HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   So is Bauer considered to be the best? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=747544)

Badger36 03-07-2010 08:47 PM

So is Bauer considered to be the best?
 
About 2 months ago I decided to learn how to ice skate so that I could eventually start playing some pickup hockey at the local rinks.
Anyways, I bought a pair of Nike Bauer Supreme One05s and in the past 2 months Ive had at least 5 instances where I was skating at one of the local rinks and had someone say to me, "Hey, nice skates!"
So, that brings up the question: is Bauer considered to be the best hockey equipment?

RJC 03-07-2010 08:48 PM

Well it's pretty subjective. They are the skates on which others are judged, thats for sure.

Badger36 03-07-2010 08:52 PM

Its just weird because they were only $65 skates, so its not like I spent a fortune on them. Im kind of new to hockey equipment (getting into playing at age 29, so Im a definete late bloomer) and I bought the Bauers because they fit my feet the best. Thus far I love the skates and the Bauer sticks Ive looked at look really nice.
Ive also noticed that a lot of players at all levels use Bauer stuff, but I question how much of that is stuff they actually buy for themselves or the fact that Bauer "sponsors" them and provides them with equipment to get their name out there.
Thats why Im curious.

noobman 03-07-2010 09:01 PM

I would never consider buying anything other than Bauer skates, myself.

As far as other pieces of equipment go, there's no real clear-cut winner. I prefer Easton or RBK sticks myself... and for protective gear (gloves, shins, pants, shoulder pads, elbow pads, helmet) I just go for the ones that feel the most comfortable. My pants are Easton brand and my shoulder pads are something crappy (probably Winwell), but the rest of my stuff happens to be Bauer.

Ti-girl 03-07-2010 09:10 PM

and I hate Bauer.
I've tried their skates, including the one90s when they came out and they were nothing but problems. They gave me blisters where I didn't think you could GET blisters and they cut up the back of my legs.

I'm a CCM/RBK girl all the way.

AIREAYE 03-07-2010 09:27 PM

The One05's look similar to the elite level One95's, that is the ONLY reason ppl say that, its not cuz Bauer is better or not...You could owna pair of low end CCM Vector 04's and ppl will say that cuz they look like the elite U+ skates

Heat McManus 03-07-2010 09:29 PM

Bauer has the largest market share and is the most popular....which to some people mean they are the best.

Bauer is considered to make the best skates by many people in the industry. Reebok is by far the best protective. Easton the best performing sticks. Gloves, is a bit more open.

My opinion, the BEST is what FITS you THE BEST. If a Bauer skate does not hug your foot the way it should, then its not the best.

Heat McManus 03-07-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ti-girl (Post 24364617)
and I hate Bauer.
I've tried their skates, including the one90s when they came out and they were nothing but problems. They gave me blisters where I didn't think you could GET blisters and they cut up the back of my legs.

I'm a CCM/RBK girl all the way.

One90s gave a lot of people problems. If you didn't have a foot taken straight from an anatomy textbook there was going to be problems. Like the original U+, it had a lot of construction problems as well. The next line (One95, One75...) is far more accommodating to different types of feet.

But, still not for everybody.

Maupin Fan 03-07-2010 09:32 PM

Yes, Bauer is the best.

quoth the Raven 03-07-2010 09:43 PM

I recently got my first pair of skates and I went with Rbk. I've only had them about a month but I haven't had any problems yet and they feel pretty comfortable, so I'm pleased.

nystromshairstylist 03-07-2010 09:59 PM

I have Grafs, and they make a skate that fits my non-typical foot well...as said above, try on different manufacturer's skates to see what is most suitable.

My gear is all over the map, Reebok elbow pads, sher-wood stick, tackla pants, bauer shoulder/knee pads. etc. - try on everything before buying.

As a side note, the Bauer One55 woodie didn't do it for me...but generally their stuff seems pretty well made.

cmdrdredd 03-07-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ti-girl (Post 24364617)
and I hate Bauer.
I've tried their skates, including the one90s when they came out and they were nothing but problems. They gave me blisters where I didn't think you could GET blisters and they cut up the back of my legs.

I'm a CCM/RBK girl all the way.

I'm about the same. Bauer stuff looks nice and has great features but they just don't fit me. CCM works better for my feet, RBK (being the parent company) feels good too.

Best is so subjective. Honestly it's about comfort. If they don't feel good you won't skate your best. I will say that in my area Bauer is more popular but that might be because the kids buy what everyone else has.

Hrad 03-07-2010 10:05 PM

Ha yeah, they probably got it confused with a high-end skate.(No offense)

A friend of mine has low end CCM Vector skates that cost him around $100, he got a couple of compliments from people thinking they were from the U+ line, especially since all of CCM's skates look almost identical.

Anyways though, I prefer to not follow the crowd as much and stand out a bit. I use a CCM U+ CL stick, I'm probably the only one in my league to do so.

cmdrdredd 03-07-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heat McManus (Post 24365377)
Bauer has the largest market share and is the most popular....which to some people mean they are the best.

Bauer is considered to make the best skates by many people in the industry. Reebok is by far the best protective. Easton the best performing sticks. Gloves, is a bit more open.

My opinion, the BEST is what FITS you THE BEST. If a Bauer skate does not hug your foot the way it should, then its not the best.

