HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Socks or no socks? That is the question. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=744899)

Webernaut 03-01-2010 11:14 PM

Socks or no socks? That is the question.

Socks!

Wear them? Don't wear them? High? Low? Dress socks? Special ones? Colors?

I used to wear women's low cut socks because they were nice and tight. I switched to nylon dress socks which were quite comfy but tonight I went with nothing. I fell in love with going sockless while playing. I played shinnie for about 2 hours with no changes and it felt GREAT! :D

Pros and cons of going bare foot in skates?

Hockeyfan68 03-01-2010 11:19 PM

The first con you will hear about wearing no socks and going barefoot is SKATE STINK!

As for what I wear, I wear soccer socks which are synthetic for the most part. Cotton socks can cause heel bumps from friction and I stopped wearing cotton after reading things in this very forum because we have people who know what they are talking about in here.

The soccer socks go over my calf almost up to my knee like skate socks do and they work for me. I bought 2 $5 pair at Walmart in their sporting goods area. I felt no need to buy expensive skate socks.

Badger36 03-01-2010 11:38 PM

I just wear regular cotton crew socks. Nothing fancy, just whatever I can get for cheap.

blueberrydanish 03-01-2010 11:47 PM

I gotta wear long socks or else the edge of the top of my skates just wears on my ankle too much for comfort. I just bunch em down though just for that extra cushion ontop, works out perfect.

Not too sure about what type of fabric it is...it holds sweat for the most part but not the the point of being drenched, quite comfortable.

Of course I gotta take em off right after Im done skatin though but I hope everyone who wears socks to skate does that. =>

edit - Also mine are fit nice and snug...also a pretty key factor for me, cant have em loose.

Superstar Treatment 03-01-2010 11:47 PM

I wear socks now but when I didn't (from about 14-22) I would put dryer sheets in my skates right after taking them off and I never had a problem with smell.

Now I wear either nike dri-fit soccer socks or just all season UA high socks.

wondeROY 03-02-2010 12:53 AM

Easton Synergy socks are awesome! Wouldn't use anything else.

nystromshairstylist 03-02-2010 01:02 AM

After trying several different types of socks, both cotton, dri-fit types, etc., I've settled on these:

http://www.sockcompany.com/thermaxliner.html

The Wigwams are thicker than other hockey liners I've tried, and grip the inside of the skate better so my feet slip around very little inside the skate.

I would think playing barefoot would not only potentially have bacteria issues for your feet, leading potentially to getting warts, but would also wear out the skate lining faster.

nullterm 03-02-2010 01:41 AM

Synthetic fiber & wool hiking socks. Very comfortable, bit of cushion, keeps feet dry so no worries about blisters.

http://www.foxsox.com/catalog/produc...ctedstyle=2450

Frankie Spankie 03-02-2010 07:20 AM

I tried not wearing socks once and my heels had such bad blisters I couldn't walk right for a couple of days. I used to just wear normal socks. I ordered a couple of sticks on hockeymonkey.com and decided to try picking up some socks from them. I bought these and love them:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/profeet-...te-liners.html

stick9 03-02-2010 07:56 AM

Definitely the biggest con..

http://www.medicinenet.com/staph_infection/article.htm

I wear the UA skate sock and love it. I like that it comes up over my calf. Helps keep shin pads from soaking up all that sweat.

Rob Brown 03-02-2010 08:06 AM

Typically just wear ankle socks now, although I used to wear regular socks that went up to the middle of my shins.

shoeshine boy 03-02-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 (Post 24216130)
The first con you will hear about wearing no socks and going barefoot is SKATE STINK!

ain't that the truth! I have my own skate sharpener and I HATE it when my friends who skate barefoot want me to take their skates home to sharpen. it stinks up my car for days!. I need to find a way to tie them to the roof! ;)
definitely going to have them try the dryer sheet thing.

