HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   looking at the Gomez trade today... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=747536)

shayne 03-07-2010 07:11 PM

looking at the Gomez trade today...

the deal is lopsided in Montreal's favor not NY, sure the ticket is huge, it helped the Rags get Gaborik but Gomez helped Montreal get gionta and cammilleri, pyatt has done a real good job in his role, no0 offense but a dog on a bone on the puck and great speed, Gomez has 29 points in his last 30 game

Higgins did nothing and mcdonough may never turn out

Gainey deserves credit and scott deserves credit for playing so well, the other thing is you look at what is on the contract not the cap hit, Gomez will earn $30 million over 5 years, same money as cammy and if you take a look at the contract Burke gave Komisarek( paying him 6 million next year) you realize we ain't doing so bad

the other good thing is the contract dollar drops over the next few years, if you need to move him, it is good to have a high cap number and a low salary for about 10 teams who have a hard time getting to the salalry floor, i would imagine Gomez would be a good player in columbus or atlanta or nashville or even tampa if they trade lecavalier which they will when they have to pay stamkos 6 or 7 million a year

i'm just saying, not enough people are looking at the actual production and play of scott, it has been pretty good

Keep it up Scott!

Tarot Sport* 03-07-2010 07:18 PM

Since when are the Canadiens relevant?

FutureGM97 03-07-2010 07:19 PM

we won't know how well the trade turns out for NYR until McDonagh and if he comes over Valentenko (sp?) come and play.

Hermit Wizard Eater 03-07-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarot Sport (Post 24363011)

They will always be relevant :cry:

BIG 03-07-2010 07:21 PM

Cap hit is all that matters.

Garfinkel1 03-07-2010 07:21 PM

At 7m/yr (Something like that) he is not worth it. He is a 4-5M/yr guy. He is not worth his contract and I am suprised the Rangers got what they did for a mistake. A good prospect and a guy who cant seem to put it together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureGM97 (Post 24363044)
we won't know how well the trade turns out for NYR until McDonagh and if he comes over Valentenko (sp?) come and play.

Na. The trade worked out great. We got rid of a player making way too much money. If a 7th round pick came back the other way it still would be a good trade.

I like Gomez... hes a good player but making way too much $$.

Slot 3 03-07-2010 07:23 PM

A brutal contract is still a brutal contract, no matter how you wanna look at it.

bassassin 03-07-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shayne (Post 24362815)
the deal is lopsided in Montreal's favor not NY, sure the ticket is huge, it helped the Rags get Gaborik but Gomez helped Montreal get gionta and cammilleri, pyatt has done a real good job in his role, no0 offense but a dog on a bone on the puck and great speed, Gomez has 29 points in his last 30 game

Gainey deserves credit and scott deserves credit for playing so well, the other thing is you look at what is on the contract not the cap hit, Gomez will earn $30 million over 5 years, same money as cammy and if you take a look at the contract Burke gave Komisarek( paying him 6 million next year) you realize we ain't doing so bad

the other good thing is the contract dollar drops over the next few years, if you need to move him, it is good to have a high cap number and a low salary for about 10 teams who have a hard time getting to the salalry floor, i would imagine Gomez would be a good player in columbus or atlanta or nashville or even tampa if they trade lecavalier which they will when they have to pay stamkos 6 or 7 million a year

i'm just saying, not enough people are looking at the actual production and play of scott, it has been pretty good

Keep it up Scott!

Link?

Stanley Foobrick 03-07-2010 07:24 PM

"today"..... both teams fighting for their playoff lives, no clear winner as of now.

TylerDurden 03-07-2010 07:25 PM

Even if the Rangers didn't acquire one player from the Habs they would have won the trade.

hlundqvist30* 03-07-2010 07:55 PM

So let me get this straight...

The Habs acquired a 30 year old 7.5 million dollar player on pace for a 14 goal and 60 point season and a 22 year old with 1 goal and 3 assists through 25 games.

The Rangers acquired the cap space necessary to add a 27 year old 7.5 million dollar player on pace for a 46 goal and 92 point season, a defenseman lose to NHL ready who is in the top 5 of what is considered an elite prospect pool, and a player who helped them get a center who so far has put up 7 points in 9 games with the team.

