HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Waived: The Latest and Greatest Waiver pickup thread! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=745059)

robbiezyg 03-02-2010 12:49 PM

The Latest and Greatest Waiver pickup thread!

Tons of players on waivers today.. i'm personally a huge fan of picking up Ryan Jones from Nashville. Big, strong.. kinda slow but he's a right handed shooter than can pick up a few goals.. He's 26 so he isn't even old.

List of players:
Chelios
Lukowich
Lisin
Voros
Eriksson
Jones
John Grahame
Ryan Oulahen

His HF Profile: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/ryan_jones

joestevens29 03-02-2010 12:52 PM

We have lots of players that age that we can't make decisons on. I doubt we pickup anyone listed in that group.

robbiezyg 03-02-2010 01:00 PM

My reasoning for it is that we dont have many bigger guys that could be in the top 6... Now, he wasn't in the top 6 for nashville very much this year.. last year he was for probably a third of the season.. But he put up some good numbers in the NCAA which shows he can put up points.. I think he's a definite better option than jacques or stone in a top 6 role.. i'm mostly reffering to the beginning of the season when those two were in the top 6

40oz 03-02-2010 01:07 PM

Jones plz
Posted via Mobile Device

Live Breathe Hockey 03-02-2010 01:20 PM

I'd consider Lisin and Voros, need some better sandpaper. I watched Lisin live a few times, the kid can play, surprised to see him on waivers, Sather probably needs cap room and is willing to just move a guy

Joseppi 03-02-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey (Post 24223590)
I'd consider Lisin and Voros, need some better sandpaper. I watched Lisin live a few times, the kid can play, surprised to see him on waivers, Sather probably needs cap room and is willing to just move a guy

Same here. He's probably one of the fastest players in the NHL. He's also got some decent size (6'2" 190lbs).

Seems weird to me for NY to expose him to waivers :dunno:

Not Robin Brownlee 03-02-2010 01:59 PM

Id take a stab at Lisin.

SK13 03-02-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseppi (Post 24224426)
Same here. He's probably one of the fastest players in the NHL. He's also got some decent size (6'2" 190lbs).

Seems weird to me for NY to expose him to waivers :dunno:

He's been remarkable unproductive for them.

Erik Christensen has easily taken the minutes away.

reckless_abandon 03-02-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK13 (Post 24224906)
He's been remarkable unproductive for them.

Erik Christensen has easily taken the minutes away.

Just because a player is unproductive for one coach doesn't mean he will be for another. Case in point Quinn vs. Huddy re: Grebeshkov. There are several names on the waiver wire today that I would rather see in the Oilers line up than JFJ or Nilsson. Lisin is interesting to say the least, and I think would make a Cogliano trade at this time look probable.

Ragss 03-02-2010 02:15 PM

Whats the risk in picking up Lisin? I can't see why we wouldn't do it...

Louiss 03-02-2010 02:19 PM

Lisin is like Robert Nilsson with more turnovers and less defensive plays

SK13 03-02-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragss (Post 24225357)
Whats the risk in picking up Lisin? I can't see why we wouldn't do it...

You're right. There probably is no risk for him and Jones. Jones is signed next year at 900k, probably a solid player to fill out the 3RW slot and Lisin might well be productive enough in the final stretch to:

1) Take the 2RW slot and run with it, giving us more opportunity to slow down Eberle's fast-tracking to the NHL.

2) Add some size without sacrificing speed, and make Cogliano more expendable as a young asset.

SK13 03-02-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louiss (Post 24225473)

I'd take your word on that... but NHL.com has him with only 3 giveaways this season to 30 takeaways. A ridiculous 10:1 ratio in the positive.

He also throws a hit per game and has some size.

LimpDave 03-02-2010 02:25 PM

I really hope edmonton takes a stab at jones

he's a great player that i think needs a bit of a wake up, he can fill in for Moreau after he likely get's traded

perfect third line LW, who can sit in the pressbox when he's not producing

we need to add size, and a presence in front of the net

blue collar player who hasn't found his groove yet

if he doesn't work out we can send him down and hope he clears, if not no loss

with lisin and jones being waived it's making me rethink the value of certain oilers...

Rin 03-02-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbiezyg (Post 24222771)
Tons of players on waivers today.. i'm personally a huge fan of picking up Ryan Jones from Nashville. Big, strong.. kinda slow but he's a right handed shooter than can pick up a few goals.. He's 26 so he isn't even old.

List of players:
Chelios
Lukowich
Lisin
Voros
Eriksson
Jones
John Grahame
Ryan Oulahen

His HF Profile: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/ryan_jones

As in Loui Eriksson?

Juice 03-02-2010 02:32 PM

I think they will pick up voros to be honest

Paralyzer 03-02-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rin (Post 24225819)
As in Loui Eriksson?

Anders Eriksson

SK13 03-02-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Oilers (Post 24225870)
Anders Eriksson

Yeah... Dallas isn't going to waive the guy who scored 36 goals for them last year. Although it'd be great for us. We have first pick-up on the waiver wire.

As to what the risk is in picking Lisin off waivers... the second we actually do pick someone up is the second we move to the back of the line. What if a player significantly more valuable than Lisin or Jones is put on waivers?

Would it not be preferable to try and work a trade out for Jones?

Rin 03-02-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Oilers (Post 24225870)
Anders Eriksson

Ahhh, thanks. I forgot about that Eriksson. I thought Dallas was just going crazy or something.

sekiyu 03-02-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK13 (Post 24225982)
As to what the risk is in picking Lisin off waivers... the second we actually do pick someone up is the second we move to the back of the line. What if a player significantly more valuable than Lisin or Jones is put on waivers?

NHL waivers are not like Yahoo league waivers. We don't go to the back of the line after making a claim.

From the CBA: "In the event that more than one Club makes a claim for such Player, he shall be transferred to the claiming Club having earned the lowest percentage of possible points in the League standing at the time of the request for Waivers."

nexttothemoon 03-02-2010 03:50 PM

You've gotta think there would be something crossing the waiver wires that would be more useful for the Oilers than what they currently have on their team. I'm surprised they actually haven't made at least one pickup off the waiver wires this year. Is it just a case that they feel they'd rather continue to deal with the junk they know rather than the possible baggage and issues coming with cast-offs of other clubs?

Fourier 03-02-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK13 (Post 24225982)
Yeah... Dallas isn't going to waive the guy who scored 36 goals for them last year. Although it'd be great for us. We have first pick-up on the waiver wire.

It doesn't work that way, but there is no point putting in a claim earlier than necessary. You don't have to be the first to place a claim, so you might as well see who all is available,

MLew10 03-02-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louiss (Post 24225473)

I didn't know it was possible to have less defensive plays than Robert Nilsson:dunno:

SK13 03-02-2010 05:17 PM

Thanks for the correction on the waiver rule. I guess I assimilated some misinformation on the rule.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLew10 (Post 24230013)
I didn't know it was possible to have less defensive plays than Robert Nilsson:dunno:

Nilsson in the previous two seasons was one of the most efficient GF/GA players on the team. He tends to be complacent, but he has shown an understanding of the game and has gotten the puck moving in the right direction for us many times in the past.

SuperUke99 03-02-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourier (Post 24228636)
It doesn't work that way, but there is no point putting in a claim earlier than necessary. You don't have to be the first to place a claim, so you might as well see who all is available,

Ryan Jones please...he has crust! Lisin is a waste of time.