I use the Nike Dry-fit soccer socks. LOVE them! tried the CCM Oxysock for awhile. they were okay but very expensive. I feel like I get the same result from the soccer socks for a lot less money.

noobman 03-02-2010 09:01 AM

When you go to buy skates, wear your hockey socks. I made the mistake of wearing regular athletic socks, and now I'm sort of confined to wearing those b/c the thin socks leave a little too much space in the boot (causing the flesh on my toes to freeze).

Jarick 03-02-2010 09:06 AM

I just switched to Easton skate socks...nice and thin. Before that, dress socks, which were hit and miss...some were good and thin, some were too slippery, some fell down.

nystromshairstylist 03-02-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick9 (Post 24218964)
Definitely the biggest con..

I wear the UA skate sock and love it. I like that it comes up over my calf. Helps keep shin pads from soaking up all that sweat.

That's interesting - I wear my socks to lower calf so that it wouldn't interfere with the shin pad's ability to capture sweat.

Given how much padding my shin pads have underneath, and with the heavy sweater socks on top, my legs below the knee already sweat like a river. I'd be concerned adding a third layer, even if its a thin dri-fit-type sock, would just make me sweat even more.

Durbo20vT 03-02-2010 09:31 AM

Sockless ftw. Air them out and spray febreeze once in a while, they wont smell. at least mine dont...

TBLightningFan 03-02-2010 09:36 AM

I wear whatever socks I have on when I get to the rink. Now that my skates are well broken in, it really makes no diffrence to me. Not sure if I would like it without socks though. The seam between the insole(shock doctors) and skate would bug me without a sock at all.

CanFan05 03-02-2010 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=stick9;24218964]Definitely the biggest con..

QUOTE]

:amazed:

stick9 03-02-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist (Post 24219958)
That's interesting - I wear my socks to lower calf so that it wouldn't interfere with the shin pad's ability to capture sweat.

Given how much padding my shin pads have underneath, and with the heavy sweater socks on top, my legs below the knee already sweat like a river. I'd be concerned adding a third layer, even if its a thin dri-fit-type sock, would just make me sweat even more.

A dri-fit sock should help wick moisture away keeping you cooler. Plus, they're easier to clean then shin pads.

Anyway, if you're sweating that much you could always switch to a mesh hockey sock.

Rickety Cricket 03-02-2010 10:11 AM

Sockless

kirsi 03-02-2010 10:48 AM

I have been wearing some athletic socks that go over my calf. They are pink.

I got some of the long UA all sport heat gear socks or whatever they are called, and I am really disappointed. They feel great, seem to be a good material and such, and are a good length, but they don't fit at all. The toe is square and there is no defined place to put a heel so there is a ton of excess fabric and it's the wrong shape around the back of my ankle. I got them in M, which the back of the sock package says is the right size for me (women's shoe size 8, size 4 skate).

I'm either going to get some swiftwick socks which someone here recommended next (price is prohibitive though haha) or whatever else they have at my LHS.

forbs02 03-02-2010 11:10 AM

Be kind to your skate sharpener and wear socks!!!! I can smell a barefoot skater coming from a long way away. I recommend a tall thin sock, baseball sanitary socks are awesome. They soak up some of the sweat and when you wear them tall, they keep your shinpads from sitting directly on your skin, which also helps you not smell quite as bad.

Socks will soak up some of the sweat that would otherwise go into your skate, which will prematurely rust out your rivets. I always have to replace rivets for barefoot skaters than I do for players who wear socks. Another thing you should do is pull out your footbeds and open your skates when you get home. This will help them dry out better and prevent smell. There is nothing worse as a skate sharpener than pulling out a footbed and there being a pool of water underneath... and the skate hasn't been worn for two days. Yuck.

NigelSPNKr 03-02-2010 12:25 PM

I wear those basic cotton socks that have the three coloured rings at the top

Devil Dancer 03-02-2010 12:47 PM

Basic cotton ankle socks. I've never tried anything else, except occasionally I'll wear my black calf length work socks when I forget my ankle whites.

santiclaws 03-02-2010 12:55 PM

UA football socks. Over the calf, very comfortable.