HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   If Sidney Crosby has a career ending injury tomorrow, is he a HOFer? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=744924)

robdicks 03-02-2010 01:20 AM

If Sidney Crosby has a career ending injury tomorrow, is he a HOFer?

Is Sidney Crosby a Hall-of-famer if he retired for some reason tomorrow?

I say yes... hes got a Hart, Art Ross, First team All-star, Lester B. Pearson, Stanley Cup, Olympic gold, world championship gold, 3 all-star games, 2 Lou Marsh awards, and a world junior championship.. youngest captain of his team and youngest captain to win the cup

351 games, 174 goals, 475 pts

Incognito 03-02-2010 01:21 AM

He's in.

King of Anarchy 03-02-2010 01:27 AM

Yes. No question.

jumptheshark 03-02-2010 01:28 AM

nope

not enough points

Donky 03-02-2010 01:28 AM

Too young. But it's close.

RyanMac 03-02-2010 01:29 AM

Yes he is.. because the writers, broadcasters and game builders on the selection committee would all vote him in. It's not like it's decided by some sort of scientific formula. It's voted based on human emotion.

Duke Silver 03-02-2010 01:30 AM

Without a doubt. With the records he has set and the accolades he's collected, nobody has ever done what he has in such a short amount of time.

RobertKron 03-02-2010 01:31 AM

Yes, absolutely. On every level he should be there. He is a huge superstar, he has accomplished more in both the NHL and internationally than a lot of players in the HHOF did over the course of full careers, his numbers are top notch over the course of his career so far. The only thing he'd be lacking would be longevity, which obviously wouldn't be possible due to his injury.

Paranoid Android 03-02-2010 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan MacLeod (Post 24217641)
Yes he is.. because the writers, broadcasters and game builders on the selection committee would all vote him in. It's not like it's decided by some sort of scientific formula. It's voted based on human emotion.

Bingo. High career point totals don't matter, they just happen to be a common factor of most candidates. Crosby is a lock because he is a hero, and not just because of this past Olympics

TorFC-TML* 03-02-2010 01:33 AM

A career ending injury would be gigantic.

His comprehensive list of accomplishments in such an incredibly short period of time, coupled with the catastrophic nature of a 22 year old suffering a career ending injury would guarantee he gets into the hall.

InglewoodJack 03-02-2010 01:34 AM

Too young.
He would probably have a display, no doubt, and I have a hard time believing he wouldn't be in, but to make his HOF candidicy 100% legit, give him another 4 seasons and he's a lock. Even now he's almost a lock.

Spamhuis 03-02-2010 01:36 AM

absolutely

Donky 03-02-2010 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman (Post 24217645)
Without a doubt. With the records he has set and the accolades he's collected, nobody has ever done what he has in such a short amount of time.

Uhhhhhh....:laugh:

He has never even scored 40 goals. HOF'er??

Fighter 03-02-2010 01:55 AM

Not enough years IMO to get into the HOF.

Jumbo* 03-02-2010 01:55 AM

Too young and not enough years IMO. But he has done quite a bit in those few years so I wouldnt be against it either.

Topgoon 03-02-2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan MacLeod (Post 24217641)

This.

You can't compare Crosby to the greats of the past just on his hockey merits in this instance because Crosby is probably the FIRST North American face of NHL in this 'web 2.0' era. Influence wise, Crosby is one of the greatest since Gretzky.

Hockey merit wise, he's borderline in. The Hart and the Cup are the key drivers, while having 4.5 solid seasons should provide enough longevity.

Big McLargehuge 03-02-2010 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donky (Post 24217803)

He has 42 goals this season...

Crosby would get in because he would be voted in. Whether it would be deserved or not could be questioned...but he's won the World Juniors, Stanley Cup, and Olympic Gold by the age of 22...that's quite something. Even as a Pens fan I'd sway on the 'too young' side of the fence, but if he gets another ring this season and is in a serious accident the day after my vote would be 'in'.

robdicks 03-02-2010 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donky (Post 24217803)

he has 42 goals right now...

metalan2 03-02-2010 02:04 AM

He would be 100% in.

Donky 03-02-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge (Post 24217854)
He has 42 goals this season...

God damn you and your stats!! I take it back....ship the HOF....for the 22 year old 2nd best player on his own team...

My question....Malkin (08 and 09 team MVP) has similar numbers to Crosby...has the Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe, Art Ross trophies. Silver at WJC and as a Russian star on 'Crosbys team' was never going to get the C.

Is he a HOF'er if he scored a Gold Medal winning goal after a mediocre tournament?

FolignoQuantumLeap 03-02-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdicks (Post 24217549)
Is Sidney Crosby a Hall-of-famer if he retired for some reason tomorrow?

I say yes... hes got a Hart, Art Ross, First team All-star, Lester B. Pearson, Stanley Cup, Olympic gold, world championship gold, 3 all-star games, 2 Lou Marsh awards, and a world junior championship.. youngest captain of his team and youngest captain to win the cup

351 games, 174 goals, 475 pts

Doesn't have the WC gold yet.

But yeah I'd say he gets in since most writers love him.

loxcane 03-02-2010 02:10 AM

Crosby has no chance at the HOF if his career ends now. He needs at least 3-4 more years just of this level to get there

Darth Joker 03-02-2010 02:12 AM

A career ending injury? Yes, he's definitely in. He's just a somewhat more extreme case of Bobby Orr then (Orr being a supremely elite player who's career was drastically shortened by injuries).

If he just decides he doesn't want to play hockey any more for some reason other than injury? That I'm not so sure about. I think a lot of folks (hockey writers especially) would be pissed if Crosby quit on the game at this point in his career.

Mind you, Crosby quitting on the game is just about impossible, so I don't think we need to worry much about that, lol.

robdicks 03-02-2010 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap (Post 24217886)
Doesn't have the WC gold yet.

But yeah I'd say he gets in since most writers love him.

o i thought he won the world championship when he made it in 06.. but further research indicates he did not win the finals.. although he was youngest to lead the tourney in scoring and was named top forward

bmil 03-02-2010 02:54 AM

Somewhere, I hear Stone Cold Steve Austin when reading this thread title...

OHH HELLLL YEEEEAHHHHHH!