HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Right now, better rivalry: USA/CAN or CAN/RUS (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=744909)

Big Phil 03-02-2010 01:26 AM

Right now, better rivalry: USA/CAN or CAN/RUS

Obviously the USA/CAN rivalry has a ways to catch up all time with the CAN/RUS one. But right now if you had to pick a better rivalry which one is it?

Take into account the Olympics, WJC and Worlds. Many will say the USA has surpassed Russia as Canada's #1 most hated foe. Others in their heart of hearts still want to beat the "commies" more than anything over any other team

robdicks 03-02-2010 01:27 AM

usa... they are boarder rivals and usually beat us in everything else, so its important that we school them with the stick and puck

Timzey 03-02-2010 01:31 AM

just from watching the games you gotta say the USA. combine that with the world juniors, and woman's hockey, its kind of a no brainer.

dystemper 03-02-2010 01:38 AM

definitely canada/usa. the americans have emerged with their new core.

russia's been in the middle of an identity crisis when it comes to hockey in the last few years. lots of flash, but little finish. until their national program can put teams together that actually plays like a team, the russia/canada rivalry will become nothing more than a memory. in fact, the canada-russia rivalry is almost purely based on memories from the 70s and 80s. there has not been any classic matchups between the two countries in recent memory at all.

Cherepanisimov 03-02-2010 01:39 AM

They aren't the Soviets anymore. Is Canada really that big of a rival with modern Russia? USA-Canada is the biggest international hockey rivalry and will be for a while.

'02 and '10 games are more important than a series that took place almost 40 years ago, no matter how monumental that series was.

Donky 03-02-2010 01:42 AM

I'm thinking anyone under 35 is going to say USA and the majority of guys over 35 would say Russia still...there is just so much history between Canada and Russia that isn't there with the USA yet...but I give USA hockey big credit for continually coming up big in these tournaments when on paper they are definitely underdogs...

Going forward and with the next games in Sochi I would be shocked if Canada met the US in the final again...but wouldn't be surprised at all to see Russia-Canada...

MayDay 03-02-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donky (Post 24217153)
Going forward and with the next games in Sochi I would be shocked if Canada met the US in the final again...but wouldn't be surprised at all to see Russia-Canada...

Maybe we'll see USA-Russia. ;)

Who knows?

Donky 03-02-2010 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayDay (Post 24217294)
Maybe we'll see USA-Russia. ;)

Who knows?

There are 7 teams capable of winning, so for sure, who knows. What I'm saying is that on paper the most LIKELY matchup is Russia-Canada. Before this tournament I would have put 5 teams ahead of the US. But the USA played with ton of heart, youthful enthusiasm and superb goaltending. As the team is still maturing they should be peaking for Sochi, so looking way way ahead they could be the 3rd or 4th most powerful team with Sweden heading into that tournament...so yeah they could very well make the final like they did here...but I doubt it...

WJG 03-02-2010 02:28 AM

USA finally has a legit goalie in Miller.

No offense to Thomas or Quick, but I doubt the games would be close if either of them played in Miller's place.

Anderson, though, might have been.

Valens 03-02-2010 03:18 AM

For me the US and Canada. I'm in my early twenties and that is the biggest international hockey rivalry I've been exposed to. Russia- Canada, definitely second for me however.

Vladsky 03-02-2010 03:23 AM

US-Canada rivalry will prevail in the next 10-20 years.

xtr3m 03-02-2010 03:24 AM

There's more hate in Canada-USA.

elriz 03-02-2010 04:34 AM

im surprised by the poll. CAN // RUS is always intense games, we constantly leapfrog each other for international dominance, and at any particular tourney we are both always favorites to win it all.

it has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the fact we are both the two greatest international hockey nations for the past 50 years. is that changing? probably, but for the time being its russia and US a distant but always enjoyable 3rd.

Minirex22* 03-02-2010 07:08 AM

This olympics has been definetely USA-CAN

In The Flesh 03-02-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Running Riot (Post 24217634)
USA finally has a legit goalie in Miller.

No offense to Thomas or Quick, but I doubt the games would be close if either of them played in Miller's place.

Anderson, though, might have been.

Mike Richter says Hi.

thomasincanada 03-02-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 (Post 24218482)
Mike Richter says Hi.

I wish Miller would play 5 feet out from the goal like Richter did.. would make things easier for us ;)

b_bruins 03-02-2010 09:40 AM

I would say the rivalry is about the same.... The QuarterFinal match felt good beating the Russians, but how sweet it was to take down the Americans!!

BlackAces* 03-02-2010 09:43 AM

Canada v Russia.

Can't beat that. US just doesn't win enough for me to have the same feelings as against Russia.

Tombernack 03-02-2010 09:52 AM

I like CAN/RUS myself, but right now its gotta be CAN/USA. Epic Junior, Womens and Mens tilts have happened lately.

Magick93 03-02-2010 09:57 AM

Canada-USA for sure.

You're brother is always your biggest rival...

It used to be Canada-USSR, but Canada and Russia don't have much of a historic rivalry at all.

BlackAces* 03-02-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magick93 (Post 24219565)
Canada and Russia don't have much of a historic rivalry at all.

...ummm

Canadiens1958 03-02-2010 10:01 AM

Canada / USA

Canada / Russia is limited to men's hockey.

Canada / USA includes men's and women's hockey, is on going throughout the year all the way down to intro levels, off season during the triple AAA tournaments,further more extending to other sports, skiing, skating, cross border softball tournaments, junior football all-star games, etc.

SilverSeven 03-02-2010 10:03 AM

Still Russia for me. One rivalry is competitive ;)

It Kills Me 03-02-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdicks (Post 24216986)
usa... they are boarder rivals and usually beat us in everything else, so its important that we school them with the stick and puck

Pretty much.

Markovskaya 03-02-2010 10:17 AM

It's clearly USA right now.

1) They are our neighbors.

2) They Won the WJC this year against Canada

3) We faced them in Women hockey's final for 2 consecutive Olympics

4) The men's final