HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Roenick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=74521)

amonte11 04-28-2004 03:24 PM

Roenick

Could Roenick be almost done? He announced during his injury that retirement wasn't out of the question. Hopfully he won't retire. He is a big part of this team. But, say if he does decide to in the near future(as in this offseason or next) who do they sign to replace him? I think they need to do it this offseason to work the player in, whoever it may be.

JOHNBOY 04-28-2004 03:33 PM

JR is one hell of a warrior.

IMO he will retire if the Flyers win the cup this year...

Yertle The Turtle 04-28-2004 04:53 PM

the flyers could replace roenick with carter or richards (most likely carter) but it would not be the same :(

GKJ 04-28-2004 05:50 PM

He's not retiring

Toonces 04-28-2004 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
He's not retiring

What he said.

JR still wants to play. If he won a Cup he would want to try again, unless he was a few years older.

easton122 04-28-2004 09:01 PM

There isn't much of a chance Roenick will retire IMO. But to answer your other question about replacing him we could just resign Zhamnov or take a chance on Jason Allison but he is just another Lindros :eek:

ATG 04-28-2004 09:33 PM

One more concussion and he may be done his wife didn't want him to come back from that broken jaw so imagine he gets another concussion he's done.Come on guys a championship isn't worth risking a dehabilitating injury and being basically a vegtable.Ya I know that could happen to anyone but Roenick's more at risk than most other players because of his concussions.

Three guys that should hang them up:Lindros,Deadmarsh,Roenick

ObeySteve 04-28-2004 09:42 PM

AtG, everyone has already grown to become so cynical of your actual motive for posting in threads like this, so you mind as well not even bother....especially when your post is simply recommending Roenick to retire before the postseason is even over. :shakehead

ATG 04-28-2004 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObeySteve
AtG, everyone has already grown to become so cynical of your actual motive for posting in threads like this, so you mind as well not even bother....especially when your post is simply recommending Roenick to retire before the postseason is even over. :shakehead

No,You misunderstood I was just replying to the first post made.Roenick plays hard and is a good player im just sayin that if he gets another concussion whether it be in this series or next season even he has got to do some soul searching and really think about his future he can't play hockey forever is it worth getting dehabilitized by getting over 10 concussions.Muhammad Ali is a good example of this even though he is a boxer,to many shots to the head.I hope Roenick stays healthy as I like to watch him play(except against the Leafs) and his comments are great

Rex88 04-28-2004 10:26 PM

I think concussions are horribly misunderstood.
It has alot to do with semantics but really the higher grade concussions are of concern, the low grade ones happen all the time in every sport and kids in playgrounds, etc.
With that said, yes guys who have repeated severe concussions are taking a risk but the level is not well known.
Are there any NHL former players with syptoms like Ali? I cannot think of any but am not sure. It is similar to Parkinsons in the late stages and no NHL guys fit that type of syndrome that I have heard of - but the game has really changed over the past 20 years.

ATG 04-28-2004 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex88
I think concussions are horribly misunderstood.
It has alot to do with semantics but really the higher grade concussions are of concern, the low grade ones happen all the time in every sport and kids in playgrounds, etc.
With that said, yes guys who have repeated severe concussions are taking a risk but the level is not well known.
Are there any NHL former players with syptoms like Ali? I cannot think of any but am not sure. It is similar to Parkinsons in the late stages and no NHL guys fit that type of syndrome that I have heard of - but the game has really changed over the past 20 years.

Concussions are tricky I mean Breet Lindros got one and could never play hockey again.Im not sure how bad his was but Im guessin the doctors told him one more could seriously damage his brain so he took no chances and retired.It would be awful for that to happen to a guy like Roenick who plays hard every night

The Seeker 25 04-29-2004 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Concussions are tricky I mean Breet Lindros got one and could never play hockey again.Im not sure how bad his was but Im guessin the doctors told him one more could seriously damage his brain so he took no chances and retired.It would be awful for that to happen to a guy like Roenick who plays hard every night

Brett suffered more than just 1 serious concussion.......from The Lighthouse: Islander News.........

http://www.isles-list.com/index.cfm?...s&articleid=99

Lindros, a rugged 6-foot-3, 220-pound winger, suffered three serious concussions since he turned professional with the Islanders for the 1994-95 season. He suffered two of the concussions this season. The first was on Nov. 16 at Los Angeles, after which he sat out two games, and the next on Nov. 24 at Buffalo, which sidelined him for the rest of the season.

Lindros was examined by four doctors, who all told him that he was becoming progressively susceptible to concussions and that the effect of such injuries is cumulative. Faced with this medical evidence, Lindros said he had little choice but to retire.

Toonces 04-29-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander the Great

Brett had more concussions that was ever diagnosed. Research and treatment on head injuries really was in it's infancy when Brett began to have problems. The wisdom of the past dictated that players could play through concussions, so when somebody just got their "bell rung" the medical staff would just throw them back out there.

Medical researchers are discovering that the brain tissue is actually incredibly resiliant, but people who sustain brain injuries need time to heal. Much of Brett's troubles had to do with the fact that he was put right back on the ice the next night, and what would happen is that the bruise on his brain wouldn't heal, and it would just get hit again, and again, and again, causing compounding tramua.

Imagine if you had a bruise on your leg from a puck, and every game you got another puck in that same exact area. The bruise would never heal, and some of the tissue would begin to die. Brain injuries work in a very similar way.

AGraveOne 04-29-2004 01:24 PM

i wonder if it has something to do with head-shape? i mean those Lindros boys have angular noggins and maybe that causes increased brain-bang...

sorry, just been wondering about that lately.

anonymous* 04-29-2004 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGraveOne
i wonder if it has something to do with head-shape? i mean those Lindros boys have angular noggins and maybe that causes increased brain-bang...

sorry, just been wondering about that lately.

What is Pat Lafontaine's head-shape? He had serious problems as well.

amonte11 04-29-2004 03:56 PM

I love Roenick, he's a great player. What I'm saying is that the Flyers are going to have to look into finding a replacement, maybe not this offseason but probably next. One more good concusion and he might be through. Now about long term effects, I believe their was an Islander named Lapointe or La....something, can't remember at the moment, but he suffered a serious concusion that left him with symptoms for 10 years. So it is possible to get one that bad.

RADU 04-30-2004 12:02 PM

in comparison to the other centers his age he's gotta be one of the most active
but i honestly wouldnt mind seeing him go.. philly has so much to work with.. truly a stanely cup team. competition is fierce but with or without J-Ro they can take it.