What makes you say that, out of curiosity. What does the reebok skates do or have that make them more protective? As for stick, well don't know how one is better performing than others. If I learned on a RBK stick I would probably have to re-learn the feel for a Bauer stick that has a slightly different curve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrad (Post 24366410)
Ha yeah, they probably got it confused with a high-end skate.(No offense)

A friend of mine has low end CCM Vector skates that cost him around $100, he got a couple of compliments from people thinking they were from the U+ line, especially since all of CCM's skates look almost identical.

Anyways though, I prefer to not follow the crowd as much and stand out a bit. I use a CCM U+ CL stick, I'm probably the only one in my league to do so.

How do you like that stick? I've never handled one before because the local LHS never has stock on the CL.

Hrad 03-07-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrdredd (Post 24366556)
How do you like that stick? I've never handled one before because the local LHS never has stock on the CL.

I love it, it's insanely light so you can do everything you want to do as fast as you want to do it, sometimes even with one hand :P.

Not only that but the paint job is really great, I don't know what it is but I've used one of mine in about 10 or 11 games/practices already and hardly any paint is chipping off. It could pass for a "Used once" stick.

The only downside is that they are quite hard to find, especially in the right flex and pattern. :shakehead

cmdrdredd 03-07-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrad (Post 24366825)
I love it, it's insanely light so you can do everything you want to do as fast as you want to do it, sometimes even with one hand :P.

Not only that but the paint job is really great, I don't know what it is but I've used one of mine in about 10 or 11 games/practices already and hardly any paint is chipping off. It could pass for a "Used once" stick.

The only downside is that they are quite hard to find, especially in the right flex and pattern. :shakehead

Well, I have a free one on the way from CCM since I just got some U+ Pro Reloaded skates. I suppose I'll find out then (couple months). I didn't know the different curves and flex options because I've never been able to handle one.

Maupin Fan 03-07-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrdredd (Post 24366556)
What makes you say that, out of curiosity. What does the reebok skates do or have that make them more protective? As for stick, well don't know how one is better performing than others. If I learned on a RBK stick I would probably have to re-learn the feel for a Bauer stick that has a slightly different curve.



How do you like that stick? I've never handled one before because the local LHS never has stock on the CL.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I took that to mean that Reebok has the best line of protective (elbows, shinnies, shouldies) gear, not that they are the most protective line of skates. And I would agree with that about Reebok since they use the Jofa JDP template for their gear.

cmdrdredd 03-07-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 (Post 24366995)
Correct me if Im wrong, but I took that to mean that Reebok has the best line of protective (elbows, shinnies, shouldies) gear, not that they are the most protective line of skates. And I would agree with that about Reebok since they use the Jofa JDP template for their gear.

Oh ok yeah now I see, best protective gear.

SpringfieldSkins 03-07-2010 10:33 PM

I think that Bauer is the most popular brand and thus accepted as the best brand.

I bought CCM U+ 09 skates because they felt the best on my foot when I was trying them on. Because the U+ felt the best to me, I went ahead and ordered all CCM equipment online. Hopefully they fit on the rest of the CCM equipment will be as good as the skates I have.


As far as the general opinion, it's probably Bauer, CCM, Reebok in that order.

Badger36 03-07-2010 10:43 PM

That would probably explain why so many people have complimented me on my skates. LOL

Badger36 03-07-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringfieldSkins (Post 24367426)
As far as the general opinion, it's probably Bauer, CCM, Reebok in that order.

CCM and Reebok are pretty much the same. CCM is owned by Reebok. I recently won an Ebay auction for a CCM Vector stick and it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Nike Bauer sticks Ive used.
I was actually planning on buying a new Sherwood stick, but I managed to score this CCM stick on Ebay for less money. Since Im not 100% sure that Im going to like playing hockey enough to continue it long-term, Im trying to save money on hockey equipment when possible.

SpringfieldSkins 03-07-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBucky (Post 24367819)
CCM and Reebok are pretty much the same. CCM is owned by Reebok.

Which is why I put Reebok so high.

Heat McManus 03-07-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrdredd (Post 24366556)
What makes you say that, out of curiosity. What does the reebok skates do or have that make them more protective? As for stick, well don't know how one is better performing than others. If I learned on a RBK stick I would probably have to re-learn the feel for a Bauer stick that has a slightly different curve.


By protective I meant elbows, shoulder, shin, and pants.

Easton has the largest market share of sticks as well as the most NHLers using them (lower leagues are mostly contracted to Reebok, so you can't judge by that).

cmdrdredd 03-07-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heat McManus (Post 24368699)
By protective I meant elbows, shoulder, shin, and pants.

Easton has the largest market share of sticks as well as the most NHLers using them (lower leagues are mostly contracted to Reebok, so you can't judge by that).

I got the protective gear thing. I read the comment wrong. I guess if you're buying what the pros use and what is popular then you'd probably go with Easton. I think some areas have different brand loyalties too. A lot of new people seem to use what the guys who are good in their local area use. At least until they know what the different brands and models offer them. That's what I've noticed anyway.

Badger36 03-07-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringfieldSkins (Post 24368601)
Which is why I put Reebok so high.

I have a hard time buying anything Reebok because of their affiliation with Crosby. Who knows though, if I like this CCM stick I might have to put my Crosby hating boycot of Reebok aside.
When I was shopping for skates I tried on a pair of Reeboks and they fit really well.
I checked out a few Reebok sticks at the local hockey shop and while they were a little pricey, they looked like really sweet sticks and were really light.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.