, though, just a little competition. ;)

NeelyWasAWarrior 03-01-2010 03:28 PM

Why do people say USA hockey is on the rise, if anything i see a decrease in talent compared to our previous olympic squads. Yea we have a good team, a young team but overrall our team doesn't compare to:

Roenick
Tkachuk
Hull
Modano
Leetch
Leclair
Guerin
Lafontaine
Chelios
etc.

IngloriusBuzzards 03-01-2010 03:37 PM

I compare Hockey to Jazz music...

It's without a doubt more refined, the artists are more passionate. It has a wonderful history rooted in originality that will never have a "Place" in the ordinary world of pre-packaged pop music. It's just better and better played....

Hockey is the same - it just speaks to a different sort of person. It isn't SOLD to you like football. It's something you either get or don't. I like the fact that it isn't "up there" with some other sports.... It's in a class all by itself

Minister of Offence 03-01-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyQuil (Post 24200523)

My brothher told me at the start of the Olympics that he was watching NBC coverage exclusively. I thought it was due to the better production value but it must have had a lot to do with this.

I havent watched much NBC, the bit I did I was shocked as they were almost focusing in on our athletes during a competition (forget which).

Could it have to do with them trying to take advantage the Canadian market? Im sure they did if it wasnt their intention.

VanEric 03-01-2010 03:42 PM

NBC was good to the Canadian athletes likely because they knew many Canadians were watching their coverage both in Canada and the US.

I didn't watch too much of their coverage, though, because the actual events were usually on live on the Canadian networks.