And the Habs won the trade. Got it.

superstar436 03-07-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shayne (Post 24362815)

Keep it up Scott!

Come and see me next year at this same exact date, when you will not have enough money to sign pleks and give markov, price/halak a raise.

weplaythetrap 03-07-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 24364183)
So let me get this straight...

The Habs acquired a 30 year old 7.5 million dollar player on pace for a 14 goal and 60 point season and a 22 year old with 1 goal and 3 assists through 25 games.

The Rangers acquired the cap space necessary to add a 27 year old 7.5 million dollar player on pace for a 46 goal and 92 point season, a defenseman lose to NHL ready who is in the top 5 of what is considered an elite prospect pool, and a player who helped them get a center who so far has put up 7 points in 9 games with the team.

And the Habs won the trade. Got it.

Top 5 prospect pool? Still counting MDZ and "gilroy"

TheAngryHank 03-07-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarot Sport (Post 24363011)

LOL The op took all the time to type that and you blast him with that gem , hilaroius!

BwayBshirt 03-07-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weplaythetrap (Post 24365666)
Top 5 prospect pool? Still counting MDZ and "gilroy"

Poster said "top 5 in an elite pool". Didn't say top 5 pool.

WTFMAN99 03-07-2010 08:46 PM

Looking at the trade today and then I can tell you the same thing, it was a bad trade for Montreal. Spin it however you want if it makes you sleep at night.

ales83fan 03-07-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassassin (Post 24363162)
Link?

did you just ask for a link for that? Wow.

I forgot forums are serious business.

Minirex22* 03-07-2010 08:49 PM

LOL at Canadiens.

bassassin 03-07-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ales83fan (Post 24365892)
did you just ask for a link for that? Wow.

I forgot forums are serious business.

Just annoying when people are continually claiming Vinny is going to leave due to one reason or other. I mean it was going to be when he was a UFA, then it was going to be at the deadline, the draft, this summer, this year etc etc it gets old.

So it was politely ask where they had heard this ******** or get an infraction.

Yelnats Puc 03-07-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 (Post 24364183)
[...]
The Rangers acquired the cap space necessary to add a 27 year old 7.5 million dollar player on pace for a 46 goal and 92 point season...

This.

After trading Gomez, the Rangers were able to turn around and get Gaborik at only slightly more than what Gomez was costing them. That fact alone makes this a huge win for the Rangers.

Let's revisit this next year once we see how badly Gomez's contract hampers Gauthier's ability to add/keep players in the off season.

Islanderfan72 03-07-2010 09:24 PM

This trade really got me pissed because I took confront in knowing the rangers would be stuck in cap hell forever. Then they trade away gomez and sign gabsuck. Plus the rag$ got a good defensive prospect in mcdonough. This will always be a failure in my book because it let the rangers get a top scorer. (although they still have problems :D)

Datsyuk2Zetterberg 03-07-2010 09:35 PM

Had MTL signed Koivu gotten Cams and Gionta they would've been much better off. Gainey is an idiot for letting Koivu walk.

ales83fan 03-07-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassassin (Post 24365980)
Just annoying when people are continually claiming Vinny is going to leave due to one reason or other. I mean it was going to be when he was a UFA, then it was going to be at the deadline, the draft, this summer, this year etc etc it gets old.

So it was politely ask where they had heard this ******** or get an infraction.

Does them getting an infraction make you feel WAY better, because if so, that's weird.

And obviously most people on HF won't actually know if Lecavalier will have to get traded when Stamkos is going to get a raise.... SO asking for a link makes one look like something belonging in a toolshed.

King In The North 03-07-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ales83fan (Post 24367526)
Does them getting an infraction make you feel WAY better, because if so, that's weird.

And obviously most people on HF won't actually know if Lecavalier will have to get traded when Stamkos is going to get a raise.... SO asking for a link makes one look like something belonging in a toolshed.

No but following the rules is also nice, you should try it. And there is such thing as speculation.

Looking at the Gomez trade today, I'd still consider Plekanec the better center, and Gomez is being paid for more than whatever he is producing now. Meaning he is still overpaid and doesn't necessarily make Montreal better.

overlords 03-07-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue'sClues (Post 24363181)
"today"..... both teams fighting for their playoff lives, no clear winner as of now.

/thread.